Photobook "Apocalypso Tour" discussions (tour spoilers!)

Hi there, :pinkbow:

The Photobook "Apocalypso Tour" 

https://mika.store/collections/apocalypso-tour/products/photobook-apocalypso-tour

I believe this book will be extremely creative and worthy of discussions.
So I would like to start with the image of the prose he wrote for the book.

I love the concept of the "Apocalypso Tour", and his writing is so insightful, enlightening, and inspiring. 

photobookinterieur.png?v=1709121990

THE APOCALYPSE CALYPSO TOUR IS A JOURNEY THROUGH MY MUSICAL UNIVERSE.

A TITLE THAT IS AS MUCH A PROVOCATION TO MYSELF AS IT IS A CONCEPT.

IN A WORLD WHERE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

BUT ALSO WHERE EVERYTHING IS RESET TO ZERO, LOVE, HATE, JEALOUSY, FEAR, PRIDE, AND DESIRE.

FACED WITH THE SURREAL IDEA OF THE END OF DAYS.

WHAT HAPPENS?

WE ARE SCARED, REGRETFUL, ANGRY, CONFUSED.

ARE WE ALSO HOWEVER FREED FROM THE EVERYDAY.

MORE AUTONOMOUS AND PARADOXICALLY.

MUCH MORE IN COMMUNION WITH THE OTHERS AROUND US?

IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW BUT FRIGHTENING TO ASK.

I AM PORTRAYED AS A FIREBIRD AS IN THE COAL MINES.

PART ANGELA CARTER'S NOVEL "NIGHTS AT THE CIRCUS" AND IN A KAFKAESQUE AND ORWELLIAN WORLD.

THE SURVEILLANCE EYE IS PRESENT.

BUT THERE IS ALSO COLOR, IRREVERENCE, AND EXUBERANT JOY.

ALWAYS A FINE LINE BETWEEN WHAT IS NAÏF AND JOYFUL AND WHAT IS DARKER AND MORE UNSETTLING WHAT WE ARE EXPRESSING IS A POETIC RESISTANCE.

A COMMITMENT TO DEFEND THE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION OF EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US.

THE EYE TURNS INTO A CLOUD AND THEN BECOMES A FLOWER.

THIS IDEA OF POETIC BALANCE AND RESISTANCE IS IMPORTANT.

OFTEN IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT THE DESTINATION.

WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND WHERE WE’RE COMING FROM.

AND MOST OF ALL WITH WHO WE ARE GOING ON OUR JOURNEY.

BON VOYAGE,

MIKA

I find it particularly interesting that he mentioned "Nights at the Circus" by Angela Carter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nights_at_the_Circus

I will try to get a copy and read it this weekend.

Have anyone read this novel before?

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I too think the photobook it’s going to be fantastic and a great insight to Mika’s process. I can’t wait to see it.

@NaoMika you should totally read Nights at the 🎪! It’s a masterpiece. It’s a bit extreme and trippy but it’s wonderful, really. 

I first read it like 15 years ago because Mika mentioned Carter’s 📚 a lot in quite a few interviews early in his career (but I can’t remember where or when.. maybe someone knows here) and I got that and “the magic toyshop” plus a collection of re worked fairy tales and loved them all.

But later during the pandemic I reread Nights at the Circus as part of a course in feminism literature and got to enjoy it even more. Please, get it. I’m sure you’re going to love it (feel free to DM if you want to discuss it afterwards). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In October 2007

TV hits magazine ( unfortunately, we don't have PDF file / scans ):huh:

• TV Hits magazine - November 2007 - McFly cover

148x201.jpg.882f160278efed3a2b4bb7b997299046.jpg

https://www.crazyaboutmagazines.com/ourshop/prod_165178-TV-Hits-magazine-November-2007-McFly-cover.html

MIKA - Fills us in on what makes him smile
½ page feature with nice small colour photo

fave book : nights at the circus - Angela carter

On 10/20/2007 at 3:42 AM, I've been 'Mikafied'! said:

look what i found in TVhits mag a few days ago!!!!!!! :

fave book: nights at the circus - Angela carter

fave song: i honestly dont have one

fave food: pasta

fave soap: im a total hollyoaks junkie

fave school subject: wellies!

fave weather: cold but sunny

fave choc bar: galaxy caramel

fave preserve: ploghmans pickle

fave possesion: my wellies

fave south american country: i havent been to any yet so i dont know

fave art supply:freash bristol board paper

fave thing to do on a rainy day: wear my wellies

fave brand of warter: evian

fave shape of a cloud: ones that look like boobs

fave bored game: i love cluedo but im too thick to acctually play it so i always end up playing monopoly

fave tv dog: jonothan ross

fave service station: i like the one off the J240 in between the isle of skye and the isle of whright! its really nice there and everyone wears braces and wellies and nothing else.

fave little britain character: i like the bald fat guy (?!)

fave item of clothing: my wellies

fave crisp flavour: ready salted with a dash of nutella on. the energy in the crisps combined with the yummy nutty flaour of nutella will make your tong quiver and go baskerk!

all of thew above is mikas

im sorry if this has already been discovered, but i couldnt find anything realated to it! plus, i feel like making a new thread:biggrin2: :wink2:

Searching "Angela Carter" in our FORUM.

A lot of results !

https://www.mikafanclub.com/search/?&q="ANGELA CARTER"&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=13&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• mellody changed the title to Photobook "Apocalypso Tour" discussions (tour spoilers!)
48 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Do you think that the photobook is a sort of an album/book with photos already printed?

Or it might be a sort of a notebook in which you can add your own photos and text?

I think it's something like the 2010 Imaginarium Tour Program. For 40€ I expect it to be more than a notebook with blank pages. 😅🙈 But good point... I'll have a look inside before I buy it at the gig!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I think it's something like the 2010 Imaginarium Tour Program. For 40€ I expect it to be more than a notebook with blank pages. 😅🙈 But good point... I'll have a look inside before I buy it at the gig!

Exactly. If it's a blank notebook I will not spend 40 EUR....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I think if it was an empty notebook they would have called it a notebook, like the blue notebook they released a few months ago. They call this one a "photo book", so I expect it to have photos, like the Imaginarium tour program, as Karin said. I'll see if I can find out for sure, or maybe someone will be able to check it out tomorrow in Bordeaux.

16 hours ago, NaoMika said:

I find it particularly interesting that he mentioned "Nights at the Circus" by Angela Carter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nights_at_the_Circus

I will try to get a copy and read it this weekend.

Have anyone read this novel before?

spacer.png

I recall Mika mentioned this book and others by Angela Carter before, and I always meant to read it, but never got around to it. I guess I'll make the effort now!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I am pretty sure it is not a blank notebook :wub2: but a treasure I can feel it :wub2: I love the imaginarium tour book to bits (it was my first merch at my first gig)  but this one related to Apocalypse Calypso tour must be even more rich in photos and an incredible insignt into Mika's world :wub2:  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I think if it was an empty notebook they would have called it a notebook, like the blue notebook they released a few months ago. They call this one a "photo book", so I expect it to have photos, like the Imaginarium tour program, as Karin said. I'll see if I can find out for sure, or maybe someone will be able to check it out tomorrow in Bordeaux.

I recall Mika mentioned this book and others by Angela Carter before, and I always meant to read it, but never got around to it. I guess I'll make the effort now!

Hopefully it is available as a kindle :pray:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Thank you for the information. I did not know that. I've been a fan of MIKA since 2015, so I have a lot of unread interviews.

I started searching about Angela Carter and found out that she lived in Japan in 70's. Interesting.

MIKA is always my good reading guide. :yes:

I have a taste for fantasy novels, this book sounds like my favourite. 

16 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

In October 2007

TV hits magazine ( unfortunately, we don't have PDF file / scans ):huh:

Thanks a lot for searching for this.:clap:

I feel so lucky to be able to read such old article in the TV magazine.

Great archiving job, MFC :winner_third_h4h:

• Like 6

23 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Quoting myself here...

So I have checked and this is indeed a PHOTO BOOK, basically a behind-the-scenes look at putting the tour together. So it definitely sounds like something special.

I know it's showing as sold-out already online, but I've asked about that... so don't despair if you missed out (like I did!), there may be hope yet!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Quoting myself here...

So I have checked and this is indeed a PHOTO BOOK, basically a behind-the-scenes look at putting the tour together. So it definitely sounds like something special.

I know it's showing as sold-out already online, but I've asked about that... so don't despair if you missed out (like I did!), there may be hope yet!

Sold out already?  Almost all concerts dates too...Mika is in full bloom :wub2:

I had  secured my photobook but I'm glad more will be available :thumb_yello:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Quoting myself here...

Did they say if it’s only going to be available online, or also at the merch stands at the gigs?

And if so; only the French gigs, or all gigs? 

Many questions! :biggrin2::pbjt:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Did they say if it’s only going to be available online, or also at the merch stands at the gigs?

And if so; only the French gigs, or all gigs? 

Many questions! :biggrin2::pbjt:

They did not specify whether it was online only, but I got the impression it would be available at the merch stands.

And I've asked about whether it would be at ALL gigs, not just the French ones, and all the merch OUGHT to be at ALL the gigs. So we live in hope! :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Do you think that there would be some copies left for Berlin as well? I only have tickets to Berlin and I really want to own a copy of this photobook, but I'm not sure if I can, when there's only a 1000 copies alltogether. Neither can I buy them online, because it's sold out in the webshop.  

45 minutes ago, Péhl Tamás said:

when there's only a 1000 copies alltogether.

He say those 1000 items are only the first edition for now, so I guess there will be more to be released soon.

Edited by krysady
  • Like 3