Mikasounds and Twitter Update Thread (Part 10)

Fmbm

And I also think his sweat doesn´t smell like parfum :mf_rosetinted:

And I thank God he doesn´t pee the crowd as Marilyn Manson does :mf_rosetinted:

Yeah, I´m that weird :mf_rosetinted:

Pee the crowd????

PEE THE CROWD???

That's something he'd never be interested in as he'd have to show up his tool, and that's something he's not....eerrrmmm....into...:mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think many fans see it that to attract a really large audience he should make more mainstream/less "weird" music, meaning maybe less falsetto, maybe less weird lyrics/stories etc and those are the elements many fans specially love in his music.

Maybe they think so but I have just mentioned the example of Adele showing that it is not necessarily the case. Mika's music may be versatile but not 'weird' at all. His first two albums were classic pop (or chamber pop) produced by one of the most well-known mainstream pop producers of today. His first album was one of the best selling albums of 2007 but the second album (basically using a similar formula as the first but with even more radiofriendly mixes on the singles) failed to repeat its success for some reason. So what is this fear for him 'selling out' when trying to be a bit more innovative in sound? :dunno:

I personally think he was not brave and adventorous enough with the second album and his 'quirkiness' was partly lost in the production. A new direction should do him good.:teehee:

Maybe they think so but I have just mentioned the example of Adele showing that it is not necessarily the case. Mika's music may be versatile but not 'weird' at all. His first two albums were classic pop (or chamber pop) produced by one of the most well-known mainstream pop producers of today. His first album was one of the best selling albums of 2007 but the second album (basically using a similar formula as the first but with even more radiofriendly mixes on the singles) failed to repeat its success for some reason. So what is this fear for him 'selling out' when trying to be a bit more innovative in sound? :dunno:

I personally think he was not brave and adventorous enough with the second album and his 'quirkiness' was partly lost in the production. A new direction should do him good.:teehee:

I think a new direction will do him good, too! Somehow I totally trust that the new album will sound new and different but also "Mika" and I can't wait to hear it. I agree he wasn't maybe brave enough last time and for me it also looked he wasn't honest or open enough and according to his own words (in his columns or those few interviews we have seen) that will be different this time.

I saw the Adele discussion. For me it's difficult to compare these two artists because I see their style/focus/careers very different. I agree that people's fears (about future and success) are mostly irrational but I can understand them. Mika's music might be classic pop but the elements some people love so much are also elements some people see weird (at least in my country).

Maybe they think so but I have just mentioned the example of Adele showing that it is not necessarily the case. Mika's music may be versatile but not 'weird' at all. His first two albums were classic pop (or chamber pop) produced by one of the most well-known mainstream pop producers of today.

I saw a group of musicians perform the Sgt. Pepper's album on the weekend and nothing Mika has done is any stranger than the Beatles. Much of it is actually quite similar. You can argue that that was 45 years ago but I think the Beatles are still very much relevant and much loved today.

Mika's music might be classic pop but the elements some people love so much are also elements some people see weird (at least in my country).

Someone somewhere is going to think anything is weird. It's all a matter of taste and people have different tastes. I mean is anyone weirder than Gaga these days? But she's been a massive success. Mika used to point to American closed-mindedness as the reason for his limited success in the US but now Adam Lambert is #1 on the Billboard charts. He can outcamp Mika any day of the week and doesn't hide behind "I can't be labelled" ambiguity.

People blame mp3s for the fall of the record industry but Adele has broken records selling albums this past year.

I'm not buying these excuses anymore. There are 7 billion people in the world and no matter how many haters or people with bad taste are out there you cannot argue that effective promotion, hard work and good music will appeal to millions upon millions of people.

Someone somewhere is going to think anything is weird. It's all a matter of taste and people have different tastes. I mean is anyone weirder than Gaga these days? But she's been a massive success. Mika used to point to American closed-mindedness as the reason for his limited success in the US but now Adam Lambert is #1 on the Billboard charts. He can outcamp Mika any day of the week and doesn't hide behind "I can't be labelled" ambiguity.

People blame mp3s for the fall of the record industry but Adele has broken records selling albums this past year.

I'm not buying these excuses anymore. There are 7 billion people in the world and no matter how many haters or people with bad taste are out there you cannot argue that effective promotion, hard work and good music will appeal to millions upon millions of people.

The way I see Mika "weird" is totally and purely positive. For me he is something I wanted to find/discover for years and I finally did. I see him as a talented artist who does a wonderful, brilliant pop music but who is also somehow unique and also different than anyone else on the field. No one is like him. I know Lady Gaga has a great voice somewhere behind her music but she has made herself as a product (and that product can be weird but for me she is not unique in any way).

The thing is that I love Mika as he is. I think many fans think the same and their fear of change/what they are worried is something irrational but something I can totally understand. I'm still not worried. He says the album looks "him" and that he has been able to do everything as he likes. He has been concentrating on this album for a long time and worked with many good people, so I trust it can be a success and I believe I will love it more than LICM. I still think (and hope) he will divide opinions as usual :teehee:

I agree that people's fears (about future and success) are mostly irrational but I can understand them.

Yes, I actually understand it in theory, too. In fact, I feared the same when I first heard WAG :teehee:. However, so far there have been no clues about the sound of the new album so I don’t worry about it as most of the people he has been working with have a good track record with other artists. What I really wanted to emphasize is that wanting him to change does not mean me wanting him to ‘sell out’. I am pretty certain he never will.

Mika's music might be classic pop but the elements some people love so much are also elements some people see weird (at least in my country).
Oh here, too. I think the most confusing thing about him for others is that they can’t put him into boxes like ‘pop’, ‘indie’, ‘classical’ like they do with other artists. Also, his image is often at odds with what he is all about and it may look totally superficial.

I saw a group of musicians perform the Sgt. Pepper's album on the weekend and nothing Mika has done is any stranger than the Beatles. Much of it is actually quite similar. You can argue that that was 45 years ago but I think the Beatles are still very much relevant and much loved today.
It is partly the songs but also the instrumentation: similar to classical / chamber music. That’s also what made LICM special to me.

I actually think that Mika tried to apply shock tactics in the video WAG (that was right after Lady Gaga’s arrival in the pop scene, after the Paparazzi video) but it did not work and it was because in my opinion, the way Mika sometimes presents himself is not in line with either his music or his personality. Once he finds himself he will no longer hide behind costumes and spend more time arranging the music rather than painting the set. (sorry, set painters :naughty:)

well, it's hard to decide for people on the forum what is important and what isn't... in germany, glee isn't important. i've seen it in the tv programme on one of those second-class-channels that broadcast children's series all day, but never watched it and never read any media articles about it. so when i read on mfc or twitter about getting mika on glee, i thought, why invest time to get him on a program that no one watches? i had no idea that it's such a big thing in other countries. and then you have those votings for twitter, which definitely aren't very important anywhere in the world... it's fantastic that you have the time and energy to find all those voting sites and keep voting regularly, and there was a time (when the last album was out) when i did the same. but most people have so much to do that this voting stuff usually isn't on their minds every day.

so maybe if something is really very important like you said it's the case with glee, you should talk to the mfc mods that they open a top news thread about it? this shouldn't happen more than 1-2 times a year, otherwise it gets too much for most people, like on the voting thread. of course you're right, if everyone on mfc voted for a certain thing, we could achieve something. but you can't expect everyone to vote all the time on websites that get only visited by hardcore fans of the artists that are featured there. if something is really relevant, people have to be made aware of the fact that it's not just another one of those "usual" votings. :wink2:

I see your point. I know I started a thread about it on the Chat About Mika Forum and mentioned at the start, how popular the show is and how it would benefit Mika to get his songs on there. Plus, the songs they featured were pop songs, like Mika is famous for (only his are better)

I realize a lot of the fans didn't like Glee, or the idea of someone else singing Mika's songs, but if someone is successful as a songwriter, someone else is also going to try and sing their songs anyway! Even on things like X Factor. But whether the version is up-to-scratch or not, once people have heard the song they can seek out the artist himself. This was behind my Glee idea. That happened with The Journey (the group who sang DSB) their much better version got a new lease of life. So the idea was really aimed at raising awareness of his music.

On MFC, we can't understand there are ppl who don't know about Mika, but there are. In the USA, where Glee originated and was really popular, Mika is seldom played on the radio. He has American fans because they've come accross him some other way, but he'd have a lot more if his songs were played. He needs chart success there, and again in the UK.

About the idea of having a more prominant thread for things like this. It's up to the mods. We already have the voting thread. I agree that some contests seem pointless and that many ppl don't have time to vote. But if it's something that could really do him some good and there was a concerted effort, I'm all for it.

Congrats to all who got the Mika at the Olympics thing trending worldwide.

Yes I get that. I just have no interest in the circus or high fashion and my interest in illustration and costumes is relatively limited, etc. I'm not saying Mika should not be interested in these things or that other fans should not be as well. I'm sure many people who are closer to his age, more artistic, etc. relate to Mika's interests more than I do, and good for them! But my commonality with Mika is good pop and dance music and I am not going to maintain an interest in all these other things just because Mika likes them and I like him. I am curious enough to check things out and was especially so in the early days, but I just want some more music at this point and don't care about his extra curricular activities unless it's something I find inherently interesting.

Yes please! :thumb_yello: This feels like a long wait!:blink:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this recently.

Most people know LICM. Most people don't know TBWKTM.

Which way is TOOL going to go?

Up of course :lmfao:

:lmfao: :lmfao:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this recently.

Most people know LICM. Most people don't know TBWKTM.

Which way is TOOL going to go?

Up of course :lmfao:

or maybe downsouth? lmo

Tool is a lot more ambiguous as LICM, isnot it?

That's something he'd never be interested in as he'd have to show up his tool, and that's something he's not....eerrrmmm....into...:mf_rosetinted:

Oh, poor boy... He must have seen this coming??? He simply can't call his album TOOL and not to expect this?? :roftl:

like i said: we'll get to know a new part of his personality with the new album. :lmfao::mf_rosetinted:

Oh, poor boy... He must have seen this coming??? He simply can't call his album TOOL and not to expect this?? :roftl:

I asked him several times on twitter if it was going to be for real the name of the album. And loads of people already ask him about "TOOL"... if he keeps the name (and I think so, since many media already talk about The Origin Of Love) I hope somebody asks him about it. He once said he found funny how his fans called "WAG" to We Are Golden, so...

MIKA, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? :mf_rosetinted:

I asked him several times on twitter if it was going to be for real the name of the album. And loads of people already ask him about "TOOL"... if he keeps the name (and I think so, since many media already talk about The Origin Of Love) I hope somebody asks him about it. He once said he found funny how his fans called "WAG" to We Are Golden, so...

MIKA, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? :mf_rosetinted:

Maybe that's exactly what he expected :naughty: You know, he just wanted to be sure that fans are entertained while he's gone. Why do you think he announced the name of the album a year ago? :mf_rosetinted: