Rumour: Mika in the jury of French "The Voice"?

Droopsy

The Voice is a fantastic programme (it's originally Dutch so yeah). The judges over here have gained tremendous attention from it, which also boosted their careers. Downside is that he will have to coach his people the entire week, so he will probably have to stay in France for the entire show.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's also retracted his opinion to some degree and his music is used on these shows even if he doesn't make an appearance himself. Artists like Queen have been mentors on American Idol and I don't think it's a sell-out at all.

I take issue with this whole concept of Mika selling out or being a whore if he promotes himself on a particular TV show or sells his music to a mobile phone company, for example. It is pop music, not a Mozart concerto. Selling and promoting as much music as you possibly can is the whole goal of pop music releases. If it was solely about art of music you wouldn't have music videos, you wouldn't have multi-billion dollar corporations funding it, artists wouldn't have PR teams and heavily edited back stories, you wouldn't have charts to measure the success or failure of a song, etc., etc.

It is no more or less art and no more or less whoring yourself whether you take money from Universal via CD sales or money from a Verizon ad or the producers of American Idol. I really don't see the difference. Pop stars are earning millions of dollars by selling millions of copies of their "art" so I don't think any of one of them possesses impeccable artistic integrity over their peers. I think the only way to judge one pop star over another is through talent alone and not the way they choose to promote themselves or earn money.

The only circumstances where I would call Mika a sell-out is if he abandoned what he felt was his best work in order to produce some shlock that he knows would chart higher because he is more interested in earning money than making music.

I would never judge him as a whore if he wants to sell his songs to other corporations or promote himself on a TV show.

oh yeah, i forgot Mika changes his mind a lot :teehee:

i don't think being a mentor on an episode or two is as bad as a being a judge for the whole season, to me it doesn't have the same "desperate/has-been/whore" stigma attached to it (though perhaps the Voice is changing that), that's why i specifically said "being a judge on those type of shows". i'm all for Mika gaining popularity by letting his songs be used in shows and ads or by being a mentor or by performing a song on that kind of show.

i'd never judge Mika as whore for selling his songs to other corporations or promoting himself on a TV show, but i'd judge anyone else for it... oops that’s hypocritical!

What you say about it being for has beens, In France, the version that's about to start here, will have Jessie J and possibly CeeLo Green as judges,so that's not the case it seems for us.

As much as I wish Mika would just concentrate on the new album next year, if he was going to do this I would hope he would do it on the UK version, to boost his profile here again.

Also Gary Barlow, was doing the Take That tour as he was doing the judging in the early heats of X Factor, Simon Cowell used to fly between here and the US to judge X Factor and AI, likewise one of the judges on Strictly Come Dancing does the same thing to judge on Dances with the Stars.

Personally, I hope Mika avoids such distractions, and focuses on the album next year, but it seems that other people do multitask.

The most famous singer in Holland is a judge on the show, along with a famous duo and another rock singer. No has beens here at all.

Is 'The Voice' something similar to X-factor?

No, because contestants are judged through blind auditions. The judges can only hear their voices.

This is the audition of the first season of the Voice of Holland:

Starts at 0.20

Then there's the battle where 2 contestants have to sing against each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsNVBrEqh8

Then live shows.

No, because contestants are judged through blind auditions. The judges can only hear their voices.

Thank you for the links and the explanation. So I guess it means no mentoring then (like they do in X factor), only participating in the live show. There may even be guest judges occasionally? In any case, I really can't see him committing himself to do this over a long period of time with his new album coming. Should this be in the US or UK though, that would be an entirely different matter. In those countries, however, he is not in a position to be asked to participate in such shows.

Thank you for the links and the explanation. So I guess it means no mentoring then (like they do in X factor), only participating in the live show. There may even be guest judges occasionally? In any case, I really can't see him committing himself to do this over a long period of time with his new album coming. Should this be in the US or UK though, that would be an entirely different matter. In those countries, however, he is not in a position to be asked to participate in such shows.

No, the final contestants are closely mentored by their coaches and the teams their coaches have put together. In the end, every coach wants to win with his/her best contestant.

It could work, the duo on the Dutch show released an album during the show and did a short arena tour. Then again, it would only be in France that this would have an impact.

No, the final contestants are closely mentored by their coaches and the teams their coaches have put together. In the end, every coach wants to win with his/her best contestant.

It could work, the duo on the Dutch show released an album during the show and did a short arena tour. Then again, it would only be in France that this would have an impact.

In "The Voice" USA, the juries ran out of contestants before completing their teams... so they ended up doing a 2nd round of auditions with the rejected contestants they had seen before :blink:

In "The Voice" USA, the juries ran out of contestants before completing their teams... so they ended up doing a 2nd round of auditions with the rejected contestants they had seen before :blink:

That is odd, well over here, every coach gets 16 contestants after the auditions are completed.

That is odd, well over here, every coach gets 16 contestants after the auditions are completed.

i don't remember how many each coach got, but they ran out of contestants before they each had their group. :dunno:

I guess they were too picky :naughty:

but it kinda put me off the show, it defeats the purpose of having your back turned to choose your team

I hope it's just a rumour:sneaky2: I understand that he needs to catch some attention as the new album is coming, but I IMO appearing in a commertial stv programme like this isn't way to do this. I think it would only get him a "desperate popstar trying to get back" label, which isn't good for an artist who actually IS an ARTIST (you know what I mean, right? :wink2:)

Except that, it would be killing me softly. I am already jealous about his potential team :aah:

i don't remember how many each coach got, but they ran out of contestants before they each had their group. :dunno:

I guess they were too picky :naughty:

but it kinda put me off the show, it defeats the purpose of having your back turned to choose your team

Leave it to those American television hobos to ruin a perfectly fine Dutch awesome concept:mf_rosetinted:

The rules for all these shows are ridiculous. :aah: I think the original Idol format was perfect. 12 boys, 12 girls. Vote 'em off one at a time until the best one is left standing. That's it!! :biggrin2:

the best one or the cutest guy? In Germany it´s everytime the same only cute guys even without talent are winning because the voting girls are more patient than the boys.

the best one or the cutest guy? In Germany it´s everytime the same only cute guys even without talent are winning because the voting girls are more patient than the boys.

In Hungary it is almost the opposite, actually.:teehee: Of course it depends on the concept of the show , the culture of the country, the audience and the willingness of certain groups of the audience to vote for the contestants, but when when the first similar talent show started here in 2003 (not a licensed one but similar to Idol) the winner was a big girl with a great voice and the runner-up a gypsy girl who has just come out to be lesbian. The winners of the second and third series were not from the cute boy/ girl category, either, and were voted for because of their talent.

I think it mainly depends on the jury and their credibility as a musician / music critique as they can influence the audience. Funnily enough, as the jury of the first 3 series were well-respected artists / journalists, the audience followed their advice with voting, whilst in the last 2 series the audience voting went against the jury as some of them were real tossers and painfully failed at even guessing if the performance was at least in tune or not...:doh:

Now we have X factor and it is all different: more professional but rather manufactured as well .. Still, the boyband was out in the 3rd round :teehee:

If "the guy" from Maroon 5 is Adam Levine then, no, I don't think he's a has-been quite yet. :roftl: Ceelo is just getting started in this incarnation as a solo artist so I don't think he qualifies either. :naughty:

I think he's also retracted his opinion to some degree and his music is used on these shows even if he doesn't make an appearance himself. Artists like Queen have been mentors on American Idol and I don't think it's a sell-out at all.

I take issue with this whole concept of Mika selling out or being a whore if he promotes himself on a particular TV show or sells his music to a mobile phone company, for example. It is pop music, not a Mozart concerto. Selling and promoting as much music as you possibly can is the whole goal of pop music releases. If it was solely about art of music you wouldn't have music videos, you wouldn't have multi-billion dollar corporations funding it, artists wouldn't have PR teams and heavily edited back stories, you wouldn't have charts to measure the success or failure of a song, etc., etc.

It is no more or less art and no more or less whoring yourself whether you take money from Universal via CD sales or money from a Verizon ad or the producers of American Idol. I really don't see the difference. Pop stars are earning millions of dollars by selling millions of copies of their "art" so I don't think any of one of them possesses impeccable artistic integrity over their peers. I think the only way to judge one pop star over another is through talent alone and not the way they choose to promote themselves or earn money.

The only circumstances where I would call Mika a sell-out is if he abandoned what he felt was his best work in order to produce some shlock that he knows would chart higher because he is more interested in earning money than making music.

I would never judge him as a whore if he wants to sell his songs to other corporations or promote himself on a TV show.

I don't see it as selling out either. If he was judging on X Factor, or the UK version of The Voice, I'd be thrilled because it would up his profile here again, and people would get to hear his speaking voice, which is as spine-tingling as his singing voice.

I'd also be happy if he was doing something like this in America or Canada, as it would up his profile on that side of the world where he needs the exposure.

But France already love him! It's like preaching to the converted if he does something else over there. It's not going to help him in the UK. I'd much sooner he forget about France for a while and concentrate on his album, so that UK peeps and USA etc can realise he's still around and kicking ass.

I don't see it as selling out either. If he was judging on X Factor, or the UK version of The Voice, I'd be thrilled because it would up his profile here again, and people would get to hear his speaking voice, which is as spine-tingling as his singing voice.

I'd also be happy if he was doing something like this in America or Canada, as it would up his profile on that side of the world where he needs the exposure.

But France already love him! It's like preaching to the converted if he does something else over there. It's not going to help him in the UK. I'd much sooner he forget about France for a while and concentrate on his album, so that UK peeps and USA etc can realise he's still around and kicking ass.

:mf_lustslow::thumb_yello:

In Hungary it is almost the opposite, actually.:teehee: Of course it depends on the concept of the show , the culture of the country, the audience and the willingness of certain groups of the audience to vote for the contestants, but when when the first similar talent show started here in 2003 (not a licensed one but similar to Idol) the winner was a big girl with a great voice and the runner-up a gypsy girl who has just come out to be lesbian. The winners of the second and third series were not from the cute boy/ girl category, either, and were voted for because of their talent.

I think it mainly depends on the jury and their credibility as a musician / music critique as they can influence the audience. Funnily enough, as the jury of the first 3 series were well-respected artists / journalists, the audience followed their advice with voting, whilst in the last 2 series the audience voting went against the jury as some of them were real tossers and painfully failed at even guessing if the performance was at least in tune or not...:doh:

Now we have X factor and it is all different: more professional but rather manufactured as well .. Still, the boyband was out in the 3rd round :teehee:

yeah, that's the problem here... on german idol, we have dieter bohlen (former member of "modern talking"), he kinda stands for this format here. maybe he does manage to influence the audience, but i think they WANT the cute guys to win. someone they can make their puppet for a few months so they will earn them a lot of money (in fact, the first song by each idol winner always goes to number one in the german charts, though i hardly ever hear it on the radio...). then they disappear again, and the next idol show comes on.

actually i liked x factor better here (though tbh i don't actually watch any of these casting shows, just a few minutes here and there while zapping through the programs), the 2nd place made a girl band, all of which members were big girls. ok imo they should've won, but i think on german idol, they wouldn't even have come that far, although they were incredibly talented.

edit: and about the topic here, i can't see mika as more than a guest jury member on such a show atm (like the one he did in italy) - he should concentrate on his album & promotion for it, instead of sitting in a jury for months. in the german shows, the jury members also are just people who have nothing better to do atm, and not someone who has just released an album (or is about to do so). plus, to each of those shows there is ONE jury member you connect with it (dieter bohlen for idol, sarah connor for x factor), and - at least from what i think - the other jury members are replaceable people that hardly anyone remembers afterwards. so in germany i think it wouldn't even help for promotion. :dunno:

yeah, that's the problem here... on german idol, we have dieter bohlen (former member of "modern talking"), he kinda stands for this format here. maybe he does manage to influence the audience, but i think they WANT the cute guys to win. someone they can make their puppet for a few months so they will earn them a lot of money (in fact, the first song by each idol winner always goes to number one in the german charts, though i hardly ever hear it on the radio...). then they disappear again, and the next idol show comes on.

actually i liked x factor better here (though tbh i don't actually watch any of these casting shows, just a few minutes here and there while zapping through the programs), the 2nd place made a girl band, all of which members were big girls. ok imo they should've won, but i think on german idol, they wouldn't even have come that far, although they were incredibly talented.

You have to watch parts of the next Idol in Germany because a member of MFC got through the castings very long. After he is out I won´t watch it.

You have to watch parts of the next Idol in Germany because a member of MFC got through the castings very long. After he is out I won´t watch it.

i know, and of course i'll watch it because of bubbles! :biggrin2:

i know, and of course i'll watch it because of bubbles! :biggrin2:

Yaaay my babeh!

They eliminated him for being too 'original' and having too much of his own persona. Apparently he took away the attention of all the others. Shows that Idol only wants people they can mold into their product.

Is there going to be a Voice of Germany? If so, Bubbah should definitely enter!:wub2:

Yaaay my babeh!

They eliminated him for being too 'original' and having too much of his own persona. Apparently he took away the attention of all the others. Shows that Idol only wants people they can mold into their product.

Is there going to be a Voice of Germany? If so, Bubbah should definitely enter!:wub2:

This just proves my point about the whole concept!

When it originally started , it was supposed to be looking for talented people, who had that special element which would make them stars, which Bubbles has in spades.

But as it's gone along, it's just turned into a conveyor belt of clones made in the image of what Simon Cowell wants them to be. And I don't think that is necessarily good for the music business in general, as he is just churning out bland generic acts.

Yaaay my babeh!

Maybe Bubbles took away too much attention of Dieter Bohlen who is an selfish arrogant a..hole and needs to be the middle of the world.

Archived