Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

Why? Maybe you'll be able to tell me what that part is about because I don't really understand it:blink:

just think of a gay couple and what the church says... it's really smart, a metaphor he takes from the bible itself, to criticize the church! LIKE adam and eve... god didn't think they deserved it... he (...) made them hide... :wink2:

i love how this part stands out from the rest, musically (surely not a coincidence...), and thus it's the first of the verses i knew by heart - and now that i've fully realized what the song is about, i love this bit even more and see it as the centerpiece of the song. :wub2:

Edited by mellody

just think of a gay couple and what the church says... it's really smart, a metaphor he takes from the bible itself, to criticize the church! LIKE adam and eve... god didn't think they deserved it... he (...) made them hide... :wink2:

Yes I think it points out that the biblical god has twisted and tried to make all love sinful, forcing even a man and woman to feel shameful of who they are and shameful of their perfectly natural behaviour. So people should not be looking to the bible and outdated religious doctrine for moral guidance and reasons to cast judgement on homosexual relationships either.

Yes I think it points out that the biblical god has twisted and tried to make all love sinful, forcing even a man and woman to feel shameful of who they are and shameful of their perfectly natural behaviour. So people should not be looking to the bible and outdated religious doctrine for moral guidance and reasons to cast judgement on homosexual relationships either.

wow, i think that you may be going too far. according to the bible, God is love, and all kinds of love. It's just that not every person who follows God is able to see it in that way [specially the oldest ones :teehee: ] and, well, old people guides the church

wow, i think that you may be going too far. according to the bible, God is love, and all kinds of love. It's just that not every person who follows God is able to see it in that way [specially the oldest ones :teehee: ] and, well, old people guides the church

I have not studied the bible but I don't see any "love" in the story of Adam and Eve. It's about punishment, judgement, sin, shame, banishment, etc. I don't think it's the interpretation of "old people". It's very clear IMO. :dunno:

wow, i think that you may be going too far. according to the bible, God is love, and all kinds of love.

It's not Christine's interpretation, it is Mika's LYRICS. Have you read them?

"Used to be Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let’s put their stories aside

You know the origin is you"

By any chance does anyone hear the difference in this clip to the one Jo played?

http://snd.sc/NOa8W6

where's that from? :blink: i think there's more voice distortion in your clip than in the one from the radio, and it might be a fuller sound (more bass / deep frequencies), but not sure as it's not really loud... :dunno:

where's that from? :blink: i think there's more voice distortion in your clip than in the one from the radio, and it might be a fuller sound (more bass / deep frequencies), but not sure as it's not really loud... :dunno:

I'll be really annoyed if they overdo this voice distortion and ruin the song :aah:

I really don't think you can judge whether there is more or less distortion based on internet clips. Every sound gets distorted when you compress it over and over.

We're just going to have to wait for the album cut to see what he's done with it I think. Maybe this new Chilean film clip will use Mika's latest version so we can get a more accurate idea.

I really don't think you can judge whether there is more or less distortion based on internet clips. Every sound gets distorted when you compress it over and over.

I think it is deliberately distorted because of the drugs part at the beginning (I accept that, sounds good) but as it stays on, I do find it worrying as it is almost ruining the song for me or at least not letting it reach its full potential in sound. So I'd rather write down my concerns now than after it has been released.

It's from BBC Radio 2's website.

I think it is deliberately distorted because of the drugs part at the beginning (I accept that, sounds good) but as it stays on, I do find it worrying as it is almost ruining the song for me or at least not letting it reach its full potential in sound. So I'd rather write down my concerns now than after it has been released.

I know there is some deliberate distortion but I think one internet clip sounding worse than the other is just an artifact of the poor file quality and not due to them coming from different mixes.

I've been in love with the song since I listened to it live in Nice :wub2:

And hubby told me it's one of the best tracks Mika has ever written, without me asking any feedback

yes, it is . I've made non Mika fans listen to it and they loved it at first hearing :wub2:

I have not studied the bible but I don't see any "love" in the story of Adam and Eve. It's about punishment, judgement, sin, shame, banishment, etc. I don't think it's the interpretation of "old people". It's very clear IMO. :dunno:

Adam and Eve [bible story] is about disobedience, they were punished and banished for being disobedient. the love was before they were disobedient :teehee: .... but Mika´s Adam and Eve is a different story.

It's not Christine's interpretation, it is Mika's LYRICS. Have you read them?

"Used to be Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let’s put their stories aside

You know the origin is you"

yes, i've read them [btw, i thought it was "like stupid Adam and Eve" :blink:]

and, well, this is not like the Adam and Eve on the bible.

Sorry Christine, i thought you were talking about the bible version, not Mika's version [i'm used to the bible version :aah: sorry, i always forgot that in the song, the story is not the same]

anyways, the part that i like the most of those verses is "let's put their stories aside" cuz makes me think that this and other stories really doesn't matter cuz "you know the origin is you" :wub2:

@Elisabeth.C yes, I seem to have copied lyrics from an earlier version without checking. It does not change the meaning though, even emphasizes Mika's reluctance to accept the teaching and preaching of the church

I still think he says

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

Well that's a reason for nothing

Because in the Heaven video he shakes his head a little on nothing - I know you all think it's "loving" but why does he shake his head:aah:

Adam and Eve [bible story] is about disobedience, they were punished and banished for being disobedient. the love was before they were disobedient :teehee: .... but Mika´s Adam and Eve is a different story.

I think that one could also say that the biblical Adam and Eve story is ultimately about totalitarian control and power. God wanted the total control, and told them to stay away from the apple (without providing an explanation of why this was necessary).

When Adam and Eve 'disobeyed', he unleashed the massive punishment and showed no mercy or love. I think it's very OTT, personally, and shows a huge need to control and manipulate.

Anyway, this is not really the topic so I will STFU :naughty:

I still think he says

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

Well that's a reason for nothing

Because in the Heaven video he shakes his head a little on nothing - I know you all think it's "loving" but why does he shake his head:aah:

I hear nothing too, especially on the studio version

I heard "loving", "nothing" and even "loathing" . Still none of them make much sence:dunno: We miss the aim...

More versions ?

I heard "nothing" :blink: and if you read his lips in the vid of Heaven, you'll see clearly he says "nothing"

Edited by Mikasister