Me, Myself - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Mikasister

Never thought I'd say this about something that Mika is part of but I'm really not that keen on the song or the video. Is it just me or do Mika's parts in the video seem badly edited in? When I watched it his singing didn't match his mouth movement but Danna's did... I don't think I would have minded if Mika wasn't in the video, to me his parts don't really 'fit', but that's just my opinion. 

As for the song itself, I do like the lyrics of it (and Mika singing of course! 😄) but I also agree it's quite melancholic but again the electronic part doesn't quite sit right 😕. I'll have to listen to it more and see if it grows on me...

Also a little annoyed that I stayed up till midnight again only to realise that the song would be released 1am UK time. I fell asleep before then but I'm still tired 😴 

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Is it just me or do Mika's parts in the video seem badly edited in? When I watched it his singing didn't match his mouth movement but Danna's did..

What video are you talking about? I thought it will be released in one hour :huh:

3 minutes ago, krysady said:

What video are you talking about? I thought it will be released in one hour :huh:

I think it will be released at 5 pm but Mexican time so for example for me it's midnight... But I might be wrong. 

11 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

You mean to tell me this isn't the official video which I watched about 10 hours ago?

Noooo, it's fake :aah: Here's the official one: 

Edited by krysady
  • Like 4

I watched the video premiere together with about 13,000 Danna Paola fans and a few Mika fans. 😅 The livechat was going crazy. :teehee: And my daughter keeps distracting me, so I don't have an opinion about the video yet, I don't understand the story so far. I'll watch again later when I have more time. ;)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, krysady said:

Noooo, it's fake :aah: 

:doh:

No wonder it's such a bad edit! 😂

I've just watched the actual one and it's much better! I really like it. It's quite simple yet effective and makes me like the song more. I hope Mika does more Spanish songs in the future! 

I think the reason why I didn't like it at first is because I didn't know much about Danna before now, and I realise it's not a Mika song, it's completely hers with Mika as a guest. Their voices do work well together too 😊

• Like 7

14 hours ago, NancylovesM said:

So, do we know who wrote this song? Did they write it together?  Or is Mika singing her song with her? Sorry if this has already been asked and I missed it.  🤷‍♀️

According to Genius, these are the songwriters: 

Written ByJames AlexanderDani BlauAle AlbertiMIKA & Danna Paola

https://genius.com/Danna-paola-and-mika-me-myself-lyrics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I'll have to listen to it more and see if it grows on me...

It's only been a few hours and this is actually working by listening to it on repeat! 

Reading the full lyrics in English I can actually relate to them, not sure if that's depressing or enlightening, or a little bit of both... 

From not being keen at first, to then liking the song fairly quickly... you'll see I'll be saying I love this song in a minute 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So she wrote the song in November 2018 and this year in January she got the chance to sing it with Mika, if I got it right? Even though Mika is credited too, I guess they made some final touches together in the studio... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

So she wrote the song in November 2018 and this year in January she got the chance to sing it with Mika, if I got it right? Even though Mika is credited too, I guess they made some final touches together in the studio... 

:thumb_yello:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

In that Mexican interview they said they wrote it together in Miami. :dunno:

The video is nice, but I still don't really understand the story. If the song is about loving yourself, as she says in that interview, then who is the "you" that she's without now? Someone who told her what to do, maybe? Her managers or parents? I read today on Wikipedia that she started acting and making music at the age of 4 or 5, she was already a star as a child, I suppose that was not her own decision at that age... But that video is more like getting together than separating from someone who's not good for you. Yin and Yang... I wonder whether it's supposed to be the same story as Tiny Love, two sides of the same person?

Edit: I just read the interview again and she says it's about stopping to fight against yourself - so maybe the "you" in the song is that part of her that she fought against?

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

In that Mexican interview they said they wrote it together in Miami. :dunno:

Maybe she began to write part of the song and when they met in Miami Mika made some changes and then together finished it to what it is now.  :dunno:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Maybe she began to write part of the song and when they met in Miami Mika made some changes and then together finished it to what it is now.  :dunno:

Yes, maybe. I just read the interview again and in the first question she said they composed it together in Miami, while later they say she had written it a year ago and told Mika about it. So I suppose it's as you say, that she started writing the song and they finished it together.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mellody said:

But that video is more like getting together than separating from someone who's not good for you. Yin and Yang... I wonder whether it's supposed to be the same story as Tiny Love, two sides of the same person?

I have the same idea about Tiny Love.

In Me Myself at the begining a person in black is in a white room and a person in white is in black room.

There is a glass wall between them - a separation, non acceptance (of him/herself or someone outside who blessed you?)

Then slowly persons start to watch at themselves, they start to smile and the wall disappear. 

Then the person in white is in the white room and the person in black is in black room. Everything become harmony.

At the end we see the Ying Yang symbol. There is a little bit of black in white and a little white in black. And this is harmony too.

• Like 2

The video made me understand the song more and now it’s growing on me 😊 

Cleverly done, I like the symbolism of conflict, separation through a small window, the window becoming bigger and eventually there is no separation and they are reuniting in harmony. 

A metaphor for many aspects in our life, at least I could identify with it right away. I can understand why this song is important to Danna, because it is her interpretation of (a vital part of) maturing. 

• Like 2

Danna Paola in her Insta Live is answering her fans questions.

The first one was about the meaning of the video.

She explains as how it happened to work with Mika.

Anybody can translate it from Spanish? I understand a lot. But she is speaking so fast!

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska

38 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Danna Paola in her Insta Live is answering her fans questions.

The first one was about the meaning of the video.

Anybody can translate it from Spanish? I understand a lot. But she is speaking so fast!

The only thing I understand is Yin & Yang, and that also just because she has it on her fingernails. 😅 I was so proud of myself 1 or 2 weeks ago when for the first time I managed to understand about 90% of a French interview, and also Italian I start understanding better and better... and now he starts speaking Spanish, of which I understand practically nothing - I'm going crazy! :hair: :lmfao::doh:

@Mikasister now's your turn, you wanted him to speak Spanish, now please help us poor people to understand him & what's said about him & his work. :lol3: Also the lyrics translation by Google that I posted earlier, is it fairly accurate?

Edit: Danna also mentions depression at some point in her answer, if I understand it right? Maybe that's the "you" in the song, depressions? The line 'I ran out of tears in my eyes' would fit to that.

• Haha 2

At the end of this part she also sings a part of the song and talks a bit about the lyrics (it starts at 11:00)... 

She says that when she sings "soy yo sin ti" she doesn't mean without another person but without the other part of a person... And that she leaves it behind in the past. 

3 hours ago, mellody said:

so maybe the "you" in the song is that part of her that she fought against?

Yes, I think that's what she means... 

• Like 3

Well, more or less. She says it's a song made from the heart. About the video she says that represents the duality we humans being have. The dark side and the light side we all have in moments of our lifes and talks about we have to accept that black side. About the song, she wrote it in November of 2018, it's not a song for anyone but a song for herself. Talks about accepting and loving yourself as you are and also accepting bad times.

Abou Mika, says that he's one of the artists admires the most in the music industry. She's being his fan  since 10 years ago. And it has been incredible working  with Mika,  who is so gifted on a musical and mental level. He has collaborated in the lyrics and music somenone who always has a thousand ideas and it's there all the time. Professional, available, divine a great human being and ohh of course he spaks a lot of languages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3