MIKA at Caprices Festival, Crans-Montana, Switzerland -- 15 MARCH 2013

dcdeb

What is the point of that? You can't even see anything if you're one of the 10,000 people who aren't in the front row. *Sigh* I just give up trying to understand these sadistic practices and why anyone wants to participate in it.

well, of course i'd prefer a nice little mika gig in a cozy small venue any time... but you take what you get... :rolls_eyes:

i just saw that there was a chance to win tickets including hotel on 20min.ch - unfortunately the deadline was last week. :aah: i'm sure i'd have found a way to get there if i had won that... :fisch: they say the prize is worth 2000 CHF, for one weekend (ticket, ski pass and hotel), so that gives you an idea of the cost. :mf_rosetinted:

ok and now i should leave this thread. i can't afford this festival. full stop. :sneaky2:

Edited by mellody

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, of course i'd prefer a nice little mika gig in a cozy small venue any time... but you take what you get... :rolls_eyes:

I don't mean Mika gigs or Mika fans in particular. Just this whole European festival scene that seems to be taking over everything. They already ruin our summer gigs in North America because all the artists are turning up at festivals instead of touring here. Now it is starting in March? Come on! :sneaky2:

I know it's great for the artists, but why do people want to go to these things? I suppose if you just want to go skiing or get drunk or hang out on a nearby beach or whatever it's fine but if you actually want to enjoy some music it's awful.

i just saw that there was a chance to win tickets including hotel on 20min.ch - unfortunately the deadline was last week. :aah: i'm sure i'd have found a way to get there if i had won that... :fisch: they say the prize is worth 2000 CHF, for one weekend (ticket, ski pass and hotel), so that gives you an idea of the cost. :mf_rosetinted:

ok and now i should leave this thread. i can't afford this festival. full stop. :sneaky2:

Boo! :thumbdown::naughty:

Open air ? In March, Switzerland ? Well, I start to worry about his throat again....

PS. Russians are not moaning about tour dates...Mika made us happy 3 times - twice in Moscow and in SP. But I`m "offended" at the words he once said - that he`d never travel to Russia in winter... he`s afraid of frost...etc.

Not that afraid, as I see :sneaky2:

OK. Mika just take care of your throat and voice. :blush-anim-cl:

I know it's great for the artists, but why do people want to go to these things? I suppose if you just want to go skiing or get drunk or hang out on a nearby beach or whatever it's fine but if you actually want to enjoy some music it's awful.

Boo! :thumbdown::naughty:

It just really appeals to me! I guess it is just so 'different'. I will probably only want to do it once though!

Open air ? In March, Switzerland ? Well, I start to worry about his throat again....

PS. Russians are not moaning about tour dates...Mika made us happy 3 times - twice in Moscow and in SP. But I`m "offended" at the words he once said - that he`d never travel to Russia in winter... he`s afraid of frost...etc.

Indeed. Mika is very good at twisting things....well, he isn't very good at it, but he does it.....regularly. :sneaky2:

Where did he say this? Sounds like he was talking nonsense for some reason or another, no need to be offended. I'm sure he'd go if he had a reason to. :naughty:

It just really appeals to me! I guess it is just so 'different'. I will probably only want to do it once though!

I'm not just talking about this festival in particular but all festivals and in fact the whole European gig scene. I'd blame it on getting old but even when I was a kid I never had to endure all this needless torture. I queued once for a Motley Crue concert in 1984 and it was the last time until Mika's Brixton gig in 2007. And I've been to hundreds of gigs and concerts in between.

We used to have amazing outdoor concerts here every summer. All the big names would tour North America because that is the time to enjoy concerts here, not in January or February. But now no one can tour anywhere in summer because they are going to these expensive, remote and torturous festivals in Europe. It's bad enough that they are consuming the entire summer but now they are doing festivals in March, April, etc? This is just an extension of the hit making mentality where everyone is out to make a quick buck instead of giving music fans great music.

Where did he say this? Sounds like he was talking nonsense for some reason or another, no need to be offended. I'm sure he'd go if he had a reason to. :naughty:

I'm not just talking about this festival in particular but all festivals and in fact the whole European gig scene. I'd blame it on getting old but even when I was a kid I never had to endure all this needless torture. I queued once for a Motley Crue concert in 1984 and it was the last time until Mika's Brixton gig in 2007. And I've been to hundreds of gigs and concerts in between.

We used to have amazing outdoor concerts here every summer. All the big names would tour North America because that is the time to enjoy concerts here, not in January or February. But now no one can tour anywhere in summer because they are going to these expensive, remote and torturous festivals in Europe. It's bad enough that they are consuming the entire summer but now they are doing festivals in March, April, etc? This is just an extension of the hit making mentality where everyone is out to make a quick buck instead of giving music fans great music.

Yes, good point. I am just fed up of the music business in general really. But then I guess I am fed up of the sports world too which now has very little to do with sport and everything revolves around money. I want the old days back :mf_rosetinted:

in fact, those mountain festivals aren't new, they've existed for ages. for example the "top of the mountain concerts" in ischgl, austria, since 1995 - here you can see a history of some of the biggest acts that have performed there: http://www.ischgl.com/de/eventarchiv-tirol-ischgl ... that's one i've heard of many times, though i've never been there. i hadn't heard of the caprices festival yet, but seems that it also exists already for 10 years. :dunno:

festivals definitely have certain disadvantages, but a big advantage of the fact that many stars perform there is that you can discover new bands, and bands can get new fans, or introduce their new music to more people. i only go to festivals to see my fave star (i.e. mika), but there's also many music-lovers who just go there because of the atmosphere - music the whole day, and many like-minded people. of course, for some it just means getting drunk. :mf_rosetinted: as for those mountain festivals, they're usually not in december-february when it's the coldest, but in october/november for the ski opening, and march/april for the closing parties. you won't believe how warm it can get in the sun in march when you're wearing your skiing clothes, even high up on a mountain in the snow! :aah: i've never been to one of those festivals, but i'd guess that the open air ones are either during the day or in the early evening, before it gets too cold in the night. :dunno: anyway, it's the perfect combination if you love both music and skiing. i'd be surprised if anyone was queueing at such a festival! you'd spend the day skiing and after that enjoy some live music. :original:

OK. Mika just take care of your throat and voice. :blush-anim-cl:

Ah don't worry about that. In September he already moaned about Winter being too cold in Amsterdam when it's basically the same as in London. So I can imagine him considering Russia to be too cold:naughty:

I want the old days back :mf_rosetinted:

:thumb_yello:

in fact, those mountain festivals aren't new, they've existed for ages. for example the "top of the mountain concerts" in ischgl, austria, since 1995

Well it's new for Mika to not be touring at this time of year and instead playing a festival in the middle of nowhere. :aah:

festivals definitely have certain disadvantages, but a big advantage of the fact that many stars perform there is that you can discover new bands

If I want to discover new bands I can just turn on the radio or read blogs, etc. There are also civilized music festivals that are like film festivals where many indie bands play small indoor venues over the course of a week or two. I don't need to stand on a mountain for 6 hours freezing my butt off and looking at the back of everyone's heads because I can't see over 10,000 people who are crammed together like sardines.

and bands can get new fans, or introduce their new music to more people.

So it's for the artist's advantage (and the towns and resorts and promoters, etc.), nothing to do with an optimal experience for people who want to enjoy music.

as for those mountain festivals, they're usually not in december-february when it's the coldest, but in october/november for the ski opening, and march/april for the closing parties. you won't believe how warm it can get in the sun in march when you're wearing your skiing clothes, even high up on a mountain in the snow! :aah: i've never been to one of those festivals, but i'd guess that the open air ones are either during the day or in the early evening, before it gets too cold in the night. :dunno: anyway, it's the perfect combination if you love both music and skiing.

I used to live in Whistler and it's not warm enough in March to just stand around for hours. Skiing and doing other things (even walking) is very different from standing around in terms of feeling cold. But maybe it's different in the alps.

i'd be surprised if anyone was queueing at such a festival! you'd spend the day skiing and after that enjoy some live music. :original:

I wouldn't expect anyone to queue but if it's cold outside and you're outside for more than 30 minutes it's going to be uncomfortable. What are the chances you can just show up for Mika and leave within the hour?

Ah don't worry about that. In September he already moaned about Winter being too cold in Amsterdam when it's basically the same as in London. So I can imagine him considering Russia to be too cold:naughty:

Amsterdam is the coldest place I've seen him! There must be something in the air? Maybe it's the wind? Okay, Reykjavik was colder, but I expected it to be cold :naughty:

festivals definitely have certain disadvantages, but a big advantage of the fact that many stars perform there is that you can discover new bands, and bands can get new fans, or introduce their new music to more people. i only go to festivals to see my fave star (i.e. mika), but there's also many music-lovers who just go there because of the atmosphere - music the whole day, and many like-minded people. of course, for some it just means getting drunk. :mf_rosetinted: as for those mountain festivals, they're usually not in december-february when it's the coldest, but in october/november for the ski opening, and march/april for the closing parties. you won't believe how warm it can get in the sun in march when you're wearing your skiing clothes, even high up on a mountain in the snow! :aah: i've never been to one of those festivals, but i'd guess that the open air ones are either during the day or in the early evening, before it gets too cold in the night. :dunno: anyway, it's the perfect combination if you love both music and skiing. i'd be surprised if anyone was queueing at such a festival! you'd spend the day skiing and after that enjoy some live music. :original:

I've discovered some great new music at festivals. Also, I've heard many times how people who originally came to see some other bands loved watching a Mika show. Well, of course I prefer a proper Mika gig at a small venue, too, but if he is not touring I will go to at least some festivals. It's just really difficult to plan anything when they announce dates so late and one festival/gig at a time :aah:

I am very old and therefore very very wise :floor: and I have - after many years of in-depth study - concluded that all outdoor festivals are, in fact, sh*t. This is based on the fact that most festivals involve either much wading about knee-deep in mud, or expiring in heat and being unable to get out from the middle to get a drink, or standing for hours in the freezing cold, or standing for hours in the pouring rain, or putting up with drunk or stoned people all around, or queuing for ages to go into a toilet which stinks so bad a gas-mask should be compulsory. All that, and you end up watching on the screen because basically you are so far away you can't actually see anything. :teehee:

Amsterdam is the coldest place I've seen him! There must be something in the air? Maybe it's the wind? Okay, Reykjavik was colder, but I expected it to be cold :naughty:

Funnily enough in December it was warmer:naughty:

I am very old and therefore very very wise :floor: and I have - after many years of in-depth study - concluded that all outdoor festivals are, in fact, sh*t. This is based on the fact that most festivals involve either much wading about knee-deep in mud, or expiring in heat and being unable to get out from the middle to get a drink, or standing for hours in the freezing cold, or standing for hours in the pouring rain, or putting up with drunk or stoned people all around, or queuing for ages to go into a toilet which stinks so bad a gas-mask should be compulsory. All that, and you end up watching on the screen because basically you are so far away you can't actually see anything. :teehee:

I agree with a few points. I queued in August for the balloon festival in Canada. It was a sunny day, no rain, no snow. It was a little bit hot but at 3:00 PM, we were in the shade of the stage. :teehee: I didn't drink at all for the whole day because I didn't want to go to the toilet during the show. :teehee: But we had people with us to talk and the time went fast. I waited 7 hours to see Mika. :naughty: And I would do the exact same thing tomorrow if I had to.

I agree with a few points. I queued in August for the balloon festival in Canada. It was a sunny day, no rain, no snow. It was a little bit hot but at 3:00 PM, we were in the shade of the stage. :teehee: I didn't drink at all for the whole day because I didn't want to go to the toilet during the show. :teehee: But we had people with us to talk and the time went fast. I waited 7 hours to see Mika. :naughty: And I would do the exact same thing tomorrow if I had to.

You haven't been to a festival properly, until you have been completely soaked watching your favourite artist, trudged around from stage to stage in deep mud, slept in tents beside people who are completely drunk, shouting to the person beside them like they were deaf and queued up for the questionable toilet facilities.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. It may be gross at times, perhaps not to everyones taste and you may end up frozen some nights, but when you are with friends, it can be one of the most fun weekends you can have,because you always find a way to make the best of it :thumb_yello:

You haven't been to a festival properly, until you have been completely soaked watching your favourite artist, trudged around from stage to stage in deep mud, slept in tents beside people who are completely drunk, shouting to the person beside them like they were deaf and queued up for the questionable toilet facilities.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. It may be gross at times, perhaps not to everyones taste and you may end up frozen some nights, but when you are with friends, it can be one of the most fun weekends you can have,because you always find a way to make the best of it :thumb_yello:

The name of the event was really "Ballon festival". I think there are some festivals that are better then others. :aah: I wouldn't like to go to your kind of festival. :shocked: I think it depends of the artist you are going to see. I went to the same festival 3 times and each day was different.

I've never been to this festival but I can say it's NOT an outdoor festival :wink2:

The temperatures should not be that bad either (except if we have extraordinary weather conditions this year, which was the case last year as it was snowing a lot during the festival actually :teehee:). Anyway, generaly in march the temperatures start getting warmer so don't worry too much about being cold :thumb_yello:

one last point: swiss people do not really like queuing :naughty: especially at festivals in the french area of Switzerland :teehee:. Therefore, PLEASE, there is absolutely no need to get ill waiting for hours outside as no one will probably come very early as they'll be skiing, working, etc... :wink2:

I've never been to this festival but I can say it's NOT an outdoor festival :wink2:

The temperatures should not be that bad either (except if we have extraordinary weather conditions this year, which was the case last year as it was snowing a lot during the festival actually :teehee:). Anyway, generaly in march the temperatures start getting warmer so don't worry too much about being cold :thumb_yello:

one last point: swiss people do not really like queuing :naughty: especially at festivals in the french area of Switzerland :teehee:. Therefore, PLEASE, there is absolutely no need to get ill waiting for hours outside as no one will probably come very early as they'll be skiing, working, etc... :wink2:

Thanks Nanou - that is great. I am REALLY looking forward to this...can't wait!:thumb_yello:

yes, nanou, thats right, it isn't outdoor. there are musicians in all the bars, pubs and restaurants. someone tell me, there are big tents. and other tell me, the big concerts are in a indoor tennis center. im not sure, but it will be inside, and it will be hot.

yes, nanou, thats right, it isn't outdoor. there are musicians in all the bars, pubs and restaurants. someone tell me, there are big tents. and other tell me, the big concerts are in a indoor tennis center. im not sure, but it will be inside, and it will be hot.

Thank God for that! :thumb_yello:

Hello friends. :bye:

The Caprices Festival website is full of useless informations and pictures and have not the adress of the concert.

Anyway in the websites of ticket sellers you can read:

Caprices Festival Vendredi 15 mars 2013

Billet ne donnant pas accès à la Modernity. (ticket are not avalaible for Modernity Festival)

Vendredi 15 mars 2013 :

The Moon : Mika - Célien Schneider - Nelly Furtado

The Tube : Sven Väth

Centre des Congrès Le Régent

Rue des Mélèzes 28

3963 CRANS-MONTANA

So, if i will go, i pretend to attend the concert in a Congres Centre!!! :thumb_yello:

I suppose that this The Moon is the name of a particular hall/stage, inside the Congres Centre.

You can understand that because you can also buy a ticket for another section of the festival, called Modernity, Fr 15.03.2013 Crans-Montana, Restaurant Cry D'Err, pistes de ski .

So... our concert is not outside on ski pistes as the Modernity one.

This is my interpretation :original:

Hello friends. :bye:

The Caprices Festival website is full of useless informations and pictures and have not the adress of the concert.

Anyway in the websites of ticket sellers you can read:

Caprices Festival Vendredi 15 mars 2013

Billet ne donnant pas accès à la Modernity. (ticket are not avalaible for Modernity Festival)

Vendredi 15 mars 2013 :

The Moon : Mika - Célien Schneider - Nelly Furtado

The Tube : Sven Väth

Centre des Congrès Le Régent

Rue des Mélèzes 28

3963 CRANS-MONTANA

So, if i will go, i pretend to attend the concert in a Congres Centre!!! :thumb_yello:

I suppose that this The Moon is the name of a particular hall/stage, inside the Congres Centre.

You can understand that because you can also buy a ticket for another section of the festival, called Modernity, Fr 15.03.2013 Crans-Montana, Restaurant Cry D'Err, pistes de ski .

So... our concert is not outside on ski pistes as the Modernity one.

This is my interpretation :original:

It would be lovely to see you Allegra! I hope you can make it. :thumb_yello: