he also said that TBWKTM would be more angry... i'm still looking for it :naughty:

did he? didn't know that... but yeah TBWKTM is more angry then LICM . it's about teenage things and teenagers are more angry then younger children . (the anger/frustration is more permanent and more attached to the teenage age ohhhh I'm searching for words here...I'm not talking about an angry 5 year old who wants a toy :original:

and the anger can be passive or transformed

Edited by Melisanda

I find it interesting to read which song a person likes and which one dislikes here...one person can love Karen and at the same time dislike Under Water- how is it possible?;-)))) it's not a question really, I understand that , I just want to say how lucky I feel...cause normally I am exactly like that- I like some songs from an artist and dislike or just don't feel anything about other songs from the same artist...basically I just like particular songs....and it happened only twice in my life first with Freddie M (sorry I promised myself never write about Freddie while writing about Mika)-but it was after his death, I was too young...and I cried for more than 10 years that he's gone and NOW with Mika, that I like just absolutely everything they sing. and I don't need time , it's just automatically, click (well, with most of the songs I like/dislike at first listen).

I like absolutely everything Mika sings and every cover - of course there are songs more or less favourite - but I just like most things about him- and sure there are possible things to dislike, sometimes I disagree/don't share taste but hey it's like with some people -you just like them!!!!

I'm pretty sure he will be my favourite artist forever- I always have a favourite one and I was waiting for ten years to discover him (FM will always be the first one, now it's Mika) and I really think very separately about them- they're just both genious and my type-of course Mika is different and unique. what's more- I always loved that early Freddies songs written for the piano-he left that when more heavy stuff appeared and Mika is like the perfect continuation and having said that I loved everything Freddie sang but I disliked music on his solo record, the instruments were bad (songs were ok ) and Mika never does such mistakes

I may dislike a tiny detail sometimes but it's really not very important

so I think it's a miracle cause I don't have to worry about not liking a song by him....and normally I'm like : like it-hate it- quite selective and with strong, often negative opnion :-))))))

there are many artists I respect but not listen but that's another story

omg I 'm so talkactive at night...

leaving;-)))

Edited by Melisanda

OMG that's crazy!! :eek:

How can this thread have 21 pages already?

We heard Under Water for the 1st time 36 hours ago only :teehee:

With this thread, the report one and all the vids to watch again, I think my working day is highly compromised again! :naughty:

Edited by francoise

I screamed at Mika like that " YOU are a Fu**in Bast**d" after hearing "My sister is a Fu**kin Bi**h" LOL LOL

I heard native speakers use this F word kind of joking or irony.

Yeah, he's naughty a bit and I was too. ^^

As I said in another thread: I love it so much! :wub2:

For me this song is incredibly beautiful!

but how the hell he could called his sister b**ch???:shocked: Bad Meeks!:naughty:

Mika has lots of songs. No one has to love all of them or even try. :naughty:

I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing your own mind either and just going with that. What other people think of his songs has no impact on me at all. I live in a part of Canada where most people do not rate him as a popular (i.e. good) singer, so I wouldn't even be a fan if I was influenced by what everyone around me thinks :dunno:

We talk about language a lot but it's even more than that as there is a cultural bias, not just from where you live but what era you grew up in and what kind of music you've spent your life listening to.

I can't even really articulate why a line like "All I see just amazes" is a perfect lyric and "I adore you nothing more to say" is totally lame and makes me roll my eyes. It's not that one is more complex or one is grammatically incorrect or whatever. It's just what MY experience with the language and songs I've heard tells me and if you're not in my head you're not necessarily going to agree.

The other thing about this song is Mika sounds sincere. And insincerity is what puts me off of BIOTW more than the awkward poetry of the lyrics. It's not that I can't stomach romantic songs, but it doesn't feel romantic when Mika is faking it. It also seems like such a strain for him whereas Under Water is effortless, especially the lower/softer parts.

I am really impressed with this song because it sounds like such a departure from his other stuff IMO but a natural byproduct of growing up and not because he's trying to jump on some trend to cash in on a hit. It's also very direct without being perfectly literal, unlike HMDYLM which still had some sideline story about a boy and a girl that never made any sense to me. It made me wonder if "How much do you love me, how much do you care?" was a first person question or just another line in a story about some random people.

This was a very interesting post (thanks Christine!) because I can't see much difference in the lines you mentioned myself, I really can't (I mean as English lines). Finnish language is very different than English, because most things sound fake or ridiculous in Finnish. Finnish people don't even use the word "love", not often. I never say "I love you" to even my kids or husband. I say "you are very dear to me". Most times we say absolutely nothing, and we assume the silence tells it all :roftl: In Finnish words need to be very very simple and not exaggerating, otherwise they are fake or make us feel only silly.

I see BIOTW very theatrical song because it _sounds_ theatrical, he performs it in a theatrical way and the whole message is theatrical and melodramatic, not only some particular words. I have really enjoyed BIOTW live. I never think he is faking, because of course he is faking, it's not a sincere and honest song... I like it and I'm interested in watching how it evolves but it doesn't touch my heart the same way as some of his other songs do.

UW is different, it sounds SO honest, it's much more simple and yesterday I had the same feeling I had when I heard I'm falling from Youtube for the first time. It's a beautiful song, and the lines "cause all I need is the love you breathe etc" are just brilliant (mainly as a thought, not sure it's as brilliant for a native speaker, I see it as one thought). And he really sounds sincere when he is singing the song. UW will definitely be one of my favorite Mika songs, and it was in my head from the first second and it felt very powerful, so I immediately thought it will also be generally popular. However, I sent a link to UW to my husband, and he had listened to the song but he wasn't that impressed. I was shocked, because the whole thought behind the lyrics is breath-taking! "Oh, I didn't listen to the lyrics", he said. Actually, my whole family likes EMD a lot, even it's in French!

I can understand my husband though, because I love Karen even I can't understand the lyrics. I love Mika's voice in it, and his voice is the most important thing why I listen to him. I really don't have similar strong feelings for all his songs. Toy Boy is definitely not in my top10 songs :teehee: I don't think it's a problem. Whether you like a song or not is personal. I know that many people see Toy Boy as one of his best songs. Lol, in the end every song is brilliant when he is on stage singing it in front of me, it's the way he performs and his voice live that matters. For me live versions are always more important than album versions, but it's important for him as an artist to make good albums, of course I want the third album to be good, have a strong theme and no weak songs.

Edited by tiibet

I love this song. This is the first of the new songs that has made me feel all warm and fuzzy again. I woke up this morning with it stuck in my head despite only having listened to it a couple times. :punk:

Two observations so far:

1) I agree with whoever it was (sorry, forgot to quote) that said it sounds Elton John-ish. And I mean that in all the right ways. :wub2:

2) Can I just take a moment to say how freakin' cool it is that this community is so into this stuff? It's been a day and a half and the video is already showing 3,000 views, and we have an International Lyrics Deciphering Team hard at work.

Another band I'm into has also been debuting some new stuff live and it's like their fans don't even care. They do a new song and someone YouTubes it, but no one even posts a thread on their forum, much less puts their heads together to figure out the lyrics. MFC is awesome that way. :huglove:

I think that's as close as I'm going to get until we get another video,

or Mika sends me the lyrics. :wub2:

Or until Mana comes online -- she's always really good at deciphering things,

too. Oh Mana?!

*appears in a puff of smoke*

I think you've beaten the lyrics out of these vids as best we can. I'm also hearing "You are the port of my call", but I can't f*^%& make out the line after that. :hair: If I type it phonetically it sounds like:

You are the port of my call

You shot a leavea murraw :roftl:

So if we were to extrapolate that into recognizable English...anyone? :insane:

I think this video is the clearest one of that part, and you can see his lips:

[YOUTUBE]A3s24CdaG5M[/YOUTUBE]

I don't want Under water to be electro in the end!!! No, Mika, NO!:shocked:

If he synths up his voice in the album version of this song I shall leave MFC forever as a display of my utmost disproval. :shocked:

No, not really. But I'll whine and stomp my feet for sure.

Mika has lots of songs. No one has to love all of them or even try. :naughty:

I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing your own mind either and just going with that. What other people think of his songs has no impact on me at all. I live in a part of Canada where most people do not rate him as a popular (i.e. good) singer, so I wouldn't even be a fan if I was influenced by what everyone around me thinks :dunno:

We talk about language a lot but it's even more than that as there is a cultural bias, not just from where you live but what era you grew up in and what kind of music you've spent your life listening to.

I can't even really articulate why a line like "All I see just amazes" is a perfect lyric and "I adore you nothing more to say" is totally lame and makes me roll my eyes. It's not that one is more complex or one is grammatically incorrect or whatever. It's just what MY experience with the language and songs I've heard tells me and if you're not in my head you're not necessarily going to agree.

The other thing about this song is Mika sounds sincere. And insincerity is what puts me off of BIOTW more than the awkward poetry of the lyrics. It's not that I can't stomach romantic songs, but it doesn't feel romantic when Mika is faking it. It also seems like such a strain for him whereas Under Water is effortless, especially the lower/softer parts.

I am really impressed with this song because it sounds like such a departure from his other stuff IMO but a natural byproduct of growing up and not because he's trying to jump on some trend to cash in on a hit. It's also very direct without being perfectly literal, unlike HMDYLM which still had some sideline story about a boy and a girl that never made any sense to me. It made me wonder if "How much do you love me, how much do you care?" was a first person question or just another line in a story about some random people.

Aww Christine, I like what you say so much! :wub2:

First of all a huge thank you for the videos and the lyrics transcription! :bow:

I like the song, although I'm not blown away: the melody is lovely, his voice stunning, his interpretation great, I'm not particularly fond of the lyrics, especially of 'under water' on repeat :naughty:

I prefer to focus on the sound of the words, rather than on the meaning, and on the atmosphere :wub2:

All in all I prefer the French songs, as I can relate more to them :teehee:

Well, at least for now :D

Edited by mari62

First of all, thanks a lot for the videos and the lyrics.

I absolutely love the lyrics of the song, they are so heartfelt!

The arrangement itself, on the other hand, doesn't get me that much; the song is beautiful, but there's something in the 'under water-part' that doesn't pull me in.

I have to agree - don't like it. Sounds like a love sick puppy (not that there is anything wrong with that). I do not see a Hint of MIKA in UW. Very happy he is happy but this song I can't find a story, I can't hear the melody, and I can't listen to it more than once. I hope he doesn't scrap BIOTW - because of what is being written here. I showed a piano teacher the beautiful piano version on UTube and it is quite spectacular a really beautiful melody - I don't think the words are so cheesy as everyone is talking about - maybe a little tweaking and I like all the different arrangements they performed for this song as well as their voices together. Ida's classical training is not allowing her to sing in a normal voice better suited for POP (Charlotte Church has same problem). But I do have to admit, Ida is dancing here heart out on that stage - there used to be people complaining that she was too stiff and couldn't dance, but now she is really moving and looking very good and sexy - Yay for her.

BIOTW = probably a song that so many could relate to. UW sounds like a poem that a love struck person might write. I do like the concept of the a love is so strong you could survive under water - I think Mika has to hold his new to jump in - not sure though!

corkie63 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

I think you sound too harsh :sneaky2: and offensive.

And personally I see Mika in every note of this song. Is he supposed to jump nonchalantly till his 50?

there's nothing harsh in contructive criticism IMO.

Let's agree we can disagree!

Actually, I cannot explain to myself why Under Water appleals me more than the rest of new songs. The melody is simple, the lyrics are simple.

He puts the same passion in singing BIOTW as in Underwater...so what?

I would like some music maestro would show us where the trick is, how the costruction/production of the song makes it OK or not.

and then maybe we will come to the conclusion that it's only a matter of taste. We are not music experts, so anything we may say it's just personal IMO.

But if we say it HERE, in Mika's fanclub, we say it with love for sure. :wub2:

there's nothing harsh in contructive criticism IMO.

Let's agree we can disagree!

Actually, I cannot explain to myself why Under Water appleals me more than the rest of new songs. The melody is simple, the lyrics are simple.

He puts the same passion in singing BIOTW as in Underwater...so what?

I would like some music maestro would show us where the trick is, how the costruction/production of the song makes it OK or not.

and then maybe we will come to the conclusion that it's only a matter of taste. We are not music experts, so anything we may say it's just personal IMO.

But if we say it HERE, in Mika's fanclub, we say it with love for sure. :wub2:

For me that's an important part, it makes this song very powerful. People obviously see (I mean see as understand/feel) music in very different ways. I thought UW was very powerful since the very first time I heard it, more powerful than his songs for a long time, it had my heart completely, and it looks majority of his fans love it (it doesn't divide people as much as EMD/BIOTW) so I really hope it will be on his new album.

But as you said, this is a matter of taste, no one should feel bad if they disagree :wink2: We really don't need to love each song equally :biggrin2:

For me that's an important part, it makes this song very powerful. People obviously see (I mean see as understand/feel) music in very different ways. I thought UW was very powerful since the very first time I heard it, more powerful than his songs for a long time, it had my heart completely, and it looks majority of his fans love it (it doesn't divide people as much as EMD/BIOTW) so I really hope it will be on his new album.

But as you said, this is a matter of taste, no one should feel bad if they disagree :wink2: We really don't need to love each song equally :biggrin2:

I felt the same about UW, it is powerful and deep; and I don't know why I'm so obsessed with it while I didn't like Weather song - maybe they are like negative sides (in photography sense).

I love EMD and I'm happy every time I'm listening to it, but it is just a joyful feeling, like butterfly. And as for UW, it touches some deep spiritual strings, unconscious knowledge, I don't know how to explain it :aah:

And of course I understand that some people may not like it, as Rosa does, but some words can sound too coarse :dunno:

I hope he doesn't scrap BIOTW - because of what is being written here. I showed a piano teacher the beautiful piano version on UTube and it is quite spectacular a really beautiful melody.

I agree BIOTW has a great melody. Anyone can hear that even without a piano teacher confirming it. What I love most about the song itself is the harmonising that unfortunately was not really in tune at all parts at previous gigs so it ruined the performance but one can still hear that it could be a great song. It is good base / raw material to work on.

We have a separate thread for this song - you might want to add your thoughts there, too :wink2: