Mikasounds, Twitter and Facebook updates - Part 12

silver

Wondering why he reads it from a piece of paper. This particular part of the speech sounds extremely familiar...

I have yet to read the rest, no opinion about that yet...

Probably for the same reason he takes out a piece of paper to sing some songs... Kinda security blanket:wink2:

Very good news, cant wait! :thumb_yello:

I have very similar thoughts. I understand why he is talking about prostituting - he is doing things to get money for his music or to promote his music. At the same time I can see he has thought this trough and decided it needs to be done and he works hard. I'm proud of him too and happy he makes it clear he wants to make music.

I feel the same:thumb_yello:

I understand what you say, and I think he likes these side projects too, but I don't understand why it is for you an opposition to what he said in the lecture?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he never said that he doesn't like these side projects, right?

What I mean is, he needs to promote himself and he chosed to "prostitue" himself with XF, the Voice and everything else (meaning here that he needs to do things less artistic and not in his musical values), so why not chosing side projects that are fun for him?

I think he is taking the best from this situation, trying to enjoy things he thinks he needs to do, instead of being a victim and complaining about it.

:thumb_yello:

Of course he is doing this things for money, he wouldn't to XF or TV for free, and he is doing it for promotion. But for example with XF he clearly & often said that he liked it and that he has much fun doing it. And you saw it as well when you watched the show and him working with his girls.

The point is, he wouldn't need to do it if everything would work out on it's own. But it doesn't. So he needs to do things if he wants to do his music and everything that is most important to him. But if he had to do site projects at least ones he likes doing - not liking more than not needing to do them at all, but better than doing ones he likes less.

But isn't everybody doing it in one way or another: Doing things you need to do for achieving things you really want to do? And if you can choose do at least things you like as much as it is possible?

But isn't everybody doing it in one way or another: Doing things you need to do for achieving things you really want to do? And if you can choose do at least things you like as much as it is possible?

Actually if I earned £8 million when I was in my 20s I would have never spent another second of my life doing anything I didn't love for money.

Actually if I earned £8 million when I was in my 20s I would have never spent another second of my life doing anything I didn't love for money.

I wasn't intending money necessarily (unless it's essential of achieving the things you want to do of course - or unless money is the thing you want :mf_rosetinted:), it was about aims in general and things you do for them.

And this is one point in his text as well: Being able to make music (and other "artistic stuff") and being able to make people get to know the things you have done. One of the strongest sentences for me is this one:

During one sleepless night, in the freezing cold, I made a decision that actually changed my 2013: I promised myself not to be pushed aside and work very hard because I was proud of the music I made.

And what I meant was that it isn't really different from things everybody does. For example the student doing mini jobs for financing university or the teenager delivering paper for a new Smartphone or whatever...

And what I meant was that it isn't really different from things everybody does. For example the student doing mini jobs for financing university or the teenager delivering paper for a new Smartphone or whatever...

I just don't believe this is the solution to getting your music out there. In fact I think all of this non-music activity is part of the problem and more of the same is not going to fix it in the long-term. If you don't want your music to be pushed aside then why on earth do you completely abandon it and the international audience that once supported you to "work hard" at something else for an entire year? It's totally illogical.

Rufus Wainwright is not a pop superstar. His singles don't chart. He doesn't sell out huge arenas. But he somehow manages to work with great producers and his side projects are making operas, not becoming the face of TV shows that epitomize everything that is destroying the music industry. I see him in concert a couple of times every year. It seems to me he is also not waiting for his record company to give him the green light to do promo and he does whatever he wants. He does tribute concerts with other artists for his mother. He works with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, etc. Is Mika making this kind of effort to perform in his hometown? Why not? He is not a huge star in the UK anymore just like Rufus Wainwright is not a huge star in Toronto, but when has London ever let him down and not filled a venue?

If Mika is doing this for the money and just a general freedom in his life then he's probably making some good choices. If he's doing it for the music and for his music fans I can't help but wonder if he is seriously misguided.

... my post is slightly off-topic but I don`t know where to share it :blush-anim-cl::ot:

Bocconi University sounds so familiar.... Then I recalled: a couple of years ago the organization I work for sent Russian students to Italy, for post-graduate studies, and one of our partner universities was Bocconi !

And now Mika gave a lecture there! Sometimes such coincidences just make me wonder.... Things can cross in a very unpredictable way:naughty:

He earned £8 million :shocked::shocked::shocked:

WOOOOOW

I wasn't intending money necessarily (unless it's essential of achieving the things you want to do of course - or unless money is the thing you want :mf_rosetinted:), it was about aims in general and things you do for them.

And this is one point in his text as well: Being able to make music (and other "artistic stuff") and being able to make people get to know the things you have done. One of the strongest sentences for me is this one:

During one sleepless night, in the freezing cold, I made a decision that actually changed my 2013: I promised myself not to be pushed aside and work very hard because I was proud of the music I made.

That is a beautiful quote :mikalove:

And I don't mind if he's doing what he's doing for money which can help him in the future - as long as he stays true to himself, and from what I've seen of him in the last few months - he certainly has :wink2:

What I AM worried about is the name "MIKA" becoming some sort of a brand, as if he was a company. People will know the name, not the man. I guess there's nothing we can do about it...

I think he is taking the best from this situation, trying to enjoy things he thinks he needs to do, instead of being a victim and complaining about it. I would say he prefers to look on the bright sides of things :wink2:

And I love people like that :wub2:

I so agree with you, as usual. :thumb_yello:

What an inspiring speech! How I wish I could have been there to hear it live. Reading this I can not help but admire even more Mika's honesty and most of all his hard work and continuing effort to create and share his music with the world. This lecture confirms what I've always believed about how much he cares about his music and art. Not that we needed any confirmation of some sort anyway, it's always been pretty obvious how important music is to him.

And one little comment that I'd like to add about about the side projects is how it's very clear that they've all been done with creativity and self respect with the end result being pretty amazing and of incredibly high quality. For example the swatch collaboration, those designs are true works of art!

This lecture has been so beautiful! It makes me think how he should really be proud of his work and choices! He truly deserves all the success and support in the world!!

He earned £8 million :shocked::shocked::shocked:

WOOOOOW

That is a beautiful quote :mikalove:

And I don't mind if he's doing what he's doing for money which can help him in the future - as long as he stays true to himself' date=' and from what I've seen of him in the last few months - he certainly has :wink2:

What I AM worried about is the name "MIKA" becoming some sort of a brand, as if he was a company. People will know the name, not the man. I guess there's nothing we can do about it...[/quote']

These days most artists are considered brands, I think that's possibly why he started the lecture by stating his real name. Mika is the brand, Michael is the person behind it.

I just don't believe this is the solution to getting your music out there. In fact I think all of this non-music activity is part of the problem and more of the same is not going to fix it in the long-term. If you don't want your music to be pushed aside then why on earth do you completely abandon it and the international audience that once supported you to "work hard" at something else for an entire year? It's totally illogical.

Rufus Wainwright is not a pop superstar. His singles don't chart. He doesn't sell out huge arenas. But he somehow manages to work with great producers and his side projects are making operas, not becoming the face of TV shows that epitomize everything that is destroying the music industry. I see him in concert a couple of times every year. It seems to me he is also not waiting for his record company to give him the green light to do promo and he does whatever he wants. He does tribute concerts with other artists for his mother. He works with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, etc. Is Mika making this kind of effort to perform in his hometown? Why not? He is not a huge star in the UK anymore just like Rufus Wainwright is not a huge star in Toronto, but when has London ever let him down and not filled a venue?

If Mika is doing this for the money and just a general freedom in his life then he's probably making some good choices. If he's doing it for the music and for his music fans I can't help but wonder if he is seriously misguided.

I, of course, agree with what you say about the UK. I've said many times that I wish he would do something over here. But maybe he has plans for us in 2014. I hope so.

But I don't think the talent shows are ruining the industry. There are truly talented people who wouldn't have had a chance some other way. Susan Boyle and Paul Potts (for example) would never have made it without BGT.

Talent shows are not a new thing. In the 60s we had Opportunity Knocks and Stars In Their Eyes, which began the careers of many famous people.

Calling himself a prostitute is a clumsy statement. But it's very Mikaish as well. But the way I look at what he's doing now is, everything he does, whether on a talent show or designing a new watch etc, gets his name and face out there and leads people to his music.

We talk about the early days, but remember, between his first two albums there was a wilderness period when we thought he was making an album, but then he'd say he was in the middle, or he'd just started etc. But now he has tons more confidence and doesn't need to lock himself away to write.

When the other 2 albums did come out, there was (in my view anyway) a big mistake from the record company in the choice of singles. Even Mika has hinted about that, and been disappointed in them, so taking his career into his own hands has been his way of getting his control back.

Rufus Wainwright was already a legend when he started to do things which are more behind-the-scenes. He can walk on to a stage once every 5 years, and people still know who he is. Its the same with the likes of Elton John and Paul McCartney. Mika hasn't achieved the status of an icon yet (not in UK or USA anyway) so he can't disappear for a while, come back and still be popular everywhere.

So he's working on all aspects of his career, and I think he genuinely has enjoyed being on X Factor and on TV. I'm thrilled to death for him, if he has. He may have been reluctant to go down that route, but now he's glad he did.

So I don't see anything wrong, or compromising in what he's been doing recently. I hope he keeps on doing it, especially in the UK, where he needs to promote himself.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

i find this quote interesting because it confirms the feeling me and some others had at the end of mika's 2012 tour. at that point obviously he still had no idea what the future would bring, since universal had abandoned him, and, without knowing the reason why, to me it all just felt very dark and i was even scared he'd stop making music and doing gigs. only on his himalaya holiday later, he made this decision how he would go on. in a way i love it that his personal worries show so much that i can feel them, but on the other hand it felt horrible to know something wasn't right but not having the slightest clue what it was - because obviously it was nothing he could have made public at that point. i'm glad that now, almost exactly a year later, i got the proof that i wasn't imagining things. :teehee:

These days most artists are considered brands, I think that's possibly why he started the lecture by stating his real name. Mika is the brand, Michael is the person behind it.

:thumb_yello: you actually need a brand to be successful, it's one of the most important marketing instruments. and i don't see it as something negative. like you say, rose, mika is the brand, michael is the person behind it. i'm sure mika is, and always was, aware of this difference. although of course in the case of an artist, the brand is always connected with the person. but he's careful about his private life, and surely able to keep it separated from the brand he represents for the public.

Thank you everybody for your comments, it's very interesting and let me think more about that.

On thing I'd like to add, is that for me it is very important that Michael (:mf_rosetinted:) is happy and, as many of you told here or on blogs, he was obviously not happy at the end of 2012 or while making TBWKTM.

So, if making these side projects let him be happier and more free then it's ok for me. Especially that I love some of them (Swatch :wub2:) and I'm ok with all of them until now. And, if one day he does a side project that I can't stand, I will simply put my interest on something / someone else during that time, waiting for Mika to do other interesting stuffs.

As long as he is happy with what he does, I'm not worried. :wub2:

(ok, maybe I'll change my mind if he does a second XF season, we'll see :naughty::wink2:)

Thank you everybody for your comments, it's very interesting and let me think more about that.

On thing I'd like to add, is that for me it is very important that Michael (:mf_rosetinted:) is happy and, as many of you told here or on blogs, he was obviously not happy at the end of 2012 or while making TBWKTM.

So, if making these side projects let him be happier and more free then it's ok for me. Especially that I love some of them (Swatch :wub2:) and I'm ok with all of them until now. And, if one day he does a side project that I can't stand, I will simply put my interest on something / someone else during that time, waiting for Mika to do other interesting stuffs.

As long as he is happy with what he does, I'm not worried. :wub2:

(ok, maybe I'll change my mind if he does a second XF season, we'll see :naughty::wink2:)

Generally, well said:thumb_yello:

But TBWKTM is so damn good, still it`s my favourite album!

Even if we criticize some projects that Mika does, we always try to justify them ( we try our best:naughty:), because we love him and support him, strangely through criticism , but we do!

Sorry to break all these posts, which I found so interesting, by the way, to tell a trivial:

Gaia just tweeted Mika is throwing a party tonight. She told "da Mika" which should imply at his place.

Ok, now she says she can't go because of work. I don't know, maybe that was a joke .. ? :blink: If that so... who cares :aah:

Edited by Elwendin

Sorry to break all these posts, which I found so interesting, by the way, to tell a trivial:

Gaia just tweeted Mika is throwing a party tonight. She told "da Mika" which should imply at his place.

Farewell party? :fisch:

You do realize these people spend hundreds of days per year touring right? Not just a dozen days every summer in a castle or an old amphitheatre or a beach or a ski slope where we'd all love to take a holiday. But day after day, all year long, year after year, in every major (and often minor) city in countries all over the world.

Of course,they can tour 365 days per year,many of those megastars doesn't need to spend time for writing their songs,someone else is doing it for them.Moreover,you can do 3 gigs per day when you do lip-synching.There's very few true artists able to perform live,writing their songs,and doing all the musical arrangements by themselves,and I bet they can't do that for hundreds of days per year.I prefer quality over quantity,that's why I'm a Mika fan :thumb_yello:

Of course,they can tour 365 days per year,many of those megastars doesn't need to spend time for writing their songs,someone else is doing it for them.Moreover,you can do 3 gigs per day when you do lip-synching.There's very few true artists able to perform live,writing their songs,and doing all the musical arrangements by themselves,and I bet they can't do that for hundreds of days per year.I prefer quality over quantity,that's why I'm a Mika fan :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello: Very well said - totally agree !!! :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

Katy Perry writes and records her own material, tours extensively and doesn't lip sync. So if she can do it, I think Mika could too.

These people are not lip synching any more than Mika is. Have you ever seen one of their gigs? What about Katy Perry? She writes her own songs. I just saw her last week and I can assure you she never lip syncs anything. She released an album in October and will be touring until mid-2015.

Mika toured non stop in 2007 and he just doesn't do that any more. He is filling his professional time with side projects, not with new music. I understand the circumstances that have lead to this change. I also think that Mika deserves more recognition than some of these pop stars because he is more talented. But to say they don't deserve as much money is ridiculous. They are performing every night and engaged in hardcore promotion every day and not just faffing around. Mika doesn't work any harder bringing music to his audience than these people do. That is fantasy.

Katy Perry writes and records her own material, tours extensively and doesn't lip sync. So if she can do it, I think Mika could too.

These people are not lip synching any more than Mika is. Have you ever seen one of their gigs? What about Katy Perry? She writes her own songs. I just saw her last week and I can assure you she never lip syncs anything. She released an album in October and will be touring until mid-2015.

I said there's a few artists who can do it,and Katy Perry is one of them,I was not talking about her.If you believe that let's say Kanye is a bigger artist than Mika,that's fine,everyone with their tastes.I don't want to go to anyone's gig,because I don't like anyone as much as like to see Mika live,why to waste my time? :dunno:

And thank god I didn't noticed that Mika is lipsinching,and still believe he is the best live performer ever :teehee:

Edited by krysady