Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I absolutely agree Christine, and I can totally understand him being born and raised in a Catholic country which in addition hosts the Vatican.Trend has changed and is changing everywhere, and I'm sure even Italy, sooner or later, will have a law for same sex marriages.

I don't want to give much public importance to Mikas' coming out, but I KNOW every little step forward, from celebrities to the man in the street, are helping the LGBT community to reach their final goal.

For me today (let's say yesterday :naughty:) is a day to remember.

i still hope it'd be old days to remember for other religion too, like Islam. cuz you still can see so many muslims against gay right. in their opinion it's like if anyone says i'm gay, then you can't talk to him, discuss or even look at him cuz he has made a big mistake and he has to be ashamed of it. for example i have so many classmates who thinks being gay is a crime (or even a disease :shocked:) and i really can't stand them! :sneaky2: i wish it all end someday ...

Edited by boom_kimool_boom

shush :mf_rosetinted: you should set an example :mf_rosetinted:

Sometimes I´m happy Im deaf :aah: I can enjoy the same song for ages till I get used to it :aah:

Oh... But... were you in your "ohmyGodMikaisfantasticIlovehimmorethanmylife" period? :teehee: I mean, I think it´s different listening to a song when you are "up" in feelings (sorry, I´m a bit hard to understand sometimes) than when you are not... you know what I mean??

I just want to get rid of this feeling which is making me feel that he is losing a lot of his old fans due to his new direction...

Well, I always have the habbit to absolytely hate his new songs first, and then after I listen to it a few times, I start to love them.

Ofcourse Grace Kelly caught my attention, i pretty much liked that from the beginning, since I didn't know Mika before that. And then came Love Today and Relax. Oh god, I hated Relax. Come on, someone singing Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax a million times, no thank you. (Relax still isn't one of my favourites, but I do think it's a really good one live, since it gets the party started!) And then Love Today. Nope, didn't like that either. But still I bought the cd. It took quite some times since I started to like it. Then it all went a bit quiet, untill I saw the WAG video. First thought: Has he completely lost it? Dancing around in his underwear, and he's already in his mid twenties! But I started to love it, and I've got the TBWKTM for my birthday from a friend. It took a month before I put it on! :aah: But 2 weeks later I was stalking the MFC and nagging to my mother to let me go to a gig.

So no need to panic yet Rosa :naughty:

Btw, I love this song from the first time I listened to it. I was sceptic, with the whole nicorette thing. But he just won me over with the Latin choir part. :wub2: I hope he'll definitely keep that in his live versions, that would be very impressive live with a choir I think.

I have to disagree with that. There is nothing like this on the radio. Mika is right about that. :naughty: I think in that sense the song IS similar to Grace Kelly.

I don't think the idea is that it's fake, but that it satisfies the addiction. A bit clumsy though I agree. :naughty:

Yes on the surface it could seem like some 1980s Madonna style shock tactic but I think in the context of his personal situation it's legitimate and politically relevant in 2012. He was raised in a faith that rejects his relationship and the gay rights movement is really starting to turn the tide and getting the general public to rethink these policies and reject this mentality. I don't know if it's as hot an issue in the UK but it's really coming to the forefront in the US. I think in all countries the legalization of same sex marriage has been sanctioned very recently (ie certainly long after the 1950s) and it's a battle still being fought in many places.

I do like the song a lot. I would compare it favourably to WAG for instance. I went nuts when I first heard WAG because I was just in a different place when it came to my feelings for Mika and my emotional investment in his music. I think I am a bit more...I don't think objective is the word quite because I will never be able to listen to Mika's songs as if I'd never heard of him before. But certainly I feel like I can take a step back now and take off the rose tinted headphones. :naughty:

When I listen to other pop songs for the first time I have no need to critique them. Sometimes I don't even register them on a conscious level at all. I remember finding Lily Allen's Smile vaguely irritating because I thought it was some stupidly silly song about being happy. Weeks later I finally listened to the lyrics and understood what it was about and what she was about. But here we are poring over every note and lyric right from the moment we first listen to these Mika songs so it's a different process of discovery.

When I first heard LICM I was disappointed that it wasn't 10 songs exactly like Grace Kelly. I found all the falsetto over the top and would skip Love Today and Happy Ending in favour of Billy Brown and Big Girl. Eventually my relationship with these songs became the exact opposite and I'm bored of BB and BG and think LT and HE are exceptional pop songs that have stood the test of time.

I don't need to fall madly in love with TOOL to think it's a good song and the only reason I am offering a critique at all is because that's what these discussions are for.

