REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS - Das Festival, Aug. 6 Aug. 2011, Schaffhausen, Switzerland

guylainem123

Great report Nina! I'm so glad things have ended on a really high note for you and everyone who was there. Sounds wonderful. :wub2:

exactly! :aah:

I mean, I really would like Black Stones to sing in Serbian, why do they have to sing in Japanese, it doesn't matter that they're Japanese band, I want Serbian song cos I can't sing along in Japanese and I don't want to bother to learn the lyrics anyway :roftl:

The difference is Mika is not a French artist and he never was so that is not a valid analogy. If he was I'm sure a large portion of the people he sold LICM to would have never liked his music. We bought one product and now it's being substituted for another product and some people (understandably) do not want it.

If you've been buying chocolate ice cream for the past 5 years and suddenly your local shop only supplies lemon sherbet are you supposed to be satisfied with that and just eat the lemon sherbet you never wanted in the first place? I mean people who like lemon sherbet don't complain about chocolate ice cream so what's your problem?! Just eat this sour ice you don't like and be happy about it. Don't got to another shop. Just be loyal to the shop that has stopped providing you with the product you want and eat the sherbet you don't like. :mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh...I´m still tired! -.- But before I´m back to sleep I want to let you know some facts about the great gig yesterday in Schaffhausen.

I started my trip at 10:30am with my brother (he doesn´t like Mika´s music that much…so bro I love ya! Thx!) :naughty: We arrived 1:30pm where we met mariposa. Mika´s stage was already built up, as we saw when we walked through the festival area. At the entrance a lady from the festival management gave us a big bag full of drinks. 5 mins later she came again and said that we are allowed to see the soundcheck. She also mentioned that Mika won´t come on stage. Nontheless we catched the opportunity – of course ;-) It was one of my highlights yesterday! Cherisse and iMMa were nearly 50mins on stage. Yasmine and Mama P. walked through the area (we recognized it very late). Then tiibet said that Mika is on stage….all of us like WTF? :blink: Yes he was on stage and played “Stuck in the middle” to warm up! He was in a such good mood! Unfortunately we weren´t allowed to take pics during the soundcheck (and well yes I caught 2 pics before the security forbade it *hehe*). Yasmine took pics as always…the security saw it and ran to her and said that it´s forbidden…she just smiled, said anything to him and he walked back with a embarrassed face :roftl:

He sang “Elle me dit” in english. First I thought it was an improvisation, but during the gig he said that he´ll sing the song in english *yay* And the funniest moment to me at the soundcheck was when he yawned (without taking the hand before his mouth) and clapped on the piano 3 times. Sooooo cute! :wub2:

After the soundcheck we had to go back to the entrance where we had to get our wristbands. The venue opened at 5pm. All of us caught a frontrow place (I was on iMMa´s and Ben´s side). 3 bands were going to play before Mika (Monophon, Duke Spirit and The Rambling Wheels). The Rambling Wheels were absolutely amazing!!!

When Mika came onto stage the whole crowd freak out – it was an amazing audience! He gots all that positive energy back which he gave! He started with Relax as usual. During Love Today it began to rain a bit (again) so after he “killed” his band he looks up, saw the f***ing rain he did behead it :thumb_yello: well it works, no more rain during the gig.

He sang “Elle me dit” in english, the text was at the bottom in front of him and iMMa, he doesn´t feel comfortable with it yet. He explained that he has to look at it cause he doesn´t have a clue about what he has to sing. I didn´t understand very much…something like “She tells me it´s my life”. The chorous is the same “Elle me dit danse danse danse”. I´m glad about the fact that he sings it in english as well…cause I don´t speak french and when I'm trying to sing along with "Elle me dit" it sounds like I've a speech impediment mixed with a little jaw-problem…that´s not sooo good :biggrin2:

When the gig was over melody, mariposa, graciosa, statue, tiibet, allegra and I walked to the entrance/exit of the theatre where the changing rooms were located. The security wasn´t that kind as they were in the afternoon – so we did *yay* cause that was the sign, that Mika comes out there :naughty: The *yay*-effect didn´t last long -> rain…heavy rain! When Mika get into the car the rain stopped and the car as well when he reached our little crowd of 20 (?) fans. He was so kind and in a good mood. He chatted to nearly everyone who waited for him in the rain and smiled a lot!

Conclusion: GREAT GIG!!! Thanks to my homies mariposa, statue, graciosa, melody and tiibet. Was such a f***cking fab day with you! Hope you all get your train, plane (oh – and Mika got his plane!) :naughty: or something else! x

My personal highlight was the moment when he signed my german yearbook he looked at me and said “I remember your name but I can´t spell it, sorry!” I spelled it, he wrote, I´m happy and still tired :mf_lustslow: Sorry for my english…but I´m soooo boohoooo tired, lucky…dunno what that mood is called :biggrin2:

Oh and pics will follow soon :naughty:

Edited by MFC_Hasi

A quick update in my blog with a few pics and Elle Me Dit. Maybe someone wants to link them to the list?

http://anothermikablog.blogspot.com/2011/08/quick-updates-das-festival-schaffhausen.html

Edit: Thanks Lucrezia, you already found it! :biggrin2:

Your welcome!! :wink2:

It's hard to understand what are the lyrics...Could someone native speakers write the lyrics?

To quote Mika here as not everyone in the crowd was pleased with the English version as well (there were some people whistleing :aah: ): "You can't please everyone, can you?"

Another short comment: During soundcheck he did EMD in French at first and afterwards just did the first couple of lines in English, quite spontaneously and a capella iirc. The fans watching the soundcheck were cheering a lot afterwards so he asked "What was that? Do you want it in English?" We all screamed "yeeees!" :naughty: and he went "Oh God!" :naughty: (he said that in a funny way).

Then later they put the English lyrics for him and iMMa on stage. So it's possible that he decided it because of the soundcheck. They hadn't rehearsed it earlier apparently. Yay for MFC-power! :naughty:

Oh and some tried to get those texts after the gig but one of stage guys got quite unfriendly and threw the texts away.

Proper report coming later. Maybe tonight or on tuesday. Will upload pics as well. Probably not as many as usual because of the "no flash!" :aah:

P.s.: sorry for the typos in my tweets. Typing on a touchscreen is still quite new to me plus it was in a var plus I was super tired :aah:

aww i'm already :fangurl:ing:teehee:

Great report Nina! I'm so glad things have ended on a really high note for you and everyone who was there. Sounds wonderful. :wub2:

The difference is Mika is not a French artist and he never was so that is not a valid analogy. If he was I'm sure a large portion of the people he sold LICM to would have never liked his music. We bought one product and now it's being substituted for another product and some people (understandably) do not want it.

If you've been buying chocolate ice cream for the past 5 years and suddenly your local shop only supplies lemon sherbet are you supposed to be satisfied with that and just eat the lemon sherbet you never wanted in the first place? I mean people who like lemon sherbet don't complain about chocolate ice cream so what's your problem?! Just eat this sour ice you don't like and be happy about it. Don't got to another shop. Just be loyal to the shop that has stopped providing you with the product you want and eat the sherbet you don't like. :mf_rosetinted:

I believe the only difference is that I don't see Mika nor his music as a product :blink:

Picasso went from blue and green phase to Guernica and those are two completely different styles, and no one's got a problem with that

To quote Mika here as not everyone in the crowd was pleased with the English version as well (there were some people whistleing :aah: ): "You can't please everyone, can you?"

What do you mean by the whistling? This is some sign of disapproval? :naughty:

Another short comment: During soundcheck he did EMD in French at first and afterwards just did the first couple of lines in English, quite spontaneously and a capella iirc. The fans watching the soundcheck were cheering a lot afterwards so he asked "What was that? Do you want it in English?" We all screamed "yeeees!" :naughty: and he went "Oh God!" :naughty: (he said that in a funny way).

Then later they put the English lyrics for him and iMMa on stage. So it's possible that he decided it because of the soundcheck. They hadn't rehearsed it earlier apparently. Yay for MFC-power! :naughty:

Oh yes that sounds about right :lmfao::thumb_yello:

Why am I finding it hard to believe that this song was originally written in French? :teehee: He was saying from one of the early gigs that it was a mix of English/French and then proceeded to sing it entirely in French. Sounds like there were English verses right from the beginning.

this is exactly why I got so annoyed when he first published EMD and so many fans started b***ing around cos of the French lyrics. he LISTENS to his fans and he indulges them which is more than 98% artists do.

So if people don't say anything about it how is he going to listen to them? :blink:

A quick update in my blog with a few pics and Elle Me Dit. Maybe someone wants to link them to the list?

http://anothermikablog.blogspot.com/2011/08/quick-updates-das-festival-schaffhausen.html

Edit: Thanks Lucrezia, you already found it! :biggrin2:

Thank you so much for your report and for the vid of EMD. It´s a weird feeling to hear the English words because I heard the song a thousand time in french and my ears seem to refuse to recognize the other language :roftl: ( do you know what I mean? ). I really love the performance. Were his trousers in another colour or was it the light ?

During soundcheck he did EMD in French at first and afterwards just did the first couple of lines in English, quite spontaneously and a capella iirc. The fans watching the soundcheck were cheering a lot afterwards so he asked "What was that? Do you want it in English?" We all screamed "yeeees!" :naughty: and he went "Oh God!" :naughty: (he said that in a funny way).

So it means that

1.he is likely to have written this song in English originally

2. nagging works

:teehee:

Thanks for the video Nina. Just listening now. :teehee:

I believe the only difference is that I don't see Mika nor his music as a product :blink:

Picasso went from blue and green phase to Guernica and those are two completely different styles, and no one's got a problem with that

Language is not a matter of style. Lyrics are words with meaning and if those lyrics are unintelligible to the listener then they are rendered meaningless.

That's exactly what I thought reading the text you replied to:thumb_yello:

and...yes...there are other shops with other products....

Gosh...I´m still tired! -.- But before I´m back to sleep I want to let you know some facts about the great gig yesterday in Schaffhausen.

I started my trip at 10:30am with my brother (he doesn´t like Mika´s music that much…so bro I love ya! Thx!) :naughty: We arrived 1:30pm where we met mariposa. Mika´s stage was already built up, as we saw when we walked through the festival area. At the entrance a lady from the festival management gave us a big bag full of drinks. 5 mins later she came again and said that we are allowed to see the soundcheck. She also mentioned that Mika won´t come on stage. Nontheless we catched the opportunity – of course ;-) It was one of my highlights yesterday! Cherisse and iMMa were nearly 50mins on stage. Yasmine and Mama P. walked through the area (we recognized it very late). Then tiibet said that Mika is on stage….all of us like WTF? :blink: Yes he was on stage and played “Stuck in the middle” to warm up! He was in a such good mood! Unfortunately we weren´t allowed to take pics during the soundcheck (and well yes I caught 2 pics before the security forbade it *hehe*). Yasmine took pics as always…the security saw it and ran to her and said that it´s forbidden…she just smiled, said anything to him and he walked back with a embarrassed face :roftl:

He sang “Elle me dit” in english. First I thought it was an improvisation, but during the gig he said that he´ll sing the song in english *yay* And the funniest moment to me at the soundcheck was when he yawned (without taking the hand before his mouth) and clapped on the piano 3 times. Sooooo cute! :wub2:

After the soundcheck we had to go back to the entrance where we had to get our wristbands. The venue opened at 5pm. All of us caught a frontrow place (I was on iMMa´s and Ben´s side). 3 bands were going to play before Mika (Monophon, Duke Spirit and The Rambling Wheels). The Rambling Wheels were absolutely amazing!!!

When Mika came onto stage the whole crowd freak out – it was an amazing audience! He gots all that positive energy back which he gave! He started with Relax as usual. During Love Today it began to rain a bit (again) so after he “killed” his band he looks up, saw the f***ing rain he did behead it :thumb_yello: well it works, no more rain during the gig.

He sang “Elle me dit” in english, the text was at the bottom in front of him and iMMa, he doesn´t feel comfortable with it yet. He explained that he has to look at it cause he doesn´t have a clue about what he has to sing. I didn´t understand very much…something like “She tells me it´s my life”. The chorous is the same “Elle me dit danse danse danse”. I´m glad about the face that he sings it in english as well…cause I don´t speak french and when I'm trying to sing along with "Elle me dit" it sounds like I've a speech impediment mixed with a little jaw-problem…that´s not sooo good :biggrin2:

When the gig was over melody, mariposa, graciosa, statue, tiibet, allegra and I walked to the entrance/exit of the theatre where the changing rooms were located. The security wasn´t that kind as they were at the afternoon – so we did *yay* cause that was the sign, that Mika comes out there :naughty: The *yay*-effect didn´t last long -> rain…heavy rain! When Mika get into the car the rain stopped and the car as well when he reached our little crowd of 20 (?) fans. He was so kind and in a good mood. He chatted to nearly everyone who waited for him in the rain and smiled a lot!

Conclusion: GREAT GIG!!! Thanks to my mariposa, statue, graciosa, melody and tiibet. Was such a f***cking fab day with you! Hope you all get your train, plane (oh – and Mika got his plane!) :naughty: or something else! x

My personal highlight was the moment when he signed my german yearbook he looked at me and said “I remember your name but I can´t spell it, sorry!” I spelled it, he wrote, I´m happy and still tired :mf_lustslow: Sorry for my english…but I´m soooo boohoooo tired, lucky…dunno what that mood is called :biggrin2:

Oh and pics will follow soon :naughty:

lovely report :wub2:

Language is not a matter of style. Lyrics are words with meaning and if those lyrics are unintelligible to the listener then they are rendered meaningless.

oh, C'MON!!! :roftl::roftl::roftl:

you are from Canada, don't tell me you don't speak French?

I love the line 'Get your ass to number one!' :aah:

That was the first thing I noticed :lmfao:

I will try to transcribe the lyrics but it might take awhile. :naughty:

No I don't. The majority of the Canadian population does not speak French.

Hasi, your report is amazing, thanks for writing it :wub2:

Hahah, I was holding my mobile (calling my husband) and drinking water at the same time and I almost choked when I saw Mika on stage starting the soundcheck and couldn't talk but tried to sign to people next to me that Mika is on stage :roftl: He was very relaxed, loved it :wub2:

I think singing EMD was quite sudden decision, that's why they didn't want to give the lyrics (and the sound guy was not angry at us who were asking the lyrics but the local guy who almost gave them). The lyrics must be very new and quickly made, maybe they are not really official :naughty:

He was really sweet to everyone after the show, and Yasmine took many pics, we must look bad in them because it was raining so heavily and we were all so wet and freezing. And my first words to him were "this is disgusting", I meant the weather :doh::roftl: Some day I will say something smart. But he was very cute :wub2:

And he had uncomfortable tights during the show, he kept touching and scratching his pants :teehee: He needs better ones for the next tour. Lol :wub2:

Edited by tiibet

Oh that's lovely. :wub2:

oh, C'MON!!! :roftl::roftl::roftl:

well, in belgium there's a bit more dutch speakers than french speakers and believe me, there's lots of dutch speakers that don't know french and vice versa :huh:

even i don't speak french very well, i can understand it, but not as i would like too

oh and sorry for the off topic :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks Nina, Saskia and Hasi for your reports, and thanks to Louiza and Saskia for the tweets last night, they made me smile :wub2:

Interesting version of Elle Me Dit, some lyrics stand out, will be great to figure them all out at some point.

Why am I finding it hard to believe that this song was originally written in French? :teehee: He was saying from one of the early gigs that it was a mix of English/French and then proceeded to sing it entirely in French. Sounds like there were English verses right from the beginning.

yes, he seems to have spontaneously sang it in English at the soundcheck and then he decided to sing it in English, quickly putting down the words he remembered from his original version.

As for the song Karen though, the verses follow the French way of speaking, so Mika's French lyricist must have written those in French originally, to which Mika wrote the music.