MIKA Somewhere in Ireland! Arthur's Day - 27 September 2012

dcdeb

Hello :bye:

I am just back home. Firstly....a huge thank you to Theresa for being a fantastic host and for putting in a lot of work and effort to do her very best to ensure that we all got to see Mika yesterday. I know it was a headache :insane: for a few weeks and I am SO delighted that it all worked out brilliantly for us all.

:huglove:

As ever, it was lovely to see old friends again and to meet new MFCers - well, not new members but ones that I haven't met before.

I agree that it would have been amazing to see Mika in the small pub but everything was so incredibly guarded -it was just impossible to get info. As we walksed to the market bar we passed one of the other larger venues and the security guards weren't letting slip who was playing there. Rose was right in saying that we would never have managed both gigs anyway - well, not front row. But I also agree with Christine's point that the opportunity to see him perform in a pub would have been incredible.....but it wasn't to be and we certainly can't complain about what we experienced at The Market Bar.

Luke, Buttons, Theresa and I headed into Dublin City Centre around about lunchtime. We were just walking across the river -well, a bridge to be honest :wink2: when Theresa and Luke recieved their texts to say that the gig would be at The Market Inn. We headed there, initially with the idea of just finding the place then going and sitting in a bar nearby. However, when we arrived we could hear that Mika and the Gospel Choir were soundchecking so obviously we stayed. It was slightly frustrating as the doors were open, so we could hear perfectly but were unable to see. We did try every trick in the book to get in but weren't having any luck. :aah: However, it was incredible. To be perfectly honest.....the acoustics/sound during the gig were not good.....and he didn't do Underwater, although he had sounchecked it....so we almost got a better experience sound wise in the afternoon. Anyway, after that (Origin and Underwater were the two stand out tracks from teh soundcheck) we naturally waited for Mika to leave as there was a minibus sat waiting for him. When he came out he was happy to chat and he signed Theresa's CD and Luke's magazine. Button's asked him if he had read my book. He said that he had it at home in his collection and that he had read some of it but not all of it as 'I don't like reading that stuff about myself' :mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

Mika then left. We had been told that doors would open at four and by this point it wasn't really that long until four. So we decided to stay put. However....things didn't go to plan. There were health and safety issues - one of the security staff told us that it had actually come very close to not going ahead :blink:. Anyway - we finally got in about 6 15. It was incredible really.........we got wrist bands fitted individualy, which meant that we all strolled sedately in, one by one. Theresa was in first and as I followed her round the corner into the gig room I saw her not racing to the front of the satge but at the bar with a pint of Guiness in her hand! It was hilarious....we just walked slowly to the front...and were then joined by Buttons and Luke.....I have never known anything like it!

I will post this now beofre it is too long..............

Edited by kath

As already mentioned, the sound system wasn't good. We were incredibly close - so I wondered if that was what had distorted the sound but Theresa's Husband was further back and said the sound wasn't good. There were several other acts on before Mika - but it was really difficult to tell if they were any good or not due to the sound system. Mika came on at about 1020....which was slightly earlier than 11 which we were expecting.

We were very, very close....touching distance - but we had vowed to behave ourselves and keep our hands to oursleves. This worked until right at the end when Mika tempted fate and put his leg on the barrier right in front of Luke....well frankly, when everyone else started feeling him up it would have been rude not to. :wub2: I had to manhandle Theresa a little so that she could reach but she managed a quick rub of his leg. :wink2::naughty:

The gig was great................he didn't stick to the set list ( he didn't do Lola /Underwater or WAG which were on the list) but he did do Elle me Dit which was a huge surprise - and great. Obviously with being as close as that we all got our share of eye contact/smiles etc. :mikalove:

He was never going to be doing much of the new stuff as this was a freebie/TV thing - so it was mostly the old favourites with EMD/Origin/Celebrate thrown in.

It was an incredible atmosphere....everyone was singing along and dancing.

Afterwards it was relatively calm and Mika did some signing/photos. He seemed a little quiet....but I am sure he was completely knackered as it had been an incredibly energetic performance.

All in all a brilliant day.

Thanks again to everyone :huglove:

As already mentioned, the sound system wasn't good. We were incredibly close - so I wondered if that was what had distorted the sound but Theresa's Husband was further back and said the sound wasn't good. There were several other acts on before Mika - but it was really difficult to tell if they were any good or not due to the sound system. Mika came on at about 1020....which was slightly earlier than 11 which we were expecting.

We were very, very close....touching distance - but we had vowed to behave ourselves and keep our hands to oursleves. This worked until right at the end when Mika tempted fate and put his leg on the barrier right in front of Luke....well frankly, when everyone else started feeling him up it would have been rude not to. :wub2: I had to manhandle Theresa a little so that she could reach but she managed a quick rub of his leg. :wink2::naughty:

The gig was great................he didn't stick to the set list ( he didn't do Lola /Underwater or WAG which were on the list) but he did do Elle me Dit which was a huge surprise - and great. Obviously with being as close as that we all got our share of eye contact/smiles etc. :mikalove:

He was never going to be doing much of the new stuff as this was a freebie/TV thing - so it was mostly the old favourites with EMD/Origin/Celebrate thrown in.

It was an incredible atmosphere....everyone was singing along and dancing.

Afterwards it was relatively calm and Mika did some signing/photos. He seemed a little quiet....but I am sure he was completely knackered as it had been an incredibly energetic performance.

All in all a brilliant day.

Thanks again to everyone :huglove:

I'm so happy for you guys...:huglove:

And he saying he doesn't read your book till the end oz he doesn't like reading things about himself is bull****...:naughty:

I know he stalks wonkaland daily...:mf_rosetinted::lmfao:

I'm so happy for you guys...:huglove:

And he saying he doesn't read your book till the end oz he doesn't like reading things about himself is bull****...:naughty:

I know he stalks wonkaland daily...:mf_rosetinted::lmfao:

I know :mf_rosetinted:

But at least he is still speaking to me :wink2::naughty:

I still have to get and read that book...

But if I were Mika, I'd stay away from this forum (and I guess also the book) as far as I could, except perhaps for Wonkaland. If he has any sense of humour he'd appreciate that one :naughty:

You wrote a lovely report, by the way. Thank you!

I still have to get and read that book...

But if I were Mika, I'd stay away from this forum (and I guess also the book) as far as I could, except perhaps for Wonkaland. If he has any sense of humour he'd appreciate that one :naughty:

You wrote a lovely report, by the way. Thank you!

Yeah.............well quite. I always had mixed feelings about giving Mika the book...because a lot of it is very personal and I knew he would recognise it. However...as I say....at least he is still speaking to me so for that I can be grateful.

Thanks Irene, it was a great day. :thumb_yello:

Yeah.............well quite. I always had mixed feelings about giving Mika the book...because a lot of it is very personal and I knew he would recognise it. However...as I say....at least he is still speaking to me so for that I can be grateful.

Thanks Irene, it was a great day. :thumb_yello:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He gets far weirder stuff from fans. And even though reading it might make him feel uncomfortable, I'm sure he appreciates the emotions behind it.

Are you suggestinghe won't speak to me in nov???:shun:

Lucky thing is he doesn't relate the 42 yo mom that talks to him after the gigs to the crazy maniac who created wonkaland...:teehee::naughty::mikacool:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He gets far weirder stuff from fans. And even though reading it might make him feel uncomfortable, I'm sure he appreciates the emotions behind it.

Well, I was squirmimg in embarassment whilst he was talking about it but I think I heard the word 'impressed'.......................I will chose to believe that anyway unless any of the others clarify that that wasn't what he said. :naughty:

Are you suggestinghe won't speak to me in nov???:shun:

Lucky thing is he doesn't relate the 42 yo mom that talks to him after the gigs to the crazy maniac who created wonkaland...:teehee::naughty::mikacool:

'Cause he will speak to you - he wouldn't dare not :mf_rosetinted::wink2:

No................you look quite normal in real life :thumb_yello::aah:

Good to see you're home safely Kath. :thumb_yello:

Colm Hayes (the compere from last night) while describing Mika on radio this morning to another dj ,said Mika was a tall gangly lad with curly hair. The other dj asked if he could hit the high notes while singing live or was it all down to auto tune on cds and Colm replied that it was down to auto tune and very tight pants. :teehee:

Hello :bye:

I am just back home. Firstly....a huge thank you to Theresa for being a fantastic host and for putting in a lot of work and effort to do her very best to ensure that we all got to see Mika yesterday. I know it was a headache :insane: for a few weeks and I am SO delighted that it all worked out brilliantly for us all.

:huglove:

As ever, it was lovely to see old friends again and to meet new MFCers - well, not new members but ones that I haven't met before.

I agree that it would have been amazing to see Mika in the small pub but everything was so incredibly guarded -it was just impossible to get info. As we walksed to the market bar we passed one of the other larger venues and the security guards weren't letting slip who was playing there. Rose was right in saying that we would never have managed both gigs anyway - well, not front row. But I also agree with Christine's point that the opportunity to see him perform in a pub would have been incredible.....but it wasn't to be and we certainly can't complain about what we experienced at The Market Bar.

Luke, Buttons, Theresa and I headed into Dublin City Centre around about lunchtime. We were just walking across the river -well, a bridge to be honest :wink2: when Theresa and Luke recieved their texts to say that the gig would be at The Market Inn. We headed there, initially with the idea of just finding the place then going and sitting in a bar nearby. However, when we arrived we could hear that Mika and the Gospel Choir were soundchecking so obviously we stayed. It was slightly frustrating as the doors were open, so we could hear perfectly but were unable to see. We did try every trick in the book to get in but weren't having any luck. :aah: However, it was incredible. To be perfectly honest.....the acoustics/sound during the gig were not good.....and he didn't do Underwater, although he had sounchecked it....so we almost got a better experience sound wise in the afternoon. Anyway, after that (Origin and Underwater were the two stand out tracks from teh soundcheck) we naturally waited for Mika to leave as there was a minibus sat waiting for him. When he came out he was happy to chat and he signed Theresa's CD and Luke's magazine. Button's asked him if he had read my book. He said that he had it at home in his collection and that he had read some of it but not all of it as 'I don't like reading that stuff about myself' :mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

Mika then left. We had been told that doors would open at four and by this point it wasn't really that long until four. So we decided to stay put. However....things didn't go to plan. There were health and safety issues - one of the security staff told us that it had actually come very close to not going ahead :blink:. Anyway - we finally got in about 6 15. It was incredible really.........we got wrist bands fitted individualy, which meant that we all strolled sedately in, one by one. Theresa was in first and as I followed her round the corner into the gig room I saw her not racing to the front of the satge but at the bar with a pint of Guiness in her hand! It was hilarious....we just walked slowly to the front...and were then joined by Buttons and Luke.....I have never known anything like it!

I will post this now beofre it is too long..............

When I saw this bolded bit, I was reminded of that dinner in France where we were talking about whether he would read it, and what I said :naughty:

Thanks for the report Kath. That is funny about your book. I'm sure he at least had his "assistant" read it. :mf_rosetinted:

The venue looked awesome, exactly like my first gig in Toronto years ago. Remember how we used to fret about Mika's growing fame and those early experiences being gone forever but it's amazing how the opportunities still come up often if you stay plugged in to what Mika is doing and are willing to travel a bit.

With the sound did you find it was too quiet, especially Mika's vocals? I had that experience twice and it was in venues with no barriers. The sound was being projected behind us because we were too close to the stage. It was so low I could only hear Mika if he was physically close enough to hear him without the mic. It was a strange thing and was more like beibg backstage instead of the typical loud distorted sound you get when the venue's sound is just generally bad.

Good to see you're home safely Kath. :thumb_yello:

Colm Hayes (the compere from last night) while describing Mika on radio this morning to another dj ,said Mika was a tall gangly lad with curly hair. The other dj asked if he could hit the high notes while singing live or was it all down to auto tune on cds and Colm replied that it was down to auto tune and very tight pants. :teehee:

Well I wouldn't disagree about the tight trousers but damned cheek about auto tune :shocked:

How are you and Buttons doing? Managing to stay awake? I keep popping the caffein pills!

I'm just crazy inside my head...:loco::mikacool:

:thumb_yello::mf_rosetinted:

When I saw this bolded bit, I was reminded of that dinner in France where we were talking about whether he would read it, and what I said :naughty:

Remind me what you said please....I've slept since then! :wink2:

Thanks for the report Kath. That is funny about your book. I'm sure he at least had his "assistant" read it. :mf_rosetinted:

The venue looked awesome, exactly like my first gig in Toronto years ago. Remember how we used to fret about Mika's growing fame and those early experiences being gone forever but it's amazing how the opportunities still come up often if you stay plugged in to what Mika is doing and are willing to travel a bit.

With the sound did you find it was too quiet, especially Mika's vocals? I had that experience twice and it was in venues with no barriers. The sound was being projected behind us because we were too close to the stage. It was so low I could only hear Mika if he was physically close enough to hear him without the mic. It was a strange thing and was more like beibg backstage instead of the typical loud distorted sound you get when the venue's sound is just generally bad.

Yes, quite. That is what I thought - over the years there have been small gigs, big gigs, huge gigs, great venues, the occasional tacky venue...you just never know when a little Gem is going to come up. :wink2: The same as the little meeting with him in the afternoon when there were just the four of us....we hadn't anticipated that - certainly hadn't expected it....but it is always a delight when things like that happen.

The sound...well, I thought that was exactly the problem, that we were just too close.....but as I say, reports from further back weren't any better. Not sure if it was the acoustics of the building....or possibly just not very good quality sound equipment ...as there were several artists playing I don't think it was Mika's equipment - instruments, yes, but not all the other stuff. :dunno:

The same as the little meeting with him in the afternoon when there were just the four of us....we hadn't anticipated that - certainly hadn't expected it....but it is always a delight when things like that happen.

Yes that's why the secret/mystery element can be frustrating before the fact but it almost always leads to great surprises. I was trying to reassure Treasa that these things always work out although it's much easier to take that attitude when it's not your fate in question! :naughty:

So many times the long planned events have just been okay for me even if they sound great on paper but the most amazing moments have just happened by chance or were last minute surprises. You just have to go with it.

Yes that's why the secret/mystery element can be frustrating before the fact but it almost always leads to great surprises. I was trying to reassure Treasa that these things always work out although it's much easier to take that attitude when it's not your fate in question! :naughty:

So many times the long planned events have just been okay for me even if they sound great on paper but the most amazing moments have just happened by chance or were last minute surprises. You just have to go with it.

Yes, quite. I have become a lot more laid back about these things over the years. I just go with the flow these days and if nice things happen then so be it.

Yes, it was a stressful time for Theresa :insane: So pleased it worked out though.

Well I wouldn't disagree about the tight trousers but damned cheek about auto tune :shocked:

How are you and Buttons doing? Managing to stay awake? I keep popping the caffein pills!

:thumb_yello::mf_rosetinted:

Remind me what you said please....I've slept since then! :wink2:

Yes, quite. That is what I thought - over the years there have been small gigs, big gigs, huge gigs, great venues, the occasional tacky venue...you just never know when a little Gem is going to come up. :wink2: The same as the little meeting with him in the afternoon when there were just the four of us....we hadn't anticipated that - certainly hadn't expected it....but it is always a delight when things like that happen.

The sound...well, I thought that was exactly the problem, that we were just too close.....but as I say, reports from further back weren't any better. Not sure if it was the acoustics of the building....or possibly just not very good quality sound equipment ...as there were several artists playing I don't think it was Mika's equipment - instruments, yes, but not all the other stuff. :dunno:

He's so vain, he probably thinks that book is about him :naughty:

He's so vain, he probably thinks that book is about him :naughty:

Oh yes!!!! :naughty: That's right....I recall us having hysterics over that one now! Good job you wern't there yesterday then - we might have collasped in a heap laughing :aah::naughty:

Here's my video for Elle Me Dit, It's pretty awful!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I'm just getting a plain white screen :shocked:

Lovely to meet you too Claire, hope to see you again soon. :biggrin2: Brilliant pictures. :thumb_yello:

I'm just getting a plain white screen :shocked:

Lovely to meet you too Claire, hope to see you again soon. :biggrin2: Brilliant pictures. :thumb_yello:

i was getting a white screen too

EDIT: this worked :kachinga:

Here's my video for Elle Me Dit, It's pretty awful!

[YOUTUBE]AGUIVHH_9lM[/YOUTUBE]

EXCELLENT VIDEO :drool: T4P Luke!

if only he was wearing a kilt