Mika in Australia / New Zealand Press 2020

Kumazzz

Australia

DNA namagazine.com.au

Posted on February 10, 2020

10 Quick Questions With Mika

A lot’s happened since Mika was last in Australia. For one thing, he’s come out! Ian Horner spoke to singer/songwriter as he prepares to tour.

“So I said ‘#### you’ and that’s when I started to really write, and move, and dress from the heart.”

1. Why 11 years since you performed here?

I got so tired of asking my agents to book Australia I changed my team. This tour was booked two months later.

2. What’s been happening for you during that decade?

Moments of triumph and several crashing phases of total self-doubt. The only constants have been my partner and my songwriting.

3. What things are you revealing in the Revelation tour?

Bits of my soul. The good of me, and the ugly. Just me on stage and a fearlessness to be intimate. 

4. You came out as bi in 2010, as gay in 2012. Was it received well by everyone?

There was no ticker-tape parade. Coming out can be intense and quiet. You can get hurt in unexpected ways. I see love wins in the end. Other younger people in my family have become more open about their sexuality and the reaction’s been more relaxed.

5. Many in the business tried to change you but you learned to say “screw you!” Where did that courage and self-belief come from?

Anger! I was so angry with rigid corporate white guys who acted as gatekeepers. I ran to music to be free and found myself in the hands of an older version of the school bullies who’d made my life hell. So I said “#### you” and started to really write, and move, and dress, from the heart.

6. What was the cost of saying “#### you”?

My pop is not very commercial! But I can only do me. It makes sense when you see me live. THIS is why coming back to Australia on stage is so damn important. 

7. The album title My Name is Michael Holbrook is a strong statement of identity. Are you implying “I’m more than just MIKA”?

Yes. I’ve been nicknamed MIKA since birth. As a teenager I was mortified if anyone called me Michael. Now I try to understand all parts of my identity.

8. The love you describe on Tiny Love doesn’t sound so tiny! Why call it small?

It’s the biggest love in the whole ####ing world!!! But no one else can see it or feel it. That’s why we’ve made songs and plays and paintings about it for thousands of years. 

9. Your happy tunes often disguise darker lyrics but songs in this album dare us to throw caution to the wind. Are you happier, more settled now?

I’m more able to express when I’m happy and when I’m not. I’m much more curious about life now and in the future. If that’s happiness, then yes.

10. DNA magazine turns 20 this year and we’re bloody proud of that. What do you reckon?

It’s monumental. A year in the media is like seven in dog years which means you’re actually turning 140. And that means you’re defying the odds which is only possible if you have an emotional connection and investment from your audience. You deserve huge congratulations as it’s more and more rare. X

Revelation tour dates:

• Saturday, February 22, Auckland | Tickets
  • Monday, February 24, Brisbane | Tickets
  • Wednesday, February 26, Sydney | Tickets
  • Thursday, February 27, Melbourne | Tickets

Read the full interview in the next print edition of DNA.

LEAD_Mika2.thumb.jpg.c9f9b4697ede26f84cf3e07aeaf30ee6.jpg
  • Like 7

On 2/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, Kumazzz said:

The only constants have been my partner and my songwriting.

Hey, MFC has been there for him as well all this time! :shun:

:teehee:

Anger! I was so angry with rigid corporate white guys who acted as gatekeepers. I ran to music to be free and found myself in the hands of an older version of the school bullies who’d made my life hell. So I said “#### you” and started to really write, and move, and dress, from the heart.

"Give me the crown I own!" :kachinga:

It’s the biggest love in the whole ####ing world!!! But no one else can see it or feel it. That’s why we’ve made songs and plays and paintings about it for thousands of years. 

:wub2: It's so obvious to me meanwhile that it's about loving yourself. ❤

• Like 7

:aussie: ( Melbourne )

JOY 94.9

https://joy.org.au/madwednesdays/

Mad Wednesdays

blog-348-96.png?x99170

Airs Wednesday at 4:00pm
Subscribe to the podcast / Add to iTunes
Presented by Dean Arcuri & Robbie Latour
Email madwednesdays@joy.org.au

Join busy homosexual Dean Arcuri & the effervescent Robbie Latour every Wednesday afternoon as they take over the airwaves for Drive on JOY 94.9

Hear this dynamic duo as they are joined by celebrity guests and talk community issues and events, alongside toe tapping tunes and plenty of laughs to help you handle your hump day in style.

4-7pm every Wednesday on JOY 94.9

84348358_195119478360641_6682583028602900463_n.jpg.fbe85fbee86bf55164569395c075f742.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Mika's live interview from The Hague Parliament for the Australian TV. You remember his story from the 13th of February 2020?

Sorry I don't know who exactly recorded the news :emot-sad:

Thanks a million for recording and sharing !!!

9 NOW has uploaded the clip, but it's only available in Australia.

Mika is back! : TODAY 2020 - 9Now

https://bit.ly/38JrthJ

2020_02_19_tody_mika.thumb.jpg.bab657dc0b9f9d3b739a8f7b21687a74.jpg

2048279283_(158).thumb.png.90a54a27611347ea8aa684bb3f435b00.png

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 6:52 AM, Kumazzz said:

:aussie: ( Melbourne )

JOY 94.9

Mad Wednesdays

https://joy.org.au/madwednesdays

REPLAY

:aussie:

( Melbourne )

JOY 94.9

Mad Wednesdays

https://joy.org.au/madwednesdays/2020/02/20/mika-hits-australia-for-his-revelation-tour/

Mika hits Australia for his Revelation Tour

February 20, 2020 by Dean

International singer/songwriter sensation Mika joined Dean on MAD Wednesday ahead of his Revelation Tour hitting Australia and New Zealand.

Currently on a world tour, Mika spoke to Dean about the evolution of his sound, his latests album, and bringing his unique style of pop to live audiences.

Mika is touring Australia thanks to Frontier Touring.

• Brisbane – The Tivoli, Mon 24th Feb
  • Sydney – Enmore Theatre, 26th Feb
  • Melbourne – The Forum, 27th Feb

Get your tickets here.

🔻MP3 ( 9.1 MB ) MW-Mika-1902-1.mp3

AUDIO VIDEO

MW-Mika.jpg.2d5223743361d7a89f286e5b529b3e8e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

Mad Wednesdays

https://joy.org.au/madwednesdays/2020/02/20/mika-hits-australia-for-his-revelation-tour/

Mika hits Australia for his Revelation Tour

He mentions Germany! :wub2: Only to say that he's a different kind of artist in France than he is in Germany, but hey, at least he still sees himself as *some* kind of artist in Germany, that's a start! :naughty:

T4p! Seems it was recorded when he was in Holland.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

He mentions Germany! :wub2: Only to say that he's a different kind of artist in France than he is in Germany, but hey, at least he still sees himself as *some* kind of artist in Germany, that's a start! :naughty:

At least something :teehee:

• Like 3

On 2/20/2020 at 10:19 AM, mellody said:

Does he say anything new? 

5 minutes ago, maggie112 said:

Does he say anything new? 

About Germany? No, just that he's a different kind of artist in France than in Germany. That's definitely nothing new. :lmfao: Or do you mean in general? I think it's interesting what he says, but no news as such. Do you want me to do a transcript of the interview?

• Thanks 1

:new-zealand: New Zealand

The HITS Radio

https://www.thehits.co.nz/shows/estelle-clifford/estelle-tracks-down-mika-ahead-of-his-first-ever-nz-show/

Estelle tracks down Mika ahead of his first ever NZ show

Publish Date
Friday, 21 February 2020, 8:38PM

For the first time ever MIKA is coming to NZ with his Revelation World Tour. He's playing the Auckland Townhall on Saturday 22nd Feb.

Estelle caught up with him travelling around Vanuatu ahead of his sold out New Caledonia show, before he then makes his way to Waiheke for some tramping and a huge gig on Saturday night.

Welcome Mika and rock on for your gig here. 

Mika's fifth studio album is called 'My name is Michael Holbrook', track it down for a great listen

🔻 MP3 ( 6.2 MB ) 2020.02.21_The_HITS_Radio_Mika ahead of his first ever NZ show.mp3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:new-zealand: New Zealand

News Talk ZB

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/saturday-morning-with-jack-tame/audio/international-pop-sensation-mika-speaks-to-jack-tame/

International pop sensation MIKA speaks to Jack Tame

• Sat, 22 Feb 2020, 1:51PM

International pop sensation MIKA is currently in Auckland for his first ever show on our shores.

He is a judge on The Voice in both France and Italy.

The British singer has released his fifth studio album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook.

MIKA joined Jack Tame this morning on the show.

🔻MP3 ( 14.4 MB / 15:41 min ) 2020.02.22_NewsTalkZB_MIKA_speaks_to_Jack_Tame.mp3

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Interesting... he talks about doing an EP based on Arabic music, and he's gonna be visiting Beirut for that. And he'll be doing a project in Mexico for which he needs to speak Spanish fluently, and he has 3 months to learn it.

But am I the only one who's wondering why the presenter asks him about the Toyota Previa?! :lmfao: Maybe I missed something, as the NZ accent is a bit hard to understand for me at times. But Mika going on about that Toyota on NZ radio is just so totally random. :roftl: He told that story somewhere before, that his father would wash the Toyota with the hose from inside and there are plants growing out of it meanwhile, but they're gonna keep it alive til Mika's book gets published, then shred it and give pieces of it as relics with the book. :lmao:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, mellody said:

Interesting... he talks about doing an EP based on Arabic music, and he's gonna be visiting Beirut for that. And he'll be doing a project in Mexico for which he needs to speak Spanish fluently, and he has 3 months to learn it.

But am I the only one who's wondering why the presenter asks him about the Toyota Previa?! :lmfao: Maybe I missed something, as the NZ accent is a bit hard to understand for me at times. But Mika going on about that Toyota on NZ radio is just so totally random. :roftl: He told that story somewhere before, that his father would wash the Toyota with the hose from inside and there are plants growing out of it meanwhile, but they're gonna keep it alive til Mika's book gets published, then shred it and give pieces of it as relics with the book. :lmao:

Maybe this is the project with Danna Paola  :dunno:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mellody said:

It seems there are interesting projects to come! :biggrin2:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Maybe this is the project with Danna Paola  :dunno:

I think so too! I'm just learning Spanish again for the next 3 months (I've already learned Spanish before but I'm still at A2 level at best) so for once in my life I'm learning the RIGHT language. :naughty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I think so too! I'm just learning Spanish again for the next 3 months (I've already learned Spanish before but I'm still at A2 level at best) so for once in my life I'm learning the RIGHT language. :naughty:

:lmao: I learned it at school for one year and I can only understand the main things, but as I know French I think I can guess some word's meanings. :naughty: So I hope it'll be enough. :teehee:

• Like 1