• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings but I really can't take prayers seriously.

But to have a moment to collect ones thoughts and focus before for example a big performance is absolutely logical to me!:wink2:

yes, it is logical because it helps you collect your thoughts and concentrate. At the same time, I think it also has the psychological effect on you that you feel you have already done something extra that will help you do your best. All professional sportsmen and even performers do the same - a kind of special 'prayer' or ritual - to help them focus before an important sports or musical performance..etc.

Edited by suzie

oh i think i was there this summer :naughty:

is it facing this?

P1010185.jpg

and is this the building to the left of it?

P1010184.jpg

unfortunately, i didn't take a pic of the church... many tourists were taking group pictures in front of it. it is a beautiful church :wub2:

You got that right... imagine getting married there on the last Saturday of August... loads of tourists:biggrin2: but the church make sure no one gets in during the ceremony. My Husband's uncle was the officiant, he married everyone in the family:wink2: a living proof of waht you were talking earlier (he was the oldest in the family)

Sorry I haven't read all of the discussion but I did read that Mika picking the bits he agrees with or likes about 'his' church is something that's not so easy to understand. I totally see where's he's coming from. He just doesn't exclude the religious part from his universal source of inspiration. And I guess this is a brilliant thing and also a huge part of the reason why he is so good at what he does. Not the religion in particular. More the non-exclusive approach he has. He just makes use of literally everything he comes across. I think I once have read in one of his interviews that he likes services for the theatrical aspect. And that totally makes sense to me even though I haven't been a church goer for about 15 years now. Especially the catholic church is good about theatre and altar servers choreography and such things. :teehee: In another interview (I think in Australia back in 2007) he said that influences are everywhere.

Oh, and I don't really think he talks about the concept of the catholic church as in dogmata when it comes to the bits he likes about it. I guess there it's more of the perception he had of a church service when he was a child. Memories are sticky and such a service can be pretty impressive, especially on high Christian holidays.

When it comes to supporting the Catholic Church and their antiquated view in general, I agree with what Sariflor said. Supporting the institution in general, even though they maintain so many ideas that are just inhuman in this day and age, that's not really the way to go.

The thing that has always stayed with me, from my years of church going, was the smell of the incense. I always loved that powerful smell it had. And I agree, the whole ceremonial aspect of it, always had me transfixed as a kid, it seemed larger than life to me. And the colour co-ordination for each of the different ceremonies, was interesting too.

oh this is so cool!

I looked on Bristol Cathedrals web site, and its just a diagram, where you click on the segment and it gives you a picture.

Not as cool as Bath Abbey:naughty:

I just read it and it's so deep! It's so good to read about Mika's inner thoughts again...and I so agree with everything he writes at the end as a conclusion...tolerance is what we all should live by! I'm so glad he shared so much in that article! This will make my rainy Sunday a happy one! :)

Just read "pro choice" means "pro abortion" :shocked:

that just makes me really sad:tears:

Why?

What's wrong with someone having the choice (key word being choice here, which doesn't mean that one will actually go ahead with an abortion, but merely that they will be able to decide) to not have a child in certain circumstances?

Having the chance to abort if one choses to, means that a 12 year old girl who is raped by her uncle will not be forced to have a baby which will ruin her life (and potentially,the life of that baby) on top of everything else.

It means that a woman who is raped by a psychotic, violent monster will not have to have his baby. There is more and more conclusive research showing that personality and mental illness are very genetically determined, which means that if your baby's father has certain traits, your baby will have many chances of having them too.

It means that if you know that you will have a severely handicapped child, whose quality of life would be appalling, you can spare them and yourself the pain.

It's not a bad thing. It's a responsability thing. Sometimes making a tough decision early on, is best in the longer term.

Why?

What's wrong with someone having the choice (key word being choice here, which doesn't mean that one will actually go ahead with an abortion, but merely that they will be able to decide) to not have a child in certain circumstances?

Having the chance to abort if one choses to, means that a 12 year old girl who is raped by her uncle will not be forced to have a baby which will ruin her life (and potentially,the life of that baby) on top of everything else.

It means that a woman who is raped by a psychotic, violent monster will not have to have his baby. There is more and more conclusive research showing that personality and mental illness are very genetically determined, which means that if your baby's father has certain traits, your baby will have many chances of having them too.

It means that if you know that you will have a severely handicapped child, whose quality of life would be appalling, you can spare them and yourself the pain.

It's not a bad thing. It's a responsability thing. Sometimes making a tough decision early on, is best in the longer term.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Why?

I do too!

Information is the key here, as well in all circumstances where the church and its followers are making their voices heard!

Hmmmm, reading all this I am not very sure it was such a (searching for the right word).....wise thing to write this text before doing his first gigs ever in South Amerika in few weeks time... Perhaps it would have been better if he would have waited with this specific text. I hope he doesn't get problems at interviews with those things over there. :dunno: I wouldn't be extremely happy with it, if I were his manager :doh:

Hmmmm, reading all this I am not very sure it was such a (searching for the right word).....wise thing to write this text before doing his first gigs ever in South Amerika in few weeks time... Perhaps it would have been better if he would have waited with this specific text. I hope he doesn't get problems at interviews with those things over there. :dunno: I wouldn't be extremely happy with it, if I were his manager :doh:

I applaud Mika for having the courage to say what he thinks, and there would never be a "right time" to do that. I'll admit that when I first found out about Mika's column I expected it to be all about his music, his gigs, maybe bits about his past.

But now; even though I have always respected and admired Mika, through his work and the way he's overcome so much, I have a whole new respect for him now!

He's expressed his views in a mature and honest way, and I think that for every person who disagrees, or takes offence at what he's said, there will be twenty people who will agree with him for voicing his beliefs in such a well rounded, well thought out, way..

Our boy has come of age! I'm really proud of him, and I don't think the latest article will have a detrimental effect on his career at all.

Unless this column is picked up by the wires, the S. American press probably won't even know about it. :dunno:

Me too! And it's not just a responsibility that counts in this, but before there were laws to regulate abortion, it often happened in secret, with many women dying because of serious bleeding or terrible infections! Now a woman can go to a hospital! Much safer!

Maybe you know the stories about abortions with knittingneedles, or chemicals or other horror stories?

I applaud Mika for having the courage to say what he thinks, and there would never be a "right time" to do that. I'll admit that when I first found out about Mika's column I expected it to be all about his music, his gigs, maybe bits about his past.

But now; even though I have always respected and admired Mika, through his work and the way he's overcome so much, I have a whole new respect for him now!

He's expressed his views in a mature and honest way, and I think that for every person who disagrees, or takes offence at what he's said, there will be twenty people who will agree with him for voicing his beliefs in such a well rounded, well thought out, way..

Our boy has come of age! I'm really proud of him, and I don't think the latest article will have a detrimental effect on his career at all.

Yo, that's what we all think. :thumb_yello: But we're his fans. Hope the press over there thinks the same way.

Unless this column is picked up by the wires, the S. American press probably won't even know about it. :dunno:

Hope so! :wink2:

Me too! And it's not just a responsibility that counts in this, but before there were laws to regulate abortion, it often happened in secret, with many women dying because of serious bleeding or terrible infections! Now a woman can go to a hospital! Much safer!

Maybe you know the stories about abortions with knittingneedles, or chemicals or other horror stories?

Yes, that is exactly why it's important. All that these religious fanatics cause, is for people to be in danger. Certain things will always happen; They just need to be properly regulated and legislated, for everyone's safety.

This is like the Catholic Church opposing to condoms being used to prevent AIDS, and them coming out with these irresponsible arguments where they say that it doesn't actually prevent the spread of the disease, etc... :sneaky2:.

Not only are they wrong, but they are causing SO much horror by trying to impose their views on other people, instead of focusing on the issue at hand, which is to prevent the disease. They have gone so far as to say that the HIV virus can pass through "little holes" in condoms, which is absolutely rubbish, but if they are telling certain uneducated people, their message sticks, and they believe it. The Church has a certain position of authority in many people's minds (especially in subdeveloped areas of the world) and this makes their impact a lot stronger than in other richer, more cultured areas.

Of course this means that they should be even more careful about what they say, but instead, they use this fact to spread their "propaganda" and ultimately, as usual, only fulfil their own interests, which throughout the centuries have been of power, richness and domination. It's very sad.

A film that gives a good view on that is Vera Drake, btw.

Women should have the choice, and should be able to have an abortion in good medical circumstances. The decision to have an abortion is hard enough already.

A film that gives a good view on that is Vera Drake, btw.

Women should have the choice, and should be able to have an abortion in good medical circumstances. The decision to have an abortion is hard enough already.

Yes! I found that movie very touching. And totally true what you said in your last sentence :thumb_yello:.

MFC is showing how the world is thinking differently about serious matters! Here we are talking about women's rights and abortion, in an other thread homosexuality is the subject! And opinions differ so much!

I think it's fascinating to read all those opions but also a bit worrying. We all live on the same planet, have to live together some how, but when it comes to major existential we are worlds apart!

MFC is showing how the world is thinking differently about serious matters! Here we are talking about women's rights and abortion, in an other thread homosexuality is the subject! And opinions differ so much!

I think it's fascinating to read all those opions but also a bit worrying. We all live on the same planet, have to live together some how, but when it comes to major existential we are worlds apart!

Yep, so true. I'm all for rights to chose and everyone's freedom to decide, without being curtailed or punished for their beliefs, but sadly, there is a lot of intolerance going on, as you say.

Personally, I would just shoot all those who are intolerant.

:lmfao: Ok, just kidding :roftl:- Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke :blush-anim-cl:

Yep, so true. I'm all for rights to chose and everyone's freedom to decide, without being curtailed or punished for their beliefs, but sadly, there is a lot of intolerance going on, as you say.

Personally, I would just shoot all those who are intolerant.

:lmfao: Ok, just kidding :roftl:- Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke :blush-anim-cl:

Or just let us brainwash them! LOL! :sneaky2:

No, that's a joke as well! But I totally agree with you about freedom to decide and the freedom to make your own decisions in your life!

Why?

Are you serious? Are we talking about a mother who kills her own baby before childbirth? Not even animals do that.

You can always give birth to your child and leave it at the hospital. Lots of families would be happy to welcome a baby who has just been born, even disabled, blind or with Down syndrome.

Anyway if the mother is in danger, the Church allows abortion. But in my country quite a few women decided to risk their life to give birth to a baby and died.

I don't think propaganda is that powerful when motherhood is concerned. And if you think contraception can solve any problem, a woman should just avoid getting pregnant instead of killing her children with no regrets.

Are you serious? Are we talking about a mother who kills her own baby before childbirth? Not even animals do that.

You can always give birth to your child and leave it at the hospital. Lots of families would be happy to welcome a baby who has just been born, even disabled, blind or with Down syndrome.

Anyway if the mother is in danger, the Church allows abortion. But in my country quite a few women decided to risk their life to give birth to a baby and died.

I don't think propaganda is that powerful when motherhood is concerned. And if you think contraception can solve any problem, a woman should just avoid getting pregnant instead of killing her children with no regrets.

I think that this is something no one else but the person who is in the situation of an impossible pregnancy can decide. No one else can tell you how to feel or how to think.

And I guess you know too, or should know, that abortion is a thing that has been there since women get pregnant. Illegal and in several countries now legal.

And I DO think that propaganda is that powerful. Just look look at various disputes in the world! Or think back to WWII, that was a thing of just propaganda. Never underestimate the power of the word!