Stardust - song discussion

BiaIchihara

Haha,right! I wonder why they didn't do it the entire version in Italian,I think it would have been way much better than this weird mix of verses :doh:

No please, I wouldn't like a Mika song fully in Italian...even if sung by him with Chiara...

we have an Italian version of Erase by a contestant of another Italian talent show and I think it's pretty embarassing (basically because the guy who sings it, but it's awful)

Edited by maggie112

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having this conversation in another thread about "different tastes" but honestly if anyone thinks the recorded version is on par with Mika's they either do not speak English at all or they need their hearing checked. :aah: Chiara's accent makes her sound like she has a speech impediment that is caused by deafness. I have been saying this for months which is why I could never understand Mika's raving about her and how Italian X Factor is better than the others, in part, because of her If Leona Lewis is a 10 then Chiara is a 4 or 5 when it comes to being a great pop vocalist. If Mika can't see (or rather hear) that I don't know how competent a judge he can be. I know he is looking for uniqueness and all of that but I don't think Chiara has the "x factor" at all which is the whole point of the show. There is nothing remarkable or unique or starlike about her and she is not competent to sing English songs so she has no chance outside of Italy.

The duet on the show was lovely because they have a genuine affection for one another but this recording is awful. In any case it seems like a gimmick to make this song about one person who is lonely and regretful looking back on a lost love into a duet. If you're going to do a duet Underwater would have made more sense because it sounds like the love is mutual and not one sided. This is why I can't stand all this pandering to local markets. There is no integrity in it. The song should be the priority and not trying to sell records at all costs. This song doesn't have the same meaning as a duet. It doesn't make sense.

Hello! You break me up when you defined Chiara's english pronunciation :naughty::naughty::naughty:, really! I think it is also for this reason that this version is only available in Italy, because her pronunciation is unacceptable for English-speaking people.

If you've noticed, Mika lowers the volume of his voice when there are parts in Italian, because I think this piece is born to be credible to an audience exclusively Italian. In fact, when Mika sings in Italian is extraordinary, but definitely does not sound like a native, he basically in this song sings ALONE in italian only the phrase "Vieni con me"!

Edited by flavia110

Hello! You break me up when you defined Chiara's english pronunciation :naughty::naughty::naughty:, really! I think it is also for this reason that this version is only available in Italy, because her pronunciation is unacceptable for English-speaking people.

If you've noticed, Mika lowers the volume of his voice when there are parts in Italian, because I think this piece is born to be credible to an audience exclusively Italian. In fact, when Mika sings in Italian is extraordinary, but definitely does not sound like a native, he basically in this song sings ALONE in italian only the phrase "Vieni con me"!

Yes I was going to ask if Mika's Italian sounded as bizarre to Italians. :naughty:

No please, I wouldn't like a Mika song fully in Italian...

Then Chiara should have done only the italian parts :dunno: I don't speak English,but I'm not deaf either :aah: Look at the current contestants from XF,they all can speak english.She's in this music business for a year,she knew about this collaboration with Mika,and she couldn't take some english lessons all this time? :doh:

I was having this conversation in another thread about "different tastes" but honestly if anyone thinks the recorded version is on par with Mika's they either do not speak English at all or they need their hearing checked. :aah: Chiara's accent makes her sound like she has a speech impediment that is caused by deafness. I have been saying this for months which is why I could never understand Mika's raving about her and how Italian X Factor is better than the others, in part, because of her If Leona Lewis is a 10 then Chiara is a 4 or 5 when it comes to being a great pop vocalist. If Mika can't see (or rather hear) that I don't know how competent a judge he can be. I know he is looking for uniqueness and all of that but I don't think Chiara has the "x factor" at all which is the whole point of the show. There is nothing remarkable or unique or starlike about her and she is not competent to sing English songs so she has no chance outside of Italy.

The duet on the show was lovely because they have a genuine affection for one another but this recording is awful. In any case it seems like a gimmick to make this song about one person who is lonely and regretful looking back on a lost love into a duet. If you're going to do a duet Underwater would have made more sense because it sounds like the love is mutual and not one sided. This is why I can't stand all this pandering to local markets. There is no integrity in it. The song should be the priority and not trying to sell records at all costs. This song doesn't have the same meaning as a duet. It doesn't make sense.

Well chiara's horrible accent an mangling of English words (from their first performance together in x actor last year) was the reason I didn't want to listen to this song in the first place but then I got curious so I went to iTunes italia and WOW. To me it's a vast improvement on the first performance and it gave me goosebumps . Really all 3 times I re listened :wub2:

Her accent is still there but the words are correct this time and though I don't like her voice the operatic quality is fitting in this song... I think the clincher for me was the musical arrangement - it was just superb and the way their voices blend with it is powerful :wub2:

Needless to say I love the darn iTunes songbook version :aah: the live recording on xfactor they did the second time is pretty good too but not as clear as the studio version...

Then Chiara should have done only the italian parts :dunno: I don't speak English,but I'm not deaf either :aah: Look at the current contestants from XF,they all can speak english.She's in this music business for a year,she knew about this collaboration with Mika,and she couldn't take some english lessons all this time? :doh:

Not all of them speak English that well. But when one of Mika's girls pronounced an English song the same way as Chiara, he immediately corrected her. Not sure why he didn't do the same with Chiara :dunno:

I have been saying this for months which is why I could never understand Mika's raving about her and how Italian X Factor is better than the others, in part, because of her If Leona Lewis is a 10 then Chiara is a 4 or 5 when it comes to being a great pop vocalist. If Mika can't see (or rather hear) that I don't know how competent a judge he can be. I know he is looking for uniqueness and all of that but I don't think Chiara has the "x factor" at all which is the whole point of the show. There is nothing remarkable or unique or starlike about her and she is not competent to sing English songs so she has no chance outside of Italy.

"Problem" is that the definition of what makes a good vocalist is personal taste. And personally I love her voice, I've listened to her album a lot just because of that. For me she has a special timbre, emotion and warmness in her voice that makes me build a "connection" with her voice. In opposite I don't feel anything at all if Leona Lewis sings. So for me she is unique. And in the end the definition of being remarkable is how much people have this feeling. You don't have objective criterias for that, for one it happens, for the next not.

I'm not talking about her accent or if it makes lyrically sense to do a duet of "Stardust", that are other pairs of shoes.

Not all of them speak English that well. But when one of Mika's girls pronounced an English song the same way as Chiara, he immediately corrected her. Not sure why he didn't do the same with Chiara :dunno:

Yes,it was Gaia,but that was a tiny mistake,she sings in English very good,comparing with Chiara. Maybe he tried with Chiara,but with no result :aah:

Well chiara's horrible accent an mangling of English words (from their first performance together in x actor last year) was the reason I didn't want to listen to this song in the first place but then I got curious so I went to iTunes italia and WOW. To me it's a vast improvement on the first performance and it gave me goosebumps . Really all 3 times I re listened :wub2:

Her accent is still there but the words are correct this time and though I don't like her voice the operatic quality is fitting in this song... I think the clincher for me was the musical arrangement - it was just superb and the way their voices blend with it is powerful :wub2:

Needless to say I love the darn iTunes songbook version :aah: the live recording on xfactor they did the second time is pretty good too but not as clear as the studio version...

Glad to see I'm not alone feeling like this towards the song.

I love the new musical arrangements. Also, I think it's a wonderful duet: 2 souls who felt something for each other but not sure how to express it or where it's going to bring them.

About her imperfect english, it doesn't bother me.

I've listened to her album a lot just because of that. For me she has a special timbre, emotion and warmness in her voice that makes me build a "connection" with her voice.

I actually quite like the tone of her voice too but...

I'm not talking about her accent or if it makes lyrically sense to do a duet of "Stardust", that are other pairs of shoes.

...these things matter. A lot. Because she is not writing her own songs. She is interpreting other people's. And that's where I think Leona Lewis is unmatched regardless of whether you feel her voice.

If Chiara was a singer songwriter and making wonderful unique songs then I would understand. But all people do on these shows is interpret someone else's work, so that is their "artistry". There are thousands of people, many of them with lovely voices, moving through the auditions of these talent shows. The key is to find one with an "x factor". Not a nice voice, but something that sets them apart as a star. I just don't see it in her at all. There are thousands of people out there who could do the same.

His italian sounds like a sexy british one to me.

I think he has a really funny accent, it's nice to hear

Interesting. It sounds lika regular Mika to me (unlike his French which turns him into a completely different person) but he seems to be doing a good job. But of course I don't really know what he should sound like.

She's in this music business for a year,she knew about this collaboration with Mika,and she couldn't take some english lessons all this time? :doh:

I don't think she needs to learn English exactly but she could have worked on the specific sounds in this particular song where it doesn't sound right.

At least it's not Grace Kelly. When I hear non English speakers singing Grace Kelky I want to poke my ears out with an ice pick.

I don't think she needs to learn English exactly but she could have worked on the specific sounds in this particular song where it doesn't sound right.

At least it's not Grace Kelly. When I hear non English speakers singing Grace Kelky I want to poke my ears out with an ice pick.

Yes,that's what I meant,she could have worked at her english pronunciation for this song,there's only a few words to learn.....one thing it's to perform on the stage for once a song with little flaws,but a great scenography,and another thing is to record in a professional studio a song for an album. It's a shame,because I really like the new musical arrangement :huh:

Yes,that's what I meant,she could have worked at her english pronunciation for this song,there's only a few words to learn.....one thing it's to perform on the stage for once a song with little flaws,but a great scenography,and another thing is to record in a professional studio a song for an album. It's a shame,because I really like the new musical arrangement :huh:

Yes I don't fault her in the live performance. I think like all imperfections, it can be entirely overlooked because it is a really nice arrangement and she and Mika have a great connection. I really enjoyed it. But I don't want to listen to the recorded track.

Anyway it seems to be helping Mika sell albums in Italy which is the important thing. This song was not made for me so it doesn't matter what I think. :naughty:

he seems to be doing a good job. But of course I don't really know what he should sound like.

he is, Italian is not a so easy language to learn in so short time, he did an excellent work (his teacher too) but it sounds obviuosly as a not native speaker :)

he is, Italian is not a so easy language to learn in so short time, he did an excellent work (his teacher too) but it sounds obviuosly as a not native speaker :)

That's why I understand everything he says :blush-anim-cl: and the same happen with a not native english speaker :wink2:

The accent of Chiara just adds a quirkiness to the song. I think she sings it really well with Mika.

Abba were not always perfect in their lyrics, but no one minded because it was just what they did, being that English wasn't their first language.

I wish the version of Stardust with Chiara was released in the UK. I even love the bit where they sing in Italian. It lends an extra layer to the song. It's really beautiful.

The accent of Chiara just adds a quirkiness to the song. I think she sings it really well with Mika.

Abba were not always perfect in their lyrics, but no one minded because it was just what they did, being that English wasn't their first language.

I wish the version of Stardust with Chiara was released in the UK. I even love the bit where they sing in Italian. It lends an extra layer to the song. It's really beautiful.

I've listened Abba lots of times and even their english was not perfect, it was better than Chiara's, their songs did not sound so harsh in their voices but sweet, so different as Stardust sound in her, but as I said this is just my opinion, my feelings when my ears are listening Chiara singing, just don't like what I listen :dunno:

I've listened Abba lots of times and even their english was not perfect, it was better than Chiara's, their songs did not sound so harsh in their voices but sweet, so different as Stardust sound in her, but as I said this is just my opinion, my feelings when my ears are listening Chiara singing, just don't like what I listen :dunno:

ABBA was one of the best popbands ever, imo, the dark and the light voice of Annifrid and Agnetha were quite perfect together :fisch: I wouldn't even think about buying anything by Chiara - I only like her duet because it's done together with MIKA, and because I love "Stardust" - especially his own version from TOOL :wub2:

Love,love

me

The vid is really amazing, Mika's voice "mi fai morire" :wub2: but Chiara's pronunciation, no comment :mf_rosetinted:

I know... as I've said before, her voice combined with Mika's is really beautiful, but when it's on-off, it doesn't sound very good. It's still beautiful, just doesn't fit right.