Just curious Laura: What are you trying to do here with such a remark?

Causing another heated debate, perhaps?

Thanks, that was very kind of you. :thumb_yello: I will be more careful in the future.

*starts looking for a "Mika's sexy bottom" thread :drool: *

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've got much better at preventing tangential (and often fascinating) debates from cluttering gig threads lately IMO, and I think we could get the hang of it in threads like this too.

It would have helped people interested in debating abortion too, if the debate had promptly moved its own, better named thread. If someone thinks of something in a month or so that they think would interest other debaters they could do so, whereas now they'll first have to remember which thread the abortion debate was in, then maybe drop their insight into a debate about Mika's next column, whatever that's about. I hope he comes back with a real cracker.

@SoSi The debate is in the thread of the article in which MIKA expressed his views.

That is easy to remember. :wink2:

lets! :teehee:

:roftl:

You troublemaker:naughty:

'm pro gay union:biggrin2:

Yes, so am I.

Actually, I don't think this topic would bring heated arguments from Mika fans, most of whom, I believe, are more open minded than the general population.

@SoSi The debate is in the thread of the article in which MIKA expressed his views.

That is easy to remember. :wink2:

There wouldn't be a "looking for something" thread if it was easy to remember where he said what (or wore what) :roftl: I'm forever thinking "now I know he said that somewhere"

And I wouldn't call adding "pro choice" to a lot of other standard opinions in a finishing flourish "expressing his views". It wouldn't surprise me if his views on abortion were actually more ambivalent when it came to real people

Edited by Soaring Simpson

:roftl:

You troublemaker:naughty:

why would you say that I'm a good girl!:shun:

yeah right:devil:

Yes, so am I.

Actually, I don't think this topic would bring heated arguments from Mika fans, most of whom, I believe, are more open minded than the general population.

ahahah you're right

then what else is there to talk about his column..?

the honey diped ginger? :aah:

I am myself interested in HIS views on serious and/or superficial subjects, but not in his 20,000 fan club members opinions, to be honest…

I am not interested in all fans' opinions, either, only the ones I find original :original: - and that usually includes all the fans taking time to word their views. I really I respect that.

Unimportant posts I skip, I must admit, and so can everyone.

what else is there to talk about his column..?

the honey diped ginger? :aah:

I don't remember that at all .:teehee: I read this article on a bus and it seems only the most important parts remained in my memory.. well, the ones I found interesting, anyway.

Actually, I have a question about 'gay union' - mainly to the English speaking fans. Legally, gay union and gay marriage, is the same, so whichever word you use is up to you , isn't it.

In Hungary, gay couples living together have recently been granted similar rights as heterosexual couples although I wouldn't be surprised if the new government abolished those soon. They even want to include the ten commandments in the new constitution they are currently wording...:blink:

Edited by suzie

I am not interested in all fans' opinions, either, only the ones I find original :original: - and that usually includes all the fans taking time to word their views. I really I respect that.

Unimportant posts I skip, I must admit.

I totally skipped that.:teehee: I read this article on a bus and it seems only the most important parts remained in my memory.. well, the ones I found interesting, anyway.

Actually, I have a question about 'gay union' - mainly to the English speaking fans. Legally, gay union and gay marriage, is the same, so whichever word you use is up to you , isn't it.

In Hungary, gay couples living together have recently been granted similar rights as heterosexual couples although I wouldn't be surprised if the new government abolished those soon. They even want to include the ten commandments in the new constitution they are currently wording...:blink:

From what I understand, a gay couple have to have the civil partnership ceremony, which is akin to a straight wedding, to be able to get the same rights, and benefits as married couples.

Unlike straight couples that live together, who can get similar benefits to married couples, gay couples in the same situations can't get these benefits, which I find unfair. What's good for one is good for the other.

I don't remember that at all .:teehee: I read this article on a bus and it seems only the most important parts remained in my memory.. well, the ones I found interesting, anyway.

Legally it's called "civil partnership" in England and is very much the same ceremony as a register office wedding with the same rights as any marriage. I'd say it's probably more politically correct to say gay marriage, as saying "gay union" can be taken to imply that you personally don't give it equal status. (Though come to think, there's probably a contrary, equally vocal, school of thought that would put it the other way round.)

@Rose and SoSi Thank you, for clarifying it for me!

Unlike straight couples that live together, who can get similar benefits to married couples, gay couples in the same situations can't get these benefits, which I find unfair. What's good for one is good for the other.

I think we have that one sorted out in Hungary, too, but you have to register. In fact, if you register, it is already "marriage like", in terms of having similar rights to married couples with the exception of using your partner's name, being able to adopt or undergo fertility treatment (I have just checked it on the net:teehee:)

L

I'd say it's probably more politically correct to say gay marriage, as saying "gay union" can be taken to imply that you personally don't give it equal status. (Though come to think, there's probably a contrary, equally vocal, school of thought that would put it the other way round.)

haha, SoSi, this is exactly why I asked...:naughty:

I was thinking, why is Mika using the word 'union' instread of 'marriage'? My instinct said that he was simply cautious about which word to use. I imagine, it is difficult to use the term "marriage" when you refer to gay couples - difficult to say as a Catholic / to Italian readers, I mean:teehee:

So you have to have a look at all posts to tell which ones are worth reading and which ones are not? What a waste of time... :blink:

What I was trying to say is a newbie would probably expect to find info about him and his ideas here, not a debate which is completely off the record. Anyway, I know off-topic is just usual on any forum, even more so in drought times. No problem, it was just a comment. I can also skip irrelevant posts.

:thumb_yello:

It's something different from Gasmics or Hair thread? :blink::roftl:

Couldn't find it. There's only one about his undies. :tears:

There wouldn't be a "looking for something" thread if it was easy to remember where he said what (or wore what) :roftl: I'm forever thinking "now I know he said that somewhere"

And I wouldn't call adding "pro choice" to a lot of other standard opinions in a finishing flourish "expressing his views". It wouldn't surprise me if his views on abortion were actually more ambivalent when it came to real people

*agrees*

So you have to have a look at all posts to tell which ones are worth reading and which ones are not? What a waste of time... :blink:

What I was trying to say is a newbie would probably expect to find info about him and his ideas here, not a debate which is completely off the record. Anyway, I know off-topic is just usual on any forum, even more so in drought times. No problem, it was just a comment. I can also skip irrelevant posts.

The column is actually pretty vague in my opinion. You get his general position, but it could mean anything.

Pro gay union: religious gay marriage?

Pro choice: any time of the pregnancy? any situation? any abortion technique?

Too vague. He had to keep it short. I think he exposed himself too much in a certain way, because unless he talks more about it, you can interpret his position as you want.

I like the column, but it sounds as if he's just choosing positions which go against the Church at the end. It was very brave of him anyway, if you think that he wants to protect his private life as much as possible. Perhaps he feels better now, who knows... :naughty:

I don't think a newbie can find his views in a MFC thread. Reading the article should be enough. (Unless His Sexy Bottomness starts posting here. :teehee: ) It's a forum after all. :dunno:

The column is actually pretty vague in my opinion. You get his general position, but it could mean anything.

Pro gay union: religious gay marriage?

Pro choice: any time of the pregnancy? any situation? any abortion technique?

Too vague.

Forgot to say: I agree :wink2:

I must admit I often do find the discussions helpful in getting to understand what Mika's views arSome of his comments can be very vague and elusive, with lots of different interpretations. The discussion helps me interpret what he's said.

Rose' comment raises an interesting issue- in the UK straight couples have almost lost the right to live together without commitment. I think it's gone a bit far.

@Rose and SoSi Thank you, for clarifying it for me!

haha, SoSi, this is exactly why I asked...:naughty:

I was thinking, why is Mika using the word 'union' instread of 'marriage'? My instinct said that he was simply cautious about which word to use. I imagine, it is difficult to use the term "marriage" when you refer to gay couples - difficult to say as a Catholic / to Italian readers, I mean:teehee:

Yes, to a lot of Christians, especially catholics, marriage (in its role as a contract surrounding sex) is considered a sacrement- that is, something God put on earth as a a model of something in heaven. When a person commits themselves to worhipping only God, He enters into them, fills their soul and overwhelms their emotions... forever. And the wonder of the relationship with God, is that it's not a union of like with like- it's GOD and humanity. If that's how you see marriage, then a gay union- like with like- isn't a marriage. Gay marriages can be loving and committed- but that's not the aspect of our relationship with God that marriage is believed to illustrate

I DON'T believe marriage was put on earth for that reason (though I do think it's a good illustration, in the same way that parenthood illustrates other aspects of the Christian life) but I do think it's unfair to howl in outrage at people who do or who pick up their beliefs from a church that does. It still leaves them thinking the same about gay marriage as any atheist.

As for Mika, I wouldn't like to say whether he's looked into the theology or not-there's no reason why he should, but his interests are so very wide ranging and quasi religious that he might very well have IMO. But he comes from an RC background which he sometimes describes as traditional and sometimes as liberal so might very well be surrounded by people who beleive there is something special and religious about same sex marriage which his language is conforming to.

Or it could simply be that if you dress and giggle like Mika no-one's ever gonna assume you're not gay friendly so he hasn't thought twice about whether to say "gay union" or "gay marriage".

Good thing that the Mika topic is usually the first post then, so that there's not a lot of scrolling to do :thumb_yello:

I must admit I often do find the discussions helpful in getting to understand what Mika's views arSome of his comments can be very vague and elusive, with lots of different interpretations. The discussion helps me interpret what he's said.

Absolutely, I really agree!:thumb_yello:

And to me the very purpose on being a member on a forum is to have the ability to talk to other people and listen to their interpretations and points of view. If I was was satisfied with only my own opinions I could just sit in my chamber listening to Mika's music with no contact with the world outside!:naughty:

And to me the very purpose on being a member on a forum is to have the ability to talk to other people and listen to their interpretations and points of view. If I was was satisfied with only my own opinions I could just sit in my chamber listening to Mika's music with no contact with the world outside!:naughty:

just :bow:

Very well said, Sienna. I totally agree.

I am myself interested in HIS views on serious and/or superficial subjects, but not in his 20,000 fan club members opinions, to be honest…

Then why are you on page 60 of a thread where his fans have been expressing their views? :blink: Are you just trying to point out that you don't respect their opinions? Because I'm thinking if you weren't interested you would just read the article and not even come to MFC, muchless trawl through all these posts and make comments.

I think most people's feelings are not so black and white when it comes to real people. I would expect men in general to be a bit more detached from the subject and not giving it as much thought as the women in this thread have, unless and until it affects someone they know.