2013 - Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, Washington DC, USA - 10 April - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

guylainem123

:usa:

Washington DC, it was your turn to fall under the charm of that sweet voice :fangurl:

Please tell us all about your gig experience... and don't forget the details! :teehee:

150752_10152705999325321_30336541_n.jpg

(Pic by dcdeb)

========

REPORTS

========

nas:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897865&postcount=4

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897962&postcount=24

A. Clay:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897874&postcount=7

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898419&postcount=63

dcdeb:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897877&postcount=8

Christine:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897964&postcount=25

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897968&postcount=28

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897977&postcount=30

Kreacher:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898031&postcount=38

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898150&postcount=53

PsychoKitten:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898157&postcount=54

cathblais:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898392&postcount=57

prussel716:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898700&postcount=74

========

PICTURES

========

A.Clay: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897874&postcount=7

dcdeb: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3897884&postcount=12

kreacher: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3898753&postcount=75

Official Pics:

========

VIDEOS

========

dcdeb

canboys2:

Kreacher:

prussel716:

REVIEWS:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/mika-goes-unplugged-at-dcs-6th-and-i-synagogue

http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/livedc-mika-sixth-and-i-synagogue.htm (with beautiful pics)

Chris FitzGerald ‏@OnTheFitz 41m

@mikasounds ditches mic and sings without amplification. @sixthandi is pretty awesome! pic.twitter.com/jxZVgnyZy5

BHiQjZ6CUAAT0FR.jpg

Daniel Wein ‏@danielwein 52m

Wow-never seen an artist connect w an audience & space so magically. Bravo, @mikasounds. Tonight's @SixthandI show was one for record books.

.@mikasounds performed several songs unplugged. Just his voice; no microphone. He said first time he'd done so since a child. Spectacular.

Still in awe. Here are @mikasound's "unplugged" performances of Stardust (

) & Lola (
)

[YOUTUBE]mAB_0W7ecxI&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HSGmFjA_aGc&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Fhdkfkdofjhp

I would've loved to be the first to give a report put I'm heading into the 40+ hours without sleep so it would likely be gibberish now BUT I wanted to be the first to tell how he introduced relax (my fave song)

He started off by telling how well it did by peaking at 47 and then 67 after re-release XD it was inspired by an incident in the tube near his old home, where the police evacuated the train, this being shortly after the London bombing. He was at a loss of how to deal with this threat and these proceedings but instead of merely returning home to watch the news he wrote a song about it as well: Relax.

Then he played the song. And I made a weird strangled noise. And then teared up.

I think this gig was one for the records indeed. Write more tmrw!

The show was wonderful. I s0000 enjoyed it.

Had a bird's eye view up in the balcony--like I like.

MIKA signed my 'Songs For Sorrow' art book afterwards.

9487121ca25711e2b78a22000a9f193c_7.jpg

He looked gorgeous in navy blue while greeting fans.

MIKA's 'unplugged' performance has left ME unplugged --

demolished, actually. My brain has turned to mush.

I'll post my experience summary aka 'report' tomorrow.

photofunia-7b48e6_o.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya...

Let me tell you about tonight's show. No, it is too much.

Let me sum up.

:swoon:

:stretcher:

F***ing Amazing.

When Alice says she's demolished... believe me, she's not exaggerating.

I'll be back in a little while when I have some photos, and can form cohesive thoughts.

Fhdkfkdofjhp

I would've loved to be the first to give a report put I'm heading into the 40+ hours without sleep so it would likely be gibberish now BUT I wanted to be the first to tell how he introduced relax (my fave song)

He started off by telling how well it did by peaking at 47 and then 67 after re-release XD it was inspired by an incident in the tube near his old home, where the police evacuated the train, this being shortly after the London bombing. He was at a loss of how to deal with this threat and these proceedings but instead of merely returning home to watch the news he wrote a song about it as well: Relax.

Then he played the song. And I made a weird strangled noise. And then teared up.

I think this gig was one for the records indeed. Write more tmrw!

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya...

Let me tell you about tonight's show. No, it is too much.

Let me sum up.

:swoon:

:stretcher:

F***ing Amazing.

When Alice says she's demolished... believe me, she's not exaggerating.

I'll be back in a little while when I have some photos, and can form cohesive thoughts.

GOD! Looks fantastic :wub2: other EPIC gig :mikalove:

Good rest ladies, thanks for brief report, looking forward for more :thumb_yello:

:huglove:

Just a few photos before I hit the hay... again, I wasn't using my flash, and though the lighting was beautiful, it was not conducive to great photography with my little camera. In any case...

524752_10152705999315321_1557071830_n.jpg

150752_10152705999325321_30336541_n.jpg

58909_10152705999305321_55707134_n.jpg

558602_10152705999375321_1617376739_n.jpg

483398_10152705999415321_1777124219_n.jpg

541743_10152705999435321_874106518_n.jpg

534829_10152705999500321_18089497_n.jpg

68962_10152705999530321_490057745_n.jpg

561828_10152705999560321_2123403026_n.jpg

733887_10152705999580321_1826068488_n.jpg

Among all the gigs this is the one I would have LOVED to go to. I'm in love with his vocal range in stardust , I cannot believe he sang it that easily without a microphone. And the silence in that place is just amazing. :wub2:

OK, I didn't film Stardust -- I was too star STRUCK. :swoon:

But I did record Lola... hope it gives you an idea of what it was like in the front row. :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]KpRHU7kP-VQ[/YOUTUBE]

I've no words... it's stunning and his voice is so good! It's breathless :swoon:

Stardust was always my favourite song but unplugged is unforgettable! For the first time, we can hear his real voice like he was singing alone at home... they are unique moments!

Thank you Deb for the vid of Lola!! :flowers2:

Edited by Lucrezia

BHhrz7XCUAAoJ9G.jpg

This is wonderful Alice! absolute proof for the critics and haters, that he sings live and that his voice has no comparison!

So glad you enjoyed it, though there's no way you wouldn't have!

But I did record Lola... hope it gives you an idea of what it was like in the front row. :wub2:

Thank you Deb for this beautiful video...I'm in awe and speechless.:wub2::wub2:

Thank you Deb:thumb_yello: The man will never cease to amaze me:wub2:

Thanks for the videos and reports! :thumb_yello: This venue looks fabulous :wub2: How many people were there? and there was only sitting places?

I think maybe about 400-500 with half upstairs and half downstairs. It was all seated. There were 14 seats in the front row and you could see amazingly well even from the back row which is the beauty of having seats. Everyone is spaced out. The balcony was low and wrapped all the way around to the stage. I could see A. Clay perfectly in the balcony so she would have been able to see Mika perfectly too. It was such a spectacular venue.

I think maybe about 400-500 with half upstairs and half downstairs. It was all seated. There were 14 seats in the front row and you could see amazingly well even from the back row which is the beauty of having seats. Everyone is spaced out. The balcony was low and wrapped all the way around the stage. I could see A. Clay perfectly in the balcony so she would have been able to see Mika perfectly too. It was such a spectacular venue.

Thank you! I guess that was the greatest venue until now,such a beautiful and small place,wonderful acoustic,and seated places,what can you ask more? :wub2: Oh,and Mika without microphone :swoon:

I'm up! Looks like I might be first after all :shocked: I'll try to present thoughts in some coherent fashion but please excuse me if I resort to randomly typing letters XD

So the venue was great even from the outside. I got there around 12 and was third in line. There was a ledge to sit on, shade and perfect weather! By around 3/4 the crowd started picking up ( which I got a RT about :excite:) and then by 5 it stretched soooo far around the block we got worried about them letting people in through the side entrance. Deb had a talk with the box office ppl though and put our fears to rest :thumb_yello:

Mika was late getting to the venue so we thought things would get pushed back. I worried about it running too late since I had ppl waiting on me to give me a ride back to where I'm staying. The door opened not too long after 7 however (!) and getting in was a breeze. They'd placed extra chairs in front of the first row of pews and those are the seats we took, about 3 feet or so from the stage. The stage was elevated so there was some slight straining of the neck upwards but nothing excessive. You guys have seen the pics I don't need to tell u how breathtaking the interior was! I think it even inspired ppl choosing seats to be nice and civilized. :aah: the atmosphere and crowd was very relaxed and laid back. This was the first time I left my spot at a Mika concert and could go to the bathroom with absolutely no worries! Downstairs they sold drinks- alcoholic and non-alcoholic- and people were indulging but in a very orderly and peaceful fashion.

I missed the opening to the DJ act (thank god! :aah:). They shortened the act however, and generally the crowd was less receptive to the later songs than at LPR, but people seemed to be having an ok time.

Then *he* came on ...!

Started off with GK and the crowd lapped it up. Then he said he felt very clean, especially as how he was in a dirty night club the night before (:sneaky2:). I can't remember which song came next but by the time it came to Emily, he started singing then stopped after the first line saying he ****ed it up because the words are in English but he's thinking in French XD. Then very surprisingly the crowd started shouting at him to sing in French. I mean they went wild! He was confused and had no idea what they were saying at first but then finally got the message and sang all of it as EMD. I have no idea why Washingtonians seemed so hell-bent on hearing French version EMD :aah:, but by the time it got to danse,danse,danse, everyone was on their feet (but still in front of their seats) and everyone remained standing for the rest of the gig.

Then it was Lola. He started off singing with a mic and then switched it off...then had a sudden inspiration to take the mics off the piano as well. He said we'll try this experiment but had no idea if it would work then a girl yelled that yes it would, we would all be absolutely silent. He looked at her and teased 'who you?!' 'Is that the voice of someone who could be absolutely silent?' :naughty: But try it he did. :fangurl: I was shocked at how obedient and silent the crowd was. It was the definition of people enraptured. And I thought it was the best sounding crowd ever too; when we had to sing back it sounded almost like an angelic chorus. Listening to Mika sing without a mike was...fdidigpjdgsudtu... It was an emotional fulfillment I didn't know I craved until then to be honest...

After Lola the crowd went WILD.

I'm so sorry I can't embrace the order of songs, but after he did stardust acoustically too ( a few songs after Lola) it was obvious the script was out the window and he said as much. He was thinking on the fly. At one point someone asked for his hand, and he was like why? I should give u my hand *just* because u asked?! Then added that he has done worse just because some asked however :naughty: that cracked us up! Then he said his family visiting from Virginia and in the audience must think him such a rogue :aah:

By the end I so wasn't ready for it to be over :( then he did over my shoulder to close and again the crowd was enthralled.

I left the gig in the daze. People are asking me if I enjoyed it and obviously I did but I feel weird saying I did because it was more than having 'fun' or 'enjoying' , it was like a religious experience, a creation of the perfect storm of setting, audience and artiste that will likely never be repeated. I was at a loss for words.

Outside there was a whole mass of ppl waiting to see him leave, and we thought if they mob him he'll prolly just go to the car without seeing many. Fortunately, someone frm the venue came out to say we should form a line and to the order side of where we were. By the end of that process everyone who was first in the q earlier ended up at the very last of the line, which is only fair I guess :aah:

He came out after abt 30 or so minutes and ofc everyone kinda swarmed him but to my shock he stayed, talked and signed it all! :shocked: ppl starting dispersing as they got their moment with him and against all expectations we at the back reached up to him. I had him sign my ticket and told him thanks for a transcendent experience. He touched my shoulder and said thank you with what I didn't doubt (for once :aah:) was actual gratitude. Then he obliged deb with just the sweetest favor which I dunno I If can talk abt yet.. he signed a fan's songs of sorrow saying how valuable those are becoming and that he's trying to buy them back on eBay :aah:

He saw every single last person waiting and took pics with some young girls who looked like his distant family or friends of his family. I think he felt the love from that crowd and decided to repay it with his time. :fangurl:

This gig was the best, the best, the best!! Homestly every fan's dream even if you didn't have the imagination to dream something so perfect. I lucked out with virtually the best seat in the house as I had the perfect view of Mika on the piano but was just a couple of feet away when he came to centre stage to blow everyone away with his breathtaking off mic vocals. The lighting was also soft and beautiful which didn't make for the best amateur photographs but which added a magical mood if you were there to see if with your own eyes.

It was such an easy queuing day with the synagogue shading us from the sun and a large ledge for dozens of people to sit on. Everyone was spaced out and relaxed even to doors opening. We got inside and because there were seats we were free to go get drinks and use the toilets, etc.

The synagogue itself was spectacular with a domed ceiling and stain glass windows rivalling any church you will find in North America. The sound was by far the best I have ever heard in any venue for any artist, ever. Not a hint of distortion and you could hear every single nuance in Mika's voice as if you were sitting together in a small quiet room.

The chilled atmosphere continued during the gig which meant people stayed seated for quite a few songs. Then he started playing Emily and I think it was the second verse that he flubbed and stopped to say it was so messed up for him because he's trying to sing in English but thinking of the French version. People started cheering and getting really rowdy and he was just sort of giggling like wth? :naughty: It just carried on and he didn't seem to know what to do. He looked at me and said "What is happening here?" My voice is almost gone I've got such a bad cold so I was just clapping and trying to cheer as best I could. :aah:

He finally said "Oh do you want to hear it in French?" So everyone went nuts and stood up for Elle Me Dit and then the gig really got rolling. I really don't like Emily myself (I don't even know the lyrics) so I was really happy with that and the whole audience loved it and never sat down again, even for Over My Shoulder.

Going to continue in another post because I'm on my iPad that is prone to crashing...