Any Christians?

JoPerrin

It's not the thread itself Christine, it's the fact that some people feel like they're being attacked for dicussing their beliefs in their own thread. We were all under the impression that we could discuss our beliefs in this thread without other people having a go at us for what we believe, but lately it seems like we can't even do that. We keep the God stuff in here. It's gone past the avatars and sigs now. it's way past it.

That, and Liz has no intention of posting on here. She is quite hurt and offended at what was said in response to what she posted. I spoke to her as soon as I found out and she wants nothing to do with this place, which is a real shame.

Frankly, I don't blame her.

I understand why she would feel that way. I would have never set foot in this thread if I wasn't a moderator because I think people should be left in peace to discuss things in relative private.

But I didn't bring up the subject of the forum guidelines in this thread and as a moderator I feel I have to address it.

:roftl::naughty::roftl::naughty::roftl: OMG FUNNIEZ!

You know exactly what I meant by my post. Don't try to cover it up with stupid smilies to make it look like you're somehow above my voice because you're a moderator.

No I didn't know what you meant when I first read it because of the way you broke up the quote. That's why I had to read it over again the same way that Nico described.

Even though I caught your insult eventually I still didn't know exactly what you were referring to since I'm not a mind reader and obviously don't consider myself someone who talks out of both sides of her mouth.

"Darn it. I really thought I had everyone fooled talking in euphemisms about shagging Mika day and night while condemning Christianity at the same time. Too bad Sarie has caught me out."

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

Address it head on. I could claim any number of things on this forum offend me, and it wouldn't change because some of the mods, including you, are in on it yourselves.

This isn't about what's offensive and what isn't. It's about using the forum to spread religious and political propaganda. It's tantamount to spam as far as I'm concerned.

Buy this gold watch. Vote for McCain. I don't see the difference.

"Chicken" (which, by the way, is one of the stupidest things I've seen online in a long time, and I watch Mika's video blogs) is sex.

I think it's one of the lamest jokes I've ever seen so at least we agree on one thing.

You don't have anything in your lives that actually fills it in the way our religion fills ours.

I wouldn't know. I don't have a religion shaped hole in my life and I never did because it's a totally foreign concept to me.

So you put it down because you don't understand it. And you're the same people crying gay pride for Mika because you don't want to appear prejudice. Well open your sleepy little eyes and look around: you're being prejudice every minute you're on this forum.

Are you still talking to me or is this a generalization about some nameless lonely old MFCers? Because I don't recall putting down people's religions or crying out for Mika's gay pride.

So I guess I can talk freely about religion in here, eh? :wink2: As long as it's not in my signature or avatar, riiight?

Um yeah...knock yourself out.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit confused by the fuss that was created by the new guidelines...from the previous posts on say around page 50 or so, people agreed to the no religious avatars or signatures..

Okay, I can deal with that.

What's with all the debate now?

Honestly a lot of it appears catty to me and a bit silly.

We agree to the rules, now can we all (mods and Christians) move on and put the petty arguments aside?

I haven't been on here in a few days and came back to read pages of debates after an issue was settled in a Christian thread...:blink:

Sorry, my post may seem a little strange and irrelevant, but, I'm tired and probably am not thinking straight at the moment and a little cranky after a stressful day...hah.

What I'm pretty much trying to say is can we all agree to disagree, move on, and continue discussing the current things going on in our faith? Because the pages of ongoing debates I just read clearly wont be settled due to differences in opinions, and, sorry guys, but I just have to say that some of the things I read here can give people the wrong impressions about Christianity and can encourage people to think of Christians as hypocrites. Do we really want that?

Lets think before we post and try to bite our tongues and control ourselves next time.

I've said my piece, now, I'll talk to you guys here again when things settle down.

Honestly, I want to talk about Jesus, discuss Christian artists, movies, books, and I want to hear about how things are going in everyone's spiritual lives..I don't want to argue. I don't come on MFC anymore for Mika, but rather to discuss my faith with people whom I've befriended here and who also share similar views and common interests and struggles in their faith.

:giveup:

I'm a bit confused by the fuss that was created by the new guidelines...from the previous posts on say around page 50 or so, people agreed to the no religious avatars or signatures..

We agree to the rules, now can we all (mods and Christians) move on and put the petty arguments aside?

I haven't been on here in a few days and came back to read pages of debates after an issue was settled in a Christian thread...:blink:

Sorry, my post may seem a little strange and irrelevant, but, I'm tired and probably am not thinking straight at the moment and a little cranky after a stressful day...hah.

What I'm pretty much trying to say is can we all agree to disagree, move on, and continue discussing the current things going on in our faith? Because the pages of ongoing debates I just read clearly wont be settled due to differences in opinions, and, sorry guys, but I just have to say that some of the things I read here can give people the wrong impressions about Christianity and can encourage people to think of Christians as hypocrites. Do we really want that?

Lets think before we post and try to bite our tongues and control ourselves next time.

I've said my piece, now, I'll talk to you guys here again when things settle down.

Honestly, I want to talk about Jesus, discuss Christian artists, movies, books, and I want to hear about how things are going in everyone's spiritual lives..I don't want to argue. I don't come on MFC anymore for Mika, but rather to discuss my faith with people whom I've befriended here and who also share similar views and common interests and struggles in their faith.

hear hear! :trumpet:

Ghostsintheradio, your post is offensive to older women- and, as your post has been edited, obviously intended to be so. I certainly don't expect to see such things when I read MFC and think you should apologise to me and any other woman over- what?- 30? (I notice you think Mika is still a boy at 25)- unfortunate enough to have been following this thread.

Also your language is coarse.

To apologize, I'd have to take back what I said. And I meant every word. So...

Are you still talking to me or is this a generalization about some nameless lonely old MFCers?

The latter.

If you wanted to openly chit chat about justin, the colour of the sky, or religion go to a chat room. That's my point of view, but i do take what freedom we have for guranted and make threads about people i admire, just because i have the opportunity, not because i think thats the way it should be.

:lmfao: i know right? damn you fanclub! damn you!

Just so I understand you correctly... Are you saying that by definition the fan club of a particular artist should only discuss things to do with that particular artist and nothing else or is there something else you're getting at? I'm a bit puzzled...

I apologize in advance to the people who want to just move on, but I'm not upset, I don't think M4L13 is upset and so I'm just wanting to satisfy my curiosity. Once I get clarification as to what she means I promise I'll drop it. If it takes more than a post or two, I'll discuss it with her elsewhere.

i am a christian and in the most polite terms, ghostsintheradio, its good that you share your opinons but you DO have to be carefull. youre putting alot of people into a category that they will find rather offensive.

personally i think the chicken thing is paticulary stupid too, but hey, they're welcome to have their jokes. its healthy.

I just don't understand why we're not allowed to have religious signatures or avatars.

The thing with Melanie just really put me over the edge. I don't even support Obama (nor do I use Christian sigs/avs) but it's the principal of the thing.

I'm just so done with this place. Everyone and everything about it (with the exception of about 10 people and a handful of threads) is pissing me off.

I thought he only claimed to be raised as a Roman-Catholic.

People's religions usually change when they get older. At least, from what I've seen.

True, but Mika has occasionally referred to religion in adult interviews- in the dvd he's seen crossing himself before going on stage, and in one interview (asked what he did before he went on stage) he said he prayed. And while wearing rosaries and crosses certainly doesn't signify Christian belief, they might do. Same with describing his voice (or somehting) as a "gift from God". Which suggests not a complete change of religion, though it doesn't help place him on the spectrum between "incredibly devout" and "havent' really thought about it in years"

Against this, when he said he wanted to do a Christmas/Chanukah song with Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson one of the British papers said "and being from Lebanon, he's probably Muslim"- so he might simply be trying to clarify this.

Against this, when he said he wanted to do a Christmas/Chanukah song with Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson one of the British papers said "and being from Lebanon, he's probably Muslim"- so he might simply be trying to clarify this.

I think that story about him wanting to work with Amy Winehouse was rubbish. I think he's already clarified that his family is Catholic and not Muslim. Not much you can do about what the British papers publish :naughty:

:lmfao: i know right? damn you fanclub! damn you!

horrible little fan club...

*sulks*

I understand why she would feel that way. I would have never set foot in this thread if I wasn't a moderator because I think people should be left in peace to discuss things in relative private.

But I didn't bring up the subject of the forum guidelines in this thread and as a moderator I feel I have to address it.

It was only brought up because someone was concerned that the thread was going to be closed.

And the general forum guidelines weren't brought up, only the one that said that religious avies were not to be used. I still don't know exactly why you decided to add that to the guidelines. I asked before, and didn't get an answer.

Would be nice for that to happen... hopefully it will and other people don't leave because of what's said.

I'm just so done with this place. Everyone and everything about it (with the exception of about 10 people and a handful of threads) is pissing me off.

Am I one of the 10 people that isn't pissing you off? :tears:

I think that story about him wanting to work with Amy Winehouse was rubbish. I think he's already clarified that his family is Catholic and not Muslim. Not much you can do about what the British papers publish :naughty:

The public at large could barely recognise Mika as a singer, let alone a Catholic. The Lebanese are assumed to be Muslims by most people under about 30ish.

And Mika does rather seem to like saying things.

What are other people basing their assumptions on? Have I missed anything?

One time I was talking to someone about Lebanon and for some reason I thought they were mostly Jews (this was before Mika)

And I was like "If I say the words 'Lebanon, Religion' what comes to mind?" and the girl I was talking to said "Aren't they Jewish?"

It was only brought up because someone was concerned that the thread was going to be closed.

And the general forum guidelines weren't brought up, only the one that said that religious avies were not to be used. I still don't know exactly why you decided to add that to the guidelines. I asked before, and didn't get an answer.

I'm going to respond to this in the thread about the change of guidelines.

I hate when people come into the apple thread to discuss things that set everyone off because most of the time it's a haven from what's irritating us in the rest of the forum. I can see that a lot of regulars here see the Christian thread the same way.

ETA: There has never been any discussion about closing this thread just for everyone's info.

The public at large could barely recognise Mika as a singer, let alone a Catholic. The Lebanese are assumed to be Muslims by most people under about 30ish.

And Mika does rather seem to like saying things.

What are other people basing their assumptions on? Have I missed anything?

I'm not sure what you mean? He likes saying things...so he should...?

What are people basing their assumptions on about what in particular?

(Sorry I'm slow today. :naughty:)

What's your point ? That mods are persecuting Christians ? :blink:

She's probably posting some verses since it is a Christian thread after all.

I'm by no means a regular in this thread but even I am getting annoyed with the hijacking. Maybe we should have a "Bickering Thread" and then I'll really know which thread to avoid.

And in all honesty, a few of the comments justifying the guidelines have been more offensive to my beliefs than if I saw an avatar with a different religion. I'm not getting into the argument, I just felt I needed to say it. Take it as you wish.

so what should i do.......i saw a group in front of the school this morning praying around the flagpole....i thought it was such a great idea, and i really want to join, but i'm way to scared! i mean the hardest part is that it's infront of the entire school including this guy i had -may still have:blush-anim-cl:-a crush on. so i really need the stenghth to go and join......

so what should i do.......i saw a group in front of the school this morning praying around the flagpole....i thought it was such a great idea, and i really want to join, but i'm way to scared! i mean the hardest part is that it's infront of the entire school including this guy i had -may still have:blush-anim-cl:-a crush on. so i really need the stenghth to go and join......

Today was National Pray Around The Flagpole Day!

The Alpha and Omega club (A Christian club for all Christian denominations at my school) all got together this morning and did the same. I wasn't able to make it, though, I forgot about it. :doh: I'm pretty bummed about that, but I can still pray for schools and students in our country and around the world on my own, which I did, ha. It's just really nice to have a national day made for public prayer where we can't really get denied permission for it since it is a national "holiday".

Anyway, don't be too discouraged about it. It takes a lot of courage to get up and pray in front of a large group of people, especially if not everyone has the same beliefs. Just put that fear aside and pray. Pray that the Holy Spirit may fill you with the strength and courage that you need and trust that God will provide.

What time was yours held?

Mine was at 7:15 in the morning..school starts at 8:25. My bet is administrators decided to hold it so early to avoid controversy. I'm just really glad they allowed it.

The Alpha and Omega club (A Christian club for all Christian denominations at my school) all got together this morning and did the same. I wasn't able to make it, though, I forgot about it. :doh: I'm pretty bummed about that, but I can still pray for schools and students in our country and around the world on my own, which I did, ha. It's just really nice to have a national day made for public prayer where we can't really get denied permission for it since it is a national "holiday".

Anyway, don't be too discouraged about it. It takes a lot of courage to get up and pray in front of a large group of people, especially if not everyone has the same beliefs. Just put that fear aside and pray. Pray that the Holy Spirit may fill you with the strength and courage that you need and trust that God will provide.

Mine was at 7:15 in the morning..school starts at 8:25. My bet is administrators decided to hold it so early to avoid controversy. I'm just really glad they allowed it.

Wow I had no idea there was such day! That's really exciting though....ours was held around 7 am, because school starts at 7:15. I will def. ask for strenth to pray, even if it's before lunch eating....which is probably one of the most scariest times, because all my friends are right there! Do you know of any other national prayer days?

:naughty:Yes, you're fine.

Yayness! *huggles*

I'm going to respond to this in the thread about the change of guidelines.

I hate when people come into the apple thread to discuss things that set everyone off because most of the time it's a haven from what's irritating us in the rest of the forum. I can see that a lot of regulars here see the Christian thread the same way.

ETA: There has never been any discussion about closing this thread just for everyone's info.

Fair enough. But you still didn't answer my question about why the mods added the bit about religious and political avatars to the guidelines...

HPANA (a Harry Potter site and forum) has a large number of people signed up to it (something like 80 000 members), and even they don't have anything about no religious avatars...

It's pretty hard, but my suggestion is if you see that group praying, just go up and ask. The worst they'll do is say no (but I doubt it)...

It reminds me of the people dancing at WYD... people from a lot of countries just got up and started singing and dancing...

:blink:

You have a national pray around the flagpole day?

Oh, I meant to tell everyone... My niece had her first reconciliation on Tuesday... parents and other adults were encouraged to get up and go to reconciliation, so I did!

I could feel my heart beating so fast it wasn't funny... it wasn't scary, but it reminded me of having to do it at school... Actually it was good to get a few things off my chest... I could feel a weight lifted off my shoulders...

Too bad a lot of the parents didn't get up and do it... there were about a dozen people who did it, including myself and my sister (my niece's mum)... The main priest was talking about going to reconciliation and eas encouraging the adults to get up and do it, and he added that if they expected their children to do it, they should show their kids that they can do it too... and he also talked about making sure that the kids have pictures of Jesus around, so then they can get a better idea of what Jesus looks like and they can believe that he's there for them...

I actually asked my Dad is he was going to go and confess to not being a Catholic :naughty: (he's a Baptist... even though he goes to a Catholic church more than a Baptist one)...

I haven't posted in here for a while, mostly because I have been trying to gather my thoughts on the whole issue that's been going around for the last couple of days...

...anyway, I will just say that I don't agree at all with the new rule that was added to the guidelines...in fact, I wholeheartedly disagree....however, I do understand the reasoning behind adding it despite my feelings about it. I will, of course, abide by the rules of the MFC.

....having said that, I want the mods to know that I don't hold any hard feelings about this and I hope that we can simply move forward. I find it a bit frustrating that this topic continually has arguments in here....especially when many of the regulars in this topic have made it clear that all we want to do is talk about our feelings, opinions, experiences, etc...etc...in regard to Christianity. I think we are a fairly peaceful bunch of people and I think that many of us all just want to come here to share our thoughts with one another without feeling like we are doing something wrong.

So....I suggest that we move on and let this issue rest. Or at least I hope we can move on... :)

PS. Thank you also to the mods for bringing attention to the new additions of the guidelines.

Oh, I meant to tell everyone... My niece had her first reconciliation on Tuesday... parents and other adults were encouraged to get up and go to reconciliation, so I did!

I could feel my heart beating so fast it wasn't funny... it wasn't scary, but it reminded me of having to do it at school... Actually it was good to get a few things off my chest... I could feel a weight lifted off my shoulders...

Too bad a lot of the parents didn't get up and do it... there were about a dozen people who did it, including myself and my sister (my niece's mum)... The main priest was talking about going to reconciliation and eas encouraging the adults to get up and do it, and he added that if they expected their children to do it, they should show their kids that they can do it too... and he also talked about making sure that the kids have pictures of Jesus around, so then they can get a better idea of what Jesus looks like and they can believe that he's there for them...

I actually asked my Dad is he was going to go and confess to not being a Catholic :naughty: (he's a Baptist... even though he goes to a Catholic church more than a Baptist one)...

Ummmm, not being a Catholic here, I have to ask... What is reconciliation from a Catholic perspective? Is it like what we have?... which is going out to the penitent form or mercy seat to pray?

Also... I don't understand the idea of having pictures of Jesus everywhere so that kids know what he looks like. None of us know what he looks like!

That actually reminds me of a really lovely song on that topic. I can't remember it now, but when it comes to me I'll post the words.

That's neat! I haven't been to confession since last November.:thumbdown:

And about not knowing what Jesus looks like, I was actually watching a show one time and they were recreating what He looked like based on His heritage and where He grew up.

It was totally different from the Jesus we see in pictures. He had black, tight curls, and a big nose.