Hapy Ending video on YouTube

RAK1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mika would never be predictable. Guaranteed. This is another pointlessly delicious one. I love it!!

predictable he is not..I see your point. I suppose a video is different from

the song itself . I like to think of them as two different entities. I guess I am an emotional sopp.

Hmm, I just don't get how anyone can say "it's creepy" and mean it as a negative! Creepyness is awesome.

I also disagree with any complaints about the beginning being too childish. I will admit that Mika shuffling into his empty apartment kitchen at 2 am, making himself a cup of tea, et, is what I see in my mind's eye when I hear the song, but precisely because of that it wouldn't be a good video idea. Way too literal and predictable. Besides that, that was the album and this is the video. Mika has a slightly different video/mass media image than his album by itself would paint. The childishness and the more upbeat, cutesy quality is more in line with that image, and I actually think the beginning is a great way of tying the two together--it's very recognizably MIKA, but it's also slightly creepy and unsettling to suit the less lighthearted mood of the song.

The opening of the video is really just about perfect (except I wish Mika were slightly more covered up. I do find you a very attractive young man, Mika, but keep your clothes on, please :bleh:). It puts me in mind of all those quirky childhood fantasies/stories/movies, the ones that are neither as simple nor as happy as they seem at first, and are all the more thought-provoking for it. I am also quite on board with him being lifted up into outer space--in fact it rather reminds me of my own "Billy Brown" story, where I drew on the same slightly-creepy-children's-fantasy theme. (Mika, really, if you are going to keep taking all my ideas, just hire me already!)

And though the Labyrinth and ET allusions are cute and all, I do think we could have done without them. Really, if it were up to me,

a) he would emote more once in space (follow Tyra's advice, Mika, and act with your eyez!)

b) when the balloon released him he would go into a protracted slow fall, and after he passed the clouds, he would start falling past cartoony-style multiple-story houses with lit-up windows, and he would look into those windows to see various people going about their lives (making tea, tucking a child into bed, etc), and then the hands would pick him up on "little bit of love, little bit of love" just before he hit the ground (if he was really set on the hand-faces, they could go here) and place him in his own bed.

Oh well... I still think it's nice enough.

Btw, to those of you saying you were reminded of MirrorMask more than Labyrinth, I should note that MirrorMask was made as a modern reimagining of Labyrinth, so Mika's touching all bases there. :biggrin2: But also, even those of you who saw Labyrinth may not have seen this separate music video David Bowie did for one of the songs from it:

http://stage6.divx.com/The-Doghouse/video/1435215/David-Bowie---Underground-(1986)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V8R03hK6wbA

MirrorMask's look was inspired by this more than the movie itself, I think, and you can see drawings coming to life here. Plus, oh! There are the speaking hands at the end as well, and in the middle, after Bowie first goes underground, watch him falling through outer space and hands catch him and stop his fall. Hee. Mika's such a Bowiefan.

--Jack

(except I wish Mika were slightly more covered up. I do find you a very attractive young man, but keep your clothes on, please :bleh:).

a) he would emote more once in space (follow Tyra's advice, Mika, and act with your eyez!)

I know, if Mika keeps taking off all his clothes like that, some "admirers" may find it cute to create 50 threads about how gosh darn "hawt" and "sexi" Mika is. Imagine that!

Haha, that comment about Tyra is funny. I don't think I've ever seen an episode where Tyra doesn't say someone about acting with your eyes and then striking a pose, and I've seen all the episodes.

Jack,

As you know I really like the way you comment things, and once again, although you seem to like this vid and I don't, what you say makes defo sense.

I'll just say this: I do not complain about the flying in the space thing, or the hands, which I think are great (and remind me both of Bowie and Fantasia... but noone has mentioned disney so far so I must be crazy, or just obsessed with white gloves).

What I regret is the total lack of "interpretation" and "emotion" as Elanorelle puts it. Teh Big M seems to be taking pose for a photograph rather than being singing and conveying emotion through the words. And that's what makes the vid cheesy! He's not NATURAL nor SPONTANEOUS nor a good actor in this vid :(

Jack,

As you know I really like the way you comment things, and once again, although you seem to like this vid and I don't, what you say makes defo sense.

I'll just say this: I do not complain about the flying in the space thing, or the hands, which I think are great (and remind me both of Bowie and Fantasia... but noone has mentioned disney so far so I must be crazy, or just obsessed with white gloves).

What I regret is the total lack of "interpretation" and "emotion" as Elanorelle puts it. Teh Big M seems to be taking pose for a photograph rather than being singing and conveying emotion through the words. And that's what makes the vid cheesy! He's not NATURAL nor SPONTANEOUS nor a good actor in this vid :(

I agree with you Niki--I think the only part we disagree on is that I think it takes the video down from "great" to "all right," but you feel it more sharply and think it brings it all the way to "awful." I definitely feel that there is not enough emotion or acting here, and that it could greatly benefit from a less comatose performance from Mika once he actually gets up into space... on another site, someone said the video was "ruined by his smug face," and while this was not a fan's opinion, I kind of see what they mean. Mika's expressions are too placid, and at times do look smug, which is rather the opposite of the song's intent.

Plus I already gave my own idea of what I would have done with the ending, so yeah, I'm not enamored with it. But the beginning really is terrific and to me the strong parts generally hold up well over the weaknesses.

--Jack

Teh Big M seems to be taking pose for a photograph rather than being singing and conveying emotion through the words. And that's what makes the vid cheesy! He's not NATURAL nor SPONTANEOUS nor a good actor in this vid :(

I don't think he's posing in the video. They've slowed the speed of his movements down to give it a dreamlike quality so there's really no way he can appear natural. All of those lingering looks into the camera are an artefact of the slow motion.

My biggest complaint is that it's entirely unoriginal. Aside from the clichéd bits, anything that could be mistaken for original appears to have been ripped off elsewhere.

One of Mark Ronson's videos uses animated wall graffiti. Note one of them is a girl being lifted through the air because her arm is attached to balloons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dYngU49mBQ8

My biggest complaint is that it's entirely unoriginal. Aside from the clichéd bits, anything that could be mistaken for original appears to have been ripped off elsewhere.

I don't really expect originality from Mika, at least not in that way. I expect a boatload of musical references, beloved memories, and allusions to his influences, but pulled together in a shiny new package with his own spin. When it works well, it should be so exhilarating that it shouldn't matter how much is original and how much is pastiche.

My beloved Oscar Wilde had a quote about that...

--Jack

Guys....something happened right now...at first i was iffy about the video...

but Ritchie showed me what the video is a bout and I starded crying! I am cryng right now.......oh my god oh my god oh my god.. sniff. snorfle...sniff.

whhaaaaahhaaaaaa....oagoagpaga[pgka....snifff......KLEEEENEX

Ritchie thinks MIKA just went through a break up of some kind and wants to go into his own world in a dream to get away from the pain and realizes that his friends love him and are there for him ( the dancing and singing hands) and that love will conquer all..friends will always be there..no matter what. My friends were always there when I broke up in a relationship. After seeing his point of view, I see it ! oh my god oh my god...

sniff....will watch again....sniff...sniffffffffffffff:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Er... what did you think the song/video was about before? :blink:

--Jack

well I think it was the same before..it was the video I was having a tough time putting together with the song. until Ritchie showed me...and oh my goodness, this is more powerful than I expected

I have to say I quite like it. not my fave mika video so far (which is still relax, followed by grace kelly), but it's original and if I HAVE to criticise smt, I'd choose the idea of presenting mika's room like a 8 y.o. old's room, though I can understand that's part of the character.

my opinion over the video is positive though :thumb_yello: