MFC - get together - NY - April 4th?

Sivan

NYC MFC Get-Together  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be a part of the MFC Get-Together in New York on 4 April 2022?

• Yes, count me in!
    • It depends on the price.
    • No, I'd rather do something else.

9 hours ago, dcdeb said:

While I'm waiting for one more call back, I wanted to remember to say that I am arriving in NYC around noon on April 4. My train is supposed to arrive in Penn Station at 12:12 p.m., but I'm sure it will be closer to 12:30. It will probably take me at least a half hour to get to my hotel from there and after that... well, I'll be trying to find you all! It is really happening, isn't it? :excite:

I feel like a Pokémon, you‘re going to catch us all :biggrin2: 

And yes, it’s really happening 🎉🎉🎉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

OK, finally getting back to you all with some info.

After calling numerous places, I've narrowed it down to a couple, and wanted to get some feedback before I committed to anything, since these places require deposits for groups of 20 or more. Here are what I think are our best options:

1. Gigino's at Wagner Park. Italian restaurant in Battery Park that has beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty. Set price menu of $55/person includes appetizer, entree, dessert -- drinks, taxes and tip would be extra. It would be a shared space (no private room) and if the weather is good we can be outdoors. Dinner would last 2.5 hours.

Here's their website:

https://gigino-wagnerpark.com/

Don't judge by their regular menu -- the way it would work is we would pick several options from a list, then they make up  special menu for us. Then when we get there, we order off that pre-selected menu. They have several vegetarian and vegan options, and I think they would even do gluten-free if you need it. Don't worry, they are not super fancy, even though they have linen tablecloths! They also have plastic chairs! ;)

They also have a winter prix-fixe menu that is due to expire March 31, but that they would honor for us. It's less expensive, but the problem is that there are NO SUBSTITUTIONS. Not sure if that would work for us, but I'm attaching it so you can see for yourselves.

WP-2021-Winter-Pre-Fix-Menu-1-column-With-Dates-for-website-1187x1536.jpg

2. Carmine's in Times Square - Italian restaurant. Choice of 3 different set price menus ($67, $77 and $87 per person) includes 3 courses. Drinks, taxes, tip extra. Also a shared space (adjacent tables in their main dining room) for 2 hours. I've attached their full menus so you can see the choices.

CARMINES-DINNER_STD_ALL_S67.00_C77.00_N87.00-1.pdfCARMINES-DINNER_STD_ALL_S67.00_C77.00_N87.00-1.pdf

3. Bowlero in Times Square. Bowling with food. They'll work with us to come up with a price, but have suggested one of the following two options:

Super Bowl Package - $75/pp including all taxes & fees

• 2 hours of unlimited bowling on 4 side by side lanes
  • Complimentary shoe rentals for 20 guests
  • Replenished buffet with 3 food selections
  • 2 drinks per person (redeemable for a well liquor cocktail, a bottled beer, a glass of draft beer, or a glass of wine

Rock & Bowl Package - - $56/pp including all taxes & fees

• 2 hours of unlimited bowling on 4 side by side lanes
  • Complimentary shoe rentals for 20 guests
  • Replenished buffet with 2 food selections
  • A few pitchers of soda

Note that this is not a full dinner, just "finger foods" like:

Boneless Chicken Wings
Cheese and Fruit Platter
Chicken Tenders
Chips & Salsa
Mozzarella Sticks
Pizza
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Spring Rolls

Obviously, there are other restaurants that have similar offerings -- the thing is we're a bigger group, so we can't do a regular reservation, but we're not a HUGE group and so they don't want to give us a private party room. Plus the cost for that would be more $$$.

I'm running this all by you because, as I said, they require a deposit for a big group like this and I didn't want to make the decision without consulting you all. So please let me know as quick as you can so we can finalize this -- it's just a month away! :excite:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

1. Gigino's at Wagner Park. Italian restaurant in Battery Park that has beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty. Set price menu of $55/person includes appetizer, entree, dessert -- drinks, taxes and tip would be extra. It would be a shared space (no private room) and if the weather is good we can be outdoors. Dinner would last 2.5 hours.

Thank you Deb for your research!!! Much much appreciated!

I will attend whatever we do, but have to say that Gigino’s at Wagner Park does sound best! Wish a great view and great company ☺️

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 3

I think we agree: Gigino sounds good and that I leave New York without seeing the Statue of Liberty is greatly reduced. :biggrin2:

Thank you Deb for organizing everything. :flowers2:

Let's hope we can find twenty people who want to attend. :crossed:

• Like 4

OK, great! Thank you all for your input!

I need a number to give them, so they know how many of us to expect. If you're planning to come, please let me know, either here or privately somehow. I'm guessing we might be as many 25, as I've heard from a few others who aren't active on this thread.

Also, if you have special dietary issues -- vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free, allergies, etc. -- let me know so I can warn them in advance.

Again, thanks so much!

ONE MORE MONTH! I CAN'T WAIT!

• Like 6

On 2/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, dcdeb said:

super fancy

we have vastly different definitions of "super fancy" :lol3:

Bowlero sounds fun, but Gigino's seems like the best option. I've no special dietary considerations (other than a long list of things I don't ever want near my mouth but the winter prix-fixe menu has a couple okay options)

The location looks exciting! I've never really been in that area before

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I need a number to give them, so they know how many of us to expect. If you're planning to come, please let me know, either here or privately somehow. I'm guessing we might be as many 25, as I've heard from a few others who aren't active on this thread.

Also, if you have special dietary issues -- vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free, allergies, etc. -- let me know so I can warn them in advance.

Again, thanks so much!

Hi Deb, thanks so much for this! I'm mostly vegetarian (although not a huge fan of mushrooms or goats cheese, which seem to be the usual alternatives) - I do eat some fish, but not shellfish or squid/octopus.

I know, I'm a picky one. 🙃 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

The winter prix fixe menu looks really good if that’s what we’re going for. And I already know what I will want to eat :lol3:

I can make it work, there's 2 starters and one dessert I can have, and one main if I scrape the mushrooms off. :lol3: 

Does anybody want my spare mushrooms? :biggrin2:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hero said:

I can make it work, there's 2 starters and one dessert I can have, and one main if I scrape the mushrooms off. :lol3: 

Does anybody want my spare mushrooms? :biggrin2:

sorry, mushrooms are like #7 on my list of things i never ever plan to ingest again. "Sautéed" sounds like they'll be chunky and obvious for you to find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Me me me!!! 

(Please people, don’t all order mushrooms and scrape them off onto my plate. I like mushrooms, but not 25 servings of them!)

Deal! :lol3:

On that note, if anyone doesn't want their vanilla rum sauce, I'll take it. 😋 :naughty:

• Haha 3

I don't tolerate gluten very well, so I try not to eat too much of it. So I would really appreciate it if I could have gluten-free pasta (the menu says you can substitute the regular pasta with gluten-free if you pay $3 extra, I'm happy to do that). If the majority go with the winter prix fixe menu, I'm fine with that. :original:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Again, thanks so much!

Hi Deb,

thank you for all this research.

As people lost in New York, Romy and me at least we'll have one place to eat !

So, the Gigino's restaurant is perfect for both of us , we'll be there .

Ang we eat all kind of food.

Can't wait !!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dcdeb said:

If you're planning to come, please let me know, either here or privately somehow.

I will be there!  :thumb_yello:

I have booked a hotel room in Midtown area, Manhattan. Is there anyone who will stay in the same area?

NaoMika☆

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 12:26 PM, kreacher said:

we have vastly different definitions of "super fancy" :lol3:

Bowlero sounds fun, but Gigino's seems like the best option. I've no special dietary considerations (other than a long list of things I don't ever want near my mouth but the winter prix-fixe menu has a couple okay options)

The location looks exciting! I've never really been in that area before

23 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

The winter prix fixe menu looks really good if that’s what we’re going for. And I already know what I will want to eat :lol3:

21 hours ago, Prisca said:

I don't tolerate gluten very well, so I try not to eat too much of it. So I would really appreciate it if I could have gluten-free pasta (the menu says you can substitute the regular pasta with gluten-free if you pay $3 extra, I'm happy to do that). If the majority go with the winter prix fixe menu, I'm fine with that. :original:

OK, just want to clarify here -- as I understand it, we either ALL need to do the winter prix-fixe menu, or ALL need to do the $55/person menu. I want to be sure we're all on the same page before I commit to anything.

The winter prix-fixe menu will not allow us to make any substitutions. So I was planning to tell the restaurant that we were going to go the other route. With that, I choose from a long list of options and then they will make a shorter menu for the group.

Here are the options I have to choose from -- as you can see, I will choose 3 starters, 4 entrees and 3 desserts. Then when we go to order on the night of the dinner, those will be the choices we have, and we'll choose 1 from each category. Am I making sense?  I know we'll probably never all agree on everything, but you can give me your reactions to these and I'll eliminate any clear YUCK NO WAY options.

Or I can tell them we want to do the $35/person Winter Prix Fixe menu, if you all think you can find something there.

ANTIPASTI  E  INSALATE

Choose 3

Bruschetta

Grilled Italian bread with fresh tomato, basil, garlic, and olive oil

Caprese

Capri style tomato and mozzarella salad with basil, oregano and olive oil

Bresaola

Thinly sliced dried beef over arugula with mushrooms, cornichons, lemon & truffle oil

Calamari Fritti

Fried calamari served with a spicy tomato sauce

Esotica

Hearts of palm, artichokes, tomatoes, avocado, cannellini beans, marinated mushrooms, mozzarella over mesclun

Peperina

Thinly sliced pear and Grana Padano cheese over arugula salad with walnuts and julienne peppers

Mesculanza

Mesclun with vinaigrette dressing

Melanzane alla Sorrentina

Baked eggplant with tomato, mozzarella, basil and parmesan cheese

ENTRÉE

Choose 4

Pappardelle San Marzano

Pappardelle pasta with san marzano tomato, garlic, olive oil and basil

Ravioli alla Positanese

Cheese ravioli with mushrooms, sausage, peas and tomato sauce

Penne alla Vodka 

Penne with onions, ham, fresh tomato, light cream, parmesan cheese

and a splash of vodka

Orecchiette con Broccoli e Salsiccia

Orecchiette pasta with sausage, broccoli rabe, garlic and olive oil

Spaghetti del Padrino

Gigino’s signature dish of spaghetti with beets, escarole, 

garlic, olive oil, colatura and crispy crumbs

Gnocchi con Polpette

Homemade potato gnocchi with

veal and beef meatballs  in a tomato ragu

Rigatoni Pulcinella 

Rigatoni pasta with veal and pork

sausage in a cream sauce with parmesan cheese

Tortellini alla Buongustaia

Tortellini with ham, peas, mushrooms in a light cream sauce

Farfalle Isabella

Bowtie pasta with chicken, broccoli, roasted

bell peppers sauce, garlic and olive oil

Risotto alla Pescatore

Italian rice with mixed seafood in a light tomato sauce

Salmone alla Griglia            

Grilled marinated salmon over romaine, arugula, cucumbers & pickled onions over herbed oil

Salmone Capperi e Olive 

Salmon sautéed with tomato, capers & olives with potato gnocchi

Salmone Agrodolce

Broiled salmon with capers, pearl onions, white wine & butter served with zucchini

Pollo al Limone

Egg batter coated chicken breast sautéed with white wine, butter and lemon

Scaloppine di Pollo

Herbed breadcrumb coated chicken scaloppine

with cannellini beans, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and spinach

Pollo Scarpariello

Chunks of chicken sautéed with garlic, olive oil and herbs, flavored with prosciutto and white wine

DOLCE

Choose 3

Tiramisu

Gigino style tiramisu

Budino di Pane Dolce

Panettone bread pudding with rum vanilla sauce

Torta di Formaggio

Homemade American style cheesecake

Pastiera alla Napoletana

Napoli style grain and ricotta cheesecake with orange blossom essence

Torta di Mandorle e Cioccolato

Almond and chocolate tart with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce