One thing I love about UW, also the others EMD, Karen, and even BIOTW, is that Mika is using his lower voice more. His lower voice is gorgeous!!

But with UW, I think he's written a perfect Mika song. The verses are low, and then the chorus kicks in with the high vocalisation. But the high vocalisation in the chorus is not annoying (like the chorus of Rain can be imho) in fact the chorus of UW kind-of reminds me of the high-vocalisation he performs at the start of Relax, which has always made me melt into goo!

So Mika will be pulling people to him with the beautiful verse of the song, then he'll hit them with the high chorus and they'll be hooked, and (hopefully) will think. "I didn't realise that Mika was SOOO GOOOOD!":mf_lustslow:

I'm also thrilled that we are seeing this romantic side of Mika. After all, he is 28 now, he's looking really handsome, and I think the new songs will gain him a whole new army of fans.

There may still be songs with stories to them, but I'm loving this new side of Mika a whole lot, and I'm really hopeful for the album.

While reading I wanted to jump, that's how I second you!!! :thumb_yello: I feel a bit ashamed only saying that I'm agree with someone, but my lame English doesn't allow me to put my thoughts into a row.

I feel absolutely the same about UW, and only today was thinking the same things about low/high voice, Relax and Rain, but had no idea to wtire it here, dunno why...:aah:

TOOL's 12 songs:

:floor: (these days I use this smilie way to often)

Aw remember when you used to say that to me? :wub2: Now you are agreeing with me. :roftl:

Yes that was my reaction too. I adore it, nothing more to say. :teehee:

:

1. Yes, some things strangely change! So, I'm not a honeymooner anymore? :tears:

2. All in all the Weather song has several useful quotes :naughty:

:tears:

I don´t like it :tears:

And Im sad cause with the other songs people weren´t agreed at all, some liked and some didn´t .... but this time everybody loves it.... :tears:

I just like the piano...

But I promise I will listen to it like 93847598347534987 times till it gets to me.... :aah:

Don't feel like that, Rosita...

I feel the same way about the damn song, too...

First of all...

Wonka, you are (and I say this with great affection) totally insane :insane:

:lmfao:

Coming from you, i take it as a compliment....:huglove:

And after reading your posts.... IS IT THAT YOU ENGLISH SPEAKERS HAVE A SUBJECT AT SCHOOL TO STUDY PHONETICS???? :shocked: :shocked:

Oh God!!! That explains how difficult is for us non-speakers to understand you... In Spain an "a" sounds the same no matter where it is, I mean.. in english the "o" of the word "word" it´s not the same than in "good". That doesn´t happen here. The "o" has the same phonetic ALWAYS. And I´m totally freaking out trying to understand you all!!!! :aah: That´s why even if I can (more or less) explain myself here and understand what you type, it becomes a nightmare when I need to speak or to understand anyother´s talk.

As an English student, they kind of expect me to be all phonetically correct and stuff:mf_rosetinted:

And after reading your posts.... IS IT THAT YOU ENGLISH SPEAKERS HAVE A SUBJECT AT SCHOOL TO STUDY PHONETICS???? :shocked: :shocked:

Oh God!!! That explains how difficult is for us non-speakers to understand you... In Spain an "a" sounds the same no matter where it is, I mean.. in english the "o" of the word "word" it´s not the same than in "good". That doesn´t happen here. The "o" has the same phonetic ALWAYS. And I´m totally freaking out trying to understand you all!!!! :aah: That´s why even if I can (more or less) explain myself here and understand what you type, it becomes a nightmare when I need to speak or to understand anyother´s talk.

Hey, don't make that typical mistake :naughty: by saying "In Spain". In Spain, other languages (such as for example, Catalan, or I guess also Valencia?) DO have vowels that are pronounced differently as either 'open' or 'closed', and it changes the sound completely, just like the live/leave example in English.

In Catalan we have two different sounds for each of these vowels: a, e and o, and they all sound very different phonetically.

:dunno: Maybe it's for this reason that I never struggled to recognise the different vowel sounds in English, because I am already used to doing this in Catalan

I know that some people who don't learn it as children do sometimes have issues with it in adulthood; For example, my mum, who was Spanish speaking and only learned Catalan when she was a teenager. She's never managed to get them 100% right, and still has problems distinguising (as in, hearing, and also saying obviously) the different sounds.

here’s some of my random thoughts about Under Water & the things some people said about it. i hope they make sense!

-i love this song so much! i love EMD and Karen but that took time; with this song it was one listen and BAM INSTANT INFATUATION!

-the lines “port of my call” and “fall to my feet” didn’t make sense to me at first but after pondering then reading further into this thread, i agree they do make sense: a port of call is defined as “any port where a ship stops, excluding its home port” OR “any place visited on a traveller's itinerary”, so i think He’s just saying the ‘you’ the song is addressed to is where he wants to land so to speak. you can fall to your feet if you’re falling from some where above.

-it seems as though the song lyrics (what i can make out anyway, lol) could’ve been written by Lady Jane’s lover (before that whole nasty ‘drowning down below’ business of course) :wub2: this makes me think there is a story to song & perhaps it’s not as simple as it seems.

-the “under waaaaaaaaaater” part is what really hooked me in, it picks up & gets so emotional. i don’t find it that repetitive; i’d definitely feel differently if He sang ‘underwater’ many times in row in the exact same way or in very quick succession (“start again start again start again” etc at the end of English Summer Rain by Placebo… i’m looking at you) the way he sings it i think is a good thing because it gets stuck in your head. it was great to hear the crowd singing along so quickly!

-i haven’t even liked, let alone loved, this blatant of a love song since… geez maybe when i was in my New Kids On The Block and Boyz2Men phase about 20 years ago, unless i’m forgetting one which means i must not have liked it that much :roftl: all the songs even remotely about love i liked are a bit dark & twisted and my 2nd most favorite band swore they’d never even write a song & have pretty much stuck to it which i love them for since i just can’t relate to mushy blatant love songs… hmm, that’s quite depressing. GAAAAAAAAH! what is it about this song that makes me so :fangurl::wub2::mf_lustslow::fangurl:

-it reminds of Placebo’s Breathe Underwater, but that’s probably just because of the title.

-i reckon this is by far my longest post ever on MFC, proof how much i love this song perhaps :mf_rosetinted:

okay i think that’s enough of my giddy ramblings for now.

I started my day with thin song, it's like an addiction.

It is so deep, hearing piano you can feel transparent cold waves, crystal clear, it's fantastic....

yeah...

this song is very panoramic....it creates panoramic views in my head.. the landslide etc....it's like I'm seing a video to this song

about the piano

the first 2 ? (don't remember now) accords resembles Adele's song but at least one Adele's song also is very similar to the song I knew before....ahhh

it's good that the third accord is different and no resemblance later....

or maybe it was on purpose? I don't know

I have to agree - don't like it. Sounds like a love sick puppy (not that there is anything wrong with that). I do not see a Hint of MIKA in UW. Very happy he is happy but this song I can't find a story, I can't hear the melody, and I can't listen to it more than once. I hope he doesn't scrap BIOTW - because of what is being written here. I showed a piano teacher the beautiful piano version on UTube and it is quite spectacular a really beautiful melody - I don't think the words are so cheesy as everyone is talking about - maybe a little tweaking and I like all the different arrangements they performed for this song as well as their voices together. Ida's classical training is not allowing her to sing in a normal voice better suited for POP (Charlotte Church has same problem). But I do have to admit, Ida is dancing here heart out on that stage - there used to be people complaining that she was too stiff and couldn't dance, but now she is really moving and looking very good and sexy - Yay for her.

BIOTW = probably a song that so many could relate to. UW sounds like a poem that a love struck person might write. I do like the concept of the a love is so strong you could survive under water - I think Mika has to hold his new to jump in - not sure though!

corkie63 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

He doesn't look happy....it's more like he wants to be happy....just like me....

oh...it's just me

here’s some of my random thoughts about Under Water & the things some people said about it. i hope they make sense!

-i love this song so much! i love EMD and Karen but that took time; with this song it was one listen and BAM INSTANT INFATUATION!

-the lines “port of my call” and “fall to my feet” didn’t make sense to me at first but after pondering then reading further into this thread, i agree they do make sense: a port of call is defined as “any port where a ship stops, excluding its home port” OR “any place visited on a traveller's itinerary”, so i think He’s just saying the ‘you’ the song is addressed to is where he wants to land so to speak. you can fall to your feet if you’re falling from some where above.

-it seems as though the song lyrics (what i can make out anyway, lol) could’ve been written by Lady Jane’s lover (before that whole nasty ‘drowning down below’ business of course) :wub2: this makes me think there is a story to song & perhaps it’s not as simple as it seems.

-the “under waaaaaaaaaater” part is what really hooked me in, it picks up & gets so emotional. i don’t find it that repetitive; i’d definitely feel differently if He sang ‘underwater’ many times in row in the exact same way or in very quick succession (“start again start again start again” etc at the end of English Summer Rain by Placebo… i’m looking at you) the way he sings it i think is a good thing because it gets stuck in your head. it was great to hear the crowd singing along so quickly!

-i haven’t even liked, let alone loved, this blatant of a love song since… geez maybe when i was in my New Kids On The Block and Boyz2Men phase about 20 years ago, unless i’m forgetting one which means i must not have liked it that much :roftl: all the songs even remotely about love i liked are a bit dark & twisted and my 2nd most favorite band swore they’d never even write a song & have pretty much stuck to it which i love them for since i just can’t relate to mushy blatant love songs… hmm, that’s quite depressing. GAAAAAAAAH! what is it about this song that makes me so :fangurl::wub2::mf_lustslow::fangurl:

-it reminds of Placebo’s Breathe Underwater, but that’s probably just because of the title.

-i reckon this is by far my longest post ever on MFC, proof how much i love this song perhaps :mf_rosetinted:

okay i think that’s enough of my giddy ramblings for now.

what you wrote about LJ's lover is very interesting and imaginative :wink2:

sure the whole post was interesting

ps. but personally I take the 2 songs very separately.

LJ was a beautiful story based on a legend, also very good metaphorically, water played a different role here

UW is totally different, and it's basically about "if you love me I can survive even in difficult/extremely impossible circumstances, leave the old world/pain behind " (like a change, I feel something changed

)

and because life is basically difficult it's just i need your love

also a wonderful metaphor but different

Edited by Melisanda

I'm so addicted ...and something just happened that makes me love it even more...:tears::swoon: It will be linked to a wonderful memory since this minute and for ever :tears::woot_jump::swoon: Sometimes , dreams can come true or at least parts of the dreams...

Sorry if I'm going :offtopic:

I'm just very happy and emotional right now :blush-anim-cl:

Hey, don't make that typical mistake :naughty: by saying "In Spain". In Spain, other languages (such as for example, Catalan, or I guess also Valencia?) DO have vowels that are pronounced differently as either 'open' or 'closed', and it changes the sound completely, just like the live/leave example in English.

In Catalan we have two different sounds for each of these vowels: a, e and o, and they all sound very different phonetically.

:dunno: Maybe it's for this reason that I never struggled to recognise the different vowel sounds in English, because I am already used to doing this in Catalan

I know that some people who don't learn it as children do sometimes have issues with it in adulthood; For example, my mum, who was Spanish speaking and only learned Catalan when she was a teenager. She's never managed to get them 100% right, and still has problems distinguising (as in, hearing, and also saying obviously) the different sounds.

oh well... never thought of that... in fact I speak valenciano since I was a kid, and I TOTALLY HATED when non valenciano speakers pronounce words as "cel" (sky) or "coll" (neck) with closed vowels, when they´re obviously opened. But then I realised that only people who spoke valenciano from the very beginning can do that. But still, I don´t know how things are in Cataluña, but here in Valencia we don´t have phonetics classes to learn which vowels are open or closed. We only study it in grammar, ocassionally... usually it goes without saying, but Ingie studies phonetics as a subject!! I mean... not like a random teaching inside a subject... I mean... if you are from Cataluña you know how to pronounce words and you don´t need to study phonetics... but they, english speakers do study that...

As exemple: why "good" and "blood" don´t have the same phonetics?? :roftl::roftl:

omg, this song is AMAZING!

I love it! :mf_lustslow:

(it has been too long since I've been here! almost a month! :shocked: really have to pick up the new stuff here. *sigh* it takes so much time :aah:)

Mika, you made me come back :wub2:

Welcome back :huglove: It really is amazing.

Me and my new recruited Mika fan were listening to it at break and we couldn't stop screaming it all day :aah:

Yeah, it won't make much sense to many but the phonetic description is:

| liːv | = leave. i: is a long i. Like ie

| lIv| = Live. With a short i.

English phonetics used to be my drug :aah::teehee: Transcribing texts to phonetics only for fun :insane: I love English :wub2:

if you are from Cataluña you know how to pronounce words and you don´t need to study phonetics... but they, english speakers do study that...

I didn't have to study how to pronounce words. :roftl:

It just makes you go WTF :blink: a bit when you are 6 or 7 years old and learning how to spell. :naughty: But that was inevitable because Canadian pronunciation is so different from the British accents so even things that are spelled as they are pronounced in England do not always correspond for us. And sometimes we go the opposite direction and change the pronunciation to match the spelling. The Brits pronounce "clerk" like "clark" but our pronunciation rhymes with "perk".

On the personal taste issue that has been discussed here intensively....

I think musical taste is closely related to people’s personality and is also shaped by culture or one’s own life experience as Christine mentioned earlier. It also changes with age, so a song like the monotonous EMD that slightly resembles some children’s chant in the verses is more appealing to a younger generation, probably. Of course it is another generalisation and anyone can ’prove’ the opposite as well, like some middle-aged women loving it ( :roftl:) , but it still does not necessarily make the observation invalid. I like EMD, too, actually, especially since I can connect the music with the meaning of the song and I can conclude that it ’fits’. :teehee:

So, as soon as the lyrics come into the picture another dimension is added to people’s understanding of a song and while some may think that the line ”you can be the thunder and I can be the rain” is poetic :pinkbow: it makes others climb the walls :aah:.

We experience life and love in different ways, not to mention the way we express ourselves. Some of us are more emotive while others prefer to show less emotion to the outside world. So there is nothing wrong with people liking certain songs and others not but when most people express their concern about certain songs or elements of songs, in either the lyrics, the arrangements or the performance itself, it is a valid feedback to the artist since it does not resonate with a large part of the audience. Of course no audience is homogenous but there is some kind of common denominator that pulls them together and this shared trait can be essential in keeping his audience. Successful artists change and innovate all the time but never turn their back to their followers - and neither does Mika, it seems.

As far as the musical element is concerned, I think music is similar to language in a way that it is not a string of random notes put together but has its own rules and some people become more eloquent speakers than others. There is no way you can explain to someone why a certain way of expression works better than another one unless they have a similar level of fluency in that field or at least the openness to understand it.

So, as far as I am concerned, MFC is a platform of expression for me and I discuss things with people who are ready to listen. I don’t want to persuade anyone about my ‘truth’, I am here to read about that of others to shape my understanding.

I read this post at work but couldn't comment on it then.

Suzie, I don't think I've ever read a better summation of the way in which we interact with music and lyrics depending on our own influences :flowers2:

I didn't have to study how to pronounce words. :roftl:

It just makes you go WTF :blink: a bit when you are 6 or 7 years old and learning how to spell. :naughty: But that was inevitable because Canadian pronunciation is so different from the British accents so even things that are spelled as they are pronounced in England do not always correspond for us. And sometimes we go the opposite direction and change the pronunciation to match the spelling. The Brits pronounce "clerk" like "clark" but our pronunciation rhymes with "perk".

And Canadians can't say "about" :wink2:

Sorry about all the separate posts - I was trying to MQ all this but it was just soooooo slooooow :aah:

And that's another problem I have with that lyric - it suggests just somewhere convenient to stop - just passing through. In a love song I would expect the object of desire to be something permanent :naughty:

"Fall to my feet" still sounds wrong. You can fall on your feet, but not to them.

Sometimes I feel as if English is the foreign language Mika is trying to write in :teehee:

Sometimes I feel as if English is the foreign language Mika is trying to write in :teehee:

That's coz he speaks Englika...

It's sort of Ingsoc, from 1984, but different...

In Englika, sentences like "since i was in my braces" have a lot of sense...:mf_rosetinted: