I think that this is something no one else but the person who is in the situation of an impossible pregnancy can decide. No one else can tell you how to feel or how to think.

And I guess you know too, or should know, that abortion is a thing that has been there since women get pregnant. Illegal and in several countries now legal.

And I DO think that propaganda is that powerful. Just look look at various disputes in the world! Or think back to WWII, that was a thing of just propaganda. Never underestimate the power of the word!

Actually, I'd rather have murder legal. I would like to get rid of a couple of people I can't stand. Isn't it up to me to decide to kill them? :teehee:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why?

What's wrong with someone having the choice (key word being choice here, which doesn't mean that one will actually go ahead with an abortion, but merely that they will be able to decide) to not have a child in certain circumstances?

Having the chance to abort if one choses to, means that a 12 year old girl who is raped by her uncle will not be forced to have a baby which will ruin her life (and potentially,the life of that baby) on top of everything else.

It means that a woman who is raped by a psychotic, violent monster will not have to have his baby. There is more and more conclusive research showing that personality and mental illness are very genetically determined, which means that if your baby's father has certain traits, your baby will have many chances of having them too.

It means that if you know that you will have a severely handicapped child, whose quality of life would be appalling, you can spare them and yourself the pain.

It's not a bad thing. It's a responsability thing. Sometimes making a tough decision early on, is best in the longer term.

I said I was sad cause well I thought Mika was more peace and love –ghandi- kind of man...

and well... I’ve talk alot about this with friends that are pro choice so I’ll just say what I always say.

But first I want to say that, before I used to dive a d*mn about this toppic, I always thought people can do whatever they want with their lives and I wouldn’t have an opinion on such a controvertial topic without being in the shoes of someone who would need an abortion. And I have personal experience of friends getting pregnant at a young age....

BUT it was.. I think in 2006, when I had to participate on a debat about abortion so I had to do research and well... I read a lot of thing that made me pro life.

I’m not gonna ramble here about what I read cause I know everyone has their opinion on the toppic and I’m no expert and I know I won’t convince anyone to change their mind.

But mainly the thing is that a choice is not given to the important person here: the baby...I know people say fetos are not babys but I DO think they are. And a doctor (I can’t remember his name SORRY) who at begining of his career practiced abortion, at a certain procidure he felt that the fetos was “runing away” from the ...I don’t know how to call it in english ... runing away from the machine..?

anyways the point is fetos are living creatures. And well if I’m against killing a cockroach, Heck I’m against abortion!

Plus back then in 2006 the cases of rapes that ended up in pregnancy were about 2% (I know there most be more, cause not everyone report it)

And the only “reson” that keeps alot of people from perform abortion is that it isn’t legal.

So if it his made legal alot of girls that are actually being inresponsable with their lives will be even more irresponsable cause then if you “screw up” you can always “fix it with abortion”. Which will give wings for people to take sex in an even lighter way ...and well I think that sex is a serious matter, due to all the diseases. So... given sex a lit less of weight on the minds of young girls will probably make STDs alot more frequent.

plus..people have their choice when they decide to skip the safe sex. (no considering the rape cases)

On the other hand if its a teen girl and dosen’t want to take care of the baby plus her life is just beging and blah blah well there’s always adoption. Which I don’t get way people see it more of a tabu than abortion.

:giveup::giveup:So yeah this is just my point of view, I don’t mean to turn this into a polemic discussion:giveup::giveup:

PS sorry my terrible spelling and,I didn't read all the post ..don't have time:sorry:

Edited by atreyu

Hmmmm, reading all this I am not very sure it was such a (searching for the right word).....wise thing to write this text before doing his first gigs ever in South Amerika in few weeks time... Perhaps it would have been better if he would have waited with this specific text. I hope he doesn't get problems at interviews with those things over there. :dunno: I wouldn't be extremely happy with it, if I were his manager :doh:

Hi :biggrin2: i'm from Brazil, Mika come here for the Festival Planet Earth in 20-11 :roftl: I published your article on our country, and was very positive repercussion :thumb_yello: i do not say that the whole country read, but our circle of friends ok.

We are proud of him for exposing his opinion clearly and frankly :wink2:

Hi :biggrin2: i'm from Brazil, Mika come here for the Festival Planet Earth in 20-11 :roftl: I published your article on our country, and was very positive repercussion :thumb_yello: i do not say that the whole country read, but our circle of friends ok.

That's great news! :thumb_yello:

Wow. I don't even know where to start.

Firstly, let's get technical. I'm not speaking of "killing children", but we are discussing aborting an embryo here. This means that if it is left to develop it will (presumably) get to full term, but it is not a child yet. It does not equate to taking a newborn and drowning it in the river, for example, like some cultures have been known to do if it wasn't the right gender, etc...

You mention that "not even animals" do it. Well, let me tell you, some animals DO kill their young. A prime example is the male hamster, who will very often do so if left alone with the youngsters.

Anyway, whether you or I think that abortion is morally justified is not the point. The point is, that there will always be people in terrible ,desperate situations, and that they should have the right to decide what to do with the protection of the law and access to sanitary help.

It's not for you to decide that because you think that abortion is wrong, and that it's commendable that certain people feel it worthwhile to risk their own life in order to bring a child to this world, or to bring a super disabled child, etc... nobody else has the right to decide and do things within the realm of legality.

Oh, and when you talk of women risking their lives to have a child and dying: how fair is that in regards to the poor orfan child?

Re your last point (contraception), sadly this often fails, no matter how much care people put in it. Also, in situations like rapes, it is usually out of the question, so it's irrelevant.

Sorry didn't have time to reply yesterday.

My reply was to your comment "it's not a bad thing". :wink2: I didn't say that abortion shouldn't be legal or that people should be forced not to get an abortion. It is a difficult choice and it should be the choice you make when you are desperate and there is no other decision to make.

Shouldn't we all agree that certain things are bad? Just like murder and stealing other people's property?

Animals sometimes kill the little ones, but when they have already been born.

I also found your comment on disabled people upsetting. A "normal" child can become disabled later on in life. What are you going to do then?

I work in schools where disabled students can enrol just like the so-called normal ones. Italy is perhaps the only country where this choice has been made. At the end of the school year it's always the disabled student that I miss the most. I'm not saying that taking care of them is easy, but they can really put a smile on your face. They are special! :thumb_yello:

You can't judge the quality of other people's on your own terms. It's wrong, because we're all different. Moreover life is unpredictable. "Normal" people who have everything sometimes kill themselves. The things that you find important in life may be things I could do without.

I said I was sad cause well I thought Mika was more peace and love –ghandi- kind of man...

and well... I’ve talk alot about this with friends that are pro choice so I’ll just say what I always say.

But first I want to say that, before I used to dive a d*mn about this toppic, I always thought people can do whatever they want with their lives and I wouldn’t have an opinion on such a controvertial topic without being in the shoes of someone who would need an abortion. And I have personal experience of friends getting pregnant at a young age....

BUT it was.. I think in 2006, when I had to participate on a debat about abortion so I had to do research and well... I read a lot of thing that made me pro life.

I’m not gonna ramble here about what I read cause I know everyone has their opinion on the toppic and I’m no expert and I know I won’t convince anyone to change their mind.

But mainly the thing is that a choice is not given to the important person here: the baby...I know people say fetos are not babys but I DO think they are. And a doctor (I can’t remember his name SORRY) who at begining of his career practiced abortion, at a certain procidure he felt that the fetos was “runing away” from the ...I don’t know how to call it in english ... runing away from the machine..?

anyways the point is fetos are living creatures. And well if I’m against killing a cockroach, Heck I’m against abortion!

Plus back then in 2006 the cases of rapes that ended up in pregnancy were about 2% (I know there most be more, cause not everyone report it)

And the only “reson” that keeps alot of people from perform abortion is that it isn’t legal.

So if it his made legal alot of girls that are actually being inresponsable with their lives will be even more irresponsable cause then if you “screw up” you can always “fix it with abortion”. Which will give wings for people to take sex in an even lighter way ...and well I think that sex is a serious matter, due to all the diseases. So... given sex a lit less of weight on the minds of young girls will probably make STDs alot more frequent.

plus..people have their choice when they decide to skip the safe sex. (no considering the rape cases)

On the other hand if its a teen girl and dosen’t want to take care of the baby plus her life is just beging and blah blah well there’s always adoption. Which I don’t get way people see it more of a tabu than abortion.

Very interesting, thanks! :thumb_yello:

Sorry didn't have time to reply yesterday.

My reply was to your comment "it's not a bad thing". :wink2: I didn't say that abortion shouldn't be legal or that people should be forced not to get an abortion. It is a difficult choice and it should be the choice you make when you are desperate and there is no other decision to make.

Shouldn't we all agree that certain things are bad? Just like murder and stealing other people's property?

Animals sometimes kill the little ones, but when they have already been born.

I also found your comment on disabled people upsetting. A "normal" child can become disabled later on in life. What are you going to do then?

I work in schools where disabled students can enrol just like the so-called normal ones. Italy is perhaps the only country where this choice has been made. At the end of the school year it's always the disabled student that I miss the most. I'm not saying that taking care of them is easy, but they can really put a smile on your face. They are special! :thumb_yello:

You can't judge the quality of other people's on your own terms. It's wrong, because we're all different. Moreover life is unpredictable. "Normal" people who have everything sometimes kill themselves. The things that you find important in life may be things I could do without.

Very interesting, thanks! :thumb_yello:

At my faculty is the same. I've been working with a couple of disabled students (blidness, pharaplegia) and the first one who gratuated at our Master studeis this summer was a girl in the wheel chair who speaks pretty hard. I was like Woooow!:thumb_yello:

It's great that you published the article. Thanks for telling us!

At my faculty is the same. I've been working with a couple of disabled students (blidness, pharaplegia) and the first one who gratuated at our Master studeis this summer was a girl in the wheel chair who speaks pretty hard. I was like Woooow!:thumb_yello:

Is it the same in elementary and secondary schools?

Here it is common to have students with Down Syndrome in a traditional class. We still have special schools, but the parents can choose to send a disabled child to a traditional school. It depends on the level of disability, but the schools can't refuse to accept them.

Here it is common to have students with Down Syndrome in a traditional class. We still have special schools, but the parents can choose to send a disabled child to a traditional school. It depends on the level of disability, but the schools can't refuse to accept them.

In the US we have special classes for disabled students,at my middle school there was a guy with.. I think it was very severe autism, and he used to come in my chorus class, he couldn't talk but he was so sweet :wub2:

In the US we have special classes for disabled students,at my middle school there was a guy with.. I think it was very severe autism, and he used to come in my chorus class, he couldn't talk but he was so sweet :wub2:

There was one who used to tell me "I love you, you are the most beautiful girl in the world" whenever he met me in the corridors. :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

So yeah this is just my point of view, I don’t mean to turn this into a polemic discussion:giveup::giveup:

I am actually really happy to see new members get involved in this conversation, too. Even though we all have different views on this topic, I consider this discussion healthy. Talking about things doesn't hurt anyone, so you needn't apologise for anything.

I think Mika is peace and love. However, it does not mean that he has no opinion of his own. I am really pleased that sometimes he voices his opinion but never in an aggressive way and / or for PR purposes like most pop stars do.

the only “reson” that keeps alot of people from perform abortion is that it isn’t legal.

I can easily argue with the opposite example: in countries where abortion is illegal, women with unwanted pregnancies often risk their lives to have the child aborted illegally.

I know people say fetos are not babys but I DO think they are.

They are not babies but are living creatures for sure. Your example was absolutely correct - any living organism automatically moves away from noise, probably even an amoeba. What we are discussing here is, however, if the mother is prepared to provide this living creature all the circumstances that would allow it to have a life that is worth living, ie.satisfy the baby’s physical as well as emotional needs and provide them a life prospect that is more than just a vegetative state.

And here let me add that I don’t think previous comments pro-choice meant that life was not worth a living with disabilities. Those disabilities mentioned earlier cannot even be detected during pregnancy:aah: , not to mention autism that is often not considered as a disorder but merely a difference.

Anyway, let’s not compare blind people or people with some physical or mental disability to a fetus whose life expectancy, if born, would be extremely limited. If such baby is born, of course parents and society should do all they can to make their life as enjoyable as it can be. However, if at an early stage of pregnancy some serious chromosomal disease is detected, no woman should be forced to have this fundamental change to her life that would come with looking after such child 24 hours a day for the short time period this child would live. If the mother and people around her are not mentally prepared for it, she should have a choice not to give birth to that baby.

I am actually really happy to see new members get involved in this conversation, too. Even though we all have different views on this topic, I consider this discussion healthy. Talking about things doesn't hurt anyone, so you needn't apologise for anything.

I think Mika is peace and love. However, it does not mean that he has no opinion of his own. I am really pleased that sometimes he voices his opinion but never in an aggressive way and / or for PR purposes like most pop stars do.

I can easily argue with the opposite example: in countries where abortion is illegal, women with unwanted pregnancies often risk their lives to have the child aborted illegally.

They are not babies but are living creatures for sure. Your example was absolutely correct - any living organism automatically moves away from noise, probably even an amoeba. What we are discussing here is, however, if the mother is prepared to provide this living creature all the circumstances that would allow it to have a life that is worth living, ie.satisfy the baby’s physical as well as emotional needs and provide them a life prospect that is more than just a vegetative state.

And here let me add that I don’t think previous comments pro-choice meant that life was not worth a living with disabilities. Those disabilities mentioned earlier cannot even be detected during pregnancy:aah: , not to mention autism that is often not considered as a disorder but merely a difference.

Anyway, let’s not compare blind people or people with some physical or mental disability to a fetus whose life expectancy, if born, would be extremely limited. If such baby is born, of course parents and society should do all they can to make their life as enjoyable as it can be. However, if at an early stage of pregnancy some serious chromosomal disease is detected, no woman should be forced to have this fundamental change to her life that would come with looking after such child 24 hours a day for the short time period this child would live. If the mother and people around her are not mentally prepared for it, she should have a choice not to give birth to that baby.

Thank you very much Suzie, for saying exactly what I would have said if I had had the time to reply to this properly. I second your post 100%.

This is exactly what I was talking about. When I spoke of disabilities I meant severe problems like the ones you listed above, not a baby being born blind or anything of the sorts :wink2:.

Thank you so much Suzie for writing this. I quote you, because my English is not good enough to take part of this kind of discussions, and you said it very well. I agree with everything, but bolded some parts I wanted to say myself too.

First of all, I'm really happy Mika is not afraid of telling his opinions. As you said, he never says anything in an aggressive way.

And really, it's not small disabilities why people choose abortion. And it must be very difficult choice every time, and I might never do that decision myself, but I'm happy to live in a country where women have a possibility to make a choice in some situation.

I think it's very educational to read threads like this. I never knew how many different opinions there are in this world.

Why?

What's wrong with someone having the choice (key word being choice here, which doesn't mean that one will actually go ahead with an abortion, but merely that they will be able to decide) to not have a child in certain circumstances?

It's not a bad thing. It's a responsability thing. Sometimes making a tough decision early on, is best in the longer term.

I'm pro choice- I don't think anyone should be aborted till they're at least 18 years old and have signed in triplicate to confirm that they don't mind.

I used to accept that differences in opinion on abortion were down to differences in when people thought life started, but I've looked at way too many white framed pics of embryos and heard too many expectant parents blithering on about their unborn babies to belive that now.

If wanted embryos are babies, so are unborn ones- meaning that the people most involved in abortion don't get any choice at all.

I'm pro choice- I don't think anyone should be aborted till they're at least 18 years old and have signed in triplicate to confirm that they don't mind.

That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of sympathy with women facing unwanted pregnancy- many of them feeling that their own life isn't worth living, let alone their child's. But with help they can get over whatever choice they make- ideally while giving the child the chance to make their own choices.

I used to accept that differences in opinion on abortion were down to differences in when people thought life started, but I've looked at way too many white framed pics of embryos and heard too many expectant parents blithering on about their unborn babies to belive that now.

---

If Mika had published this column in the UK, I'd not be impressed. As a mad fan I'm interested in his pre show ritual and school career. But most people aren't particularly. His views on the church and abortion etc are well expressed, but so commonplace here that they're barely worth writing down. But he published them in Italy... But in a liberal music mag... :dunno: Are XL Repibblica's readers likely to find them interesting? (This is a genuine question for Italian fans) Or despite it being Italy, is he preaching to the choir?

I think it isn't, even though there are some exceptions too.

That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of sympathy with women facing unwanted pregnancy- many of them feeling that their own life isn't worth living, let alone their child's. But with help they can get over whatever choice they make- ideally while giving the child the chance to make their own choices.

---

If Mika had published this column in the UK, I'd not be impressed. As a mad fan I'm interested in his pre show ritual and school career. But most people aren't particularly. His views on the church and abortion etc are well expressed, but so commonplace here that they're barely worth writing down. But he published them in Italy... But in a liberal music mag... :dunno: Are XL Repibblica's readers likely to find them interesting? (This is a genuine question for Italian fans) Or despite it being Italy, is he preaching to the choir?

Editorial Group L'Espresso-La Repubblica are Left-Liberal oriented, and most of all the magazine is read by people interested in music, art and new trends.

Nothing conservative around there!

Mika is perfectly at ease and his readers too :wink2:

Editorial Group L'Espresso-La Repubblica are Left-Liberal oriented, and most of all the magazine is read by people interested in music, art and new trends.

Nothing conservative around there!

Mika is perfectly at ease and his readers too :wink2:

I thought that was probably so from what you said when I asked about the first one- but in that case I'm afraid they might find this column a tichy bit boring, and respond to his ringing declaration "I am pro choice, pro contraception, pro gay union, pro tolerance, and most of all pro faith if not religion" with "So what :dunno: so is everyone else."

I thought that was probably so from what you said when I asked about the first one- but in that case I'm afraid they might find this column a tichy bit boring, and respond to his ringing declaration "I am pro choice, pro contraception, pro gay union, pro tolerance, and most of all pro faith if not religion" with "So what :dunno: so is everyone else."

I wouldn't say everyone one is, there are some out there who probably completely disagree with what he says, to some, if not all the statements he makes there.

And I think it's interesting to see what he thinks about different topics, like this one, since he's not been very forthcoming about a lot of stuff.

Yes disabled children can also go to regular schools here in the UK.

Anyway, let’s not compare blind people or people with some physical or mental disability to a fetus whose life expectancy, if born, would be extremely limited. If such baby is born, of course parents and society should do all they can to make their life as enjoyable as it can be. However, if at an early stage of pregnancy some serious chromosomal disease is detected, no woman should be forced to have this fundamental change to her life that would come with looking after such child 24 hours a day for the short time period this child would live.

You can't predict so well. Mistakes do happen. Huge ones sometimes.

Thank you very much Suzie, for saying exactly what I would have said if I had had the time to reply to this properly. I second your post 100%.

This is exactly what I was talking about. When I spoke of disabilities I meant severe problems like the ones you listed above, not a baby being born blind or anything of the sorts :wink2:.

And really, it's not small disabilities why people choose abortion. And it must be very difficult choice every time, and I might never do that decision myself, but I'm happy to live in a country where women have a possibility to make a choice in some situation.

Reality is different, unfortunately. Some women get abortions for Down Syndrome.

Anyway, propaganda exists to support both views. It's not easy to have proper information on the topic.

Reality is different, unfortunately. Some women get abortions for Down Syndrome.

Anyway, propaganda exists to support both views. It's not easy to have proper information on the topic.

i know it sounds cruel,but you need to know that you are going to have a child who will never be self-sufficient,and you will need someone to take care of him/her when you´ll die... it´s hard,i know,and i won´t do it,but i understand people who does it. as someone said in a post few pages ago,i also did an opinion poll at the institute and i had to defend the "pro-choice" side... (i didn´t decide this,the teacher told us what to do) and i talked to lots of people,and i met a family with a boy with down syndrome and they were all shattered because they were old,and had no one to take care of their son.... i was very impressive at that moment...

Are you saying then, that abortion should not be an option if one is going to have a child with Down's?

i know it sounds cruel,but you need to know that you are going to have a child who will never be self-sufficient,and you will need someone to take care of him/her when you´ll die... it´s hard,i know,and i won´t do it,but i understand people who does it. as someone said in a post few pages ago,i also did an opinion poll at the institute and i had to defend the "pro-choice" side... (i didn´t decide this,the teacher told us what to do) and i talked to lots of people,and i met a family with a boy with down syndrome and they were all shattered because they were old,and had no one to take care of their son.... i was very impressive at that moment...

I agree.

I'm not saying for a second that many kids with Down's or other disabilities don't have a good life, but what I am saying, and will carry on saying until my last breath, is that nobody but the parents-to-be of that child are in the position to decide whether they want to carry on with the pregnancy that will bring culminate in bringing the child into this world.

Circumstances vary massively, and children with disabilities require certain care throughout their life, and if they survive their parents, after that. there is a lot to take into account, which nobody but the people in that situation are entitled to decide.

Laura, you say that there are tons of people waiting to adopt,etc... Yes, that is the case, but sadly, most people want to adopt perfect kids (preferably babies) and there are plenty of children from worse backgrounds or disabilities who are never adopted. It's really not as simple as you paint it.

Oh, and to finish, I agree with what Tiibet said earlier: abortion in any case is never an easy choice. Most women who go through it will tell you that it was a terribly difficult decision to make, whichever way they decided, and that the weight of that decision will live with them forever.

And, again, I want to stress that my point is not to say if abortion is right or wrong, but just that it should be a right.