"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

Translation :wink2:

Mika is still the same. He promises it. 'The Origin of Love', to be released on September 17, initiates a change of direction for the singer of 'Relax' though. Today at lunch time, in a trendy café in St Germain, the singer had invited programme planners and journalists to listen to his 3rd album. 9 songs. Not all finished.

The song that opens the album gives its name to it. 'The Origin of Love', written in Montreal a year and a half ago when Mika started. A very electro dance title, without a real chorus but with surprising bridges. We are far from the pop songs from LICM but the production is remarkable. Perfect introduction, the title makes 'cigarette' and 'nicorette' rhyme with the vocoded voice of Mika, who offered himself the services of Empire of the Sun for the production.

The following title is 'Celebrate', launched on the radio today, which could have the same destiny as EMD did last Summer. Produced with the complicity of Pharrell Williams, this dance/disco title is ultra effective but will unsettle the admirers of the nice piano melodies of the Francophile man.

The two following titles won't reassure them much more. Mika yields to the electro trend with the exhilarating 'Overrated', cut out for the clubs, the explosive 'Stardust' or the dark and nebulous 'Make You Happy' already revealed. In all these songs, Mika worked with real musicians, no computers. The production was made only after recording, he swore.

We have to wait for 'Underwater' in order to hear some piano again. This title is a caesura in the album and opens the way to a more 'pop' second part. "Cause all I need is the love you breathe. Put your lips on me, and I can live underwater" sings the young Lebanese man in a quite catchy song. (I corrected their lyrics which looked strange) Much more pop, 'Lola' is the 6th title. A true hit. A potential single which will please - this time - Mika fans. A title written and produced in less than 4 hours as the singer told us. A beautiful ballad with a catchy introduction where hand clapping and choirs are mixed.

The two following titles also caught our attention. 'Step With Me' in which Mika asks himself some questions and answers to himself in a genius game of opposition between back vocals and vocals. 'Step 1 Step 2 Step 3' he counts in a title based on a guitar melody.

'Popular' closes the album. Another hit. Amazing title where we find a feminine voice, allusion to his first album. 'Cause my song is popular' he chants on a lively piano rhythm. He is a popular, pop, general public artist. His wealth is that he has ingested 50 years of the history of pop music. Only the 3 French titles including EMD which will probably be on a second disc are missing. Mika is going one step forward, half-opens a door on the dancefloor without throwing himself wholeheartedly in it. It's in the bag (lol I don't know the exact translation, it means literally 'won bet')

thank you.looking forward to the studioversion of underwater then.

what are the 3 french songs??

Karen , EMD and ?:blink:

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds

Checking mixes and starting artwork today (alongside paying my long forgotten electricity bill) from the good to the banal

19m

I´ve tested both songs with my son. I mean... While he was absentminded, I played MYH. At the third time, he started to sing along. When I played Celebrate, he didn´t sing along until the fourth time.

:mf_rosetinted:

This is very cientific :mf_rosetinted:

Son is a good tester for pop-songs. He loves Lollipop and Kick Ass (the more catchy songs) but he hates Mika.:mf_rosetinted: Please, don´t tell him that these two songs are Mika´s, k?? Thanks.

I´ve tested both songs with my son. I mean... While he was absentminded, I played MYH. At the third time, he started to sing along. When I played Celebrate, he didn´t sing along until the fourth time.

Son is a good tester for pop-songs. He loves Lollipop and Kick Ass (the more catchy songs) but he hates Mika.:mf_rosetinted: Please, don´t tell him that these two songs are Mika´s, k?? Thanks.

Thats funny i did the same with my daughter (3,5 years old) :D I was wondering if she will recognise Mika. And she did!

When he was on nrj the other days and he began to speak she immediatly says "it's Mika"(we were preparing for school)!!

In the car when we listen to him she always say's to me "mum i would like to go in Mika's house":teehee:

her favorites are Love today and Kick ass, but she already sings bits of Celebrate chorus with her cute fgrench accent. I'm a proud mum, such a good taste she has:wub2:

Thats funny i did the same with my daughter (3,5 years old) :D I was wondering if she will recognise Mika. And she did!

When he was on nrj the other days and he began to speak she immediatly says "it's Mika"(we were preparing for school)!!

In the car when we listen to him she always say's to me "mum i would like to go in Mika's house":teehee:

her favorites are Love today and Kick ass, but she already sings bits of Celebrate chorus with her cute fgrench accent. I'm a proud mum, such a good taste she has:wub2:

My niece [2,3 years old] loves Lollipop and Love today! She likes to dance with me =D I haven't tried with all Mika songs, tho; and I'm not sure if she dances cause she likes Mika, or cause she likes music or cause she's crazy and love doing a mess :sweatdrop:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but is Mika planning to release an EP before The Origin Of Love? I've read it on a few sites (it's the same article, just different sites and I don't know which one posted it originally. For example here) and I'm a bit confused now.. Have I missed something? Do we know something more about this EP? Or was it some kind of misunderstanding? :blink:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but is Mika planning to release an EP before The Origin Of Love? I've read it on a few sites (it's the same article, just different sites and I don't know which one posted it originally. For example here) and I'm a bit confused now.. Have I missed something? Do we know something more about this EP? Or was it some kind of misunderstanding? :blink:

yes,I think is possible to release an EP,because he already finished few songs,and he said that will be 12 songs in the album(I think more than 12 songs he has done).So I think he probably release an EP before the new album like in 2009.

Interview : Cherie FM. fr

http://www.cheriefm.fr/videos-3833/toutes-les-videos-3834/media/video/578053-mika-dans-cet-album-je-parle-des-femmes-des-hommes-et-de-mes-huit-meres-.html

MIKA : "DANS CET ALBUM JE PARLE DES FEMMES, DES HOMMES ET DE MES HUIT MÈRES..."

MIKA: "IN THIS ALBUM I SPEAK OF THE WOMEN, THE MEN AND MY EIGHT MOTHERS..."

http://www.cheriefm.fr/videos-3833/toutes-les-videos-3834/media/video/578053-mika-dans-cet-album-je-parle-des-femmes-des-hommes-et-de-mes-huit-meres-.html

thank youuuu!!! :wub2:

D/L link: http://www.mediafire.com/?v5b1vn1999fb0cl

Again depending on kindness of our French friends.:blush-anim-cl: Oh, Mika...:doh:

EDIT: It's a pure fangurling vid. I was like ...

:fangurl::fangurl:blablablablabla aha blablabla oh he said something about a friend :fangurl: :fangurl:blablablabla aha blablabla oh he said something about room :fangurl::fangurl:blablabla :swoon::swoon::swoon:

He looks so calm.

Edited by nenartus

Thanks Kumazzz. :flowers2: Does someone want to make a separate thread for this interview in the news section?

My French is terrible and I don't have time to listen to it again but I think he is talking about Celebrate (I think?) being about a break up? And it sounds like he mentions the name of another French song (unless this is just a preamble to his discussion of Karen). He talks about his sisters and his aunts and his grandmother and everyone making up 12 (?) mothers. And I think he is saying that the album is from the perspective of a man and not a child or a teen.

But...err...we need someone who really understands French to translate. :aah:

Thanks Kumazzz. :flowers2:Does someone want to make a separate thread for this interview in the news section?

My French is terrible and I don't have time to listen to it again but I think he is talking about Celebrate (I think?) being about a break up? And it sounds like he mentions the name of another French song (unless this is just a preamble to his discussion of Karen). He talks about his sisters and his aunts and his grandmother and everyone making up 12 (?) mothers. And I think he is saying that the album is from the perspective of a man and not a child or a teen.

But...err...we need someone who really understands French to translate. :aah:

here you are :thumb_yello:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26958

I know it's just a style mag :naughty: but anyways :naughty:

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/celebrity/pictures-today/2012/06/19/mika-dita-von-teese-leave-arts-club-london

Dita Von Teese once again left boyfriend Theo Hutchcraft at home to hit the town with squeaky pop star Mika instead. The pair hit the Arts Club in London for a fun-filled evening, before leaving together later that night. Mika recently announced that he is releasing a new single, Celebrate, on 9 Septmeber 2012, which will be a collaboration with Pharrell Williams.

]Mika recently announced that he is releasing a new single, Celebrate, on 9 Septmeber 2012[/b], which will be a collaboration with Pharrell Williams.

Only? I really believed he'd release this single for the Summer Olympics, starting the promo campaing the day before, at Heaven. It would have helped the song pick up.

My French is terrible and I don't have time to listen to it again but I think he is talking about Celebrate (I think?) being about a break up?

I am seriously self-deprived by now but I think this song is about mny things at the same time, the core theme being his return. His return to his family, his lover, the place he grew up, the pop world with the new album and the charts - hopefully :teehee:

Another level of interprettion for others could have been a sportman's return to the games after some tough time and / or the hardships of training, achieving victory in the end. It seems he can't make use of the Olympics theme though if it is released later....

A little interview, but there's really not much new info unfortunately...

edit: wait, does he really say he hates kick-ass?? :aah: Maybe this is old news already, I didn't know it yet :lmfao:

--------------

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/news-80337.html

Mika : mon prochain album ? "De l'amour, de la tolérance et de la joie"

Mika is back. Un an après avoir fait danser la France avec "Elle me dit", le chanteur d'origine libanaise vient de dévoiler deux titres de son prochain album "The Origin Of Love" à paraitre le 17 septembre prochain. Deux morceaux qui laissent présager une nouvelle sonorité électro-dance. Virage ou pas ? Comment a-t-il travaillé ? Pourquoi Pharrell Williams sur "Celebrate" ? Pure Charts a rencontré MIKA qui lève le voile sur son troisième opus.

"The Origin Of Love" est le morceau qui ouvre et qui donne son nom à votre troisième et prochain album (lire notre critique)… Un titre très produit, électro-dance, à l'opposé de "Relax" ou "Rain" et qui donne un peu le ton de ce disque. (Steven Bellery, journaliste)

MIKA : C'est le premier titre. Il présente le thème et le son de cet album. J'écoute énormément de musiques différentes. J'adore écouter de la musique sans les barrières, sans les frontières. Du jazz au classique. Alors je me suis dit pourquoi pas faire un album qui utilise un côté de la musique électro. J'avais en tête comme références la musique des années 60 quand les instruments électro ont fait leur apparition. Et en même temps la musique des années 80, la bande originale de Blade Runner, la house française et plus récent Daft Punk.

Une électro à la sauce Mika donc… La semaine dernière, vous dévoiliez "Celebrate", votre nouveau single qui succède à "Elle me dit". Un titre produit avec Pharrell Williams. C'est tout de même très différent de vos anciens titres…

Je voulais faire de la musique avec un côté électro mais avec beaucoup de chœurs. Je ne voulais pas quelque chose de fait sur un ordinateur. Sur "The Origin Of Love" ou "Celebrate", tout est vrai. C'est moi et des musiciens dans un studio en train de jouer. Et après on fait de la post-production, on découpe tous les morceaux pour les programmer. Mais tous les ingrédients sont acoustiques. C'était la manière de donner du cœur à quelque chose qui a tendance des fois à être trop froid, trop machine…

On sent à l'écoute de votre album (qu'on découvrira en septembre) que vous avez digéré une grande partie des cinquante années de l'histoire de la pop… D'ailleurs, la seconde partie du disque est clairement pop et pas électro, c'est plus du Mika que l'on connaît…

Le but de cet album c'était de parler de l'amour, de la tolérance et de la joie. Je voulais aussi représenter ce que je suis comme fan de musique. J'écoute de la musique depuis l'enfance sans savoir ce que c'est. A Paris, j'écoutais Gainsbourg, Moustaki, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, du reggae… Je ne sais pas ce que je fais la plupart du temps, je fais des chansons qui me plaisent, qui me font sourire, qui me font pleurer…

Vous avez tout de même travaillé différemment que pour "The Boy Who Knew Too Much"

Cette fois-ci c'était complètement l'inverse oui. Le dernier album j'avais travaillé seul au piano. Cette fois-ci, j'ai écrit et produit en même temps.

Est-ce qu'on peut parler de virage alors ?

C'est complètement dans la continuité. C'est sincère. C'est pas un virage même s'il y a beaucoup de développements. Je ne me suis pas dit tiens je vais faire un album avec Timberland, je vais lui donner 500.000 dollars et hop. Je n'avais aucune intention de faire cela. On me dit alors, pourquoi ne pas travailler avec RedOne ? J'ai répondu "j'ai déjà fait un titre avec lui et j'ai détesté ce titre"… J'aime bien ce qu'il fait pour Lady GaGa mais ça n'était pas pour moi. Je n'allais pas acheter un son !

Vous avez tout de même appelé Pharrell Williams pour "Celebrate" ?

Je voulais travailler avec lui sur le deuxième album. Je l'ai contacté. Il m'a dit OK c'est 100.000 dollars. Tu m'envoies 50.000 avant qu'on commence et 50.000 quand on a fini. J'ai répondu par fax au management, j'ai écrit : "Is this a joke ?" (est-ce que c'est une blague ?, NDLR). Cette fois-ci, on a travaillé ensemble sur deux titres. Aucun contrat. Pas d'échange d'argent, pas de règles. Absolument zéro problème. Il était complètement cool, il a compris que je voulais sa musicalité pas son nom. Je voulais juste m'amuser avec lui.

--Steven BELLERY

Edited by Droopsy

A little interview, but there's really not much new info unfortunately...

edit: wait, does he really say he hates kick-ass?? :aah: Maybe this is old news already, I didn't know it yet :lmfao:

--------------

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/news-80337.html

Mika : mon prochain album ? "De l'amour, de la tolérance et de la joie"

Mika is back. Un an après avoir fait danser la France avec "Elle me dit", le chanteur d'origine libanaise vient de dévoiler deux titres de son prochain album "The Origin Of Love" à paraitre le 17 septembre prochain. Deux morceaux qui laissent présager une nouvelle sonorité électro-dance. Virage ou pas ? Comment a-t-il travaillé ? Pourquoi Pharrell Williams sur "Celebrate" ? Pure Charts a rencontré MIKA qui lève le voile sur son troisième opus.

"The Origin Of Love" est le morceau qui ouvre et qui donne son nom à votre troisième et prochain album (lire notre critique)… Un titre très produit, électro-dance, à l'opposé de "Relax" ou "Rain" et qui donne un peu le ton de ce disque. (Steven Bellery, journaliste)

MIKA : C'est le premier titre. Il présente le thème et le son de cet album. J'écoute énormément de musiques différentes. J'adore écouter de la musique sans les barrières, sans les frontières. Du jazz au classique. Alors je me suis dit pourquoi pas faire un album qui utilise un côté de la musique électro. J'avais en tête comme références la musique des années 60 quand les instruments électro ont fait leur apparition. Et en même temps la musique des années 80, la bande originale de Blade Runner, la house française et plus récent Daft Punk.

Une électro à la sauce Mika donc… La semaine dernière, vous dévoiliez "Celebrate", votre nouveau single qui succède à "Elle me dit". Un titre produit avec Pharrell Williams. C'est tout de même très différent de vos anciens titres…

Je voulais faire de la musique avec un côté électro mais avec beaucoup de chœurs. Je ne voulais pas quelque chose de fait sur un ordinateur. Sur "The Origin Of Love" ou "Celebrate", tout est vrai. C'est moi et des musiciens dans un studio en train de jouer. Et après on fait de la post-production, on découpe tous les morceaux pour les programmer. Mais tous les ingrédients sont acoustiques. C'était la manière de donner du cœur à quelque chose qui a tendance des fois à être trop froid, trop machine…

On sent à l'écoute de votre album (qu'on découvrira en septembre) que vous avez digéré une grande partie des cinquante années de l'histoire de la pop… D'ailleurs, la seconde partie du disque est clairement pop et pas électro, c'est plus du Mika que l'on connaît…

Le but de cet album c'était de parler de l'amour, de la tolérance et de la joie. Je voulais aussi représenter ce que je suis comme fan de musique. J'écoute de la musique depuis l'enfance sans savoir ce que c'est. A Paris, j'écoutais Gainsbourg, Moustaki, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, du reggae… Je ne sais pas ce que je fais la plupart du temps, je fais des chansons qui me plaisent, qui me font sourire, qui me font pleurer…

Vous avez tout de même travaillé différemment que pour "The Boy Who Knew Too Much"

Cette fois-ci c'était complètement l'inverse oui. Le dernier album j'avais travaillé seul au piano. Cette fois-ci, j'ai écrit et produit en même temps.

Est-ce qu'on peut parler de virage alors ?

C'est complètement dans la continuité. C'est sincère. C'est pas un virage même s'il y a beaucoup de développements. Je ne me suis pas dit tiens je vais faire un album avec Timberland, je vais lui donner 500.000 dollars et hop. Je n'avais aucune intention de faire cela. On me dit alors, pourquoi ne pas travailler avec RedOne ? J'ai répondu "j'ai déjà fait un titre avec lui et j'ai détesté ce titre"… J'aime bien ce qu'il fait pour Lady GaGa mais ça n'était pas pour moi. Je n'allais pas acheter un son !

Vous avez tout de même appelé Pharrell Williams pour "Celebrate" ?

Je voulais travailler avec lui sur le deuxième album. Je l'ai contacté. Il m'a dit OK c'est 100.000 dollars. Tu m'envoies 50.000 avant qu'on commence et 50.000 quand on a fini. J'ai répondu par fax au management, j'ai écrit : "Is this a joke ?" (est-ce que c'est une blague ?, NDLR). Cette fois-ci, on a travaillé ensemble sur deux titres. Aucun contrat. Pas d'échange d'argent, pas de règles. Absolument zéro problème. Il était complètement cool, il a compris que je voulais sa musicalité pas son nom. Je voulais juste m'amuser avec lui.

--Steven BELLERY

He says he dislikes the Kick Ass song!

First time he's ever said that!