Music Video for Apocalypse Calypso

Kumazzz

20 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

I know he knows. I know he cares. Maybe he just feels as helpless as so many people do:dunno:…so, it’s like, if it’s the end of the world let’s f****!

His work has (always? I can’t answer this; I haven’t been a fan for long enough to know) been about poetic resistance rather than making a very specific statement. He answers with beauty, lyrics and imagery that is completely open to interpretation and in this way also inclusive; in the poetic sense of the word. That’s how I interpret his work anyway.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

His work has (always? I can’t answer this; I haven’t been a fan for long enough to know) been about poetic resistance rather than making a very specific statement. He answers with beauty, lyrics and imagery that is completely open to interpretation and in this way also inclusive; in the poetic sense of the word. That’s how I interpret his work anyway.  

Yes we always debate a lot about the meaning of his videos. Tiny Love has so many possible interpretations for example. And we all see his art through our eyes and our own experiences but we certainly all agree that the beauty he creates gives us lots of happiness :wub2: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Although I truly love analyzing Mika’s music and videos, right now I am just enjoying the ride. There have been so many new melodies and new visuals! I feel it’s such a candid and poppy album, it shows a different side of him that is also very much him. It just makes me very curious for the rest of the album and his storytelling. 

I do have to admit that not being able to understand everything right away due to the language barrier is a little hurdle I have to overcome to get a feel for the song. However, thanks to Mika I am embracing the French language more and much faster. It’s already enriching me! 

So when the tour comes I can actually say more than just “bonjour” and “baguette” :wink2:

I'm glad you're embracing French thanks to Mika :hi5:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

To me the different characters in the video symbolize different ways of what people define as immortality, what they try to do or be, to become immortal. Rich (the gold), made out of steel (the mirror suit that not even welding can destroy in the video), an angel (if you're good in this life, the Bible promises you a place in Heaven), cloning, a robot - not sure yet about the car and the piano. Fame, maybe. Beauty? Music? Status symbols? I think I'll have to watch a few more times. I didn't particularly like the video when I first watched it, especially because I don't like seeing Mika as an angel. I don't like angels much tbh, and Mika surely isn't one (and I'm glad about that). So this video, same as the album cover, that imply in a way that he is, bother me. Which is ok, art isn't meant to please everyone, but it also is supposed to bother people, to make them think. I love the feeling of falling on a warm soft fluffy cushion when I listen to Mika or look at / listen to his art / music. Even some of his sad songs can make me feel like that, but not this song, not this video, not the album cover. I think I can learn something from it tho, that it can open new perspectives for me. At least I hope so, and that it's more than "the dark fairytales are the best ones" and "I like putting skulls on everything" that he used to do. I'm glad the skulls are gone but I can't say that I like angels much more. :teehee:

Edit: Ah yes, another reason why I don't like the video much (yet) is that I miss the reference to the positive message of the song, that being with the person or the people you love can make you feel like nothing can hurt you. Maybe that's what Jobs and his wife are supposed to symbolize, and maybe Mika would have preferred if Andy had been sitting next to him on the car but Andy didn't want to be in the video? But well, if that short scene of Jobs and his wife is supposed to represent this, it's very easy to miss this meaning. :dunno:

I agree with you, the lyric video is a lot more true to the lyrics and to the meaning of the song. I always picture a couple dancing when I listen to that song and Mika is alone...but it is similar to Elle Me Dit video or Tiny Love video  it was impossible to make the video stick to the story because the story is too private for that in my opinion. Various couples kissing including LGBT÷ couples as in "Make you happy" video or dancing or riding into a car going too fast could have been getting the message in a different way but the thing is for me the meaning is a bit lost...but it had to be a "serious" and "theatrical" and 'symbolic" video because the lyrics needed to be toned down by the images....as much as I love watching Mika I prefer C'est la vie video and Tomorrow video and Staring at the sun video because he looks free and natural. So the lyric video is my fav for now.  Hopefully he will explain more about it in a while.... 

I hope there will also be a fans video for Apocalypse Calypso because I love singing it so much and I find it easier to sing than C'est la vie. I have been listening to it almost non stop since it's out so I'm ready for the karaoke anyway :naughty: :fangurl: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, QueenBigFat said:

Thanks for all that. I can’t believe I am going to have to open accounts in all the social media companies I have avoided just to follow Mika! 

But as to helping me understand….it just gives me more that I need to understand!!:lol3:

…was that drone music in the video? I somehow missed it/him/them. Although it is a very timely image politically. When I posted that very unpopular first reaction to this song, and talked about politics, the state of the world, I was really not just referring to recent events, and I certainly wasn’t suggesting that I expected Mika to take sides. I was however expecting a song with that title to somehow reflect the increasingly awful impact that events have had on humanoids, especially queer ones, in the past 6+ years. In this country we are on the precipice, and then there is, you know, so much suffering happening and coming everywhere ….I know he knows. I know he cares. Maybe he just feels as helpless as so many people do:dunno:…so, it’s like, if it’s the end of the world let’s f****! (BTW, why are we all being so careful to spell it in symbols when Mika says it outright??????!

If we write the f word on MFC it will be censored. That's why it was replaced by :chkn:long ago :wink2:

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm as underwhelmed by this video as I am by the song.

tbh I must admit I've never thought very much of Mika's videos - some are OK but most of them just say "art school project" to me.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I guess we can't all love  everything.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, silver said:

tbh I must admit I've never thought very much of Mika's videos - some are OK but most of them just say "art school project" to me.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I guess we can't all love  everything.

I think we all agree on the beauty of his voice :wub2: but obviously we all can't love everything :thumb_yello: Although I believe he could sing the dictionary and I would love it :naughty: but I do have my fav songs and videos and some songs and videos I always skip too.

Mika is fine with that too :thumb_yello:

I'm playing pikmin bloom at the moment and I'm giving my pikmins Mika's songs names and I love it :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

let’s f****! (BTW, why are we all being so careful to spell it in symbols when Mika says it outright??????!

for the simple reason that writing too many words like this on the forum will attract the spam bots.

41 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

it was impossible to make the video stick to the story because the story is too private for that in my opinion.

Well, of course they couldn't show the details as they are described in the lyrics :mf_rosetinted: but as I said, if you look at it more generally, just being together instead of actually :chkn:, it would have well been possible. And I think that Mika does have this interpretation in mind as well, although it originally came from a very specific idea, but, as he said, he wants do do the show for his tour in the same way, just without :chkn:. So if he plans to do that, imo he could've done the same for his music video.

However, I do see a story in there, connected to the song. I'm not sure yet about all the details, but the more often I watch, the more details I notice. Mika as an angel makes the globe spin at the beginning of the video with his hands and makes it stop at the end. I'm not sure yet how to interpret angel Mika lying under that globe. The weight of the world pressing down on him, as Deb said was my first thought. But he's kind of caressing the globe with his hands at times during the video. Also I'm not sure, at the beginning and the end of the video he has his eyes closed. Is he sleeping? Or dead? Does it stand for the randomness of the world, that angel Mika is some sort of God (there we have that again)... who can make the world turn or stop as he wishes, playing with it like with a toy? As long as he loves the earth (caressing it with his hands) it's turning, and then he has enough of it and makes it stop.

That is another thing, I'm trying to find love in the video. There surely is a lot of sensuality, but I assume that the point of the song isn't just f*ing any random person during the apocalypse but being with the one you love, expressing your love for each other (in Mika's definition: :chkn:). And that is what I can't find (yet) and that bothers me. The video is full of beautiful images, full of sensuality, but where is the love? Also Job and his wife... my thought when I first watched it was "ah, they asked Mika to get a little role in the video, doesn't have to make sense" - the images of the two of them on the car look pretty, but they just fail to bring any emotions across to me.

The yellow-white Mika also still confuses me. I first thought he was supposed to be a robot, because of the robot-like dance, but yeah, as Anna says, he could also be a "toy boy", a marionette. The yellow looks like it's plastic. Or maybe it's supposed to represent some sort of protection, maybe something like a suit against radioactivity (btw I just looked up the word and apparently the English expression for this is "banana suit" - there we have the sweetie banana reference again, lol!). Anyway, I still assume that the different roles represent different ways of dealing with the (possible) apocalypse, different ways of how people try to become "immortal in the face of the apocalypse".

I like the video more the more I watch it, it does have beautiful images. Right away I loved the glittering of the glitter globe and the cloned Mikas, that made me laugh! :lmfao: Finally enough Mikas for each of us! :naughty: And I also like the winged piano meanwhile. At first I didn't, because I was already thinking too far and too logical, of Mika not being able to dance on it during the tour - but for the tour it might be different again, or a completely different piano, who knows - maybe the flower piano again, I think that has to be my fave of all the pianos he's had over the years. Anyway, in the video the winged piano looks beautiful, and everything else is just me thinking too far and worrying about things I might not have to worry about at all. 😅

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyaboutmika said:

If we write the f word on MFC it will be censored.

I mean that's a rule we / the mods came up with ourselves though (right?). I've also been thinking about asking this in the lyrics discussion. What I'm a bit confused about is "on baise" is fine because it's in French but the literal translation "we f***" needs censoring because it's in English? And for example in popular "sh*t" is censored but the f-slur is spelled out?! All seems a bit arbitrary to me. Which I understand that's what rules are and you have to draw the line somewhere especially if you're in a space that's supposed to be inclusive to people of all ages. But at the same time I think there's also value in being able to quote lyrics as they are and freely discussing songs that are about sex.

Now I got entirely distracted by that and forgot what I came here to write about the music video, but basically I like it! :D

I like the contrast between the apocalyptic setting (warehouse dumpster fire) and the beautiful and sparkly clothes, props, etc. Maybe the general message is that we can be and make things beautiful even within a dark or difficult situation.

I really liked reading your detailed interpretations of the different characters though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mellody said:

The yellow-white Mika also still confuses me. I first thought he was supposed to be a robot, because of the robot-like dance, but yeah, as Anna says, he could also be a "toy boy", a marionette. The yellow looks like it's plastic. Or maybe it's supposed to represent some sort of protection, maybe something like a suit against radioactivity (btw I just looked up the word and apparently the English expression for this is "banana suit" - there we have the sweetie banana reference again, lol!). Anyway, I still assume that the different roles represent different ways of dealing with the (possible) apocalypse, different ways of how people try to become "immortal in the face of the apocalypse".

I actually like this suit (and role) the most. It’s like a paper mache doll that comes to life. To me it means that you can create whatever you like, be whomever you want to be. It starts with an idea and then you get it into motion to become reality. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Oh well that renders everything I just said useless :lmfao:

you do have a point tho with some of the things, like, I assume the word shit got censored for different reasons than the spam bots, but no one has a problem on here with writing merde merde merde as a good luck wish. Might be a topic for the MFC section of the forum, to review some of these. Not everything on this forum makes sense, but also not everything on here is carved in stone. I think Deb knows best why things are the way they are, because she has been a Mod since 2007. Maybe words in different languages aren't that problematic re. spam, as this is an English forum? But I'm not sure about that. All I remember is that in the early days we got a lot of spam on here and the mods constantly had to do to keep up with deleting it.

I've also thought about the "on baise", but as some of the French fans said, apparently the French word doesn't necessarily have a vulgar meaning but *could* possibly also mean kissing. :dunno_grin:

13 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I actually like this suit (and role) the most. It’s like a paper mache doll that comes to life. To me it means that you can create whatever you like, be whomever you want to be. It starts with an idea and then you get it into motion to become reality. 

Interesting interpretation, I would like that. Creativity as a way to become immortal. But then why does that guy paint Mika's face white? That's kind of like hiding more of the alive part of the doll (the top of Mika's head), instead of the doll coming more to life. Maybe it's less about coming alive, but more about art, Mika as a sculpture or a painting?

Whatever this scene means, I just hope Mika's original amazing white flower suit wasn't harmed in the process. :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 5

11 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

Thanks for all that. I can’t believe I am going to have to open accounts in all the social media companies I have avoided just to follow Mika! 

Same for me! I reopened my Twitter account only for him…😀 And sometimes have a look on tiktok, but not really my thing. 💙

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I prefer C'est la vie video and Tomorrow video

Tomorrow it is my favorite too. Every time a video it's stuffed with too many elements, and frames, and unrelated ideas, and dozens of props, it becomes too heavy and complicated. That's the reason why I can not watch Tiny Love video, I don't get the symbolism of all those different elements and scenes, it's too much to digest. 

10 hours ago, silver said:

:yeah:

For me, Feels Like Fire is the sexiest, most romantic, and most intimate song Mika has ever done. Tomorrow is more direct and —-aggressively? Assertively—? —sexual, But not as sultry.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:49 PM, Juless said:

The Music Video for Apocalypse Calypso will release tomorrow at 11am UTC 🔥

https://youtu.be/Rt9hlGBG0uU

maxresdefault(3)2.thumb.jpg.5d09929361ecfb19299880e8fb718e7b.jpg

Did already anyone say anything about this being Mika on a hot rod? (Is that an American term?)

….OMG. I can’t believe it took me 50 years to see the obnoxiousness of that phrase!!!:blink:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Haha 3

I’ve just read @tiibet’s Facebook post and she mentioned that Mika being surrounded by golden things symbolizes materialism to her (if I’m saying this wrong, please correct me, Nina!). Surrounding himself with expensive looking things, enjoying it in a way, but in the end also walking away from it at the end of the video. I actually tend to agree with her. The worth of life is not in materialism, in the end is love - what the song is ultimately about, even though it gets quite physical. 

Which totally reminded me of this song:

(AND I WAS TODAY YEARS OLD TO REALIZE IT IS DEFINITELY NOT ABOUT EXERCISING!!!!!!)

• Haha 4