Stephen's set to top the charts for one last time

dcdeb

Good point.

Perhaps he is learning to not be over-precious with his work. The Imogen Heap collaboration has been such a success, and gets him a wider audience.

Maybe (assuming this story is true) a compromise might be for Mika to have a hand in the production of the single? It might be a nightmare though as we know how control-freak he is; he wouldn't give an inch would he :naughty:. It'd have to be done HIS way. :naughty:

I think he has been on a learning curve recently. His collaborations with Imogen and Owen Pallett have been a great success.

I can understand why he's always been so cautious, or even afraid. He's like a father who is nervous of his children leaving home and being shared with someone else. I have always understood how his music is so important to him, that he was even put off (initially) by his songs being sung back at him by all of us good people!

But in the same way as he now embraces the concept of the singalong, and even encourages us to sing back at him, I also think he's learned, by working with great artists like Imogen and Owen, that it's okay to share his work with others who love the music as he does.

Initially I think he was just afraid to share, or let his music take flight, in case it didn't come back to him, but now he realises it's okay. Just as parents learn to let go of their offspring who will always love them anyway, no matter where they go, and will always be their children.

The album, initially hasn't had the runaway success as LICM, but this is the time when Mika should take any opportunity to get his music out there. I think TBWKTM could be a great success, but not as quickly, or in the same way as LICM was. It was the novelty factor that helped LICM, but now it's time for Mika to prove to the world that he has staying power, not just as an entertainer, butalso as a songwriter. Letting others use his songs could do this for him.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way you write seems to me that everybody already heard the song. :naughty:

Interesting :pinkbow:

anyway, thanks :wink2:

We have absolutely no idea. Just a guess.

Mika might have decided to let the recording go just because sales are not that good now.

more advertising for him

What? Sales are no good? What about him being no. 1 at Itunes like everywhere. Ingie is not happy about this:mf_rosetinted:

I have jst found the original interview with Louis Walsh:

http://tv3.ie/shows.php?request=midweek

it starts from about 40mins ... here is the part in which it is mentioned:

Interviewer Colette Fitzpatrick asked Louis Walsh (Boyzone’s manager) if they were going to have a concert for Steve …

LW: “It’s soon to talk, I haven’t talked to the boys about it yet. It’s too soon to know what we are going to do, you know, but there are some records with his vocal on them. And maybe we can get out one of the songs…

We’ve got a really good song from Mika by the way, Mika gave us an amazing song. Brilliant song. And Stephen and Ronan did a brilliant vocal on it…and the other boys were there too . And I’m hoping we might get that song. It’s an incredible song, Stephen loved it. So if Mika gives us permission that could be a single.”

Deb,

Perhaps you also want to put the interview link in the first post, under the article.

Edited by suzie

We have absolutely no idea. Just a guess.

What? Sales are no good? What about him being no. 1 at Itunes like everywhere. Ingie is not happy about this:mf_rosetinted:

It's because people have been comparing it to LICM, which was quite unusual. But I actually think TBWKTM done well and is still very new, so has time to become even bigger.

I don't know if I'm happy about this or not..

It's cool because it's a mika song, but it's not cool that boyzone will sing it, so they will get all the attention! :aah:

I don't agree with that. I think people will know Mika wrote it. According to that interview, Louis Walsh said it was Mika's song, and his name will be on the record label as the composer.

This is what songwriters do. Lady Gaga has written songs for other people. Pussycat Dolls and Britney Spears (acording to my husband Alan who's a Gaga fan)

I don't think a Mika song needs to be only sung by Mika, and besides, even if BZ do record it, Mika could sing it himself if he wanted to! He would certainly have the right to do that.

Mika might have decided to let the recording go just because sales are not that good now.

more advertising for him

No -see my post. Louis Walsh said Mika had not yet given the go ahead yet:wink2:

Thank Bob, Mika is in charrrgeee:mf_rosetinted:

:thumb_yello:

:teehee:

Edited by suzie

I don't agree with that. I think people will know Mika wrote it. According to that interview, Louis Walsh said it was Mika's song, and his name will be on the record label as the composer.

This is what songwriters do. Lady Gaga has written songs for other people. Pussycat Dolls and Britney Spears (acording to my husband Alan who's a Gaga fan)

I don't think a Mika song needs to be only sung by Mika, and besides, even if BZ do record it, Mika could sing it himself if he wanted to! He would certainly have the right to do that.

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Mixed feelings on this.

1) Didn't Mika BAN them from using the song?

2) If released it would be a nice memoir to Stephen

3) It would also be good publicity for Mika and might make his album sales rise

Good point Cazzie.

Maybe someone can ask Mika about it at the next gig...

Are you sure that's a good idea?:naughty:

I'm sorry Mika, but the song sucks, even though he's dead now, it wouldn't be a great thing to leave behind:mf_rosetinted:

Exactly. C'mon man, even Erase is better.

Btw, I didn't hear it either. No one on here did, we're just guessing.

reading thread backwards now..:teehee:

Well, that was two years ago... who knows what negotiations were made since this?

Nothing, it's only Louis Walsh wanting to have it released. They obviously have few songs with Stephen's vocals as the work on their new album had not started yet when he died.

And maybe they re-recorded it, re-engineered it to sound less "cheesy"? :naughty:

Boyzone can only make a cheesy song more cheesy - I have no doubt about that...:naughty:

Maybe they think Mika can´t say " No " anymore now in this situation. It could be a sence of pressure for Mika. I have a weird feeling about it.:blink:

That's what I fear, too..Particularly if there are some lines in the lyrics that resonates well with the current situation (i.e. Stephen died before his time)

I can already hear Stephen starting the song, Ronan doing second verse and then they all join for the chorus, leaving all Boyzone fans sobbing.

:cool:

Edited by suzie

I think he has been on a learning curve recently. His collaborations with Imogen and Owen Pallett have been a great success.

I can understand why he's always been so cautious, or even afraid. He's like a father who is nervous of his children leaving home and being shared with someone else. I have always understood how his music is so important to him, that he was even put off (initially) by his songs being sung back at him by all of us good people!

But in the same way as he now embraces the concept of the singalong, and even encourages us to sing back at him, I also think he's learned, by working with great artists like Imogen and Owen, that it's okay to share his work with others who love the music as he does.

Initially I think he was just afraid to share, or let his music take flight, in case it didn't come back to him, but now he realises it's okay. Just as parents learn to let go of their offspring who will always love them anyway, no matter where they go, and will always be their children.

The album, initially hasn't had the runaway success as LICM, but this is the time when Mika should take any opportunity to get his music out there. I think TBWKTM could be a great success, but not as quickly, or in the same way as LICM was. It was the novelty factor that helped LICM, but now it's time for Mika to prove to the world that he has staying power, not just as an entertainer, butalso as a songwriter. Letting others use his songs could do this for him.

no :dunno: in my opinion its because gave it all away is cheesy in the extreme, even when mika sings it.

Mixed feelings on this.

1) Didn't Mika BAN them from using the song?

2) If released it would be a nice memoir to Stephen

3) It would also be good publicity for Mika and might make his album sales rise

good points caz. let's see what happens when/if the song is released.

no :dunno: in my opinion its because gave it all away is cheesy in the extreme, even when mika sings it.

How does anyone know what the song sounds like? Is there a link to it?

If no one has heard the song, why judge it before hearing it?

Imho, if it's a Mika song it will probably be really good, but I'll certainly wait until I've heard it, before passing any judgement.

• 2 weeks later...

Herald Sun November 04, 2009

Ronan Keating promises last Boyzone hit for Stephen Gately

RONAN Keating has predicted the next Boyzone single will be

the biggest hit of 2010.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/ronan-keating-promises-last-boyzone-hit-for-stephen-gately/story-e6frf9hf-1225794111057

"The song, written by British hitmaker Mika,

will feature late Boyzone singer Stephen Gately."

:Update:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/boyzone-tour-doubts-432894.html

Edited by A. Clay

1:35...

(also check out the beginning ... the story behind One Foot Boy? :teehee: Oh I'm KIDDING! But it's what I immediately thought of LOL)

Yep...:naughty:

On topic: Gave it all away sounds cheesy as hell but i'd like to see what they've done with it and how it sounds like.

I've read today in a newsletter about the song being Boyzone's new single. I didn't come on here to mention it, in case it wasn't true, but since the thread has been bumped anyway, let me just say this.

I am over the moon, thrilled to little mintballs with rainbow sprinkles on and amazingly happy and proud! And I'm sure it will be a huge hit for the boys and for Mika!!

To me there is no negative side to this! It's all good and it will only serve to help

Mika's career in Britain!

Herald Sun November 04, 2009

Ronan Keating promises last Boyzone hit for Stephen Gately

RONAN Keating has predicted the next Boyzone single will be

the biggest hit of 2010.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/ronan-keating-promises-last-boyzone-hit-for-stephen-gately/story-e6frf9hf1225794111057

"The song, written by British hitmaker Mika,

will feature late Boyzone singer Stephen Gately."

The link didn't work for me, but I found the article using search

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/ronan-keating-promises-last-boyzone-hit-for-stephen-gately/story-e6frf9hf-1225794111057

It looks the same link to me:blink: but try it anyway

edit :yay: it works

I'd love to hear this song, it'll surely increase mika's publicity, which is always a good thing.

But Mika has been put in a really awkward position.

If he lets the single be released, then he'll get hammered by the press, because they'll say he only released it now because of Stephen's death, and he just feels obliged to, he might not actually want to.

But if he sticks to his word, and doesn't let them release it, then he get hammered even more by the press, because they'll portray him to be very mean, and unsympathetic to Boyzone and their fans.

If I were him, i'd let it die down a bit, but if it came to it, then let them release it.

But you never know, it might not even come to this...

I'd love to hear this song, it'll surely increase mika's publicity, which is always a good thing.

But Mika has been put in a really awkward position.

If he lets the single be released, then he'll get hammered by the press, because they'll say he only released it now because of Stephen's death, and he just feels obliged to, he might not actually want to.

But if he sticks to his word, and doesn't let them release it, then he get hammered even more by the press, because they'll portray him to be very mean, and unsympathetic to Boyzone and their fans.

If I were him, i'd let it die down a bit, but if it came to it, then let them release it.

But you never know, it might not even come to this...

It strikes me that he never actually stopped them really. I think the press probably got the wrong end of the stick, as they so often do. The only ones who really know the truth are Mika, Louis and Boyzone but, for one thing, do we even know it's the same song? For another thing, if Mika had stopped Boyzone recording the song and had taken it back, why would Boyzone want it now?

If it was me, and a composer had stopped me recording his song, I would NOT want to use it ever! Even if my dead friend's voice was on it. So I don't think things were ever as bad as people might have thought. Any sane person would realise this and I don't think Mika will get any backlash (at least, no more than he usually gets anyway, whatever he does) and more people will respect him as a songwriter, and he'll get another number one, which won't do him one bit of harm!

You know, I'm also wondering if we're actually talking about Gave It All Away. It's possible Boyzone recorded more than one Mika-penned track. :dunno:

Secondly, I don't get the whole "Boyzone is too cheesy" thing. Sorry Mika, but if Boyzone were interested in the first place, that sounds to me like the song would be inherently cheesy in its own right. :teehee:

Mika's in a very privileged position to be able to say no. I can think of many talented songwriters who would love to have Boyzone release one of their songs, especially in light of recent circumstances.

But if they did perform his song he'll be stuck with the "so you wrote a song for boyzone, what is it like writing for such a huge group, will you be writing for them in the future.....etc" quetions all the time :dunno:

He can do what he wants in the end it being his song, I don't think stephen's death should make a difference.

Although it would be nice to hear the song :teehee: