Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

I think it is just the different way people perceive music. When 'evaluating' songs it is usually the chords and the melody that gets me first, while the performance and lyrics are secondary as they can be changed.

They can be changed in theory but I doubt this is going to happen. Historically he has changed the arrangements and added additional lyrics, but this song seems pretty complete to me and I would be very surprised if it turns up on the album with totally different lyrics. And they need to be totally different IMO in order to turn this from a sappy cheesy love song into something else.

When I first started listening to Mika's music I barely noticed the lyrics and perceived Mika's voice as another instrument. But this melody is very old fashioned and the theme is love so unless the lyrics contradict this then you've still got a cheesy love song. I think even if this song was in French I wouldn't be crazy about it because it's the kind of thing I'd expect Celine Dion to have sung 20 years ago.

I simply don't buy Mika in this role of movie score type duet with a woman. I have no idea what really goes on in Mika's personal life but this is certainly not the image he projects as an artist. Based on songs like Touches You, I See You, Overrated, Happy Ending and Rain I imagine him a bit tortured, a bit cheeky, a bit insecure, a bit naughty, a bit jealous, a bit cold, etc. I don't imagine him staring into the eyes of his girlfriend while they talk about how they adore each other in spite of their bumps in the road (or whatever this song is trying to say :aah:) It just doesn't ring true for me.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine:And let me say something else about BIOTW and Erase vs I See You and Overrated. The first two sound like generic love songs that could have been written by anyone and for any artist to sing. The latter two to me sound very personal and poignant and very Mika. I think ultimately that's why I prefer them.

I'm on the same wavelength!

there has NEVER been a moment where I've thought "oh Mika stop singing, this is awful" :lmfao:
We have never heard him sing Gave It All Away live, have we? :dunno::naughty:
I still find they sound very flat around 2:30 although I wouldn't be surprised if that is an artifact of the video and it sounds fine in reality. :
yes, accidentally it is always Mika and never Ida.. :teehee:
I know some don't like Ida's voice but I think at least her voice is appropriate for this song.
Yes, exactly. There is nothing wrong with Ida’s voice, except that it does not fit this song and she cannot seem to be able to switch between a classical way of singing to pop singing. Mika can do that and does it in Over My Shoulder and Lady Jane. That totally fits the style of those two songs though because they have roots in classical music. Ida singing in this song, however, is like Nick Cave singing opera.
It's not that I'm not paying attention but with these lyrics it's a thumbs down for me even with a better arrangement.
Yes, a collection of clichés in the lyrics, I think it is safe to conclude :sad:
Let me say something else about BIOTW and Erase vs I See You and Overrated. The first two sound like generic love songs that could have been written by anyone and for any artist to sing. The latter two to me sound very personal and poignant and very Mika. I think ultimately that's why I prefer them.
Whilst I agree with what you say about the difference in these two groups of songs, I base my opinion on the structure of the songs themselves. I never paid much attention to Erase because to me the music sounds like any cheesy ballad from Bon Jovi or even Aerosmith but they get away with that because they play the guitar in them. (BJ fans don't do mad at me, please ).

However, I think that our ultimate understanding and analysis of BITOW and Erase are the same: ’not very Mika’ –which some fans here might regard as blasphemy. The difference is that BIOTW is a duet so it is double cheesy – at the moment as I can totally hear how it could be toned down and make it sound like it is two disillusioned people singing it in a smoky bar - with different lyrics. :teehee: Erase, on the other hand, will always sound like a 80s pop balad. :dunno:

PS: I think I See You is a great song, it was simply overproduced (from the second chorus) for no real reason, so now it sounds like the sountrack for Titanic 2, especially the instrumental part.

PS2: will reply on more, I can't keep up with this thread. :roftl:

Edited by suzie

For what it's worth, tortured people experience cheesey sappy lovey dovey moments too. In my experience, it's the people with the painful baggage who enjoy the sweetness of life the most because it's such a strong contrast to what they usually experience.

I don't disagree with that but it still doesn't ring true for me. Even if it IS true (and I would not be surprised if Mika comes forward with an autobiographical story about this song) it still doesn't ring true for me. It sounds like it was written for someone else. Maybe there's no other way to describe it except to say that I don't think it's "Mikaish" even though I have a very broad definition of "Mikaish" :dunno:

I'm also a big fan of Paolo Nutini and Adele and their relationships are chronicled in their songs from the torture to the lovey dovey moments, but this song of Mika's seems plucked out of thin air. Maybe in a 20 year retrospective of Mika's work this will blend in but in the context of what I've heard from him so far it just doesn't fit.

I simply don't buy Mika in this role of movie score type duet with a woman. I have no idea what really goes on in Mika's personal life but this is certainly not the image he projects as an artist. Based on songs like Touches You, I See You, Overrated, Happy Ending and Rain I imagine him a bit tortured, a bit cheeky, a bit insecure, a bit naughty, a bit jealous, a bit cold, etc.I don't imagine him staring into the eyes of his girlfriend while they talk about how they adore each other in spite of their bumps in the road (or whatever this song is trying to say :aah:) It just doesn't ring true for me.

Now this is totally agreed. :roftl:

I keep wondering what this duet thing is: whether he was asked to write a song this and is trying to figure out if and how the song would work or he is expressing his own feelings in this song. If I had never heard GIAA and Lonely Alcoholic, I would probably think that Mika would never use such clichés in his lyrics. That’s the reason why I never thought he wrote GIAA for himself, for example, but only to give it to a boy band whose audience would be pleased about it.:pinkbow: However, he seems to miss the right balance occasionally. As far as he realises it in time, there is no harm done. So far these songs have escaped being known to a wider audience and maybe this one will, too, at least in this format :dunno:

this melody is very old fashioned and the theme is love so unless the lyrics contradict this then you've still got a cheesy love song. I think even if this song was in French I wouldn't be crazy about it because it's the kind of thing I'd expect Celine Dion to have sung 20 years ago.

I’d even date it further back. However, a different arrangement could change it completely. When you think of the song Hallelujah, for example, (in terms of the song itself, not the brilliant lyrics) there is a huge difference between Alexandra Burke’s version that is all soppy (and I doubt she has a clue what she is singing about) and Rufus Wainwright’s version – or the original by Leonard Cohen. In fact, there is so much difference that it is basically not the same song even though the melody is the same. So if Mika goes back to a more stripped down version and gets rid of his weather metaphors, it can get much different.

Edited by suzie

They can be changed in theory but I doubt this is going to happen. Historically he has changed the arrangements and added additional lyrics, but this song seems pretty complete to me and I would be very surprised if it turns up on the album with totally different lyrics. And they need to be totally different IMO in order to turn this from a sappy cheesy love song into something else.

When I first started listening to Mika's music I barely noticed the lyrics and perceived Mika's voice as another instrument. But this melody is very old fashioned and the theme is love so unless the lyrics contradict this then you've still got a cheesy love song. I think even if this song was in French I wouldn't be crazy about it because it's the kind of thing I'd expect Celine Dion to have sung 20 years ago.

I simply don't buy Mika in this role of movie score type duet with a woman. I have no idea what really goes on in Mika's personal life but this is certainly not the image he projects as an artist. Based on songs like Touches You, I See You, Overrated, Happy Ending and Rain I imagine him a bit tortured, a bit cheeky, a bit insecure, a bit naughty, a bit jealous, a bit cold, etc. I don't imagine him staring into the eyes of his girlfriend while they talk about how they adore each other in spite of their bumps in the road (or whatever this song is trying to say :aah:) It just doesn't ring true for me.

20 years ago, Celine Dion was still singing about bird and playing the virgin girl:wink2: that was not in love with his manager:mf_rosetinted:

I'm not assuming it's biographical in the sense that he has experienced it recently/ever, though I certainly hope he has because it's a good thing to experience.

Artists tend to play with putting themselves in other people's shoes in order to tell a story. Even the tortured ones play with sweetness and light from time to time.

What I love about Mika is that he writes about a wide variety of human experiences from both the first person and narrative perspectives. So, for me, this song is one more of those human experience songs and it's all the sweeter because it isn't his usual fare. It's the contrast with his greater body of work that makes it haunt me.

I still have mixed feelings about it for a huge number of reasons, but I'm glad he put it out there for us to hear it.

I don't know if this point came through as well as the others in my last post, so I want to say that I appreciate that he doesn't take a whole album to chronicle a single group of life experiences, like a romantic relationship. I love that there are a variety of experiences and moods on his albums.

That's close to my meaning, but not accurate.

Let me try this:

When he writes a coming of age album, it isn't just about himself coming to age. It's about what he sees in other people while he's going through his own stuff. He isn't mining his own navel for material (navel-gazing.) He shows an interest in/fascination with other people. He captures that perspective he had while he was in that place.

So, when he writes something like BIOTW, it feels more authentically personal to me because it's one more observation in a collection of both internal and external observations of human experience.

That's how my brain is parsing all of this. But I have a weird brain, so it's only worth what it's worth and no more than that.

Thanks for putting in words how I view this song:thumb_yello:

My brain must be as weird as yours:roftl:

I like that Mika is not afraid to make 180 degrees turn to express genuine loving feelings... Love can be such a beautiful thing:teehee:

But I was talking about the performance and the arrangements :tears:

LOL! So was I! I don't think it's a better arrangement OR performance.

I just don't. I cringe at some points, it sounds so bad :dunno:

We have never heard him sing Gave It All Away live, have we? :dunno::naughty:

Not in person, just on that TV show with Boyzone, I think.

Yes, a collection of clichés in the lyrics, I think it is safe to conclude :sad:

That reminds of what else I meant to say earlier -- in this latest video of

the song, I think it's quite clear what the first two words of the second

verse are: Bitter Winter.

"Bitter winter, victims of the storm..."

So *that's* where Twitter Bitter came from! :aah:

Edited by dcdeb

That reminds of what else I meant to say earlier -- in this latest video of

the song, I think it's quite clear what the first two words of the second

verse are: Bitter Winter.

"Bitter winter, victims of the storm..."

So *that's* where Twitter Bitter came from! :aah:

Now it makes sense :aah: :aah:

I don't know if this point came through as well as the others in my last post, so I want to say that I appreciate that he doesn't take a whole album to chronicle a single group of life experiences, like a romantic relationship. I love that there are a variety of experiences and moods on his albums.

That's close to my meaning, but not accurate.

Let me try this:

When he writes a coming of age album, it isn't just about himself coming to age. It's about what he sees in other people while he's going through his own stuff. He isn't mining his own navel for material (navel-gazing.) He shows an interest in/fascination with other people. He captures that perspective he had while he was in that place.

I love the variety in the albums too but I just get the sense when he is writing in the first person that he is writing about his own experiences and not what he observes in other people. There's a big difference between Georgia, Billy Brown, Carolina, the big girls at a club, the people he is warning off in Lollipop, etc. and the person who says "why don't you like me without making me try?" or "Who wants to have me just to love me?" or "paint me in a colour that you swear you've never seen before" or "you could be cruel to me".

Now it's true that I have no idea what's really going in Mika's head or his life and maybe One Foot Boy and Toy Boy are just as much stories about other people even though they're told in the first person. And maybe Mika sat down last month and wrote this sappy song as a dedication to his girlfriend.

Maybe for other fans this matches their perceptions of Mika completely but, for me it just seems inauthentic. Elle Me Dit on the other hand I am totally buying into :lmfao:

:teehee:

I just listened to it again, but from the Liège, Belgium concert.

i think i figured out what bugs me :naughty:

Ida's voice sounds very mature.

So to me, it's like he is singing a love song with a lady old enough to be his mom.

i do like the song though :blush-anim-cl:

hahhahaa

yes.

oh..to me Ida just sings notes, no depth, no feelings...like she doesn't feel what she sings...I've always felt like that listening to her singing...

and the version from Corsica sounds very heavy to me..like 10 tons..but it's not because it's meaningful...it's because Ida sings it like it's very heavy....

I love the variety in the albums too but I just get the sense when he is writing in the first person that he is writing about his own experiences and not what he observes in other people. There's a big difference between Georgia, Billy Brown, Carolina, the big girls at a club, the people he is warning off in Lollipop, etc. and the person who says "why don't you like me without making me try?" or "Who wants to have me just to love me?" or "paint me in a colour that you swear you've never seen before" or "you could be cruel to me".

Now it's true that I have no idea what's really going in Mika's head or his life and maybe One Foot Boy and Toy Boy are just as much stories about other people even though they're told in the first person. And maybe Mika sat down last month and wrote this sappy song as a dedication to his girlfriend.

Maybe for other fans this matches their perceptions of Mika completely but, for me it just seems inauthentic. Elle Me Dit on the other hand I am totally buying into :lmfao:

I think this song as a story, because it's so theatrical, like a musical piece. I don't see it as Mika singing to someone. That's why I like it they sing it wearing dresses.

hahhahaa

yes.

oh..to me Ida just sings notes, no depth, no feelings...like she doesn't feel what she sings...I've always felt like that listening to her singing...

and the version from Corsica sounds very heavy to me..like 10 tons..but it's not because it's meaningful...it's because Ida sings it like it's very heavy....

ps. 10 tons was only about Ida. Mika sings it with feelings and with meaning

I think this song as a story, because it's so theatrical, like a musical piece. I don't see it as Mika singing to someone. That's why I like it they sing it wearing dresses.

Yes, Mika performs it in a really theatrical way. I'd even think it is rather uncharacteristic of him to perform a song this way but I See You received similar treatment on the last tour, so I am not sure what to make of the performance. :dunno:

I mean, him basically conducting everyone around during the song means that he is making a special effort this song is sung, played and acted out in a particular way, as if it was from a musical, like you say.

Yes, Mika performs it in a really theatrical way. I'd even think it is rather uncharacteristic of him to perform a song this way but I See You received similar treatment on the last tour, so I am not sure what to make of the performance. :dunno:

I mean, him basically conducting everyone around during the song means that he is making a special effort this song is sung, played and acted out in a particular way, as if it was from a musical, like you say.

Actually, I didn't think he performed I See You that way but now when you said it, yes it's true. But the original songs was something really personal. Maybe he tried to make it less personal that way? With BIOTW I have a feeling he wants it to be very theatrical, on purpose. It feels over-romantic, like it was from a musical.

Actually, I didn't think he performed I See You that way but now when you said it, yes it's true. But the original songs was something really personal. Maybe he tried to make it less personal that way? With BIOTW I have a feeling he wants it to be very theatrical, on purpose. It feels over-romantic, like it was from a musical.

Yes I am getting that too but that's why I feel that, unlike the other songs I've mentioned, this song was written for someone else. Even if that someone else is actually just Mika in character rather than a different singer. We could get into a discussion about whether Mika is ever really himself on stage but I still think his songs are essentially personal in nature even if they are not autobiographical.

I do like musicals but only in their context. If you try to turn it into pop it is just too cheesy (for me). I just saw Hugh Jackman's one man show and if it was a pop concert it would have been embarrasingly bad but he is a brilliant musical actor and sang some brilliant showtunes. It's a very fine line between beauty and cheese as I said before and this doesn't work for me as a song on a pop album.

I'm starting to think that this is a song written to order - like an exercise for a music class? I'm beginning to wonder if it is something from his RCM days? :dunno:

I'm starting to think that this is a song written to order - like an exercise for a music class? I'm beginning to wonder if it is something from his RCM days? :dunno:

:dunno: he wasn't studying songwriting though.

I think Christine worded it well how some of us might feel about the performance of the song: he sings it as if he was actually 'in character' on stage, rather than him singing his own song.

Perhaps he will take a role as prince charming in a new Disney movie...:pinkbow: (:mf_rosetinted:)

Don't like Ida's voice AT ALL in this song - she has a very clean, pure but cold, emotionless voice and honestly, if you're going to sing a duet (love song) to someone, you've got to at least TRY and sound like you mean it when you sing to the other person and look into their eyes etc lol!! I didn't feel that either Mika or Ida meant the lyrics when they sang it - I know they may not actually be 'in lurve' but they have to create the illusion when singing a love song together!

The song has potential, but I hope he finds another singer who 'gels' with him better vocally (etc!) - the restrained operatic voice is not what's needed here, it needs a more raw emotional style and sound.

I hope he also changes the title of the song because it's really not very inspiring as it stands....

Will be interesting to see how this song pans out in the end...

If he´s looking for a singer instead of Ida..

I´M STILL HERE :mf_rosetinted:

I'm just having a sudden renewed interest in this song after watching Tiibet's vid from Paleo Festival :wub2:

I really think it gets better and better everytime we hear it.. of course the lyrics are still the same but now the whole thing does it for me (how come I can never be disappointed very long with a Mika song??)

I love this song more and more.:wub2:

So romantic!

I agree with you, espacially with Tiibet's video from Paléo (hope you don't mind I post your video , I just love your video) :

I think it's a wonderful duo with many emotions :wub2: It makes me love the song more

Edited by Solène

i love the song and lyrics but what i can't understand is how can't the artist listen to both voices and see that they do not compliment each other. I just don't get it. Alot of artist do this and it annoys the freak out of me. I can hear, and I know they can hear so WHY?!...WHy oh y.?:shocked:

sorry for my improper english.