REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS - Das Festival, Aug. 6 Aug. 2011, Schaffhausen, Switzerland

guylainem123

Oh gawd, I think I understand the French lyrics better than these :lmfao:

This was like when he first sang Good Gone Girl and the only thing we caught was "ooh ooh ooh ooh" :naughty:

I was just about to give up on this but now I've heard "whatcha smoking, what's that stench?" so I'm going to give it another go. :teehee:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gawd, I think I understand the French lyrics better than these :lmfao:

This was like when he first sang Good Gone Girl and the only thing we caught was "ooh ooh ooh ooh" :naughty:

I was just about to give up on this but now I've heard "whatcha smoking, what's that stench?" so I'm going to give it another go. :teehee:

:lmfao: Thank you Christine, you can do it! Lol! Speaking Japanese part was the only thing I could remember from last night before watching the vid (and it's not much helping :aah:).

:lmfao: Thank you Christine, you can do it! Lol! Speaking Japanese part was the only thing I could remember from last night before watching the vid (and it's not much helping :aah:).

Oh the Japanese verse is quite clear actually. This sounds even more like it's about his own mother than what I was getting from the French version. :naughty:

I didn't see your posts about "She tells me/Elle me dit" and posted what I could understand of the new version sung in Switzerland in the gig thread... Need your help guys :biggrin2:

his is so far what I caught after 2 hearings of Elle me dit/She tells me...

Can't you write a happy song

Get your ass to number 1

You could try a little harder

She tells me you could be a millionaire

...................... my hair (?)

like your father but you

She tells me give life a chance

Don't you want to dance

are you stuck up? Are you gay?

She tells me it's my life

she does not care...

you''re not making friends

What's that stench?

That's the only thing she said

That would make me smile at her

Don't lock yourself in your room

Open up so I can reach you

See the price I have to pay

I would give my life away

I don't want to have to hate you

I rely on the English native speakers to get all the lyrics

Thanks Macboll, I see you posted in the Elle Me Dit thread so let's continue that conversation there.

:thumb_yello: Christine! I'm looking forward to watching vids and seeing the pictures of this last show :wub2:

I'm back home, too and have just been reading through all of the lovely reports and I agree with you. It was a great day/concert and a perfect end to the summer tour!

My trip started yesterday at 5:45 AM…Schaffhausen is not THAT close to Paris after all. On the train I was half sleeping / half listening to the Paleo gig…I arrived at noon in Schaffhausen and contrary to all weather forecasts I had read the weather was absolutely lovely, the sun was shining and the little town of Schaffhausen proved to be very beautiful.

I walked directly to the entrance of the festival but since there were only about 10 people already waiting I decided to walk around for a while. It was great that you could just walk past the stage (which the set already set up for sound check) freely…

At 1:40 PM I met up with Miri and her brother Ralf (I’m sure he will become a REAL Mika fan by the time he’s doing more and more gigs). Put my stuff in their car and we then went back to the entrance were we met the Munich crew (mellody, statue, graciosa and tiibet) and many others.

The whole atmosphere at the gig day was very relaxed, security handed us out drinks several times (which was great since it was extremely hot).

THE SOUNDCHECK

Then came (one of) my highlight(s) of the day: We could all watch the band (+ later Mika joining them) do the sound check which was an absolutely amazing experience! They had marked a with caution tape - so we were not directly next to the stage, but a few meters back. It was all very well organized. Love them for that! There were not too many people watching…Maybe 60/70? I’m not good with estimating.

Still it was just great to actually see the band rehearse. At first we weren’t sure whether the guy on the guitar was just doing some tests on the guitar or if he was gonna be playing the gig…But when he was on all the time it became clear that Martin wouldn’t be playing this gig. Anybody remembers his name?

We weren’t allowed to take pix/vids during the sound check. A security guy thought this would also apply to Yasmine. *funny moment*

Suddenly, while Nina was talking to her husband on the phone at one moment she almost choked on her water – meaning: Mika has entered the stage! :naughty: One of my favourite moments of yesterday! :thumb_yello:

He was very relaxed with jeans and interacted a lot with us even during the sound check.

In the beginning he played SITM on the piano *wub* Hope we’ll see him playing the piano on the next tour!

I loved seeing him “master” the band. And we were actually very lucky that martin wasn’t there so they rehearsed for almost 50 minutes. Mika was apologizing jokingly that he’s sorry that we have to see the whole show twice :teehee: And at some points it really felt like a real gig!

About “Elle me dit”: He stared singing the song in English (but since he hadn’t printed out the lyrics yet he forgot them all ^^) and after the first chorus continued in French. When the song was over Mika did a little a Capella version of the first verse, but in English (he had remembered the lyrics again). After that people were massively cheering and he was like “Oh, so you want me to do this in English?” *cheeeeeeeeeeeeering* So I guess that was part of the reason why he finally did it in English later at the gig.

I'm still hibelling when thinking about the sound check! This alone would have made it worth to travel to Switzerland!

After the sound check we went back outside and got our wristbands. Everyone lined up but it weren’t too many people when the doors opened so we all got front row (I only realized later that I was actually front row centre – Wow!). The security guys didn’t hold us back and didn’t mind us running like mad to the front row. They were making fun of us though ^^.

So we were all sitting with our backs on the barrier with a happy smile on our faces. I was next to Tiibet and the Spanish girls - Lovely company for a gig. I was trying to remember my Spanish from aaaaaaaages ago – and I miserably failed. It was also lovely to discuss Finnish music with Nina. (NB: I checked out Dingo. Can’t believe I hadn’t known this legendary Finnish band before!)

The bands before Mika

The first band to play was Monophon (http://monophon.ch/). They were ok I guess. I kinda had developed a crush on the singer, had already noticed him before during Mika’s sound check (he was watching it, too). He also having seen Mika’s sound check on stage complementing him on his vocals.

(Protection – hint: he was wearing the same/a similar red trousers yesterday….)

The second band was (A LOT) less my cup of tea (called The Duke Spirit). The lead singer seemed to be very out of this world to me….Nina and me were trying to figure out why anyone would book them for a gig abroad. The rain was getting a bit heavier when they were playing which was IMHO a sign of heaven not liking them too much either...

The third band (The Rambling Wheels) was amazing and brought the rock back to Schaffhausen. And they actually dedicated a song to our lovely Nina!

They really made the crowd go wild.

So the atmosphere was already burning before Mika had even set foot on stage. :wink2:

Some of us got interviewed for the Swiss radio. They loved that there were people from all over Europe. However, there are always some weird questions like “Are you in love with Mika?” or “While you be screaming when he comes on stage?”

The girls behind us had already being screaming during the whole gig of The Rambling Wheels so melody nicely asked them to try not to scream that much while Nina would be filming (lol. The girls were like: Uhm, ok).

Very shortly before Mika was coming on stage melody was pointing out to me that Allegra had arrived! What a pleasant surprise! Yay!

M-I-K-A

So when the gig started I loved the actual gig. My spot was excellent, people were all very enthusiastic, singing and dancing along. It felt good being part of this crowd!

Mika was in good mood joking a lot, and the band seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. Great to see that Marcus and Ben feeling more and more comfortable. And the guitar guy was doing a great job, too! The girls were as great as always!

When the setlist was fixed on stage we already saw the lyrics for “Elle me dit” in English and were therefore looking forwards to it! I really like the English version, too. It’s just as funny as the French one. However it takes some time for me to get used to the song being in English. But I think it’s great that he wrote English lyrics, too. Thanks to everyone who was writing down the lyrics this afternoon. I didn’t understand that much yesterday. Just the “get your ass to #1” part :teehee:

I absolutely love Rain with Imma singing the intro! Happy Ending was a beautiful, too!

A very nice moment was also when Mika was beheading everyone and he noticed that it was actually raining a bit more he also beheaded the rain :naughty:

It was a great gig, it really was!

After the gig

After the gig we all went to the building where the changing rooms etc. would be in but we were chased away and had to wait at the end of the street – the security guys set up barriers – which was not too bad, so Mika wasn’t mobbed later.

It started again to rain, and rain even more….really funny – all of us waiting under the pouring rain...

The was a little confusion when we read Imma’s tweet about Mika having gotten his plane. So funny! :roftl: Imma was also wearing her Hello Kitty ring after the gig. She showed in through the window when the band was driving off just after Mika in their van.

So we were waiting for Mika and we didn’t have to wait that long. By the time it wasn’t raining that heavily anymore.

He was in a good mood chatting to everyone and signing stuff.

Yasmine was taking pix of Mika and fans…

Then they drove off…And the band van just behind.

So that was it. The summer tour 2011 is officially over.

But it was definitely a GREAT gig to end with. :groupwave:

Then came the goodbyes. I never like that part…

Hasi (Miri) was kind enough to let me stay at her place last night – from which I took the train back to Paris today at 12:15.

Thank you! The drive back home was good, too. While Ralph was sleeping almost the whole time. Miri and me had a good chat.

We arrived back home around 5:15 am this morning, I got up around 10 and made it safely back home today…

I’m really curious about the other songs on the album, about the next tour etc…And it is definitely never boring to go to a Mika show. Even if some people don’t understand.

Okay, enough said…THANK YOU to all MFCers who were there and made this one very special for me!

Btw, there is an article about Mika's gig on the local newspaper, however it's only available to subscribers http://www2.shn.ch/

However, the title does already sound very positive. "Das Festival: Mika macht krönenden Abschluss" (that would translate as "grand finale" or as "the festival was crowned by").

Back home :biggrin2: Had a great trip.

Thank you very much for another lovely report, Nina!

I'm quite jealous cause you were allowed to watch the soundcheck! I always love seeing him in pictures wearing his normal outfit and telling the band how he wants things to work, like taking care of every single detail. :wub2:

Do we know why there was a "new" guy replacing Martin?

Super glad you had a lot of fun! :biggrin2:

And even my 7 yo son has learnt most the lyrics in French :teehee:

And I haven't. :lmfao:

Elle me Dit in English:

Thanks to Tiibet!!!

A quick update in my blog with a few pics and Elle Me Dit. Maybe someone wants to link them to the list?

Thank you!!! It's great that we have lyrics already, because I really can't get almost anything from the video! :roftl: And even if I still don't know the French version perfectly, most of it comes instantly to my mind and prevents me from hearing what he says in English.

BTW, I love the way he's always in a "I don't know how to do it, but whatever, I'll do it anyway" mood. I wish I could be like that!

thanks for the vid and pics and small report

i like EMD in english, but still prefer the french version

I don't think I could say which one I actually prefer because considering the lyrics we already have in English, I prefer them compared to the translated ones from the French version. However, it sounds weird when he sings it (analyzing through the video, obviously) because I still can't detach it from the French version. If it makes any sense... :huh:

Gosh...I´m still tired! -.- But before I´m back to sleep I want to let you know some facts about the great gig yesterday in Schaffhausen.

Thanks for your report! :flowers2: I'm :lmfao: over that part when you say the guy told Yasmine not to take pictures!

Were his trousers in another colour or was it the light ?

Going through Hasibobberle's pictures, I guess they're really different. :thumb_yello:

No I don't. The majority of the Canadian population does not speak French.

Can I just please say that lots of people were not born where they live and that sometimes some MFCers are not from the places that are shown on their profiles...? (Quoting you just to express agreement, Christine!)

Happy Ending

I'm in love with this video! He's so sweet in the beginning.

And he says it's hard to sing HE, doesn't he? I can't imagine what he'd be able to do if it was easy. :roftl:

28m021x.jpg

Loved this one!

Edited by Fran
My bad English. Again.

Oh, Marion, thanks for writing such a lovely report!!!!! :wub2: It is much how felt the gig/the day because I was next to you both at the soundcheck and at the gig, so I loved reading it!

I tried to find the Rambling Wheels song as a vid but I couldn't find but I actually found it from iTunes. My song! "Girl with the tattoo" Hahah, it wasn't only for me but I happened to be in front of the singer :teehee:

I agree with you about the soundcheck, it was definitely one of the most special moments :mf_lustslow: Our conversation (=we were quite speechless) during it still makes me smile :roftl:

Thanks everyone for your company! It was such a pleasure to meet you all :wub2: