2012 - Webster Hall, New York USA, October 15 - REPORTS / PICTURES / VIDEOS

guylainem123

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mfc! On my phone so this report will be brief! Operation Mika at Webster hall was a great success! Queue was uneventful, they moved everyone inside about half an hour before doors because it was raining. Thanks to deb's magical powers the non existent presale tickets weren't an issue. MFC front row, venue was cozy! Three feet between us and the stage-awesome! Opening act was cute and fun, two girls, 1 dje while the other rocked out on violin. Mika came on about ten minutes early (miracles do happen!) And played a great mix of old and new. Great crowd energy. Underwater was phenom even though he flubbed the lyrics, i LOVED celebrate even though it's one of my least favorites from the album. The crowd energy was great even though many people didn't know the new stuff. oops i wrote even though so many times.....excuse me! polka dot fan choir was also really fun and clearly having a great time. Someone already posted the pic of Mikas on stage pilates...whew!!

Forgot to take a merch stand pic but 3 cute shirts, hoodie, poster, tote, CD etc. we waited out in the rain and Mika signed for a bit but had to rush off "for cnn." Riiiight. He was clearly happy and the show was beautiful. I will write a proper report when all this is over. Can't wait to do it all again tomorrow night!

Ps, great to meet all the new + old mfcers.

Goodnight !

I only had 3 1/2 hrs sleep but I'm up! And the 3 others MFCers I'm staying with are ip too.. We will have an interesting rest o day

But yes last night was amazing!! Typing on a phone is difficult so just a few points

He didn't do heroes or overrated tho they were on the set list.. I wish he would ditch BB by now

The 'polka dot choir' was really good.. I'm glad they tried this experiment

He left off the hat for a few songs and then someone threw a very nice sequined, glittery hat onto stage and he loved it and wore it for the rest of the song...

Being front row so close was AMAZING :excite: my iPhone actually took pics this time, tho I didn't take many.

My only disappointment was that stardust was acoustic :( it sounded great but would've sounded even better as studio version :shun: I wasn't the only person who thought that cos I saw ppl attempt to head bang to the chorus

The little signing afterwards was sweet, short and small.. So nice! Afterwards a group of us went to eat which was another awesome experience!! Oh we also saw the band crossing the street and got to tell them how awesome they were!

When he said he was going to be on CNN we were all like :blink: but apparently he's on starting point within the next hr so we're watching on TV now :excite:

We were stressed about not having physical tickets, but we got that sorted. It was also fantastic that we didn't need to queue at stupid o'clock. We ate breakfast close to the venue and got there after. The weather was wet so they took us in early. It was a little chaotic but the security woman helped make sure that we got in a fair and orderly fashion (as much as she could).

Shortcut - Mika was in top form, having fun, confident.

Eye contact and an arms length away.

I am back on my Mika high from 5 years ago, but just a little more mature.

And he needs to perform Overrated tonight.

MIKA couldn't have asked for a better welcome to NYC for his first USA show, this tour.

The audience was pumped to the max throughout!

It was like a reciprocal LOVE FEST.

MIKA made a real effort to give attention to everyone lucky enough to be there.

At one point saying:

'I see every one of you'

looking out over the sold-out audience.

Magical Moment I'll not soon forget:

Thunderous, ear-ringing applause at conclusion,

house lights pan up to VIP section and

Mrs. Penniman high fives person next to her !

Of course, encores followed.

^^ yes, what they said, esp the bolded parts!

...what more can i add? my sister was up in the balcony and said the venue was really full :clap:

it was great to meet you all :D!

the only pics i took this night were of Mika post gig before he signed my poster and most were obsured by red umbrella, here are the least-worst three...

100_3699_zps6e39108f.jpg

100_3702.jpg

100_3701_zps487bcd02.jpg

awesome pic-taking skills, right? :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by kreacher

HERE'S MY SUMMARY for OCT. 15, 2012

Departed DC via Union Station train a bit before noon:

Arrived at Penn. Station around three-ish in the afternoon.

Caught a Taxi to our Home away from home in NYC:

W Union Square Hotel:

2631759-W-New-York-Union-Square-Hotel-Exterior-1.jpg

Stairway from lobby to 2nd floor:

w_new_york_union_square_staircase.jpg

2nd floor hallway:

wunionsqhighlight.png

My room there:

w_union_square_mirror_front.jpg

Light Lunch at the Hotel restaurant:

Traveling with my son-in-law,

we each had half portion of 'Tortelli Of Butternut Squash brown butter, sage'

& shared a warm brocholli salad washing it down with with Iced Tea.

While waiting for our rooms to be ready,

investigated the immediate neighborhood

including Union Square Park:

2466587678_5ecf099b86.jpg

Son-in-law's brother, Edgar who lives in the city, cycled to our hotel in the rain

& we set off the have a drink + dinner nearby with his wife who met up with us at . . .

f206f2b5812042bd49c6584fb31c3b03a9eff161_l.jpg

. . . where we found a cozy corner table inside to visit & dine.

After dinner Edgar & his wife went their own way.

We took a cab to Webster Hall to meet up with a family friend,

Joe--who also lives in the city--and was joining us for the MIKA Show.

A short wait in the line out side, then the doors opened &, after passing the check list,

we made our way up to the balcony just in time to stake out a prime spot

on the railing at the performance end with a swell view of the stage, as well as the audience below

+ the VIP section just across from us.

Steps away from the Band's dressing room, I had the opportunity to meet Joy & the band members

& pass a gift for MIKA to his Manager to get to him. Before the show started there were lots of

coming & goings from that near-by dressing room which proved interesting.

The crowd was so pumped that anytime anyone came on the stage, they would excitedly scream.

The guys with me really liked the warm up act, but I was there to see 'the boss'

so I was glad when it was his turn.

MIKA couldn't have asked for a better welcome to NYC for his first USA show, this tour.

The audience was pumped to the max throughout! *

It was like a reciprocal LOVE FEST.

MIKA made a real effort to give attention to everyone lucky enough to be there.

At one point saying:

'I see every one of you' looking out over the sold-out audience.

The songs he performed were pretty much the best of the former hits alternating with

the best of the new hits. FAB SHOW.

The 'Polka Dot Choir' was a real success & they sang many more than two songs.

Magical Moment I'll not soon forget:

Thunderous, ear-ringing applause at conclusion, house lights pan up to VIP section &

Mrs. Penniman high fives the person next to her!

Of course, encores followed & the choir joined in for the final curtain call.

3187_10151124039348040_1416845924_n.jpg

Out side waiting for 'the artist' met up with Deb & enjoyed a sweet re-union

with those girls from Texas--Superstar & her sister.

Glimpsed Mama P when she emerged from the theater to leave. She looked absolutely radiant.

Security was not super helpful about the best place to wait, but they didn't make us leave.

MIKA did eventually emerge & even though pressed for time--and repeatedly apologizing for it--

stayed a while & signed album CDs fans had brought with them including mine.

Kissed the sidewalk before I left, but my keepers scooped me up!

Joe drove us back to our hotel & after a

little re-group we headed to nearby 'Lillies'

Lillies%2527s1.jpg

for a night cap & (another) bite to eat

-- sitting in the back in that red velvet couch in the corner.

Walked back to hotel. Goodnights/goodbyes & to bed, sort of.

Couldn't knock off to sleep 'till after 3 AM at least.

Up & ready to leave around 9:00 am guzzling hotel lobby JC_coffee2.gif & grabbing some banana bread

somewhere (?) before taking cab back to Penn Station for travel home.

Arrived back in DC 'bout 4 PM. FINI.

*NO FOOLIN -- NEVER UNDERESTIMATE MIKA FANS

'On Tuesday, the first night of the annual CMJ Music Marathon, Dent May, Heavenly Beat, Mac DeMarco, and Teen Daze played in Webster Hall's oddly-named Marlin Room. The evening's performances were overshadowed by the evidently very well-attended Mika show upstairs, which caused the ceiling of the Marlin Room to bounce and bow alarmingly.'

webster+hall+002.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

*NO FOOLIN -- NEVER UNDERESTIMATE MIKA FANS

'On Tuesday, the first night of the annual CMJ Music Marathon, Dent May, Heavenly Beat, Mac DeMarco, and Teen Daze played in Webster Hall's oddly-named Marlin Room. The evening's performances were overshadowed by the evidently very well-attended Mika show upstairs, which caused the ceiling of the Marlin Room to bounce and bow alarmingly.'

nice review Alice! Sorry I missed seeing you but I heard after you were there

:floor:

no joke the first time I felt the floor shake beneath me I told my friend "we're all gonna die! This floor is goin to cave in!":shocked:

yup it shook that much...:teehee:

HERE'S MY SUMMARY for OCT. 15, 2012

Great report, as usual, Alice! :thumb_yello:

Sorry I didn't get to say good-bye -- I only heard that you fell the next morning. :(

Wish you could have stayed for Tuesday, too -- it was, if you can imagine,

even BETTER than Monday.

nice review Alice! Sorry I missed seeing you but I heard after you were there

:floor:

no joke the first time I felt the floor shake beneath me I told my friend "we're all gonna die! This floor is goin to cave in!":shocked:

yup it shook that much...:teehee:

I know -- and Tuesday it was worse! I felt like I was on a trampoline! :naughty:

Great report, as usual, Alice! :thumb_yello:

Sorry I didn't get to say good-bye -- I only heard that you fell the next morning. :(

Wish you could have stayed for Tuesday, too -- it was, if you can imagine,

even BETTER than Monday.

I know -- and Tuesday it was worse! I felt like I was on a trampoline! :naughty:

JOY TWEETED THAT WEBSTER HALL HAS A "SPRUNG" DANCE FLOOR,

WHATEVER THAT MEANS--

Joy Leah Joseph ‏@JoyLibrary

What a show, love the fact #Websterhall has a "sprung" dance floor!

It was insane watching the crowd jumping....F**k!!

Thanks crowd!!

REF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprung_floor

Edited by A. Clay

It started raining in the evening (we wrote a song :naughty:) and around 6 they moved everyone into the bar area of Webster Hall to get us out of the rain.

I just wanted to record our song here for posterity... maybe MFCers at future rainy gigs will want to use it or adapt it to their situation :fisch:

Sung to the tune of Stardust...

We have been standing

In this bloody queue

It's only because

We're addicted to you

You are the thunder

We're in the rain

Will it be worth it

To see you again

We really love you

When we're nice and dry

But everything changes

In the blink of an eye

It's been a while now

And we're pretty cold

Waiting in line

Is getting so old

Getting so old

Getting so old

We want you to know

What we really mean

We wouldn't do this

For Gaga or Biebs

We don't really need the stardust in our eyes

What we need is sunshine in our lives

Or maybe a rain poncho or two

Or even a big umbrella will do

When will we be dry again

When will we be dry again...

And that's as far as we got before we got sidetracked with other

things... :teehee:

I just wanted to record our song here for posterity... maybe MFCers at future rainy gigs will want to use it or adapt it to their situation :fisch:

We have been standing

In this bloody queue

It's only because

We're addicted to you

You are the thunder

We're in the rain

Will it be worth it

To see you again

We really love you

When we're nice and dry

But everything changes

In the blink of an eye

It's been a while now

And we're pretty cold

Waiting in line

Is getting so old

Getting so old

Getting so old

We want you to know

What we really mean

We wouldn't do this

For Gaga or Biebs

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

We have been standing

In this bloody queue

It's only because

We're addicted to you

You are the thunder

We're in the rain

Will it be worth it

To see you again

We really love you

When we're nice and dry

But everything changes

In the blink of an eye

It's been a while now

And we're pretty cold

Waiting in line

Is getting so old

Getting so old

Getting so old

We want you to know

What we really mean

We wouldn't do this

For Gaga or Biebs

hahahahah :roll1:

This should be da 1st single :teehee:

'. . . yes Katy Perry was there cause the guy in the choir saw her backstage.

She stayed for some songs then went . . .'

'. . . Someone texted me before we went in that there was

a good chance Katy was there but I didn't see her.

i saw Perez immediately and he waved when he saw us looking.'

PEREZ in the Balcony at WEBSTER HALL :

Edited by A. Clay

We have been standing

In this bloody queue

It's only because

We're addicted to you

You are the thunder

We're in the rain

Will it be worth it

To see you again

We really love you

When we're nice and dry

But everything changes

In the blink of an eye

It's been a while now

And we're pretty cold

Waiting in line

Is getting so old

Getting so old

Getting so old

We want you to know

What we really mean

We wouldn't do this

For Gaga or Biebs

oh Gosh...LOL! :naughty:

maybe i missed it - but whatever happened to the gig report that was supposed to be done as part of the fb competition??:teehee::teehee:

think I saw it on FB last week:mf_rosetinted: would not bet my life on it though:teehee:

maybe i missed it - but whatever happened to the gig report that was supposed to be done as part of the fb competition??:teehee::teehee:

I was thinking about that last night. I saw the girl at the gig so she was there. :dunno:

I was thinking about that last night. I saw the girl at the gig so she was there. :dunno:

It was definitely on the Facebook page. Ann Marie told me she had to have it

in by 11 a.m. the next morning, in fact! She had an incredible Mika week -- the next day she won the new CD from VH1. :thumb_yello:

Here's her write-up for those of you who missed it:

MIKA @ Webster Hall – by Ann Marie Gayz

"I feel that as American fans, we’ve been waiting for this night to happen for over 3 years. Tonight, we were privileged to not just being the first show of the mini American tour, but the first show to kick off the entire “The Origin of Love” tour. Mika expressed multiple times throughout the night how he was happy and pleased to be back to NYC. We showed him in return how glad we were to have him back in the Big Apple by being a loud and energetic crowd, never hesitant to sing, scream, dance, throw up our hands and live in the moment. Webster Hall was a standing room only venue, which was no problem at all because I do not think we would have been able to sit down if we tried.

The show opened with “Relax, Take It Easy” and included his signature high jumps. With songs like “Blame It On the Girls” and many others during the night, Mika danced the night away, taking full range of the stage, even getting up on the piano. There was rarely a moment when he was not moving in some way or another which was great to see. I always love when you can tell that an artist is enjoying themselves. He told us that since it was the first night, we’ll see him at his most nervous and at his most, let’s just say imperfect. He let us know he was ready to just let loose and let his hair down for the evening by reminding us it was the first night of the tour with a smile, as if he was telling us “Get ready for what you’re about to see.” I have only been to a few opening tour nights of other artists and I love them the most because they aren’t quite polished, but that is what makes them great. The artist can take more risks and be more of themselves, their real selves, since no one has seen or heard what they have done with the tour before. Mika did that and it really turned out great.

Performing “Rain” was probably the most ironic song choice of the night. Before the show as the fans waited outside in line, it began to rain. We stood with umbrellas and hoodies, patiently waiting to get inside. “I hate days like this when it rain, rain, rains” was in my head for quite a while. We definitely connected to that song and shared a good laugh at the irony of it all. We were treated to a pleasant surprise. Even though it was assumed that he would perform the new English version “Emily”, he had us all singing along to the original French “Elle Me Dit”, which I loved because it’s the version that myself, and probably most everyone is used to hearing. He told us how he never thought during writing this song that he would be performing it in America.

To add an appropriate balance to the high levels of energy the whole night had, Mika pulled up a stool to the mic and performed “Stardust” and “Underwater”. These performances were toned down and heartfelt. It was so nice to be able to take a break from the party and just stop to listen to the beautiful stories that these songs tell. The performance of “Love Today” was quite a highlight. Towards the end of the song, Max, Mika’s guitarist, continued singing “La-da-di-da-di” over and over again, stealing Mika’s attention. Mika decided to fix the problem by unplugging his mic. Max managed to grab another mic and continued to sing that line. Mika loaded up his “gun” and “shot” his whole band, which fell over on stage, all the while Max was still singing. Mika then “shot” himself and fell over on stage as well. He told us “I present to you Max’s voice, forever.” To save ourselves from the spell that Max had on everyone, which went on for quite some time, at the count of 3 we were supposed to jump as high as we could. The chemistry between Mika and his band members was apparent.

The entire top balcony was filled was cheering fans and Mika made sure he got them involved to sing a bit of “Celebrate”, which was his first US released single from the new album. He then had the choir come out and a dance party began. For me, that was the song of the night, theme wise. We all had something to celebrate, we were all able to come together and just “have fun”. Leave worries behind and get lost in the music for about a good hour and a half. Trust me that time really flew by.He made one fan in particular extremely happy by taking the black hat he had, which was exactly like Mika’s signature black hat, only this one was bejeweled and wearing it for half of the night. He really liked the hat, saying “This is nice.” One the aspects of the show that really stood out to be were how Mika was really focused on the fans, turning his microphone towards us every chance he had, encouraging us to join in to sing, dance and live the stories. He really wanted us to enjoy the night with him and fed off of our energy to make the show even better. One of the most entertaining ways to get the fans involved was the Polka Dot choir. Eight lucky fans won the opportunity to join in and sing with Mika on stage, dressed in green polka dot gowns. They did a great job and added great harmonies to the songs. It looked like it was a blast, dancing along with the smiles on their faces.

He performed his standard hits which were well received by the whole crowd, whose energy levels rose when the moments to belt out the familiar words that we know and love. Some of these songs were Blame It On the Girls, Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), Love Today, Happy Ending, Grace Kelly, and We Are Golden. When he performed a number of songs from the new album Origin of Love throughout the night, like Lola, Popular, Love You When I’m Drunk, Celebrate, The Origin of Love, etc. it seemed like the fans were able to sing right along with them as well. The album has its official US release on Oct 16th, so I found it interesting that probably a lot of the fans must have already purchased the album. The show was a perfect mix of old and new hits, which blended well together.

After ending with “Grace Kelly”, Mika bowed out and left the stage. No sooner than when he left the stage did the encore chanting “Mika! Mika!” begin. Mika returned to the roaring crowd to perform again. He added a quicker and more bouncy beat to “Lollipop”, which was a nice change to the original version we hear.

It was great to meet and talk to the other fans as well. We all had our own stories. Some of us were young and some were older. Some of us were finally seeing Mika live for the first time, while others we around since the beginning and have seen multiple shows. I was able to talk to two fans for most of the night, mainly because they were standing right next to me. They were also first timers and throughout the show it was sheer excitement and awe the entire time. Since you were willing to share your thoughts on the show, I thought I would give an acknowledgement. Tom explained the show as being beyond his expectations and that it was unbelievable. When asked for one word to describe it, “love” was his response. Maria took a different and more creative way of describing the show, saying “This was a whole cinematic experience, with changes in mood according to the different colors and melody.” She also added that it was wild with energy. I would have loved to have gotten more personal input from the other fans in the audience, but I tuned in my ears to what members the crowd had to say as they were leaving as well, hearing “That was amazing”, “What a show” and “Wow”, among other comments of praise and contentment. This was the night, the concert and it definitely lived up to expectations.

As for me, I’ve been waiting for quite some time for the chance to see Mika live and it’s beyond surreal that tonight I was able to do so. This being my first time to ever see Mika live, to be honest with you, it’s hard to put an experience like this into words. You can listen to a song dozens of times on a cd, but to hear and see it performed live is like a whole other level. They were brought to life. The positive energy that came from Mika and the crowd was simply amazing and so was the passion that he has for his music. This is my interpretation. This night, this show was way better than I expected. I was really glad to be a part of it and I hope that someday I will able to experience this all over again. As one American fan who speaks for most, if not all the American fans, when you complete your US dates, please feel free to come back to visit us again live in concert sometimes in the future and thank you for an amazing night."

I think Nas was too busy Mikarring and other NYC frolicking to pay attention to FB. :fisch:

:naughty: you got me there christine! :aah:

It was definitely on the Facebook page. Ann Marie told me she had to have it

in by 11 a.m. the next morning, in fact! She had an incredible Mika week -- the next day she won the new CD from VH1. :thumb_yello:

Here's her write-up for those of you who missed it:

MIKA @ Webster Hall – by Ann Marie Gayz

:wub2: awwww

thanks deb! i'm glad i asked about it - that was a very nice report!:thumb_yello:

As for me, I’ve been waiting for quite some time for the chance to see Mika live and it’s beyond surreal that tonight I was able to do so. This being my first time to ever see Mika live, to be honest with you, it’s hard to put an experience like this into words. You can listen to a song dozens of times on a cd, but to hear and see it performed live is like a whole other level. They were brought to life. The positive energy that came from Mika and the crowd was simply amazing and so was the passion that he has for his music. This is my interpretation. This night, this show was way better than I expected. I was really glad to be a part of it and I hope that someday I will able to experience this all over again. As one American fan who speaks for most, if not all the American fans, when you complete your US dates, please feel free to come back to visit us again live in concert sometimes in the future and thank you for an amazing night."

Lovely report, especially love the bolded part!