Yes it happened to me too with many songs. First you love them but then for some reason you get tired of them. It never happened with GK or TB though... but for the rest of the songs,yes.

And I understand it,no one needs to fall in love madly with any song. But Im happy it happened to me with this one cause I was feeling a bit odd with all the songs. For me,this is the GK of this album so far.

About the latin part, he must say "nostruM". And about the patre/matre... the real word is pater and mater,so.... :aah: He obviously never studied Latin.... LOL

Yes it happened to me too with many songs. First you love them but then for some reason you get tired of them. It never happened with GK or TB though... but for the rest of the songs,yes.

And I understand it,no one needs to fall in love madly with any song. But Im happy it happened to me with this one cause I was feeling a bit odd with all the songs. For me,this is the GK of this album so far.

About the latin part, he must say "nostruM". And about the patre/matre... the real word is pater and mater,so.... :aah: He obviously never studied Latin.... LOL

the "patre/matre" part isn't necissarily wrong. It's the singular ablative. So would maybe translates as "with our father". But nostru isn't right then, nostro would be the fitting ablative to go with patre.

We'll get to listen to the recorded song tonight!

Lisa Smith ‏@lisalaurasmith

On @jowhiley tonight we have WORLD EXCLUSIVE play of 'Origin Of Love' the lead track fromt the new album by @mikasounds listen @BBCRadio2

:woot_jump:

I've just come on this morning (Friday) I had a church meeting last night so wasn't looking on here!

OMG! Does this mean Orogin is the first single in the UK?

It'll be a HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE hit!!!!

Sorry, Celebrate song. You're okay, but Origin is better than you, for the UK.

Edit: I've listened to the interview and Origin is just a track he wanted played. So it's still Celebrate. I hope the single does great, but Origin sounds wonderful on the radio.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I think he sings padre and madre. [/color]

yes, even though that's not latin.

@Christine @Blue_Sky Thank you for the questionable parts - book in your pocket makes sense, as well as the devil being a slut :rolls_eyes:

Final version except for the modern Latin part? :teehee:

Love is a drug and you are my cigarette

Love is addiction and you are my Nicorette

Love is a drug, like chocolate, like cigarettes

I'm feeling sick I got to medicate myself

I want your love don't try to stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear

Even the book in your pocket

You are the sun and the light you are the freedom I fight

God will do nothing to stop it

The origin is you

You're the origin of love

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

There's a reason for loving

Like every word that you preach

Like every word that you teach

With every rule that you breach

You know the origin is you

From the air I breathe to the love I need

Only thing I know you're the origin of love

From the god above to the one I love

Only thing that's true the origin is you

Patre nostrum, deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

Dione matre, deus machismo

deus esso sancto spirito

Let us know missing part and / or better transcription - we are only guessing the words.:wink2:

Like stupid Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let's push their stories aside

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

Some love’s a pill and some love is a candy cane

It tastes so sweet but leaves you feeling sick with pain

Your love is air I breathe it in around me

Don't know it's there but without it I'm drowning

Love, you're the origin of love

Thank god that you found me

Love! Thank god you found me

Edited by suzie

yes, even though that's not latin.

@Christine @Blue_Sky Thank you for the questionable parts - book in your pocket makes sense, as well as the devil being a slut :rolls_eyes:

Final version except for the modern Latin part? :teehee:

I want your love don't try to stop me

Can't get enough, still hanging on me

Your guilty heart don't let it break you

And if you pray well no one's gonna save you

Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear

Even the book in your pocket

You are the sun and the light you are the freedom I fight

God will do nothing to stop it

The origin is you

Well if god is a priest and the devil a slut

There's a reason for loving

Like every word that you preach

Like every word that you teach

With every rule that you breach

Only thing I know you're the origin of love

Patre nostru, deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

Dione matre, deus machismo

deus esso sancto spirito

Let us know missing part and / or better transcription - we are only guessing the words.:wink2:

Like stupid Adam and Eve they found their love in a tree

God didn't think they deserved it

He taught them hate taught them pride

Gave them a leaf made them hide

Let's push their stories aside

Only thing I know is you're the origin of love

Some love’s a pill and some love is a candy cane

It tastes so sweet but leaves you feeling sick with pain

Your love is air I breathe it in around me

Don't know it's there but without it I'm drowning

Love, you're the origin of love

Love! Thank god you found me

wow,Thank you:thumb_yello:Actually,I think the live of TOOL is better than official version,but I still love this song!!!!:wub2:

:dunno: that part could be Sicilian :roftl:

It is also nostru in Romanian - I remember a program on tv from my childhood :teehee:

Anyway, I'll correct is to nostrum...

...or re-write parts in Italian or Spanish :naughty:

I think in the context of his personal situation it's legitimate and politically relevant in 2012. He was raised in a faith that rejects his relationship and the gay rights movement is really starting to turn the tide and getting the general public to rethink these policies and reject this mentality. I don't know if it's as hot an issue in the UK but it's really coming to the forefront in the US. I think in all countries the legalization of same sex marriage has been sanctioned very recently (ie certainly long after the 1950s) and it's a battle still being fought in many places.

That's what I find so frustrating- there may be good stuff behind the song, but not IMO, in it. You need to explain that his parents were an old fashioned RC family to understand, and even then he's 28 years old. I don't think many people here know or care about the difference between marriage and civil partnership, though the high ups are chattering about it

When I listen to other pop songs for the first time I have no need to critique them. Sometimes I don't even register them on a conscious level at all. I remember finding Lily Allen's Smile vaguely irritating because I thought it was some stupidly silly song about being happy. Weeks later I finally listened to the lyrics and understood what it was about and what she was about. But here we are poring over every note and lyric right from the moment we first listen to these Mika songs so it's a different process of discovery.

Ye-e-e-s. But I'm not sure that I would be if it was anyone else's song. Obviously, like all of us, these are only first impressions. It might well grow on me- after I came late to GK I looked up all his LICM vids and thought "just the one good song then"- but by the time 3 weeks had passed, I was playing them over and over, and had read almost everything written about him on here and in the press. And I never simply could NOT understand how people like the oldlings could talk about their kids and their gardens when they could be chatting about Mika. (That's worn off now)

I don't need to fall madly in love with TOOL to think it's a good song and the only reason I am offering a critique at all is because that's what these discussions are for.

Hear, hear!

And in fairness I should say that I've been singing the chorus and the "Adam and Eve/ Came down from the trees" line to myself all morning.

he admitted it's not proper Latin, but some rambling latinish words to mock the Mass and the prayers.

Aah it makes sense now. :thumb_yello: I'm very relieved as I did Latin years ago and thought I had been cheated by my teacher :aah:.

:dunno: that part could be Sicilian :roftl:

It is also nostru in Romanian - I remember a program on tv from my childhood :teehee:

Anyway, I'll correct is to nostrum...

...or re-write parts in Italian or Spanish :naughty:

Indeed it is . I'm sure I hear NOSTRUM or am I deaf ?:naughty:

I love the song he only needs to change the begining he sounds weak :thumb_yello:

the "patre/matre" part isn't necissarily wrong. It's the singular ablative. So would maybe translates as "with our father". But nostru isn't right then, nostro would be the fitting ablative to go with patre.

yes, it could... but an ablative there?? It has even less meaning... :aah: After knowing that Mika himself said it was not proper latin but some babbling to mock the Church, there´s no need to investigate... let´s be serious, Mika can´t even make a proper structure in English, let alone in Latin... :lmfao: :lmfao: (don´t forget the "since I was in my braces" part :mf_rosetinted:)

just to change the topic :teehee:

[YOUTUBE]rjsuznSFJFs#![/YOUTUBE]

What I found cool, is the day before I re-read the lyrics all over again, and the part talking about Adam and Eve just made me certain that he was in love with a man! The part of "From God above to the one I love, only thing that's true, the origin is you" too made me just think about it. Like c'mon, it was super clear :teehee:

I'm super happy for him, he deserves to be happy :mikalove:

Why? Maybe you'll be able to tell me what that part is about because I don't really understand it:blink:

As he says: Like STUPID Adam and Eve [...] God didn't think they deserved it. I'm not saying that he means that he's not interested in women or something (I don't know, this is not what I meant... anyways :aah: ) He means that since he's in love with a man, and he's the origin of love, than he made up a story that Adam and Eve didn't collide, so that's what made his man the origin of love... I don't know, that's my opinion... Did you understand or it's too complicated (as I always complicate stuff up)? :naughty:

As he says: Like STUPID Adam and Eve [...] God didn't think they deserved it. I'm not saying that he means that he's not interested in women or something (I don't know, this is not what I meant... anyways :aah: ) He means that since he's in love with a man, and he's the origin of love, than he made up a story that Adam and Eve didn't collide, so that's what made his man the origin of love... I don't know, that's my opinion... Did you understand or it's too complicated (as I always complicate stuff up)? :naughty:

Yes, I think I know what you mean. It starts to make sense to me, thanks:wink2: