Mika at NRJ Music Awards 2012 - 28/1/2012

Miro

Yes mary, I agree, the "playback" bothered me a great deal. Mostly because Mika doesn't need it and I hate how this looks like to the general public.

Yes a lot of people are complaining about it (fans or not)

I don't see this as playback, he did the same as at some gigs, keeping the vocals that go 'elle me dit c'est ta vie...' behind while he sings 'danse danse danse'.. But I understand that if you don't know Mika very well you could think it's playback. The verses were sung wonderfully; it's easy to think it's the original. (EDIT:when I say you I don't mean you Mary; I think you know Mika quite well and probably much better than me :roftl:)

About the dance.. Mika doing the dance is ok IMO; but the dancers with him...:roftl:

It was though, I saw it on tv in HD as well. :dunno: So it wasn't the crap internet quality that made me think that. His lips weren't in tune with the singing at all, and all I could hear was the back track. Normally you hear it all the time during these shows BUT you hear Mika singing above it. Not this time.

To me it started when the background singers joined. It all of a sudden seemed like Mika's sound fell away or something and you only heard the track :dunno: I dunno, I think it was something technical, the microphone or his ears. Or the backtrack was way too loud, I don't know what it was. Nothing was in tune. It was very weird.

Yes mary, I agree, the "playback" bothered me a great deal. Mostly because Mika doesn't need it and I hate how this looks like to the general public.

It was though, I saw it on tv in HD as well. :dunno: So it wasn't the crap internet quality that made me think that. His lips weren't in tune with the singing at all, and all I could hear was the back track. Normally you hear it all the time during these shows BUT you hear Mika singing above it. Not this time.

To me it started when the background singers joined. It all of a sudden seemed like Mika's sound fell away or something and you only heard the track :dunno: I dunno, I think it was something technical, the microphone or his ears. Or the backtrack was way too loud, I don't know what it was. Nothing was in tune. It was very weird.

Exactly! And when you see other artists singing 100% live at the same ceremony, it gets even more annoying!

i'm sorry guys.i just have a question.does any one have the part that Mika was talking to the host,before he performed the Elle me dit? did anyone record it?:teehee:

i mean this part:

awards.jpg

Yes I think I recorded it. If nobody uploads it in a few days I'll do it. But my recorder is so slow I prefer not to :roftl:

i'm sorry guys.i just have a question.does any one have the part that Mika was talking to the host,before he performed the Elle me dit? did anyone record it?:teehee:

I've been looking for it to see if there was anything worth translating too, but haven't found it yet; and the whole show takes ages to load..

Yes the ending when he was at the front was the problem. I agree. I thought it was still Mika's voice that we could hear singing 'danse' but now I have doubts.

Exactly! And when you see other artists singing 100% live at the same ceremony, it gets even more annoying!

Yes it's really a shame. There was a bit of everything during the show : 100% live, 100% playback and there was Shy'm (and Mika?) who did 50% 50%

ahh..I sometimes forget during elle me dit that the lyrics are pretty dramatic. (because I don't understand french)....with Mika's songs it's always like my face is serious but my body wants to dance...it is like that with me at his gigs....cause I listen to him ...and the lyrics are serious...so I'm not smiling....but my body dances...

(but sometimes if you're strong enough you can use this anger...and help yourself...but first you have to change sadness into anger...I remember once I was so furious at my mother and my brother that it actually helped me to help myself...it was like I'm the only one who could help myself so I grabbed my hair and dragged myself out in spite of drawning...but I don't wanna get into details....I can count on them...but in this one thing I suppose they were too scared, surprised and helpless...they really didn't know what to do...)

Edited by Melisanda

ps. but I still don't get one thing....why was releasing EMD such risk??? I think...people, listeners just like the song or don't like it....they don't care that much if there's an album behind it or it's just a single song...??

I don't understand why he keeps saying that either. It discredits the song. :dunno: I suppose he was just self conscious about releasing a single in French for the first time. He really didn't promote it and it could have just gone unnoticed like Kick Ass did and there was a chance it could have gone down in history as his first French single that flopped in France.

But the worst thing for me was the playback (or the partial playback, don't know). It sounded weird. :dunno:

Yes oh dear it was not good. :aah: Especially as someone said not all the performers were using heavy playback. I really enjoyed Christophe Mae's performance and Seal is flawless as always.

I don't see this as playback, he did the same as at some gigs, keeping the vocals that go 'elle me dit c'est ta vie...' behind while he sings 'danse danse danse'.. But I understand that if you don't know Mika very well you could think it's playback.

That IS playback and he shouldn't do it IMO. I know it can be tricky dealing with TV shows. I saw him once and he didn't have the band with him (it was just Mika and some dancers) so he had to rely on the recording for the music and backing vocals. But he shouldn't be doing that at a gig. I know he uses layered vocals in songs like EMD and One Foot Boy but that's what backing singers are for. :dunno: You wouldn't see someone like Prince or even Justin Timberlake using playback to flesh out the vocals. They use backing singers.

I mean if he didn't care what people thought then whatever, but that critic in LA accused him of keeping the whole gig on hard drive to be played back and he (and his management and Greg Wells) went nuts. Why open yourself up to this criticism? It's not worth it.

In my opinion, it seems that the dance was choreographed by someone else... I got the feeling it had nothing to do with Mika, he was just doing as he was told :dunno::teehee:

I think a lot of Mika's moves since 2009 have been choreographed by someone else. In the early days he just used to sort of jump around. :teehee: I like some of them though so I'm not criticizing. :naughty:

Well I pray that these dancers are an NRJ thing as you say, and that Mika has not hired them for an hypothetical next tour :teehee:

Indeed. :aah:

And iMMa, is it me or we couldn't hear her very well either? Her voice usually stands out in the "Danse danse danse" bit... :dunno:

I noticed you couldn't hear her at all. :aah: I don't think the playback went off as intended.

Yes it's really a shame. There was a bit of everything during the show : 100% live, 100% playback and there was Shy'm (and Mika?) who did 50% 50%

Yes I noticed that about Shy'm too. It's a shame because I got the impression she is a decent singer.

I don't understand why he keeps saying that either. It discredits the song. :dunno: I suppose he was just self conscious about releasing a single in French for the first time. He really didn't promote it and it could have just gone unnoticed like Kick Ass did and there was a chance it could have gone down in history as his first French single that flopped in France.

Yes oh dear it was not good. :aah: Especially as someone said not all the performers were using heavy playback. I really enjoyed Christophe Mae's performance and Seal is flawless as always.

That IS playback and he shouldn't do it IMO. I know it can be tricky dealing with TV shows. I saw him once and he didn't have the band with him (it was just Mika and some dancers) so he had to rely on the recording for the music and backing vocals. But he shouldn't be doing that at a gig. I know he uses layered vocals in songs like EMD and One Foot Boy but that's what backing singers are for. :dunno: You wouldn't see someone like Prince or even Justin Timberlake using playback to flesh out the vocals. They use backing singers.

I mean if he didn't care what people thought then whatever, but that critic in LA accused him of keeping the whole gig on hard drive to be played back and he (and his management and Greg Wells) went nuts. Why open yourself up to this criticism? It's not worth it.

I think a lot of Mika's moves since 2009 have been choreographed by someone else. In the early days he just used to sort of jump around. :teehee: I like some of them though so I'm not criticizing. :naughty:

Indeed. :aah:

I noticed you couldn't hear her at all. :aah: I don't think the playback went off as intended.

Yes I noticed that about Shy'm too. It's a shame because I got the impression she is a decent singer.

It's not since that long ago that you can hear singers sing LIVE on French TV. (apart from Taratata) Lots of shows I was watching as a kids were only playback. Might seemed strange from outsiders:wink2:

His dancing is still kind of jumping so it looks natural even if there are choreographed moves behind, and I love his style. He is a bit clumsy in a positive way (it's quite adorable :teehee:) When he is doing simple moves synchronized with back dancers it's just different. I mean it's cute when we see it once, but I want his jumping back :roftl:

It's not since that long ago that you can hear singers sing LIVE on French TV. (apart from Taratata) Lots of shows I was watching as a kids were only playback. Might seemed strange from outsiders:wink2:

A lot of English TV shows used playback when I was a kid too. But it's really not acceptable anymore. If someone (Britney Spears I'm looking at you :mf_rosetinted:) uses playback now it is assumed that they can't sing. When you've got Seal and Christophe Mae giving 100% real performances on the same TV show it looks dodgy.

Maybe this has not much to do in this thread, but I just watched Any Other World from the Olympia gig. I miss this kind of performances (this is so contrasting with EMD yesterday) and I miss him playing the piano. It's what struck me the most last summer.

yes maybe

I honestly have to say I didn't know "kick ass" went unnoticed. I personally loved this song (but I didn't like the movie...maybe I liked this little girl a bit and some details but I didn't like the movie)

but kick ass was promoted, right? maybe it wasn't played on the radio very often ? and elle me dit was. I remember Mika saying sth like "let's take it directly to the radio and we'll see"

so I guess it was the radio!!! Like I said- have many friendly radio dj's;-)))) of course to me the song itself is worth playing and loving. it is very original song to me. and many people loved it. (but "kick ass" was great tooo)

changing the subject a bit....

He deserves all 3 awards (I should check the other's people's songs and clips properly) but from what I've seen.. I think Elle me dit was the most original song and should win the best song and video!!!

but the prize for the best international male was really great cause He truly is an International star

(but not to get overexcited about prizes....they're nice but they're just....prizes....some great artists don't get prizes...some not so great get them.....)

Maybe this has not much to do in this thread, but I just watched Any Other World from the Olympia gig. I miss this kind of performances (this is so contrasting with EMD yesterday) and I miss him playing the piano. It's what struck me the most last summer.

I always miss Any Other World if he skips it at a gig. It's such a great song live and brings me right back to 2007. Relax is the same, although fortunately he does it at every gig!

Congratulations Mika!!! :king: It's been a while since he last received an award, this is a good start of the year for him :thumb_yello: hopefully there'll be lots of other awards in this year once the new album's released.

Thank you to all who posted pics and videos from the ceremony, loved all of them :biggrin2: though I must say I'm a bit sorry he has that hipster hairdo again. :biggrin2:

ahhhhhaahaaaaa ...just a diggresion....excuse me...I had a flash back memory reading posts....last night when I was sleeping I had a dream...Mika was in a bus? or sth like that and I was there...and there were other people there ...like his friends...and my friends....and I don't remember exactly why but suddenly he started to sing a capella...and it was wonderful;-) ....and I remembe exactly what he sang ...he sang "blame it on the weather", "one foot boy" and "touches you" that's all. that 3 songs. end of story. thank you for your attention:-)))))

Edited by Melisanda

ahhhhhaahaaaaa ...just a diggresion....excuse me...I had a flash back memory reading posts....last night when I was sleeping I had a dream...Mika was in a bus? or sth like that and I was there...and there were other people there ...like his friends...and my friends....and I don't remember exactly why but suddenly he started to sing a capella...and it was wonderful;-) ....and I remembe exactly what he sang ...he sang "blame it on the weather", "one foot boy" and "touches you" that's all. that 3 songs. end of story. thank you for your attention:-)))))

nahce - impromptu concert in a bus!:thumb_yello:

:aah: you should post this in the dream thread...:teehee:

nahce - impromptu concert in a bus!:thumb_yello:

:aah: you should post this in the dream thread...:teehee:

hahahaaa, I've never posted anything in the dream thread;-))

I remember I especially liked that he sang "blame it on the weather" just by himself;-) the whole song...;-) and people were like busy doing other things..it was like I was the only one who noticed that he was singing

(and I remember we were at the back of this bus...and people were mostly standing there...like at the party, talking...and maybe drinking....but it was definitely a vehicle...a bus...and it was moving....)

Edited by Melisanda

yes maybe

I honestly have to say I didn't know "kick ass" went unnoticed. I personally loved this song (but I didn't like the movie...maybe I liked this little girl a bit and some details but I didn't like the movie)

but kick ass was promoted, right? maybe it wasn't played on the radio very often ? and elle me dit was. I remember Mika saying sth like "let's take it directly to the radio and we'll see"

so I guess it was the radio!!! Like I said- have many friendly radio dj's;-)))) of course to me the song itself is worth playing and loving. it is very original song to me. and many people loved it. (but "kick ass" was great tooo)

changing the subject a bit....

He deserves all 3 awards (I should check the other's people's songs and clips properly) but from what I've seen.. I think Elle me dit was the most original song and should win the best song and video!!!

but the prize for the best international male was really great cause He truly is an International star

(but not to get overexcited about prizes....they're nice but they're just....prizes....some great artists don't get prizes...some not so great get them.....)

I was really disappointed about Kick-Ass. When I knew he was releasing the theme song to a big movie, I thought it would be like when Muse had a song in Twilight and it got them known in America. I could see great things coming out of the Kick-Ass single for Mika.

But Radio One never played it, neither did other radio stations, so no one who wasn't already a Mika fan, knew the song existed so it never got into the high charts. Another blow, as far as I was concerned, was that the song wasn't first in the credits, but second, when everyone had gone home, or when it went to DVD, people had turned off their players before the song started. The song was also never used to advertise the movie. It's like the song didn't exist and I had to wonder why Mika was asked to write a song, if the song wasn't going to be used to it's best effect.

I can't read Mika's mind, but in my opinion, I think the faliure of KA might have been a cruel blow for Mika and might have been the thing that made him nervous about releasing EMD. He certainly didn't chance putting it out in the UK and risking another faliure in the UK charts. In a way, I don't blame him for sticking with France for a while. But I really think he could do really well again in the UK. He just needs proper promotion, and for Radio One to get behind him again. I hope this will be the case. I badly want him on top in the UK once more.

hahahaaa, I've never posted anything in the dream thread;-))

I remember I especially liked that he sang "blame it on the weather" just by himself;-) the whole song...;-) and people were like busy doing other things..it was like I was the only one who noticed that he was singing

(and I remember we were at the back of this bus...and people were mostly standing there...like at the party, talking...and maybe drinking....but it was definitely a vehicle...a bus...and it was moving....)

aww..maybe he was singing just for you..:wub2:

I was really disappointed about Kick-Ass. When I knew he was releasing the theme song to a big movie, I thought it would be like when Muse had a song in Twilight and it got them known in America. I could see great things coming out of the Kick-Ass single for Mika.

But Radio One never played it, neither did other radio stations, so no one who wasn't already a Mika fan, knew the song existed so it never got into the high charts. Another blow, as far as I was concerned, was that the song wasn't first in the credits, but second, when everyone had gone home, or when it went to DVD, people had turned off their players before the song started. The song was also never used to advertise the movie. It's like the song didn't exist and I had to wonder why Mika was asked to write a song, if the song wasn't going to be used to it's best effect.

I can't read Mika's mind, but in my opinion, I think the faliure of KA might have been a cruel blow for Mika and might have been the thing that made him nervous about releasing EMD. He certainly didn't chance putting it out in the UK and risking another faliure in the UK charts. In a way, I don't blame him for sticking with France for a while. But I really think he could do really well again in the UK. He just needs proper promotion, and for Radio One to get behind him again. I hope this will be the case. I badly want him on top in the UK once more.

i totally get what you're saying and in any case barbados doesn't count, but that song played a LOT here!:boing: :boing:i didn't even know it was from a movie - i just remember hearing it a lot on the radio and liking it - that's the first time i heard of the name 'MIKA' (even though i'd heard GK and rain before i had no clue who sang them), as i googled the song to download it...if only i'd been more curious and googled his entire discography :doh:

Oh mostly agree on your point of view about KA... I thought, maybe it could be my awkward assumtion, I thought Mika was kinda betrayed by ppl around Kick ass. The Movie production ppl, especially ... :dunno: He wrote the song for movie but never played during the movie but after the ending credit. Seeing KA music video, Mika put quite loads of effort and expected more than that, but Movie production, UK&US Radio totally ignored that effort. It seems since then Mika started to focus on the France instead... :sad:

Very nicely put Marilyn, agree with each and every word you said there:thumb_yello:

aww..maybe he was singing just for you..:wub2:

haha, I wish:wink2:.... but it was more like there were like 2 or 3 no..like 2 people between us, and a few around us.. (but it wasn't very crowdy) I wasn't just next to him...and he was like standing maybe even back to the whole bus looking through the window but I'm not sure about it (maybe not exactly cause I saw his face)...and he was holding the metal barrier (I guess) and he started to sing..not very loud..