Critic reviews of The Origin Of Love

robertina

Austria:

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/themen_channel/musik/pop_rock_jazz/493063_Party-in-der-Grosshirnrinde.html

And I'm not sure about it...it's quite...strange :blink:, but I think it shall be a positive one...:teehee:

Can you see a comment? Yesterday I wrote a comment to them because I can´t cope with this kind of humor.

Can you see a comment? Yesterday I wrote a comment to them because I can´t cope with this kind of humor.

I saw it :thumb_yello:

I didn't even understand everything they wrote...never read such a strange critic before :blink:

I think the author has taken drugs before it was written...

I saw it :thumb_yello:

I didn't even understand everything they wrote...never read such a strange critic before :blink:

I think the author has taken drugs before it was written...

So write a comment too, we can´t do enough to paint Mika in a better picture.

Arjan Writes‏@arjanwrites

Album Review: @mikasounds "The Origin Of Love" http://arjanwrit.es/QsKoh2

Album Review: Mika 'The Origin Of Love'

There's a whole lot more to Mika than the exuberant and brightly-colored hyper pop that marked his debut album that exploded on the scene back in 2007. His much-anticipated new album "The Origin Of Love" is solid proof of that. Delivering both style and substance, Mika ventures into adventurous new sonic territory that pushes his sound into an exciting new direction while managing to incorporate the joyful qualities that is so quintessential Mika. The combination of Mika's accomplished soundboard experimentations, finely-tuned pop melodies and his candid, relatable storytelling make "The Origin Of Love" without a doubt of one of the best pop albums of 2012.

Instead of going down a familiar path following his previous two records, Mika decided to switch things up and collaborate with a new group of writers and producers to help trigger new inspirations and artistic insights. The result of his teaming with people like Nick Littlemore, Greg Wells and Jodi Marr is a sound that Mika fittingly describes as "classy pop" with a "lightness of touch" to it. It's a perfect description for his refreshing new pop sound that is clearly a reflection of his personal harmony and rejuvenated state of mind that lingers throughout the album.

The album kicks off with its enchanting title track that neatly introduces that LP's sound and sets the tone for entire record. Ruled by a wonderfully glowing chorus, "The Origin Of Love" is a timeless pop song and a powerful declaration of love. "From the air I breathe to the love I need. You're the origin of love," Mika cheers.

"The Origin Of Love" is followed the playful "Lola" that captures a soulful vibe with its warming retro undertones that get a contemporary twist with some sparkling synths in the chorus. Mika turns up the dancefloor energy with "Stardust," a magnificent pop potion he concocted with Wayne Hector, Benny Benassi and producer Greg Wells. The song is an irresistible piece of euphoria that has Mika freely spreading his happy confetti all over with lyrics like, "I can put a little stardust in your eyes, put a little sunshine in your life, I wanna know, will I see you again."

"Stardust" gently segues into "Make You Happy" that was one of the first songs that introduced Mika's new project. Masterfully produced by Nick Littlemore, the song is packed with savvy vocal effects to create a gently textured backdrop for Mika's emo-laden lyrics. The singer wears his heart on his sleeve, crying out, "undervalued I can be far from the truth" and "can't you see the the love around you, you're crazy not to take it."

Mike continues to explore love on the emotive piano ballad "Underwater" that paints a poetic metaphor about love being the ultimate saviour. "I know you're amazing because all I need is the love you breathe," Mika sings. "Put your lips on me and I can live underwater."

The singer pushes his artistic boundaries on the rave-pop romp "Overrated" that was co-written by Jodi Marr and co-produced by Klas Ahlund (Robyn). It's a wildly unique brew with a bubbling bass, saucy synths and Mika's soaring, glam-rock vocals that takes his cheerful brand of pop into a whole new dancefloor direction that fits him well. More highlights follow including the feel-good "Love You When I'm Drunk" and the happy-go-lucky "Popular Song" that is a rap/sing collaboration with Priscilla Renea.

"Popular Song" is another track that demonstrates that Mika wasn't hesitant to try something new, stretching his vocals while telling a story about the importance of understanding who you are and where you came from. "I know about popular," Mika sings. "It’s not about who you are or your fancy car. You're only ever who you were.""The Origin Of Love" also includes "Emily" that is the English language version of "Elle Me Dit" that was released as a single in Europe last summer.

The album concludes on a fitting highnote with Mika's current hit single, "Celebrate" that he crafted with Pharrell Williams. The style and meaning of the song perfectly sum up Mika's intent with "The Origin Of Love." It's a hopeful record about the joy of love that also celebrates Mika's effort to challenge himself creatively. Despite the album's left-field leanings, Mika never strays too far from the essence of his distinct brand of pop that make him one of the most inspiring people in pop today. Five out of five stars. (Click here to download Mika "The Origin Of Love" on iTunes.)

October 17, 2012 | Permalink

Arjan Writes‏@arjanwrites

Album Review: @mikasounds "The Origin Of Love" http://arjanwrit.es/QsKoh2

Album Review: Mika 'The Origin Of Love'

There's a whole lot more to Mika than the exuberant and brightly-colored hyper pop that marked his debut album that exploded on the scene back in 2007. His much-anticipated new album "The Origin Of Love" is solid proof of that. Delivering both style and substance, Mika ventures into adventurous new sonic territory that pushes his sound into an exciting new direction while managing to incorporate the joyful qualities that is so quintessential Mika. The combination of Mika's accomplished soundboard experimentations, finely-tuned pop melodies and his candid, relatable storytelling make "The Origin Of Love" without a doubt of one of the best pop albums of 2012.

Instead of going down a familiar path following his previous two records, Mika decided to switch things up and collaborate with a new group of writers and producers to help trigger new inspirations and artistic insights. The result of his teaming with people like Nick Littlemore, Greg Wells and Jodi Marr is a sound that Mika fittingly describes as "classy pop" with a "lightness of touch" to it. It's a perfect description for his refreshing new pop sound that is clearly a reflection of his personal harmony and rejuvenated state of mind that lingers throughout the album.

The album kicks off with its enchanting title track that neatly introduces that LP's sound and sets the tone for entire record. Ruled by a wonderfully glowing chorus, "The Origin Of Love" is a timeless pop song and a powerful declaration of love. "From the air I breathe to the love I need. You're the origin of love," Mika cheers.

"The Origin Of Love" is followed the playful "Lola" that captures a soulful vibe with its warming retro undertones that get a contemporary twist with some sparkling synths in the chorus. Mika turns up the dancefloor energy with "Stardust," a magnificent pop potion he concocted with Wayne Hector, Benny Benassi and producer Greg Wells. The song is an irresistible piece of euphoria that has Mika freely spreading his happy confetti all over with lyrics like, "I can put a little stardust in your eyes, put a little sunshine in your life, I wanna know, will I see you again."

"Stardust" gently segues into "Make You Happy" that was one of the first songs that introduced Mika's new project. Masterfully produced by Nick Littlemore, the song is packed with savvy vocal effects to create a gently textured backdrop for Mika's emo-laden lyrics. The singer wears his heart on his sleeve, crying out, "undervalued I can be far from the truth" and "can't you see the the love around you, you're crazy not to take it."

Mike continues to explore love on the emotive piano ballad "Underwater" that paints a poetic metaphor about love being the ultimate saviour. "I know you're amazing because all I need is the love you breathe," Mika sings. "Put your lips on me and I can live underwater."

The singer pushes his artistic boundaries on the rave-pop romp "Overrated" that was co-written by Jodi Marr and co-produced by Klas Ahlund (Robyn). It's a wildly unique brew with a bubbling bass, saucy synths and Mika's soaring, glam-rock vocals that takes his cheerful brand of pop into a whole new dancefloor direction that fits him well. More highlights follow including the feel-good "Love You When I'm Drunk" and the happy-go-lucky "Popular Song" that is a rap/sing collaboration with Priscilla Renea.

"Popular Song" is another track that demonstrates that Mika wasn't hesitant to try something new, stretching his vocals while telling a story about the importance of understanding who you are and where you came from. "I know about popular," Mika sings. "It’s not about who you are or your fancy car. You're only ever who you were.""The Origin Of Love" also includes "Emily" that is the English language version of "Elle Me Dit" that was released as a single in Europe last summer.

The album concludes on a fitting highnote with Mika's current hit single, "Celebrate" that he crafted with Pharrell Williams. The style and meaning of the song perfectly sum up Mika's intent with "The Origin Of Love." It's a hopeful record about the joy of love that also celebrates Mika's effort to challenge himself creatively. Despite the album's left-field leanings, Mika never strays too far from the essence of his distinct brand of pop that make him one of the most inspiring people in pop today. Five out of five stars. (Click here to download Mika "The Origin Of Love" on iTunes.)

October 17, 2012 | Permalink

Thank you so much for posting it here. I can´t open it because my browsers refuse to work as soon as I try it.

It´s such a good review, I love to read it!

MIKA explores complex love on Origin

By Sheridan watson · Daily Trojan

Posted Yesterday at 9:03 pm in Featured, Lifestyle, Music

When looking back on their younger years, people often tend to recoil in embarrassment over how immature — and even superficial — they might have been (for some, quoting Avril Lavigne lyrics on Facebook originally seemed so profound).

Thankfully, people tend to grow as the years pass, something that MIKA illustrates all too well on his third studio album, The Origin of Love.

The Boy Who Knew Too Much · Lebanese-French-British singer MIKA proves to listeners that he understands mature emotions on his third and highly anticipated album, The Origin of Love. – | Photo courtesy of Girlie Action Media

It’s a heavy title for one album to live up to, but MIKA is not one to shy away from a challenge. After blazing onto the scene with his monstrosity of a freshman album, Life in Cartoon Motion, MIKA followed up the beautiful masterpiece with The Boy Who Knew Too Much. Though a tad less successful commercially, The Boy Who Knew Too Much still showcased MIKA’s incredible songwriting talents.

The Lebanese-French-British singer is no one-trick pony. Writing each lyric, composing each note and even drawing the artwork for his album covers, MIKA is one of the most hands-on artists around. It’s important to keep this in mind while listening to his latest record: If you’ve been with MIKA since his “Grace Kelly” days, then chances are you will be oddly disappointed with his newfound pseudo-synth sound.

That’s not to say that The Origin of Love is bad — in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Alternately operatic, moving and dance-inducing, the album is a triumph. It’s just unfortunate that MIKA had to abandon his previous fun style in order to get there.

Opening with the George Michael-esque “Origin of Love,” the album gets off to an upbeat start. MIKA’s true talent has always been pairing rather depressing lyrics with fun beats and the beginning track is no different.

Lyrics like “Well if God is a priest and the devil is a slut / Well that’s a reason for loving / Like every word that you preach / Like every word that you teach / With every rule that you breach / You know the origin is you” show evidence of the talented singer’s careful consideration. Yet with a fun techno and piano backing, “The Origin of Love” doesn’t feel ridiculous, but fresh.

The album’s next few songs, however, sound oddly alike — a trend not found in MIKA’s older music. Even though the songs are pretty standardized, one cannot complain about their individual quality since they stand well together and on their own.

But the world seems to stop spinning the moment the fourth track, “Make You Happy,” begins to play. Describing the song as masterful would not be an exaggeration; it’d be rare to find such a masterpiece on any pop album around today.

“Maybe you can’t hear me / But I feel like screaming when you’re near me / Save me from your theories / At the very least just let me cry on you” are lyrics that one usually does not dance to. But again MIKA manages to put together a sense of happiness — the listener doesn’t know whether to cry or dance.

Thankfully, the album isn’t all depressing. MIKA seems to be having the most fun on his Wicked-inspired “Popular Song.” Using the same chorus backing, MIKA changes the lyrics to “I know about popular / It’s not about who you are or your fancy car / You’re only ever who you were / Popular, I know about popular.”

And for those who thought that his spring-released single “Elle Ma Dit” wasn’t going to make it onto the singer’s album, not only does MIKA include the track, but he also wrote an English version titled “Emily.”

The Origin of Love will probably not excite the listener on the first — or even third — listen. Instead, it’s one of those gems that simply sneaks up on you. More than just a collection of songs — refreshing compared to the single-obsessed industry that one is exposed to nowadays — The Origin of Love is the physical manifestation of looking at the big picture. All of the album’s songs, though they might share similarities, deal with largely different topics, but all unite under the main umbrella theme of love.

MIKA certainly provides all facets of the crazy phenomenon known as love. Ranging from adult disapproval of young, idealized visions of love (“Kids”) to hilarious descriptions of love gone wrong (“Love You When I’m Drunk”), the album leaves no stones unturned, no questions left unanswered. The man feels inspired, and he’s going to let the world know.

It’d be surprising if The Origin of Love wasn’t MIKA’s biggest hit to date. By utilizing the ever-so-popular techno style that’s dominated airwaves recently will probably open MIKA up to a whole new audience that had previously scoffed at his high screeches and tunes about made up characters.

This time, however, the only character is MIKA himself. He’s matured, and he’s ready to talk about big boy stuff now.

“All I wanna do is make you happy,” MIKA sings.

On The Origin of Love, MIKA does.

http://dailytrojan.com/2012/10/17/mika-explores-complex-love-on-origin/

• 2 weeks later...

I like this one:

MIKA - The Origin of Love

Style: Scissor Sister's meets Owl City meets theater

Pros: Better than I thought

Cons: A bit Pop for my tastes.

Overview: Mika doesn't really fit into my realm of music tastes, but I listened to The Origin of Love a couple times and I was like, "Well, might as well review it." So if I offend you Mika fans, don't digress. I actually like the first few songs off the album...and a few other ones... thought they sounded pretty cool. The other songs ventured in a much more Pop direction, with very teenage lyrics and became more camp. Anyways, I thought it was a nice listen and I'll recommend it.

3 out of 5 vinyls

http://www.motionselect.com/2012/10/album-review-mika-origin-of-love.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A collection of reviews from various pop music bloggers from around the world:

Popledge: I am hoping Mika has produced something more up my street; I really enjoyed his debut album, songs ‘Relax (Take It Easy)’, ‘Lollipop’ and ‘Big Girls’ still enjoy a high rotation on my iPod. Can we just talk the album cover for a moment, I know he has now ‘come out’ but why have two men come all over the top of his head? Surely just telling people was enough!

First track ‘Origin of Love’ divides me right down the middle, the vocal effects I am not a fan of, his voice doesn’t need those distortion effects placed on it. On the other hand it has epic moments which sound love thousands of monks chanting the song out – two production ‘moments’ but only one of them works for me. I am hoping it sets out the theme of the album though which is ‘love is great.’! Lola is a lovely little track, very quaint, it has a ‘bobbing along’ beat to it complete with hand-clapping moments, simple yet effective pop music. ‘Stardust’ picks up the pace a little, the Benny Benassi track shows off the highest of high notes Mika can hit, it’s a mid-tempo dance affair, I can imagine it being played at Ibiza parties. Not the strongest track on the album though, I don’t think I relate it to Mika as much as the other tracks, it needs a few little tweaks to be better.

I dare anyone to listen to ‘Underwater’ and not think of Adele’s ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ – surely she could sue the composer of Mika’s song! It’s a rip off of the same piano riff and chords! After the first 1.25 of Adele homage the track then moves into ‘Hurts’ territory – it’s an odd track, I wouldn’t say there is anything to not like about it but it just doesn’t ‘click’ with me, again that sprinkling of gold is missing. I would love to know who or what ‘Overrated’ is aimed towards, I can think of a few things and people that are overrated! Namely anyone involved with reality TV or who is ‘famous’ for doing sod all. The track features some club/dance moments and also shows us how low Mika’s voice can go – this man really has such as range. I really liked the production on this track, it built into a nice sounding layered effect of Mika’s voice – I hope he got out his frustrations by singing this one!

‘Kids’ I also really liked, it was a totally change of pace, we’ve gone from ‘happy love’ to Mika facing a situation with a lover who shouts things at him that ‘only kids would say.’ This track really got to me on a emotional level, his vocals just sound so sad and the end of a relationship is always so gut-wrenching, you really get a sense of that feeling through the track…it’s a little reminder that people can be really mean to each other. Boom! We have now done a 180 into ‘Love You When I’m Drunk’ – to me this is the most similar track to his debut album back in 2006, lots of kooky lyrics and almost child-like bears, basically the title tells the story of the tune, every time he sobers up Mika falls out of love with this guy. It’s a humorous moment in the album, and again something most people can relate too – the beer goggle effect!!

This album keeps getting better! Why isn’t ‘Step With Me’ a single already? Such a cute love song – it deserves to be in a Disney movie! It sums up the feelings I want/hope for in love – just so cute – a video with little chirpy birds flying around Mika’s head is in order…oh gosh it’s just so cute…like bathing in warm chocolate with your lover!! Who is the lady singing though it doesn’t say on the album listing! ‘Popular Song’ also features a lovely lady rapper and vocalist, it’s in a similar vein to ‘Step With Me’ – we have really strayed into pop territory now and I love it! I know some people will really dislike this section of Mika’s album but I love it! As I’m listening through this album I understand that Mika has tried to move his music forward with the first half of the LP, this second half is much more ‘old school’ Mika, next track ‘Emily’ is also very poppy and totally reminds me of ‘Big Girl’ from the beats in the track. Yep the second half of this LP is going straight on my iPod!‘Heroes’ is a lovely track which I’m guessing is Mika’s take on young people going off to war? It’s actually a really sad song about blood and the devils in your head. It’s refreshing to hear a modern take on our forces though. Oh yuck ‘Celebrate’ finishes the album? Upon hearing this single I really liked it, then after three listens it bored me…filler pop with no depth..it seems like the sort of song a record company would ‘force’ you to include to plug the album…skip. An album of two halves…both good but the later half is right up my street!! *TOP PICK*

Taking Over the Universe: I. Love. Mika. I also love this album. It is exactly what I was hoping and praying for from him, and he has delivered once again. The thing about Mika the listener understands is this guy is a creative genius, and he rarely takes things too seriously. That's why many of the tracks on the album are lighthearted and fun. Even when he has bad news to tell, he's just so damn cheerful and upbeat when he does it that it rarely affects the mood of the song. This guy could tell you a story about a puppy that died of cancer and you'd still have a smile on your face. He's that good. The standout track of the whole bunch is "Underwater", with "Love You When I'm Drunk" coming in at a close second with it's amazing relatability. I mean everyone has made that beer-goggles mistake before, right? How dare you say I'm an alcoholic.

The Pop Messiah: This will be the first time I have ever listened to a Mika album all the way through. I’ve been hearing great things about “The Origin of Love” but if I’m being honest I was a little bit disappointed that the title track was NOT a glorious cover of the best track from musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Luckily, Mika redeems himself by sampling “Popular” from Broadway’s Wicked on a track by the same name. Overall, this album falls somewhere near (but not quite on) Scissor Sisters territory in the pop spectrum. Mika vocals often sound derivative of harmonic 1970’s acts like The Bee Gees and this brand of soft vocal styling floats nicely between flamboyant dance pop and sweet mid-tempo balladry. Standouts for me are the jovial “Stardust,” previously mentioned “Popular” and “Underwater,” which is this albums “Set Fire to the Rain” (as in an emotionally rich and gorgeous masterpiece.) Overall, “The Origin of Love” is a very nice surprise!

Unapologetically POP!: I was unable to listen to The Origin of Love from start to finish, therefore, my review will be somewhat incomplete. However, what I have heard of the album is polarizing- songs like "Make You Happy" are profoundly irritating, while "Celebrate," "Lola," & "Overrated" are positively phenomenal POP songs. I'm happy to say that Mika is enjoying a good amount of airplay here in Israel, especially "Celebrate," which I hear at many trendy coffee shops. Mika really needs to reconsider which tracks he releases as singles; "Make You Happy" & "The Origin of Love" are as nagging as "Overrated" is light & dancey (if released as a single & properly promoted, "Overrated" would surely sore in hipster neighborhoods like mine). Nevertheless, I have never enjoyed a collection of Mika songs so much, and it is so damn good to hear Klas Ahlund again. The Origin of Love is hit or miss, but it is definitely my favorite Mika album thus far.

Techno School: I didn't know what to expect out of The Origin of Love, and I was delightfully surprised. Granted, MIKA caters to my personal tastes more than some other artists, which helps. The title song, which opens the album, brings it with a bouncy piano introduction, constant references to smoking (the good kind and the better kind), and a full chorus of vocals worthy of an adaptation on Glee. From then on the album was hit or miss, with mostly hits. "Stardust" felt like a last-ditch effort to make an electro-driven pop song, with its echoey vocals, grandiose lyrical theme, and sparkly .....And it seems especially misplaced on an album that has a fantastic techno song on it: "Overrated". I really cannot get over that song. Each chorus is filled with Calvin Harris-esque chimes that are followed by poignant synth melodies. MIKA's exasperated but slow delivery of the vocals over this beat just ties everything together and makes "Overrated" my favorite track of the lot. "Make You Happy", with its distorted autotune and plentiful warm chime tones, makes it another great techno track. There are also tracks to please my folksy side, like the lighthearted "Kids" and the Jason Mraz-y "Step With Me", but they honestly belong on their own album. Oh and can I just mention that the pseudo-cover-with-some-alternate-lyrics thing is IN? Both MIKA (here with "Popular Song") and Labrinth (with "Express Yourself") pulled the same move this month! *TOP PICK*

Vertigo Shtick: If this album had ended halfway through, I probably would have a more positive judgment to share here, and I imagine if I had I would have been in plenty of company from my fellow panelists and critics at large. The music here is fine, often well above average, and occasionally scraping greatness. The electronic production is so dense and lush and immediately satisfying I wish I could relax immersed in it for a half hour or so like a sonic hot tub. Unfortunately it proved a considerable challenge balancing the good of the music with a performer/character who increasingly got under my skin. At the outset I took on a bemused but tolerant stance toward a vocalist who to me was laying it on a little thick, but then maybe it's a European thing. I'd say I'm quite a bit more than three steps from loving Mika, but then the last guy I fell in love with was a bust, so what do I know? Despite all my efforts to overcome this personal distaste, Mika lost me when he and some Eurocamp not-Nicki-Minaj gal started singing Wicked. I mean, this is the guy who wrote “Gang Bang” for Madonna. Eleventh hour track “Emily” is a perfect example of my overall response to The Origin of Love: it sounds great, until I start paying attention to what's going on (personally, I fully support the yelling at him in French strategy). In fact, I probably would have loved this album if it were sung entirely in French (luckily "Emily" exists in its original French as "Elle Me Dit"). By the time the perfectly enjoyable single “Celebrate” rolled around to close things out I fear it was too little, too late for me. But hey, I bought the album at Amazon's Black Friday discount price, and I intend to give it a few more shots at my heart.

SmartPopScott: I was a little bit late to the MIKA party. Back in 2007/8 when "Grace Kelly" and "Love Today" were blowing up here, I was completely uninterested in anything so saccharine. But when I had my pop awakening a few years later, Life in Cartoon Motion was one of the albums that blew me away. Because I wasn’t into him when he was popular, I tend to forget that he was ever a household name. I tend to associate him with other Power-Pop acts like Jellyfish, Drake Bell, or Paul Steel. So when his name was included on this month’s panel, I was pleasantly surprised. The four against three rhythmic displacement of "Make You Happy" is not really something I anticipate encountering on albums on this panel, but it’s certainly welcome!

Not abandoning his sweetness and camp entirely, MIKA does sound more serious on this album, and with that comes an even closer attention to craft and melody. The songs are beautifully arranged and musically interesting while playing even more towards a mainstream dance-pop sound. I was especially keen on his interpolation of Steven Schwartz’s Popular, though I’m skeptical about if this is the right time in his career to have a “you made fun of me in high school but now I’m popular!” song. And "Emily," which was adapted into English from his French song "Elle Me Dit" is very great. I love his choice to translate based on the sound, rather than the meaning. ("Elle Me Dit" means “She Tells Me”, but instead, he makes it “Emily” which retains a similar syllable and sound structure). When "Celebrate" was initially released as a single, I was a little bit underwhelmed. I’m a huge Pharrell fan and was hoping the song had the potential to be a huge hit. It doesn’t, but placed as the last track of the album, it feels perfect. Every time I get to it, I get an overwhelming sense of completion and satisfaction. It sums up the album perfectly.

http://www.vertigoshtick.com/2012/11/popologist-panel-brandy-mika-labrinth-solange-madeon-reviews.html

I like this one. It's nice to read a positive review from someone who haven't even heard about Mika before :original:

http://mvremix.com/rock_blogs/2012/11/mika-origin-of-love-album-review/

It shows how out of step I am with the pop music world that I had never heard of Mika. Upon hearing the name I pictured an indie princess strumming her guitar through hipper-than-thou mopey songs, for some reason. Instead, I find myself confronted by a gay British boy with a Freddie Mercury fixation and a gaggle of unapologetic pop songs. Thank God! While apparently quite the sensation in Europe he never managed to break in America.

I can sort of see why America would be less embracing. While comparisons to Mercury are obvious in listening to him sing, his voice is a lot thinner. He’s not going to belt out the showstoppers like a Lady Gaga. Mika manages to accommodate this in his songs. Sometimes through electronic trickery, like the chorus effect on opener “Origin of Love”, but mostly by sticking to relatively low key material that doesn’t demand a bigger personality than he can provide.

This should not be viewed as any kind of insult to his songs. Everything on here is good to great and mostly the latter. Thankfully he doesn’t stick to electronics the whole time. The album opens with back to back songs based around simple piano plinks and the drums, while programmed, sound organic. I can actually see a real band playing these without endless backing tracks. In a world where dance electronica has taken over it’s nice to be reminded that someone can still write a fresh fun pop song without a bass drop. There’s still plenty of club numbers on here, like “Stardust” or “Overrated”, but he keeps them polite enough to fit in with the rest of the album.

“Polite” is a good way to summarize the album, and I mean that as a compliment. There’s an innocence to this album that a lot of stuff doesn’t have these days. So much pop mires itself in an ugly, base sexuality that I find horribly off-putting. Even when singing about flings, like “Love You When I’m Drunk”, it’s still cute and harmless. It’s also perfect pop confection. If you don’t own this you’re wrong.

I like this one. It's nice to read a positive review from someone who haven't even heard about Mika before :original:

http://mvremix.com/rock_blogs/2012/11/mika-origin-of-love-album-review/

It shows how out of step I am with the pop music world that I had never heard of Mika. Upon hearing the name I pictured an indie princess strumming her guitar through hipper-than-thou mopey songs, for some reason. Instead, I find myself confronted by a gay British boy with a Freddie Mercury fixation and a gaggle of unapologetic pop songs. Thank God! While apparently quite the sensation in Europe he never managed to break in America.

I can sort of see why America would be less embracing. While comparisons to Mercury are obvious in listening to him sing, his voice is a lot thinner. He’s not going to belt out the showstoppers like a Lady Gaga. Mika manages to accommodate this in his songs. Sometimes through electronic trickery, like the chorus effect on opener “Origin of Love”, but mostly by sticking to relatively low key material that doesn’t demand a bigger personality than he can provide.

This should not be viewed as any kind of insult to his songs. Everything on here is good to great and mostly the latter. Thankfully he doesn’t stick to electronics the whole time. The album opens with back to back songs based around simple piano plinks and the drums, while programmed, sound organic. I can actually see a real band playing these without endless backing tracks. In a world where dance electronica has taken over it’s nice to be reminded that someone can still write a fresh fun pop song without a bass drop. There’s still plenty of club numbers on here, like “Stardust” or “Overrated”, but he keeps them polite enough to fit in with the rest of the album.

“Polite” is a good way to summarize the album, and I mean that as a compliment. There’s an innocence to this album that a lot of stuff doesn’t have these days. So much pop mires itself in an ugly, base sexuality that I find horribly off-putting. Even when singing about flings, like “Love You When I’m Drunk”, it’s still cute and harmless. It’s also perfect pop confection. If you don’t own this you’re wrong.

Aww, love that review, Milda! Thanks! :wub2:

Upon hearing the name I pictured an indie princess strumming her guitar through hipper-than-thou mopey songs, for some reason.

That's funny, on hearing Love Today I first pictured a completely bald 40-something. For some reason. :lmfao:

Can't believe how varied the responses are. And then I guess I'm surprised that I'm surprised, lol. After all, every critic is approaching it from his own perspective, with his own biases and musical tastes. So what works for one, is disastrous for another, is considered bland by a third, etc etc... Yeah, I know. I'm stating the obvious. But it still boggles me.

This thing about female singers dominating right now is so true but you'd think it would really work to Mika's advantage to be something different. Now that everyone is using autotune I can't even tell these women apart. Even the ones I really like like Kelly Clarkson and Jessie J.