MFC Will Be The Official Fan Site For Mika

FREDDIESDOUBLE

Hahah. On the one hand, you guys are going, "but what about people who are huge fans bit haven't managed to find or join the MFC? Having MFC-only opportunities is unfair to them!"

Well, if after MFC becomes official it's advertised on Mika's myspace and webpage, then anyone at all interested in Mika and who has internet access can easily find us.

On the other hand, people are then going "but if it's advertised everywhere, people will join just for tickets, oh nooo! They'll be able to take part in MFC-only opportunities even though they haven't been on MFC for ages!"

Kind of a damned if you don't, damned if you do situation, eh? :wink2:

--Jack

P.S. I hate the idea of paid fanclubs. But the plus side of even a small fee is that it will keep people who aren't serious about it from registering. Few people would pay to join the fanclub if they didn't really care about Mika.

Placabo's fanclub used to cost like $20 for a year, which wasn't too bad.

Other possibilities include: early-adopter life membership, where those of us here already do not have to pay. Or a discount based on the number/frequency of posts, so if you're an active contributor you pay less than someone who just registers for the heck of it.

Ooooh do u like Placebo. I lurrrve them, never meet anyone who likes them as well, as they're abit of an acquired taste :punk:

If you don't like them, ignore me lol :blush-anim-cl:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahah. On the one hand, you guys are going, "but what about people who are huge fans bit haven't managed to find or join the MFC? Having MFC-only opportunities is unfair to them!"

Well, if after MFC becomes official it's advertised on Mika's myspace and webpage, then anyone at all interested in Mika and who has internet access can easily find us.

On the other hand, people are then going "but if it's advertised everywhere, people will join just for tickets, oh nooo! They'll be able to take part in MFC-only opportunities even though they haven't been on MFC for ages!"

--Jack

P.S. I hate the idea of paid fanclubs. But the plus side of even a small fee is that it will keep people who aren't serious about it from registering. Few people would pay to join the fanclub if they didn't really care about Mika.

Other possibilities include: early-adopter life membership, where those of us here already do not have to pay. Or a discount based on the number/frequency of posts, so if you're an active contributor you pay less than someone who just registers for the heck of it.

Yes Jack ..... & I'm hoping that perhaps ..... we won't be having to pay anything at all ... however ... if we do ... I hope that the fee is small ... & affordable for all .... :wub2::thumb_yello:

Sorry, my geographically-deficient self includes the UK in Europe. :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah me too. I was just pointing out that there really isn't anywhere that the current membership would have to fight over tickets if the first 5 rows were reserved for us.

Not me. Mika and MFC have been around for over a year now and if you haven't managed to find your way here yet, too bad.

Barenaked Ladies have a tier system to balance the fact that earlier fanclub members spent years paying for membership and that later fans were able to join for free. The first tier gets right of first refusal on presale tickets before they are passed on to others.

The current membership has made MFC what it is. We've paid for it through donations, we've built up the membership by advertising on YouTube and through word of mouth, we've created and read the million+ posts and we have lobbied Mika's management to become official.

I don't care what anyone says or how selfish it sounds, the current membership is entitled to more rights than anyone who joins after Monday and I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get them.

--Jack

I like these ideas.

I think the post count especially is important.

There are thousands of members that have been here for months that never post here. But by the veteran member rule they would be eligible for benefits. If they are shy, then it's another story, but we do have access to last log in, etc.

I feel regular activity just shows members are more interested in keeping this forum running. If I could look at it from Mika's point of view, considering how unfortunately dull MikaSounds is, which is why the petition existed in the first place, and with his Myspace page potentially advertising that MFC is the official place to go, regular posting with up-to-date information regarding Mika becomes extremely important. And obviously, regular posters are the ones that do that.

--Jack

Yeah, I think I posted (in here?) about Maroon 5 before. Their's is $30US and the main reason I wanted to join was for the inside goss on where people were planning to wait for them before the concert etc. I didn't pay the $30 as i already had tickets, but they had a presale available to them which included first few rows and soundcheck.

I agree that a minimal fee will keep genuine fans on here and those trying just to score extra benefits for the hell of it away.

This is the first fan club I have ever been involved in so I can't really be certain what things work etc??

Agree with you Christine. I mean I've only been here a short time, but when I decided I wanted to look up more stuff on Mika on the web - apart from his Official site, this was the second place I visited.

It wasn't hard to spot lol

So people should be hear already. Obv if his second album is completely incredible (which it will be - have no doubt about it) we probably will get new members.

I mean it was pretty obv that Jan alot of people joined like me who'd got stuff for Chrimbo - Noticed afew after his Brits performance too.

Each time he performs somewhere we seem to get new people which is great, really.

He bloody deserves to be huge. And we should be prepared for the fact he's gonna be.... :)

I've said before I was a huge huge fan of blur since 91'. God I loved that band so much. They never even had a fanclub til 95'.

When they blew up in 94' I was pretty proud of the fact I'd followed them for years by then. They're a local band. So that's why they got my interest all the way back then.

In '95 they actually played my hometown of Clacton. Noone ever ever plays here ever, I didn't know, there was no fanclub - this was before it was launched.

I couldn't even get a ticket for it - people who just had a passing fancy for them bought all the tickets - I was absolutely gutted. Felt like crying for a whole week before the gig took place :(

Maybe if the fanclub had been setup before this - I would have stood a better chance - so I kind of see some of this should be based on how long people have been here and how dedicated they already have been to Mika. Cos' it sucks believe me when you miss out on stuff like that ....

Yeah me too. I was just pointing out that there really isn't anywhere that the current membership would have to fight over tickets if the first 5 rows were reserved for us.

Not me. Mika and MFC have been around for over a year now and if you haven't managed to find your way here yet, too bad.

Barenaked Ladies have a tier system to balance the fact that earlier fanclub members spent years paying for membership and that later fans were able to join for free. The first tier gets right of first refusal on presale tickets before they are passed on to others.

The current membership has made MFC what it is. We've paid for it through donations, we've built up the membership by advertising on YouTube and through word of mouth, we've created and read the million+ posts and we have lobbied Mika's management to become official.

I don't care what anyone says or how selfish it sounds, the current membership is entitled to more rights than anyone who joins after Monday and I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get them.

Thanks Christine, you nearly always put it the way I would like to if I was more rational and articulate. I don't need to even try now. :wink2:

The post count thing would actually work quite well, but would be pretty difficult to set up. I was exactly thinking of the hundreds of members who had signed up here and never posted more than 5 times (ie, have gone on to other things).

It might be said to encourage people to post more just to get benefits, but honestly it would get old pretty quick for anyone who wasn't genuinely interested. You can't get 1000 posts if you're doing it "just for tickets."

Here is how I'd possibly see it working:

people with a 1000 posts in the last year get membership free, people with 500+ get it reduced, the rest have to pay, repeat for each next year.

Not that any of this will be done as it's still way too much counter-intuitive bother.

--Jack

i`d like to make a point too about pre-sale ticket to the forum members im not sure if it was mentioned here , when mika starts playing at venues that are seated for example .. wales the forums members who live in wales should be able to obtain the the best seats first then the rest given out on (please dont jump on me for this) who been here the longest in my eyes this is fair dont u think ? i know if i was going to a gig in glasgow & i ended up in a seat 3 rows back with people from other countries i wouldnt be happy at all :thumbdown:

back on the subject *yay* roll on monday :punk:

Yes Jack ..... & I'm hoping that perhaps ..... we won't be having to pay anything at all ... however ... if we do ... I hope that the fee is small ... & affordable for all .... :wub2::thumb_yello:

Same here!

If it's small I can probally get away with still coming on here :naughty:

As long as whatever happens isn't too confusing I'm happy XD

*Deserves discount on membership due to having to wait for news on Monday longer than anyone else*:wink2::naughty:

Besides those sleeping Kiwi's.. But they aren't as good at whining :mf_rosetinted:

i`d like to make a point too about pre-sale ticket to the forum members im not sure if it was mentioned here , when mika starts playing at venues that are seated for example .. wales the forums members who live in wales should be able to obtain the the best seats first then the rest given out on (please dont jump on me for this) who been here the longest in my eyes this is fair dont u think ? i know if i was going to a gig in glasgow & i ended up in a seat 3 rows back with people from other countries i wouldnt be happy at all :thumbdown:

back on the subject *yay* roll on monday :punk:

I understand your point completely (and would be pisssed if it happened to me coming from a place that only has 3 active mfc members!), but then on the other hand if I had flown from another country etc I would hate to be thrown towards the back. As we hae discussed the main issue with these London gig's is there is just such a large fanbase in the UK, France and other countries nearby.

The North American concerts seemed to be trouble free as there was a managable amount of fans there including the ones that had come from o/s. Am guessing the next UK shows may be bigger (and seated?) so it may change things a bit.

Where is FD?? I am not going to bed until I have news :bleh:

It is a very complex issue isn't it? I agree in principle to local fans having first stab..but not sure how it would work on a practical level. :shocked:

so your with this on me kath ? i dont care if someone has flown from the usa just for a gig in my home town thats their choose not mine . as many know i went to london last week which caused a rumpass in my house before & after i got back so from now on i will only be doing local gig from now on & when mika plays glasgow again & its seated im sorry but theres few active members here from glasgow we should get them !

*starts chant*

What do we want?

News!

When do we want it?

Monday!

When's Monday?

Now!

:naughty:

*Picks up inflatable doll, strawberries and a bucket and joins in the chant*

so your with this on me kath ? i dont care if someone has flown from the usa just for a gig in my home town thats their choose not mine . as many know i went to london last week which caused a rumpass in my house before & after i got back so from now on i will only be doing local gig from now on & when mika plays glasgow again & its seated im sorry but theres few active members here from glasgow we should get them !

I agree. I think locals do need priority in these cases.

Yeah, but it's Sunday here... :blink:

But over here, In Australia , it's already Monday..

So we want news!!!

But if you'd prefer to wait another 10 hours and 20 minutes, that's your choice :naughty:

I'm with you on this not 'with this on you':naughty: I am getting a bit worried about you after what you posted in the Oldlings about the person you were talking to in Brixton!:wink2:

Yes, I do absolutly agree....but I just don't think it can work. When tickets go on sale (even if there are pre sales just for fan clubs or whatever) I am not sure they could do this as it would be seen as discrimination. If I travel to another country I don't expect special treatment, I am just another fan. But I do think it would be nice if the local fans, especially the very active ones could get front row. This would be VERY difficult to arrange in places like London though..probably easier in places l ike Glasgow.