Music Video for Apocalypse Calypso

Kumazzz

Apocalypse Calypso (Official Music Video)

► Credits

• Director: Chris Turner
  • Executive Producer: Beth Montague
  • Producer: Thalia Murray
  • Commissioner: Ailsa Robertson
  • Director of Photography: Howard Mills
  • Focus Puller: Rob Stanton DIT: Ivo Groenendijk
  • Gaffer: Erik Houtman
  • BTS: Adam Goodall
  • Production Design: Studio Job
  • Wardrobe Anna Cuvailova
  • Make Up Artist: Diane Jaurey
  • Hair Stylist: Geraldine Fougerat

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO JOB SMEETS, SHARKEY AND THE WHOLE TEAM WHO WORK AT STUDIO JOB. YOU ARE ALL BRILLIANT!

• Production Design: Studio Job
  • Communications: Rebecca Sharkey
  • Supervisor: Wesley Didden
  • Welder: Lennart Zuydervelt
  • Paper Mache tech : Bram Peijnenborg

© 2023 MIKA PUNCH, in JV with Island Def Jam, Universal Music France.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Moved Anna's post from the album thread to here and added to it:

2 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I have just found out that the Apocalypse Calypso video clip will be released on YouTube on Friday at noon.

I think Mika will post about it soon.

► Credits Director: Chris Turner Executive Producer: Beth Montague Producer: Thalia Murray Commissioner: Ailsa Robertson Director of Photography: Howard Mills Focus Puller: Rob Stanton DIT: Ivo Groenendijk Gaffer: Erik Houtman BTS: Adam Goodall Production Design: Studio Job Wardrobe Anna Cuvailova Make Up Artist: Diane Jaurey Hair Stylist: Geraldine Fougerat A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO JOB SMEETS, SHARKEY AND THE WHOLE TEAM WHO WORK AT STUDIO JOB. YOU ARE ALL BRILLIANT! Production Design: Studio Job Communications: Rebecca Sharkey Supervisor: Wesley Didden Welder: Lennart Zuydervelt Paper Mache tech : Bram Peijnenborg © 2023 MIKA PUNCH, in JV with Island Def Jam, Universal Music France.

image.thumb.png.0ebffb642adb4737b4d251e9b3d83492.png

And he has posted about it, as you said -- on all social media.

Here's Instagram -

A post shared by MIKA (@mikainstagram)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Excited for this video! Especially seeing as there were already nods to what's going to feature in it with the previously released lyric video, with Studio Job no doubt this is going to be epic! 😁

• Like 6

This has to be MIKA's most beautiful music video ever. It's perfect and so fitting to the song itself as well, I'm in love with it. And Studio Job of course can't do anything wrong, they can always perfectly embody MIKA's creative visions and ideas :mikalove:

Edited by Péhl Tamás
  • Like 8

That's it, the clip is finally out!!!! On the other hand, after watching it I have a remark: the white costume with the flower that someone painted yellow reminds me of... a banana 🧐 is this a reference to sweetie banana???? 

• Haha 5

I am in love with this video, it is glorious! The colours and the sensuality leap from the screen. Perfect for the song. Also loving Mika's dancing, the different styles reflecting the different outfits, confident and exuberant in the mirror suit, restricted and jerky in the sculpture suit, and loose flowing sensuality in the relaxed outfit on the sofa. He looks so beautiful throughout. And the Job props are fabulous. Love the winged piano. :lustslow::wub2::cheer:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

IMG_9188.thumb.jpeg.932b15a6c613f755a9fc8605c516534d.jpeg

I mean. This explains SO MUCH.

I was going to post something similar, you beat me to it! :biggrin2:

Now, how to get a Mika clone of my own... 🤔😂

I love the video so so much! It's stunning and so full of colour, all the different scenes match the theme of the song perfectly. I particularly like the part where he's being painted white over the yellow suit, to me it signifies that Mika is changing and allowing someone else into his life to be with him through it. It's all so wonderful and certainly one of my new favourites.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the music video I was also wondering what he would do when it got to that particular naughty line in the song (with the F*** word), and it certainly comes across quite sexy imo! Best not say what's actually in my mind, I've stayed clear of the NC for a while now! :teehee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

IMG_9188.thumb.jpeg.932b15a6c613f755a9fc8605c516534d.jpeg

I mean. This explains SO MUCH.

That's just what I thought when I saw that scene - well, the first one, where there were only a few "Mikas" and then this. :roftl:

43 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I was expecting something completely different. More romantic.

This video is full of dark signs and symbols about our futur. But actually this is what the song is about, right? :wink2:

Yes, exactly. I was expecting something different, but as I said on Instagram, I should know to expect the unexpected when it comes to Mika! So much symbolism to read into, I think. And I mean, I can't tell you how many times I have felt exactly like the final scene of the video, with the weight of the whole world pressing down on me.

2023-11-03-mika-globe1.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I can't tell you how many times I have felt exactly like the final scene of the video, with the weight of the whole world pressing down on me

I can certainly relate there (especially in recent times). I think Mika has a way of creating something so visually beautiful and appealing that it makes you feel like everything is going to be ok and that we're not alone in this, we're allowed to be happy even in the smallest moments when the rest of the world is in a dark place. 

:group_hug:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

That's just what I thought when I saw that scene - well, the first one, where there were only a few "Mikas" and then this. :roftl:

Yes, exactly. I was expecting something different, but as I said on Instagram, I should know to expect the unexpected when it comes to Mika! So much symbolism to read into, I think. And I mean, I can't tell you how many times I have felt exactly like the final scene of the video, with the weight of the whole world pressing down on me.

2023-11-03-mika-globe1.jpg

So I find 7 characters in the video.

I even edited the whole song cutting out the scenes with each of them.

1 - Angel - the spirit watching the world and dying (?)

2 - Musician - trying to put some colors in our lives

3 - Iron man (or Mirror man) - created by a human but moving like a robot (it reminds me Terminator :wink2: )

4 - Puppet - this guy in yellow paper suit letting himself paint into white, so fragile and easy to destroy

5 - Golden Boy - so lonely with his gold stuck in his golden cage (which he decides to leave at the end)

6 - Clones - a symbol of us trying to create a perfect self - which is impossible

7 - Hell Boy - in his burning car - well here I can give several meanings - our bad side, our part wanting to make something crazy, a Devil in opposite to the Angel?

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I didn't expect that either. The video is very beautiful but more like a shooting video. Obviously it can not tell the story of the song so it has to be "detached' from it. Mika looks like a statue at times and expressionless. My fav parts are when he is with the car 🔥 and the seven Mikas in red :wub2: because there is never enough Mika  :das:  especially in red :fangurl:and it's funny and unexpected. 

I love the globe too. In a way Mika is "blocked" by it, but it can be a metaphore of love making too :blush:  and I love the way the globe shines and glitters when Mika moves it to free himself.

The lyric video felt more Mikaish though  in a way if I may say so.....

I read that Mika did a live while the video was being relleased but I missed it :crybaby: Was a anyone able to save it please? :bow:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

So I find 7 characters in the video.

I even edited the whole song cutting out the scenes with each of them.

1 - Angel - the spirit watching the world and dying (?)

2 - Musician - trying to put some colors in our lives

3 - Iron man (or Mirror man) - created by a human but moving like a robot (it reminds me Terminator :wink2: )

4 - Puppet - this guy in yellow paper suit letting himself paint into white, so fragile and easy to destry

5 - Golden Boy - so lonely with his gold stuck in his golden cage (which he decides to leave at the end)

6 - Clones - a symbol of us trying to create a perfect self - which is impossible

7 - Hell Boy - in his burning car - well here I can give several meanings - our bad side, our part wanting to make something crazy, a Devil in opposite to the Angel?

The hell boy is my fav :wub2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me the video has nothing to do with the lyrics, and that makes me happy :teehee:  

Yet my favorite Mika videos are the ones recorded while performing on stage, so I prefer C'est La Vie to this one :original: 

• Like 2

To me the different characters in the video symbolize different ways of what people define as immortality, what they try to do or be, to become immortal. Rich (the gold), made out of steel (the mirror suit that not even welding can destroy in the video), an angel (if you're good in this life, the Bible promises you a place in Heaven), cloning, a robot - not sure yet about the car and the piano. Fame, maybe. Beauty? Music? Status symbols? I think I'll have to watch a few more times. I didn't particularly like the video when I first watched it, especially because I don't like seeing Mika as an angel. I don't like angels much tbh, and Mika surely isn't one (and I'm glad about that). So this video, same as the album cover, that imply in a way that he is, bother me. Which is ok, art isn't meant to please everyone, but it also is supposed to bother people, to make them think. I love the feeling of falling on a warm soft fluffy cushion when I listen to Mika or look at / listen to his art / music. Even some of his sad songs can make me feel like that, but not this song, not this video, not the album cover. I think I can learn something from it tho, that it can open new perspectives for me. At least I hope so, and that it's more than "the dark fairytales are the best ones" and "I like putting skulls on everything" that he used to do. I'm glad the skulls are gone but I can't say that I like angels much more. :teehee:

Edit: Ah yes, another reason why I don't like the video much (yet) is that I miss the reference to the positive message of the song, that being with the person or the people you love can make you feel like nothing can hurt you. Maybe that's what Jobs and his wife are supposed to symbolize, and maybe Mika would have preferred if Andy had been sitting next to him on the car but Andy didn't want to be in the video? But well, if that short scene of Jobs and his wife is supposed to represent this, it's very easy to miss this meaning. :dunno:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I was expecting something completely different. More romantic.

This video is full of dark signs and symbols about our futur. But actually this is what the song is about, right? :wink2:

But so sparkly and fluffy and gentle and soft and flowing and beautiful. And pretty colors and gorgeous images. Color me confused. I surrender any attempt to make sense of it all. I know this is Mika’s MO, contradictory images and lyrics, but that is not where the contradiction seems to be. It is more thematic. Although he stimulates conversation that way, I cannot see where there is any opening to even address the theme found in the song title/ lyric. Except in that red suit post, which looks very scary/loss of the individual/freedoms to me.

But bless his heart, he looks at peace.

At first I thought the opening image was Mika with the weight of the world on him but when it was so sparkly I ….just…. :giveup:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 4

Here are 7 videos with each character. Maybe it will be easier to see the whole "picture" of each one.

I gave the names but of course you can choose any other ones.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all that. I can’t believe I am going to have to open accounts in all the social media companies I have avoided just to follow Mika! 

But as to helping me understand….it just gives me more that I need to understand!!:lol3:

…was that drone music in the video? I somehow missed it/him/them. Although it is a very timely image politically. When I posted that very unpopular first reaction to this song, and talked about politics, the state of the world, I was really not just referring to recent events, and I certainly wasn’t suggesting that I expected Mika to take sides. I was however expecting a song with that title to somehow reflect the increasingly awful impact that events have had on humanoids, especially queer ones, in the past 6+ years. In this country we are on the precipice, and then there is, you know, so much suffering happening and coming everywhere ….I know he knows. I know he cares. Maybe he just feels as helpless as so many people do:dunno:…so, it’s like, if it’s the end of the world let’s f****! (BTW, why are we all being so careful to spell it in symbols when Mika says it outright??????!

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 2

Although I truly love analyzing Mika’s music and videos, right now I am just enjoying the ride. There have been so many new melodies and new visuals! I feel it’s such a candid and poppy album, it shows a different side of him that is also very much him. It just makes me very curious for the rest of the album and his storytelling. 

I do have to admit that not being able to understand everything right away due to the language barrier is a little hurdle I have to overcome to get a feel for the song. However, thanks to Mika I am embracing the French language more and much faster. It’s already enriching me! 

So when the tour comes I can actually say more than just “bonjour” and “baguette” :wink2:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1