MFC - get together - NY - April 4th?

Sivan

NYC MFC Get-Together  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be a part of the MFC Get-Together in New York on 4 April 2022?

• Yes, count me in!
    • It depends on the price.
    • No, I'd rather do something else.

1 minute ago, dcdeb said:

OK, so it doesn't look like we're going to have as many MFCers in New York as I thought... so maybe my original idea won't work.

I had thought, in keeping with the MFC Tour Boat idea, that we could do a Circle Line tour around the Statue of Liberty. If we had enough people we could have had a private area, but it doesn't look like there will be enough of us for that.

So... maybe, if anyone is in town early enough and they want to do a cruise around the harbor, we can do that just as regular passengers. And instead, we'll plan for a nice group dinner or drinks party that night before the gig.

What do you think?

How many do we need for the boat private area?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sivan said:

How many do we need for the boat private area?

I'm not sure exactly, but more than 10. Maybe 50 or so, so that it could be a price we can afford.

3 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I'm not sure exactly, but more than 10. Maybe 50 or so, so that it could be a price we can afford.

Oh 50 I doubt will happen unless we walk around NY converting people last minute to mika's fandom 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

For the number we have now we can do inflatable boat? Anyone? What do you think? 🤣

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Sivan said:

For the number we have now we can do inflatable boat? Anyone? What do you think? 🤣

A dinghy?! LOL!

Honestly, I wasn't sure how many European fans were coming to New York... and there are actually quite a few fans in the area who I am sure are coming to the gig, but just aren't as active on MFC any more. I'll contact some and see what their plans are.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

A dinghy?! LOL!

Honestly, I wasn't sure how many European fans were coming to New York... and there are actually quite a few fans in the area who I am sure are coming to the gig, but just aren't as active on MFC any more. I'll contact some and see what their plans are.

Yes! With some drinks and sandwiches 😂😂😂 no dancing though cause we will end up in the water 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Sivan said:

Yes! With some drinks and sandwiches 😂😂😂 no dancing though cause we will end up in the water 🤣🤣🤣

No problem, it has to be a Mika inflatable boat and we can breathe under water. :wink2:

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Prisca said:

No problem, it has to be a Mika inflatable boat and we can breathe under water. :wink2:

I don't think it really works.... I think Mika is saying it as a metaphor..... Hmmmm I guess we can check? 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Just been looking on the website. Private areas are available for between 30 and 70 people. 15+ qualifies as a 'group' but I can't see any details of what that provides other than a possible discount. 

I like the sound of the harbour tour, and the dinner/party later. What time were you thinking for the boat tour? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dcdeb said:

OK, so it doesn't look like we're going to have as many MFCers in New York as I thought... so maybe my original idea won't work.

I had thought, in keeping with the MFC Tour Boat idea, that we could do a Circle Line tour around the Statue of Liberty. If we had enough people we could have had a private area, but it doesn't look like there will be enough of us for that.

So... maybe, if anyone is in town early enough and they want to do a cruise around the harbor, we can do that just as regular passengers. And instead, we'll plan for a nice group dinner or drinks party that night before the gig.

What do you think?

Hi,

Romy  and me will arrive in NY the day of the gig in the morning.

We planned to see the Statue of Liberty, from near or far, we don't know how...So, what do you mean by "early enough"  Deb ?

Because we could be in for a little cruise with some of you !

And in of course for the MFC get together ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marab said:

Hi,

Romy  and me will arrive in NY the day of the gig in the morning.

We planned to see the Statue of Liberty, from near or far, we don't know how...So, what do you mean by "early enough"  Deb ?

Because we could be in for a little cruise with some of you !

And in of course for the MFC get together ! 

Salut Mara! You arrive April 5th in New York from Boston? Deb is talking about doing a get together the day before, April 4th :wink2:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Salut Mara! You arrive April 5th in New York from Boston? Deb is talking about doing a get together the day before, April 4th :wink2:

Hi Michelle,

Sorry, I was wrong, in fact we arrive in New York from Boston 4th April , not the 5th !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Great! What time do you arrive? I haven’t booked my domestic flights yet from NY to Boston and back, waiting for what they have planned :wink2:

We arrive at 9.30 in the morning in NY the 4th, but in La GUARDIA airport which is quite far from Brooklyn...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marab said:

We arrive at 9.30 in the morning in NY the 4th, but in La GUARDIA airport which is quite far from Brooklyn...

I don’t think @dcdebwill plan something for the early morning, since many will arrive during the day on the 4th and she wants to include as many as possible (but this is a guess! Deb will have to confirm before I say something that is not true), so I think that is more than fine!

• Like 4

I booked an airbnb in Brooklyn from the 4th to the 5th, so i guess I'm in! Whether I'll be coming from Boston or Philadelphia & what time on the 4th remains to be seen.

If we really wanna take a boat ride & don't have enough for a private tour the Staten Island Ferry is free & runs 24/7...

Today the Staten Island Ferry provides 22 million people a year (70,000 passengers a day not including weekend days) with ferry service between St. George on Staten Island and Whitehall Street in lower Manhattan. The Staten Island Ferry is run by the City of New York for one pragmatic reason: To transport Staten Islanders to and from Manhattan. Yet, the 5-mile, 25-minute ride also provides a majestic view of New York Harbor and a no-hassle, even romantic, boat ride, for free! One guide book calls it "One of the world's greatest (and shortest) water voyages." From the deck of the ferry you will have a perfect view of The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You'll see the skyscrapers and bridges of Lower Manhattan receding as you pull away and coming into focus again as you return. 

https://www.siferry.com/schedules.html

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Please let me know what everybody decides when we’re meeting in New York. I fly in on April 2 LaGuardia I’m planning to stay in New York City on April 2 and April 3  and then I’ll be in Brooklyn April 4  and April 6 then fly  back to Houston  on April 6.  I was so excited being on the Instagram live yesterday and I look forward to meeting everybody in New York.

• Like 2

Any thoughts on where/what type of restaurant/in what part of NYC we might have our MFC dinner? 

I was going to suggest the Dylan's Candy Bar (yes, candy can be dinner!) where Mika went, but I just found out it recently closed!

mikajoinscontestwinnersshoppingrampagedp

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kreacher said:

Any thoughts on where/what type of restaurant/in what part of NYC we might have our MFC dinner? 

I was going to suggest the Dylan's Candy Bar (yes, candy can be dinner!) where Mika went, but I just found out it recently closed!

mikajoinscontestwinnersshoppingrampagedp

That’s so cute, too bad it is closed now!

I am not familiar in NYC, as it has been 14 years since I’ve last been. Our neighbours however have lived there for 10+ years and I could ask them for recommendations? 

We are looking for something good for all palates (vegan/vegetarian to meat/fish, both healthy and sinful options), reasonably priced (what is reasonable for a main dish for you guys? Up to 15-20 USD without tip?). 

Also, location: is everyone staying in or close to Brooklyn? Then it might be worth looking there instead of Manhattan. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

We are looking for something good for all palates (vegan/vegetarian to meat/fish, both healthy and sinful options), reasonably priced (what is reasonable for a main dish for you guys? Up to 15-20 USD without tip?). 

I have no idea about the prices in New York. :lol3: I guess something that is standard price is ok for me. :original:

Also, location: is everyone staying in or close to Brooklyn? Then it might be worth looking there instead of Manhattan. 

My accommodation is in Brooklyn, but Manhattan is also ok for me. And since I've never been to New York, I really need to see the Statue of Liberty at least from a distance at some point before I leave New York. :lol3:

Our neighbours however have lived there for 10+ years and I could ask them for recommendations? 

That sounds good! :yes:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

That’s so cute, too bad it is closed now!

I am not familiar in NYC, as it has been 14 years since I’ve last been. Our neighbours however have lived there for 10+ years and I could ask them for recommendations? 

Yeah, $15-20 for an entrée at a not-too-fancy place is about average for New York I think.

I was asking because I'm staying in Brooklyn & will need to check-in sometime in the afternoon on the 4th, but I'd be coming from Manhattan so :dunno: ...maybe it's way too soon for me to be fretting about this kind of thing but that's how i am

A couple times after Mika gigs a bunch of us went to a Ukrainian place called Veselka because it was open very late. Otherwise I've mostly gone to chain restaurants for meals in NYC :blush:

36 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I have no idea about the prices in New York. :lol3: I guess something that is standard price is ok for me. :original:

My accommodation is in Brooklyn, but Manhattan is also ok for me. And since I've never been to New York, I really need to see the Statue of Liberty at least from a distance at some point before I leave New York. :lol3:

That sounds good! :yes:

I've been to NYC like 6 times and have never seen the pretty Statue of Liberty except once, from a window in Brooklyn faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away on a very grey & rainy day. Just looked like a 4 inch tall green blob. I hope your view of it is much better!

• Like 1