The Sun: "Mika's our new hope for Europe"

Droopsy

It is often said that the UK share of the vote plummeted after we helped the US to invade Iraq - and there may have been some truth in that at the time. But I don't think it's true now.

I think there are so many countries now, standing out in the crowd is difficult. Top 10 is quite good, in that context. We did OK with Jade, but this year was just a rubbish song.

my country also helped US:mf_rosetinted:

but hey,it was not me... the politicians did,not me.:mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some years ago, Daan (great Belgian singer) wanted to write a song for Eurovision but now I think he hid that idea in a dark closet. Personally, if Mika wants to do it, I'll support him, but I really hope he won't because I doubt he would do himself any favours.

Eurovision had its day and that day is long passed. now it's just a total shambles with - if you're lucky - one or two half-decent songs in the whole line-up. It used to be camp and fun. now it's just painful to watch. it's not camp, but trashy and certainly no fun.

Please, Mika, stay away...as far as possible.

i can imagine mika thinking about this....

"oh,it´s great... perhaps it would be a great idea... me writting the song for eurovision... mmmmm.... i like the idea!!... let´s see how happy are my fans...."

*goes to mfc*

*finds the thread*

*reads the thread*

:shocked::boxed:

i can imagine mika thinking about this....

"oh,it´s great... perhaps it would be a great idea... me writting the song for eurovision... mmmmm.... i like the idea!!... let´s see how happy are my fans...."

*goes to mfc*

*finds the thread*

*reads the thread*

:shocked::boxed:

Hope so!!!! And I hope his management is decent and don't try to persuade him do it for money reasons... But he's a smart person, he'll do the right thing at the end! :thumb_yello:

I would really like to hear what he thinks about Eurovision. And I mean his private opinion not the one for interviews :teehee:

Noooooooooooooo! That's not the right direction for him.... :shocked:

Eurovision is terrible. It has a terrible reputation among "serious" music lovers. Even if this strange girl from Germany won this year.

If he does that, then he'll lose whatever reputation as a serious musician he ever had in Germany. Perhaps he'll sell more records & be more well known. But the price for that..... And if he loses, then it will REALLY be humiliating... Because if you lose Eurovision you're really THE LOSER.

And I won't EVER again be able to wear my Shout T-Shirt in public. PPle will laugh at me... :crybaby:

P.S. We need a new smilie to express my feelings for that news. It should look like that:

der-schrei.jpg

Munk is far better than Eurovision. Thanks for the pic. One of my favourites.:wub2:

Hope so!!!! And I hope his management is decent and don't try to persuade him do it for money reasons... But he's a smart person, he'll do the right thing at the end! :thumb_yello:

I would really like to hear what he thinks about Eurovision. And I mean his private opinion not the one for interviews :teehee:

tell me how are you going to get that :mf_rosetinted:

The article has been posted on the AOL homepage now :teehee:

http://music.aol.co.uk/music-news/mika-to-write-for-eurovision/article/20100715065409990001?ic

...When I saw the MIKA and Eurovision headlines I thought for one scary moment he was going to be performing lol !!

I absolutely LOVE Eurovision, but know we will never, ever have any chance of winning... whoever writes our song... :annoyed_h4h:

Don't do it....it would be professional suicide!!! This is not the sort of publicity he wants/needs....is it?? Who wants to be known as the writer of the song that comes last, which invariably it would, regardless of whether it is the best song ever written..

I love the cheesiness of Eurovision, but if he wants to be taken seriously, then the powers that be should really reconsider....

Who would sing it? I'm sure half of us could make a better, and more tuneful, attempt than the last couple of years' efforts!!

Haven't we heard this before, anyway....?

I too have read through now about it. I have double feeling. I want and do not want simultaneously. It seems to me, that choose not the best song, but the country on certain political grounds.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nhttp://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/mika-to-get-involved-in-eurovision_1152978sf/story/mika-to-get-involved-in-eurovision_1152978

Am I the only one who likes the idea?

I love EUROVISION! Planning to attend next year's final anyway (here in Gernany - note: May 14th 2011! :wink2:).

Mika's a great songwriter. Whoever performs his song woule be doing a lot better than the UK did the last couple of years. :thumb_yello:

Sorry, I don't agree on that. Whenever the UK sent a good song it DID rank well - when they didn't, well, you didn't.

The thing is - the UK hasn't taken this competition seriously in a long time (except in 2009) - the not-so-good places were well deserved!

Remember 2009 and Jade taking number 5 with a great ballad?! There the effort paid off - and so it will be if Mika writes the song - and they pick a good performer to sing it.

It has been exactly the same not-caring attitude in Germany for quite some time. Luckily this has changed now.

I think - if I remeber well - in 2008 it was more about Mika competing himself for Lebanon since at that time the Lebanon was thinking about joining the European broadcast union.

--> All, in all, I like the idea. 'Cause I very often had pity for the English entry. Wouldn't be the case in 2011 then. And that's what counts IMHO.

Well put! The year that we came fifth, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the song, and HE is deffinately still taken seriously as a musician. I know Eurovision has been in the doldrums in recent years, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

I just think the UK needs to handle it better and choose a better singer to perform the song (or better yet, Mika himself) and let's face it, we can't get any worse than last place but if Mika writes us a decent song, I think we could win it! I've often thought that such and such a Mika song would knock spots off Eurovision. He's also very well known and popular in Europe. He could give Eurovision the shot-in-the-arm it really needs and bring it back to the golden days when the likes of of ABBA were in it.

Let's face it, his latest releases haven't done well in the UK, so he really has nothing to loose and a lot to gain by writing for Eurovision. At least the song would probably actually get played and get into the top 20!!

But in the end it's his decision whether he does this or not. In his career he makes his own decisions, and whether his decisions are right or wrong, one of the things I love about him is that he won't be told what to do. He does what he thinks is best.

I wish him well whatever his career choice is.

I too have read through now about it. I have double feeling. I want and do not want simultaneously. It seems to me, that choose not the best song, but the country on certain political grounds.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nhttp://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/mika-to-get-involved-in-eurovision_1152978sf/story/mika-to-get-involved-in-eurovision_1152978

Agreed. Even Serbia and Russia won the Eurovison contest that didn't mean anything important except for the raising of the patriotic proud.:teehee:

Well put! The year that we came fifth, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the song, and HE is deffinately still taken seriously as a musician. I know Eurovision has been in the doldrums in recent years, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

I just think the UK needs to handle it better and choose a better singer to perform the song (or better yet, Mika himself) and let's face it, we can't get any worse than last place but if Mika writes us a decent song, I think we could win it! I've often thought that such and such a Mika song would knock spots off Eurovision. He's also very well known and popular in Europe. He could give Eurovision the shot-in-the-arm it really needs and bring it back to the golden days when the likes of of ABBA were in it.

Let's face it, his latest releases haven't done well in the UK, so he really has nothing to loose and a lot to gain by writing for Eurovision. At least the song would probably actually get played and get into the top 20!!

But in the end it's his decision whether he does this or not. In his career he makes his own decisions, and whether his decisions are right or wrong, one of the things I love about him is that he won't be told what to do. He does what he thinks is best.

I wish him well whatever his career choice is.

To be fair, Sir Andrew has always been respected, but here Mika isn't, too many narrow minded people.

And if he does decide to write a song, and gets someone half decent to sing it, he still has to get past the other entries put up for it here, and to be honest, if people see his name attached, I fear their prejudices will get the better of them, and he won't even get through to the main competition.

I watched a programme, where Justin Lee Collins, a huge fan of Eurovision, wanted to enter, and he managed to get a spot singing for Ireland, if he got a good song. At the last minute he got Ronan Keating to write one for him.

Even with this behind him, Ronan being almost a national hero, he still didn't get to get through to the National heats.

So it's not even guaranteed that Mika would get as far as the National Finals, it's what the Eurovision people here decide. And then like I said, the viewing public, on the night of the Nationals.

If he's 100% serious about doing it, I would support him, and vote for him to go through, but it's not a dead cert.

Sorry to be negative, it's just how it works.

I want to move to another country, we're not allowed to vote for our own entry:roftl:

I'll vote for you :wink2:

Right,me too!!!!And i guess maaaaany other peeps too!!!!

God,i wouldn't like to be a singer to compete with Mika.....:shocked:

Imagin the results:

UK 5435497906 points

''second song'' 4 points

''third song'' 2 points

all the rest of them : 0 points

:roftl:

Edit:WTF?I thought that the first page was the last one too for this thread.Don't know how off topic what i wrote seem to be then.....

I think it would be better if Mika performed his own song, you know? I can't see him writing a song for someone else and have them sing it instead. A Mika song is for Mika IMO :naughty:

And we'd probably get more points considering that the rest of Europe love Mika more than the UK itself lol :naughty:

But saying that, we've done so badly throughout the current years...political bullsh*t...each country votes for their neighbouring countries, not because they like the songs...it's dumb, stupid and a waste of time sometimes.

Don't do it....it would be professional suicide!!! This is not the sort of publicity he wants/needs....is it?? Who wants to be known as the writer of the song that comes last, which invariably it would, regardless of whether it is the best song ever written..

I love the cheesiness of Eurovision, but if he wants to be taken seriously, then the powers that be should really reconsider....

Who would sing it? I'm sure half of us could make a better, and more tuneful, attempt than the last couple of years' efforts!!

Haven't we heard this before, anyway....?

yes, Mika said (apparently) in early 2007 that he would gladly represent LEBANON in the Eurovision Song Contest but would have to wait until 2009 because Eurovision weren't allowed to do it back then...or something...

don't ask why I remember that :naughty:

I think it would be better if Mika performed his own song, you know? I can't see him writing a song for someone else and have them sing it instead. A Mika song is for Mika IMO :naughty:

And we'd probably get more points considering that the rest of Europe love Mika more than the UK itself lol :naughty:

But saying that, we've done so badly throughout the current years...political bullsh*t...each country votes for their neighbouring countries, not because they like the songs...it's dumb, stupid and a waste of time sometimes.

Don't know how it would be clever to appear himself.

But he could write a song for some other singer or band. He's already done it.

The question is what if he fails like it happened to some pretty famous songwriters? Who will be put the blame then?

I mean it's not so simple regarding this stupid system of voting. And the influence of political background as well.:aah:

*cough*Gaveitallaway*cough*:naughty:

Archived