Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

These are the latest lyrics I can work out, but I guess we don't know exactly how it ends because it gets cut off.

The Origin of Love

Love is a drug and you are my cigarette

Love is addiction and you are my Nicorette

Love is a drug, like chocolate, like cigarettes

I'm feeling sick I got to medicate myself

I want your love don't try to stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear

Even the book in your pocket

You are the sun and the light you are the freedom I fight

God will do nothing to stop it

The origin is you

You're the origin of love

Well if god is a priest and the devil is hell ?

There's a reason for love ?

Like every word that you preach

Like every word that you teach

With every rule that you breach

You know the origin is you

From the air I breathe to the love I need

Only thing I know you're the origin of love

From the god above to the one I love

Only thing that's true the origin is you

Patre nostru, deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

Dione matre, deus machismo

deus esso sancto spirito

Let us know missing part and / or better transcription - we are only guessing the words.:wink2:

Like stupid Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let's push their stories aside

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

Some love’s a pill and some love is a candy cane

It tastes so sweet but leaves you feeling sick with pain

Your love is air I breathe it in around me

Don't know it's there but without it I'm drowning

Love, you're the origin of love

Thank god that you found me

I think the last word in these two lines are incorrect but I don't know what alternative would make sense. Kind of sounds like love/nothing.

Well if god is a priest and the devil is ?

There's a reason for ?

What's wrong with the dedication to "the man i love"?

Nothing! Sorry if that came across in the wrong way. What I wanted to say was, that I was upset after listening to the BBC-Version of TOOL and the may changed release-date. But than came the info about the dedication and I was so full of happiness and positive feelings, which was the total opposite to the feelings some minutes ago. Real turn-over. And then it was kind of strange to feel a total mash-up of negative and positive feelings.

I think I cracked the last two mystery lines!

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

Well that's a reason for nothing

:aah:

And that cut off bit at the end is "Love! Thank God you found me"

Edited by Blue Sky

I think I cracked the last two mystery lines!

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

Well that's a reason for nothing

:aah:

And that cut off bit at the end is "Love! Thank God you found me"

Yes I heard that 'slut' thing too..

feel proud.. :mf_rosetinted:

As I can see I'm not the only who prefers the live version. Hope this is not the final version, but I guess it is. It's just that I think that this version hides much of Mika's potential. :sneaky2:

Anyway, in Mika I trust!! :teehee:

First I heard TOOL live on Youtube, I thought it would be epic and anthemic one to blow off everything... quite confident about my view after listening it live in the venue too. I was sure that it should have been the first single.

And, When I heard the recorded radio ver.... it's... just odd. :blink: it's just like I just heard leaked unfinished raw demo ver. It's sounds just 'flat (quite different from 'simple') never blew my heart by tunes. All I can hear is annoying base line (or drum? whatever hell that is) but the vocal and chorus is just so weak!! and some parts are unnecessarily distorted with electronic tunes.. I loved the distorted voices on Make you happy, But not here. It's just overproduced

Maybe the final ver is like this too, (hope really not!) I think I gotta produce and mix my own TOOL in any way :crybaby: this is def not the thing I expected.

Totally agree!! It is not what I expected from him :sneaky2: I'm a little bit disappointed!

Sounds like every other generic pop song, and now that I can hear the lyrics I can tell they're really trite. I don't get the drug/nicorette thing. Aren't nicorettes fake substitutes for nicotine? Meant to put you off the drug? Yet I don't think he means that his lover is fake and putting him off love. And the religious stuff was radical in about, oh, 1950 :dunno: Before I was born, anyway

I like the phrase "you're the origin of love" though. And it's a good name for an album, but I was really counting on the recorded versions packing more of a punch. I'd like to think this was a raw cut, as some are saying but unless Mika sait it, I think that's highly unlikely- this is the British, national radio launch- it'd been cut, but I'd imagine these are the best bits and well polished, if not set in stone

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I'm quite upset by this- Mika has so much originality of mind, but it's just not getting into his songs on this album (so far). And I so wanted him to knock the UK's socks of with this one

I'm glad he's in love and putting his heart into his work, and I despise the attitude that only angst is art- but if it was another artist I wouldn't buy the album based on the publicity so far

Well, maybe it isn't really the last version?

As those who were at the Secret album listening said, they heard a much better version? :dunno:

Now this* has cheered me up. (Though in that case, why not launch the national promo with the best versio?)

Sorry to keep whinging about this, but I'm so disappointed with the whole thing

*orignally posted in the Oldlings

Here you go guys! :teehee:

Thank you! I now remember why I always wanted to hear the recorded version first, then the live one :pinkbow: I like it! If the final version is "grander", even better! :teehee:

Almost before Christmas, just like we wanted last year :pinkbow:

Oh hahahaha! :lmao:

Jemma Fabuleux ‏@jemisfab

Mika just dedicated TOOL to the 'Man I Love' I'm so happy he's happy love you @mikasounds x

:wub2::wub2::wub2:

Oh this is amazing!! :wub2: And what a great way, dedicating that song! *off to check the reports' thread*

LOL I see Im the only one here loving this... :aah:

It happened the other way around with Underwater,you all instantly loved it and I still find it flat.... I hope for the final album to make all us happy.

I agree,from the latin part and on the song shows its best. I do love it. I wouldnt mind if he changes it into something more "energic" but if he doesnt, I wont cry. I like this song. Live,in a shorted version, in a disco version.....whatever.

I thought he sung: the freedom of write :aah:

Nothing! Sorry if that came across in the wrong way. What I wanted to say was, that I was upset after listening to the BBC-Version of TOOL and the may changed release-date. But than came the info about the dedication and I was so full of happiness and positive feelings, which was the total opposite to the feelings some minutes ago. Real turn-over. And then it was kind of strange to feel a total mash-up of negative and positive feelings.

Aha I understand :wink2:

These are the latest lyrics I can work out, but I guess we don't know exactly how it ends because it gets cut off.

The Origin of Love

I want your love don't try to stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear

Even the book in your pocket

God will do nothing to stop it

The origin is you

Well if god is a priest and the devil is hell ?

There's a reason for loveing ?

Like every word that you preach

Like every word that you teach

With every rule that you breach

Only thing I know you're the origin of love

Patre nostru, deus machismo

Padre deus, deus machismo

Dione madre, deus machismo

deus esso sancto spirito

Let us know missing part and / or better transcription - we are only guessing the words.:wink2:

Like stupid Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let's push their stories aside

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

Some love’s a pill and some love is a candy cane

It tastes so sweet but leaves you feeling sick with pain

Your love is air I breathe it in around me

Don't know it's there but without it I'm drowning

Love, you're the origin of love

I think the last word in these two lines are incorrect but I don't know what alternative would make sense. Kind of sounds like love/nothing.

Well if god is a priest and the devil is ?

There's a reason for ?

I think he sings padre and madre. And I hear 'there's a reason for loving

Sounds like every other generic pop song,

I have to disagree with that. There is nothing like this on the radio. Mika is right about that. :naughty: I think in that sense the song IS similar to Grace Kelly.

I don't get the drug/nicorette thing. Aren't nicorettes fake substitutes for nicotine? Meant to put you off the drug? Yet I don't think he means that his lover is fake and putting him off love.

I don't think the idea is that it's fake, but that it satisfies the addiction. A bit clumsy though I agree. :naughty:

And the religious stuff was radical in about, oh, 1950 :dunno: Before I was born, anyway

Yes on the surface it could seem like some 1980s Madonna style shock tactic but I think in the context of his personal situation it's legitimate and politically relevant in 2012. He was raised in a faith that rejects his relationship and the gay rights movement is really starting to turn the tide and getting the general public to rethink these policies and reject this mentality. I don't know if it's as hot an issue in the UK but it's really coming to the forefront in the US. I think in all countries the legalization of same sex marriage has been sanctioned very recently (ie certainly long after the 1950s) and it's a battle still being fought in many places.

LOL I see Im the only one here loving this... :aah:

It happened the other way around with Underwater,you all instantly loved it and I still find it flat.... I hope for the final album to make all us happy.

I do like the song a lot. I would compare it favourably to WAG for instance. I went nuts when I first heard WAG because I was just in a different place when it came to my feelings for Mika and my emotional investment in his music. I think I am a bit more...I don't think objective is the word quite because I will never be able to listen to Mika's songs as if I'd never heard of him before. But certainly I feel like I can take a step back now and take off the rose tinted headphones. :naughty:

When I listen to other pop songs for the first time I have no need to critique them. Sometimes I don't even register them on a conscious level at all. I remember finding Lily Allen's Smile vaguely irritating because I thought it was some stupidly silly song about being happy. Weeks later I finally listened to the lyrics and understood what it was about and what she was about. But here we are poring over every note and lyric right from the moment we first listen to these Mika songs so it's a different process of discovery.

When I first heard LICM I was disappointed that it wasn't 10 songs exactly like Grace Kelly. I found all the falsetto over the top and would skip Love Today and Happy Ending in favour of Billy Brown and Big Girl. Eventually my relationship with these songs became the exact opposite and I'm bored of BB and BG and think LT and HE are exceptional pop songs that have stood the test of time.

I don't need to fall madly in love with TOOL to think it's a good song and the only reason I am offering a critique at all is because that's what these discussions are for.

Yes on the surface it could seem like some 1980s Madonna style shock tactic but I think in the context of his personal situation it's legitimate and politically relevant in 2012. He was raised in a faith that rejects his relationship and the gay rights movement is really starting to turn the tide and getting the general public to rethink these policies and reject this mentality. I don't know if it's as hot an issue in the UK but it's really coming to the forefront in the US. I think in all countries the legalization of same sex marriage has been sanctioned very recently (ie certainly long after the 1950s) and it's a battle still being fought in many places.

I absolutely agree Christine, and I can totally understand him being born and raised in a Catholic country which in addition hosts the Vatican.Trend has changed and is changing everywhere, and I'm sure even Italy, sooner or later, will have a law for same sex marriages.

I don't want to give much public importance to Mikas' coming out, but I KNOW every little step forward, from celebrities to the man in the street, are helping the LGBT community to reach their final goal.

For me today (let's say yesterday :naughty:) is a day to remember.

I got all excited about it and even cried for a sec, but well, he says a lot of different things which not always turn out to be true:teehee:

Anyway, if he's happy, I'm happy too:wub2:

If the man he loves is just his father, I'm ok with that as well:wink2:

THIS represents me. I'm kind of :shocked: right now about that "to the man I love" Probably tomorrow I'll see the romanticism of it. it's just that me and my friends [as straight girls who dreams with being Mika's girlfriend] were hoping he was dating a woman

is there any video of it? I wanna see it:mikalove:

I also think that this version it's not the last one, cus it has mistakes :blink:

THIS represents me. I'm kind of :shocked: right now about that "to the man I love" Probably tomorrow I'll see the romanticism of it. it's just that me and my friends [as straight girls who dreams with being Mika's girlfriend] were hoping he was dating a woman

is there any video of it? I wanna see it:mikalove:

I also think that this version it's not the last one, cus it has mistakes :blink:

Me too!