I wonder why there are always so many untranslated sentences from the original article in the Italian column :blink:

Some of them:

I was nervous, not only because I was the one doing the driving (I am a terrible driver), but because this felt more like a pilgrimage than a meeting.

After getting lost...

...the same way Norman Rockwell reinvented the art of marketing illustration.

He lives with his female assistant and friend. With visitors he is generous with his thoughts and time but prefers to work and listen to Schubert.

In pop songs, melodies and lyrics have to be direct.

often with a raised voice

(the publishers made sure of that)

Disney’s first full length film.

I got my first job at eleven

Somehow, all these emotions are still communicated and crystal clear.

My Frank picture cost me $300, a fortune at the time.

I often kept this addiction secret from my friends, embarrassed of some of the risks I was taking.

Not to mention the inaccurate translations... :boxed:

Indeed... I also missed some of them. :huh: Perhaps the translation has to fit into a "given" space. :dunno:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weirdly I watched Where The Wild Things Are movie the other day - before he wrote this article ... had never seen or heard of it before ... I really enjoyed it - I really enjoyed the blog ... apart from music ... all kinds of art or illustration is my second favourite thing :wub2:

just uploaded on Mikasounds

http://www.mikasounds.com/blog

That is such a brilliant column! I always think of Mika as, not just a singer/songwriter/ columnist, but a master of visual imagery as well! It's great to know more about this side of him. It's also interesting to read the history of illustration, as explained so well by Mika's writing.

I can't draw, but I'm excited fot the fans who can and who will send their work in to Mika's competition. Good luck!!

I forgot to say that it was also skipped such an important sentence as "make your own illustration inside the frame", so I guess nobody did it that way.

I don't understand how it can happen :blink:

I forgot to say that it was also skipped such an important sentence as "make your own illustration inside the frame", so I guess nobody did it that way.

I don't understand how it can happen :blink:

i also wondered how it could be done... i tried to print the page from Mikasounds, but it didn't work.

Have you tried directly from XL site?

Indeed... I also missed some of them. :huh: Perhaps the translation has to fit into a "given" space. :dunno:

That could be why.

Perhaps what seems like important details to us because we follow Mika and his career ... isn't so important to someone who is just hired to do the translation? :dunno:

i also wondered how it could be done... i tried to print the page from Mikasounds, but it didn't work.

Have you tried directly from XL site?

I haven't tried from the XL site. Instead, I have edited the high quality image I posted before, leaving only the frame and deleting the question mark.

Here it is, in case somebody needs it :wink2:

I noticed too the missing sentence or bad translated so many times!

But I believe it's totally for a space reason, most of the time they put the column in the most strange ways to put it in just one page! :roftl:

That could be why.

Perhaps what seems like important details to us because we follow Mika and his career ... isn't so important to someone who is just hired to do the translation? :dunno:

Yes, that could be the reason, but sometimes, depending of the sentence you skip, the following sentence doesn't make sense. For instance, here, when it's said "I didn't stop there" having skipped the previous sentence about the money he spent:

Frank was subversive but my parents had no idea. My Frank picture cost me $300, a fortune at the time. I didn’t stop there.

I noticed too the missing sentence or bad translated so many times!

But I believe it's totally for a space reason, most of the time they put the column in the most strange ways to put it in just one page! :roftl:

Yes, it happens in every column :blink:

I guess so :dunno:

I noticed that too... but i've already sent my drawing so now i really don't know what to do... :boxed:

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, because they could edit the image and insert it inside the frame, unless the shape doesn't fit into it. After all it's their fault if they have that extra work :aah: ...unless they don't send the image to Mika if it isn't inside the frame... Well, if I were you, I would send it again with the change made :thumb_yello:

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, because they could edit the image and insert it inside the frame, unless the shape doesn't fit into it. After all it's their fault if they have that extra work :aah: ...unless they don't send the image to Mika if it isn't inside the frame... Well, if I were you, I would send it again with the change made :thumb_yello:

Yeah...I'll do it!!! :thumb_yello:

Peeps, he writes his column to be published in the XL. If he wrote that your drawings should fit into the frame, but the magazine cut that part out, they can't blame you guys... I don't believe they would exclude any of your attempts for this reason. :wink2:

Peeps, he writes his column to be published in the XL. If he wrote that your drawings should fit into the frame, but the magazine cut that part out, they can't blame you guys... I don't believe they would exclude any of your attempts for this reason. :wink2:

The problem is if they send the draws to Mika directly,and Mika hasn´t read the translation :aah:

That could be why.

Exactly. "Normal" people wouldn't notice the difference. :naughty: Anyway, the context became really weird without those parts, as PurpleCat said. :teehee:

The problem is if they send the draws to Mika directly,and Mika hasn´t read the translation :aah:

Hahahaha Yeah, that could be also a problem, but I don't believe Mika sends them his column and never looks for it again, after being published. He'll probably check what they did with his words. :teehee:

Hahahaha Yeah, that could be also a problem, but I don't believe Mika sends them his column and never looks for it again, after being published. He'll probably check what they did with his words. :teehee:

with his amazing italian :mf_rosetinted:

Well, he shouldn't have any reason to do it. It's expected to be well translated. Besides, Italian isn't his mother tongue, so he may just trust them, although I'm sure he would notice all these mistakes.

Maybe if it was French, he would check it out.

Or maybe after this incident he decides to have a look at it :aah:

with his amazing italian :mf_rosetinted:

Well, he shouldn't have any reason to do it. It's expected to be well translated. Besides, Italian isn't his mother tongue, so he may just trust them, although I'm sure he would notice all these mistakes.

Maybe if it was French, he would check it out.

Or maybe after this incident he decides to have a look at it :aah:

Don't know... I thought he could understand it a little bit :blush-anim-cl:

[YOUTUBE]7qjRL9oveM0[/YOUTUBE]