Calm Down With The Projects! (Maybe?)

Sivan

Should we calm down with the projects?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should we calm down with the projects?

• Stop with the projects!
    • dont stop but calm it down a bit...
    • Lets do as many projects as possible!!!

this is my interpretation (:naughty:) of what blue sky meant;

it is easier for people that have had the satisfaction, joy, happiness of handing mika something and it being received well, and maybe worn publicly it is easier to say that less/no projects should be given to mika, unlike the people that havn't yet been able participate in a project and had the chance to show mika their appreciation

i think if there will be less projects and bigger ones that everyone can participate in... the more chances he will feel like having them and reading them...when he DOES get one.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good settlement for this would be to just have projects for things that he either needs for some reason, or for major holidays. Of course, the US projects should not be combined with the European projects as far as counting them and saying how many he gets, because he definitely does not get as many presents in the US, simply because there is a smaller number of hardcores, so the situation is different.

But also, the Aussies, Americans, Canadians, Japanese etc, fans can make something that is specific to their country, rather than something that is generic (for lack of a better word)...

A perfect example is the kimono that the Japanese fans gave to Mika in Tokyo. It is specific to their country.

Not really secrecy so much as nothing's been decided yet. We've thrown a few ideas into the pot, that's all, but if Aurora is actually at the Aussie thread, she as an Aussie can participate and not feel like we've left her behind.

Exactly! We can't leave any Aussies behind!

Past

Scrapbook (Letters) April

Birthday Project (Cards) August

Relax! Project (Letters) August

Quilt November

Christmas Project (Audio CD) December

Yearbook December

Current

Valentine's Project (Letters) February

Appreciation DVD (Video) February

Apple Pose Book (Photos) ???

Off the top of my head, the list is missing the mobile made for him - which was started by a fan in Israel, I think? - and the trophy project.

My take on this is that as long as we keep things to a decent level, it's okay. The quilt was sooo creative. The scrapbook was amazing. The Christmas project will likely make him smile. I would imagine that things like that are things that he's at least a little bit appreciative of.

I must say, the trophy project is a sweet gesture - but IMHO, it's a bit un-necessary. Right after he lost at the EMAs, he won a stack of trophies at the World Music Awards. Not to say that he won't appreciate a project like that, but especially in light of him winning a bunch of other trophies, it doesn't seem as relevant. That and, he's nominated for a gazillion other things; we can't make him a trophy every time he loses at an awards show, can we?

I think the "for special occasions" idea is on the right track.

Oh, and who was it who said a while back that the next project should be a dumpster for him to toss all our junk in? I want to say Enfa...? Brilliant. :roftl:

Also - another point to consider, as others have touched on, is that if his popularity continues to increase, he won't be nearly as accessible. It will be much harder to give these things to him; something to keep in mind.

I think the projects should be cooled down for a while.

They just don't seem special anymore... I don't even bother opening threads that have anything to do with projects lately.

I think personal gifts are fine, like when fans give him things as individuals. But I think the big, community projects should be more limited. Everybody and their dog has a project they want to get rolling.

Look at the difference in his reaction from when Sivan gave him the book, and when Suzy gave him Melanie's book. I mean... you HAVE to see the difference. I don't think he'll appreciate it as much if we just keep giving him elaborate things. Not only that, but because there's so many projects, I think we're making more mediocre things as apposed to focusing all of our attention on one SUPER present every couple months.

Just my opinion, though.

this is my interpretation (:naughty:) of what blue sky meant;

it is easier for people that have had the satisfaction, joy, happiness of handing mika something and it being received well, and maybe worn publicly it is easier to say that less/no projects should be given to mika, unlike the people that havn't yet been able participate in a project and had the chance to show mika their appreciation

I think people should look at it objectively whether they've given Mika things in the past or not. If people find that giving Mika gifts is all about making themselves feel good then perhaps they should reconsider their motives.

Off the top of my head, the list is missing the mobile made for him - which was started by a fan in Israel, I think? - and the trophy project.

My take on this is that as long as we keep things to a decent level, it's okay. The quilt was sooo creative. The scrapbook was amazing. The Christmas project will likely make him smile. I would imagine that things like that are things that he's at least a little bit appreciative of.

I must say, the trophy project is a sweet gesture - but IMHO, it's a bit un-necessary. Right after he lost at the EMAs, he won a stack of trophies at the World Music Awards. Not to say that he won't appreciate a project like that, but especially in light of him winning a bunch of other trophies, it doesn't seem as relevant. That and, he's nominated for a gazillion other things; we can't make him a trophy every time he loses at an awards show, can we?

Oh, and who was it who said a while back that the next project should be a dumpster for him to toss all our junk in? I want to say Enfa...? Brilliant. :roftl:

Also - another point to consider, as others have touched on, is that if his popularity continues to increase, he won't be nearly as accessible. It will be much harder to give these things to him; something to keep in mind.

Good point...

Though I'm signing on for the dumpster project! I wanna paint it pink with purple polka dots! :roftl:

I think people should look at it objectively whether they've given Mika things in the past or not. If people find that giving Mika gifts is all about making themselves feel good then perhaps they should reconsider their motives.

I agree.

It's no fun reading someone's long, drawn-out posts about how they gave him something. Look at Sivan, she made that thread about giving him the necklace and how he wore it, BUT she didn't go on and on like "OH so yeah, mika loves me, and i'm his favorite person ever, and he really liked it, and blahblahblah." And it was nice to see someone not get a god-complex.

I agree.

It's no fun reading someone's long, drawn-out posts about how they gave him something. Look at Sivan, she made that thread about giving him the necklace and how he wore it, BUT she didn't go on and on like "OH so yeah, mika loves me, and i'm his favorite person ever, and he really liked it, and blahblahblah." And it was nice to see someone not get a god-complex.

This is totally off topic but...

OMG! Rainbow Brite!!!

Carry on! :naughty:

I think the projects should be cooled down for a while.

They just don't seem special anymore... I don't even bother opening threads that have anything to do with projects lately.

I think personal gifts are fine, like when fans give him things as individuals. But I think the big, community projects should be more limited. Everybody and their dog has a project they want to get rolling.

Look at the difference in his reaction from when Sivan gave him the book, and when Suzy gave him Melanie's book. I mean... you HAVE to see the difference. I don't think he'll appreciate it as much if we just keep giving him elaborate things. Not only that, but because there's so many projects, I think we're making more mediocre things as apposed to focusing all of our attention on one SUPER present every couple months.

Just my opinion, though.

Well it wasn't MY book of course it was OUR book:mf_rosetinted: and he couldn't exactly speak when it was presented to him due to his obvious illness.

BUT He appreciates the book just as much as the earliest projects he received. I just know it. It's all about the circumstances under which these gifts are presented to him. I am for the lightening of projects, however, when we start speaking of this fear that mika will be less appreciative of our "elaborate" gifts than that's when I think the argument gets a bit ridiculous. I refuse to be afraid that mika will be less appreciative. If we all gave gifts with that kind of a thought in our minds, how would our world be?

Well it wasn't MY book of course it was OUR book:mf_rosetinted: and he couldn't exactly speak when it was presented to him due to his obvious illness.

BUT He appreciates the book just as much as the earliest projects he received. I just know it. It's all about the circumstances under which these gifts are presented to him. I am for the lightening of projects, however, when we start speaking of this fear that mika will be less appreciative of our "elaborate" gifts than that's when I think the argument gets a bit ridiculous. I refuse to be afraid that mika will be less appreciative. If we all gave gifts with that kind of a thought in our minds, how would our world be?

totally....!!! everyone should feel special that they are giving from their heart...no matter what it is...

Look at the difference in his reaction from when Sivan gave him the book, and when Suzy gave him Melanie's book. I mean... you HAVE to see the difference.

Well in all fairness Mika couldn't talk. :naughty:

Someone suggested at the time that they were just making excuses to rush him into the venue, but in light of the next 3 days cancellations, I'm pretty sure he was too sick to even be performing that night, muchless gushing to Suzy about a project.

There was quite a reaction from the cameraman and I believe it was sincere and reflective of what Mika thought. At the very least Mika must have been showing it to people for Andy to have such a strong opinion about it.

But yeah I agree with you about the overkill on the projects obviously. I don't think I'll ever participate in a project unless it becomes an annual thing that everyone is working on.

And I am absolutely certain I will never be handing him one personally. I was so horrified at Mikey and Martin's reaction to us that I shoved my laminated pass in with the book so I didn't have to give it to him myself. I really feel uncomfortable at the idea of imposing on him and have a hard time viewing these gifts as doing Mika some big favour that he should be grateful for. I think I thanked him and John at least 3 times because I was so relieved that he listened to what Suzy had to say and accepted the book graciously.

I'm not going to speak for Suzy but she didn't even remember what happened when it was over so I'm not sure it was any moment of joy and satisfaction for her either.

I really think in the coming years it would be more appropriate to arrange a meeting with Mika at a time when he's available for a few minutes and that's only going to happen on special occasions, not at the rate MFC has been doing projects in the past year.

Well it wasn't MY book of course it was OUR book:mf_rosetinted:

You made the book. That's why I called it "Melanie's book."

and he couldn't exactly speak when it was presented to him due to his obvious illness.

But he didn't show the same kind of emotion. I understand he was sick, but he was well enough to perform. It was in his body language. I know you want to think differently because you made the book, but it's true. It has nothing to do with you, it has to do with the fact that we're giving him too much stuff.

BUT He appreciates the book just as much as the earliest projects he received. I just know it.

I'm sure he appreciates it, but I'm also willing to bet that it's not AS special anymore.

guess we should limit them down a bit before he needs to start hiring a few people to carry stuff for him :bleh: and there's always more time in the future, but i guess it just feels like everything needs to be done now lol. Well i'm doing a giftbook for Yasmine.. don't know if thats kinda the same thing as I might have to give it to mika to give it to her, but ah well :blush-anim-cl: i'll stop after this one, i promise! :bleh:

Okay, no one take offence, this is just how I see things

Na, it's the holidays...the spirit of giving wins! Well I'm not getting rid of my yearbooks that's for sure: I wonder where he puts everything, but no matter...I'm sure he loves everything and makes room :)

Possessive much? :naughty:(jk):mf_rosetinted:

But on that note,

I see projects more as belonging to everyone. Yes, there is always one person who came up with the idea, and put in the most work, but things like a yearbook are not just one persons book. Thats just my interpretation though, and I mean no offence.

The yearbook idea is a good one. Its not perfect (nothing is) but its good.

FINALLY!!!! I've always wanted to say this but i'm glad its coming from someone everybody likes. :biggrin2:

Thank you. wow,i think i feel almost as relieved as mika might.

Now if they can stop with all the voting thread... *runs*

I agree about the voting threads, in that maybe they should stop spamming other threads, and just concentrate on keeping the voting thread up the top. Personally, I don't really like seeing a link to vote in every thread I go to, less so if I've already voted.

one project a year would be cool...the huge yearbook...

but I still think we should do something really creative...not computer tech...like the birthday project

so maybe 2 a year

I think while projects should cool down, picking a number isn't fair. First you have the specific countries, who might want to do something becuase they haven't before. Then there's his BDay, Christmas etc. Plus, picking a number also sets pressure on those projects to be absolutely fantastic

lol the thought of mika throwing something away is just:shocked: I'm trying to picture it, and I just can't. .

I think its a tad unrealistic to think Mika keeps absolutely everything, as much as we would wish he does. Unless he has a storage shed somewhere or something, the space issue means he will have to get rid of items, whether through throwing them out, or giving them to friends/family/charity. That said, the more personal a project, the more likely he is to keep it.

Well... my personal feeling is to keep the projects... but I think some are slightly pointless and are being done for the sake of doing a project (I think there was talk about people making an award for Mika after he lost to Avril)... I think he might get to the stage that he doesn't appreciate it, just thinks that its more crap he has to store...

Basically, I think we can keep doing projects, but make sure they're not pointless... and if it's practical its even better!

I agree as well. The projects should be about making him smile, or being useful, not about being remembered. That said, everyone does want to be remembered for something. I think projects should have a reason, as opposed to being just for the sake of givin him a gift.

i agree... but i think EVERYONE that want to participate can do that in the next big project... i didnt say STOP.... i just think less will be better.... ofcourse anyone can do what ever they want... im not gonna decide for anyone... it was just a thought i had that i wanted to share with u all....

It's a valid point you raised Sivan, and a good one. However, at the same time, I also just want to say, its not really feasible to say that everyone who wants to participate in a project can do so in whatever may next. They may not like the project, or through their abilities be unable to find a way to get involved.

On the same thought, those who feel there are too many projects,or don't like a project are just as able to not particpate.

Good points. I like the idea of a dumpster, or a bin project :naughty:

And also, its true. The bigger he gets, the harder it will be to get projects to him, and the more people might get tired of being the ones to have to carry all the stuff to him.

I like the idea of projects for special occasions, am against setting a set number of projects. I also think projects should have meaning, and that maybe having so many is a bit of a stretch.

But as I said, thats just how I view things. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Good point - he was clearly under the weather. I think its only natural to wonder about his reaction after spending forever on something for him.

I refuse to be afraid that mika will be less appreciative. If we all gave gifts with that kind of a thought in our minds, how would our world be?

Melanie, one of the sweetest things about you is your unwavering, innocent, wide-eyed optimism. Seriously. If we could bottle it and feed it to all the cynics, the world would be a much happier place. :wink2:

guess we should limit them down a bit before he needs to start hiring a few people to carry stuff for him :bleh: and there's always more time in the future, but i guess it just feels like everything needs to be done now lol. Well i'm doing a giftbook for Yasmine.. don't know if thats kinda the same thing as I might have to give it to mika to give it to her, but ah well :blush-anim-cl: i'll stop after this one, i promise! :bleh:

Lol, you don't have to promise to stop. And it is different, because Yasmine isn't getting a quilt. Yasmine isn't getting yearbooks. And it's not the Yasmine fan club.:naughty:

I totally agree. If anyone didn't detect a note of forced obligation in his thank-you for the birthday project, they weren't listening closely enough IMO.

I may have missed this, but can someone point me toward the direction of his thank you?