Stephen's set to top the charts for one last time

dcdeb

(Thought this was interesting -- is this "Gave it All Away"?)

LOUIS: It's an amazing song by Mika and Stephen did a brilliant vocal on it

By Kevin Doyle

Thursday October 22 2009

Stephen Gately could be set for the top of the charts one last time, Louis Walsh has revealed.

The tragic popstar had recorded vocals for a new Boyzone track shortly before his shocking death on October 10.

The song, written by Mika, is almost certain to be a number one hit next year if the four remaining members can bear to have it released.

Manager Louis Walsh spoke candidly about the singer's untimely death, revealing there was no rift with Andrew Cowles, Boyzone had "a few drinks" when they stayed overnight in St Lawrence O'Toole's Church and that he considered a controversial Daily Mail column on Stephen's passing to be homophobic.

However, he could not say what the future held for Ronan, Shane, Mikey and Keith, explaining that they still had to cross that bridge.

At the same time, the X Factor judge made it clear that he would like to see them release the band's last song as a five-piece. "Mika gave us an amazing song. Stephen and Ronan did a brilliant vocal on it. Stephen loved the song. So I am hoping we might get that song," said Louis.

But he added: "At the minute all the lads are still in shock. Ronan is in Los Angeles. Mikey and Keith are in Dublin and Shane is in London."

Asked by Herald columnist Colette Fitzpatrick on TV3's MidWeek about whether Boyzone could go on, Louis said: "I don't know what the future holds for Boyzone. There's four in Take That and there's four in Westlife.

"But it's entirely up to them. They have to tell me what they want."

The pop guru also denied a reported rift with Stephen's partner Andrew, saying he was "100pc happy" with their relationship.

It had been suggested that a bitter row existed between the pair as a result of an incident several years ago, but Louis said: "No, I like Andrew a lot, he texts me almost daily now. I think he was a very positive thing in his (Stephen's) life," he continued."

Louis also played down the physical altercation Andy had with the singer outside the Ivy several years ago, where he appeared to have Stephen in a headlock.

"I think they had a row, everybody has a row. Every relationship has its ups and downs but he was happy with him and I had absolutely no problem with Andrew," he explained

"Andrew was always around the place, he was part of the act. When we went on tour, he was there. All his life, he (Stephen) was looking for someone to love him -- that was all he wanted. We were happy if Stephen was happy and he was fairly happy."

However, Louis did attack an article in the British edition of the Daily Mail which sparked thousands of complaints.

The opinion piece by Jan Moir said there was nothing natural about the singer's death, but Louis fumed: "It was a bad, insensitive, horrible article at the wrong, wrong time.

"The family don't need it at this time. It was just bad, bad taste but some people are very homophobic."

hnews@herald.ie

- Kevin Doyle

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/music/stephens-set-to-top-the-charts-for-one-last-time-1921327.html

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings on this.

1) Didn't Mika BAN them from using the song?

2) If released it would be a nice memoir to Stephen

3) It would also be good publicity for Mika and might make his album sales rise

Agreed.

It would be a very ironic and bittersweet way for Mika to have another #1 song though. I'm not sure how I feel about it, especially since (allegedly) he didn't want Boyzone to have the song when Stephen was alive. I really hope that if he does let them have the song after all and it gets to #1 there is not in fact a Mika backlash if you see what I am getting at.

Having said that how can there be a backlash when half the country hates him anyway :sneaky2:.

I'm curious to hear this song though now, even though I suspect it will be a somewhat cheesy ballad with a key change.:blush-anim-cl:

Agreed.

It would be a very ironic and bittersweet way for Mika to have another #1 song though. I'm not sure how I feel about it, especially since (allegedly) he didn't want Boyzone to have the song when Stephen was alive. I really hope that if he does let them have the song after all and it gets to #1 there is not in fact a Mika backlash if you see what I am getting at.

Having said that how can there be a backlash when half the country hates him anyway :sneaky2:.

I'm curious to hear this song though now, even though I suspect it will be a somewhat cheesy ballad with a key change.:blush-anim-cl:

Lol, it would be another Grace Kelly :naughty:

Yeh .... maybe Mika will see it in a different light now I guess

Look below...

Mixed feelings on this.

1) Didn't Mika BAN them from using the song?

2) If released it would be a nice memoir to Stephen

3) It would also be good publicity for Mika and might make his album sales rise

I thought Mika wasn't going to let them release it?

Maybe he had a change of heart.

Or maye the Sun were talking rubbish before. Either way, I really want to hear it.

I think the third statement is the truth! This is the Sun we're talking about. the ones who said Mika might quit music and do cartoons. This is a man who has music running through his veins!

I'm so happy about this news, but a bit upset too by the fact that when the story of Mika taking back the song was printed, Mika was almost vilified!

I do wish that papers would get their facts right. I think the truth is more like this.

Mika gave them a chance to do the song, Louis decided not to have them doing it, but now he realises it's a brilliant song, and a wonderful tribute to a tragically short life.

I hope it gets to number one, as a tribute to Stephen, and also, of course, for Mika's sake.

Let's be honest, sometimes Mika can get a little close to the cheese line with some of his slower songs, and the Boyzone treatment would almost certainly tip such a song over the edge. I'm not surprised he was (allegedly :naughty:) reluctant to give them a song.

It's a tricky one isn't it (if it's even true..)

Maybe Mika produced it himself and put his backing vocals in it :naughty:

It does say in the article that it the "last song." If that's true then it's only recently been recorded. Louis's statement said nothing about any arguments with the song and I do hope Mika lets them release it (I'm sure he will) because it would be so good for him.

I think he has changed quite a bit about working with other artists and collaborating. I know he was reluctant at first to work with others, but now he has been doing. It would do him so much good as a songwriter, if he does let other people sing some of his songs. As I said before, The Sun could have made a mountain out of a molehill with the previous story. I think this has the potential to be very good news indeed!

It does say in the article that it the "last song." If that's true then it's only recently been recorded. Louis's statement said nothing about any arguments with the song and I do hope Mika lets them release it (I'm sure he will) because it would be so good for him.

I think he has changed quite a bit about working with other artists and collaborating. I know he was reluctant at first to work with others, but now he has been doing. It would do him so much good as a songwriter, if he does let other people sing some of his songs. As I said before, The Sun could have made a mountain out of a molehill with the previous story. I think this has the potential to be very good news indeed!

Good point.

Perhaps he is learning to not be over-precious with his work. The Imogen Heap collaboration has been such a success, and gets him a wider audience.

Maybe (assuming this story is true) a compromise might be for Mika to have a hand in the production of the single? It might be a nightmare though as we know how control-freak he is; he wouldn't give an inch would he :naughty:. It'd have to be done HIS way. :naughty: