Mika in Canadian Press 2020

Kumazzz

21 hours ago, NancylovesM said:

I'm confused as to why the Bell Centre show is postponed and the rest are cancelled?. Does anyone know why?

Maybe it depends on the policies of the local organizer, whether they prefer to just refund the tickets or keep them valid although it's insecure when the event can be rescheduled. :dunno:

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, mellody said:

Here's something  @dcdeb found on Twitter, not sure about the details but seems to be some radio show?

Thanks for posting that, Karin. I looked a little more and I think it may actually be a TV show, but obviously everything is being done remotely now. So maybe we'll be able to see Mika do this -- right now, all I can find is that he'll be on on Tuesday, at 9 p.m. (21h) on ICI Télé. Do any of our Canadian/Montreal fans know anything more about this show?

Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BonsoirBonsoirRC/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Thanks for posting that, Karin. I looked a little more and I think it may actually be a TV show, but obviously everything is being done remotely now. So maybe we'll be able to see Mika do this -- right now, all I can find is that he'll be on on Tuesday, at 9 p.m. (21h) on ICI Télé. Do any of our Canadian/Montreal fans know anything more about this show?

Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BonsoirBonsoirRC/

I do! I watch it almost every night. it’s a TV show (same channel as En direct de l’univers)

They have been doing a few interviews with international guests lately (via skype), yesterday, it was Josh Harnett. They also had Christine and the queens a few weeks ago. Those interviews last about 5 minutes and they have usually been recorded a few days before.

Looking forward to see Mika.

Edited by cathouzouf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, cathouzouf said:

I do! I watch it almost every night. it’s a TV show (same channel as En direct de l’univers)

They have been doing a few interviews with international guests lately (via skype), yesterday, it was Josh Harnett. They also had Christine and the queens a few weeks ago. Those interviews last about 5 minutes and they have usually been recorded a few days before.

Looking forward to see Mika.

Thanks,  Cath!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

A short video from Bonsoir Bonsoir .

I cropped it from a teaser.

Looks like it was recorded in the same hotel room when the X Factor jury has been announced the 10th of June.

Ah thanks. So it's not very current. But I certainly don't mind hearing Mika sing Ace of Base (tho I don't understand the reason why they talked about that song). :teehee:

• Haha 1

He talks about taking classes in philosophy, international relations and Arabic, and then I think something about his album? I don't understand the presenter at all, guess that's some Canadian accent, and Mika is also hard to understand for me, so that's all I can say and I'm looking forward to get a translation. 😅

6 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Bonsoir Bonsoir

on 14 July 2020

Rancard avec une star: Mika

✨ Une belle rencontre avec MIKA où on parle de son difficile retour à l'école 🎓

FACEBOOK video

YouTube

:bow:  @Subtitling Team Help us please !!!

As I made a translation for my website, I did it in English as well for you.

English translation

Bonsoir Bonsoir 14/07/2020

RANCARD AVEC UNE STAR

Jean-Philippe Wautier and Mika

Mika: Oh. You are in a suit.

Jean-Philippe: After all, it's called "Rancard avec une star", so I thought ... but I'll tell you something. I cheat a little bit. I have an old t-shirt underneath.

M: Me too!

J-Ph: Good, good. We are meeting for the first time and I have prepared a nice introduction to tell you a little about myself.

M: OK.

J-Ph: My name is Jean-Philippe Wautier. My mother calls me Phil. I speak French, English. I understand Italian a little. I understand German quite well. I was born in Saguenay. I love cooking.

You know, this is the first "Rancard" program so I think it's good to know your stron and weak sides.

M: All you have said so far are the strong sides?

J-Ph: I think so.

M: OK.

J-Ph: What is your stron sides? Your main strength is ...

M: Seriously speaking, my weak side is impatience. This is a weakness that drives everyone crazy. I'm always unsatisfied with the situation I'm in. But it also means that ... you see ... I'm moving forward, I put a pressure.

J-Ph: Are you not ssatisfied now? It's an uncomfortable question, but be honest.

M: Life has completely changed. I was on tour ... A few weeks ago I was to perform at Center Bell. But despite all these changes, I am much more satisfied now than it was three months ago. This inhibition allowed me to take a better look at my life. I began to wonder what I could do in this free time. It doesn't mean I didn't do anything. I did many things. I actually came back to school.

J-Ph: Really?

M: I've always regretted that I couldn't ... I never studied at the university. Even if I could work in the music industry, if I work with music and I'm happy about it, it always seemed to me that I could learn many other things. That is why I took classes of philosophy, political science, international relations and learn Arabic for four days a week during lockdown. I feel like a student. Some parts of my brain work at full speed, up to pain. It's hard. I feel so stupid and humble.

J-Ph: Come on stop it.

M: At the age of 36 I start everything from the beginning and it is so difficult at this age!

J-Ph: I didn't finish my university studies. I started international relations. I haven't studied philosophy. But I always wondered if I could come back to that.

M: You could ... How old are you now, Jean-Philippe?

J-Ph: I'm old. I'm 40.

M: I wonder ... Can you imagine now that you are going back to university? You sit in the hall with all these people. And you are old. I mean, you're not old, but you would look old between them.

J-Ph: I know I would look old.

M: Everyone would go for a beer in the evening or whatever. Maybe nowaday it’s not for a beer.

J-Ph: I would be afraid of being judged. I am afraid that I will want to "rejuvenate" myself.

M: There is a saying: "How do you know you're getting older? You are starting to rejuvenate yourself”.

J-Ph: Oh ...

M: I didn't write it.

J-Ph: Maybe. But it hurts to hear that.

M: You work on television. You are 40 years old. My friend, this is a "sunset". I am in pop music. OK? It's like being a grandfather! At the age of 36!

J-Ph: Wait, wait. But your talent let you release great albums. Your last album is great. Can you imagine making a weaker record at 35? That would be a problem. I think it's good. As long as the curve goes up, it's good.

M: I've always thought that albums should grow (be more and more mature). Albums should grow even faster than I do. The stories we tell are getting the most important part... But you know what antidote I have about aging? There is one thing. And it is not that people say to me: "oh, you work with colors, your stories are colorful ... you are a bit like Peter Pan" ... then ... (Mika shows his middle finger) ... What I want to say ... Antidote to this is to stay honest ... When I write songs, when I am on stage, I become someone else ....

When I was a boy, when I was 7 years old, I used to take a table in the kitchen and change it ... my mother went into the kitchen and asked, "what is this?" And I said, "this is the scene." I took things from the kitchen and turned them into something from another world. As if it were decorations. I put my head on the table and often, when my mother came into the kitchen, she found me with my head between broccoli, eggplants and paper figures. I looked at the world that I was building and illustrated it as if it were a movie set or a theater stage. I wanted to find a way to be able to live in this construction, not just in the outside world.

J-Ph: Mika, thank you very much for this meeting ...

M: But wait. You started by introducing yourself. Wait, I took notes ... Let's move back to the place where you finished. I'm Mika, but my real name is Michael Holbrook Penniman junior. And if one day I have a son, I should call him Michael Holbrook Penniman the 3rd. Of course I won't do this, because it would be pure madness. My mother calls me - when she loves me - Mika, and when she doesn't love me - Asshole. My dad calles me... well, hedoesn't call to me most of the time.

J-Ph: I was very pleased ...

M: It was a real pleasure. Thank you. Ciao.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Antidote to this is to stay honest ... When I write songs, when I am on stage, I become someone else ....

I wanted to find a way to be able to live in this construction, not just in the outside world.

I find this an interesting contradiction. Stay honest but become someone else? I wonder how he means that. Does it make more sense in French?

He's said that he doesn't want this separation anymore between Mika and Michael, the stage personality and the private Mika, so I wonder how to interpret what he says here. 🤔

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mellody said:

I find this an interesting contradiction. Stay honest but become someone else? I wonder how he means that. Does it make more sense in French?

He's said that he doesn't want this separation anymore between Mika and Michael, the stage personality and the private Mika, so I wonder how to interpret what he says here. 🤔

This is the antidote to stay in peace with his age: to stay honest. 

He is one person in private, when he writes songs -  he is honest with himself in his creation.

He is becoming someone else on stage (he literally said: "I am changing my skin")- and there he is is honest as well with himself too.

Actually for me it's natural. I think we all have different personalities inside us. But as long we are not pretending to be someone else it's OK.

(oh, there is this line in "Rio": Maybe I'll be myself when I'm somebody else" - I hope now he feels himself both as Michael and Mika)

He always said that on stage he becomes someone else and this is his world. I think most of artists live this duality.

But he does not pretend to be someone he is not: notr in real life, nor on stage.

Age is a state of mind. As long as you don't care, you stay young :wink2: At leaste I think so. And even if I am older than Mika when somebody asks me my age I have to think twice before answering :lol3: I never remember this. I have to calculate it :lol3:

Looks like at last Mika accepted his age (even if he repeats a lot that he's 36 :wink2: ). He accepted a lot of things. But on the other hand he stayed himself. I have a feeling that all these interviews and talks help him to accept things - this is his therapy, like writing songs is his way to to find a remedy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Bonsoir Bonsoir

on 14 July 2020

Rancard avec une star: Mika

✨ Une belle rencontre avec MIKA où on parle de son difficile retour à l'école 🎓

FACEBOOK video

YouTube

Here is a whole of the episode.

Sadly I can't watch it from japan.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/bonsoir-bonsoir/site/episodes

Épisode du mardi 14 juillet 2020

Jean-Philippe Wauthier reçoit Virginie Fortin, Arnaud Soly, Antoine Olivier Pilon, Mika et Bernard Fortin.

2020-07-14_21_00_00_BONSOIRBONSOIR_0146_01.jpeg.edcd8f5323e51e96878d46eb29ad4e82.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Anna for translating this, I loved reading it! And I agree with you with how he meant it being a different Mika on stage than he is privately. I also believe we have different roles that we portray in different settings. Professional me is definitely not private me, but it is still me. I would say even the same for languages, my husband told me this too: if I speak German, English or Dutch, I become a different side of me. This has nothing to do with me changing personality, but also how the language is constructed and how cultural appropriation is within the language. I am much more open and chatty when I speak English, but more formal when I speak German 🙃 and that is purely because there is a separation in the German language between formal and informal, which is not so much the case in English. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Jean-Philippe Wauthier reçoit Virginie Fortin, Arnaud Soly, Antoine Olivier Pilon, Mika et Bernard Fortin.

2020-07-14_21_00_00_BONSOIRBONSOIR_0146_01.jpeg.edcd8f5323e51e96878d46eb29ad4e82.jpeg

Mika tells us he enjoyed studying during lockdown. He's right. Lust for knowledge is a form of intelligence. Only fools know everything 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

guess it's a full version of Mika interview

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

guess it's a full version of Mika interview

It's still without the "I saw the sign" singing - so I think it's the same, just with a bit of talk in the studio before & after thr recorded part.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

It's still without the "I saw the sign" singing - so I think it's the same, just with a bit of talk in the studio before & after thr recorded part.

We can see that the interview has been cut in postproduction. So I think they put  "I saw the sign" in a teaser only.

I would like to see the whole conversation!

• Like 3

On 7/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Kumazzz said:

https://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/32471-the-mfc-subtitling-teams-subtitled-videos/?do=findComment&comment=4191883

English is almost done as well :wink2:

EDIT: English is available now :biggrin2:

Edited by Subtitling Team
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Kumazzz said:

:canada:

7 Jours

«Demain, tu te relèveras comme tu l’as toujours fait.

La musique résonnera à nouveau depuis tes fenêtres, les corps danseront sur tes terrasses, les parfums s’échapperont de tes cuisines. Je serai là.»

— MIKA, DANS UNE LETTRE POUR BEYROUTH PUBLIÉE SUR LES RÉSEAUX SOCIAUX.

«Tomorrow you will get up as you always have.

Music will echo again from your windows, bodies will dance on your terraces, scents will escape from your kitchens. I will be there.»

- MIKA, IN A LETTER FOR BEIRUT PUBLISHED ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

page-3

2020-08-21_7Jours_p.3.thumb.jpg.81d79b055bce4454831360195fed3ec0.jpg

2020-08-21_7Jours_p.3.thumb.jpg.744eb2e3c2562811a403d436ae0ff4ac.jpg

• Like 2