Mika says THANKS

CazGirl

didnt see this anywhere unless its lurking in a thread somewhere. apologies in advance.

MIKA wins Brit Best Breakthrough Artist!

Great news – MIKA has won the 2008 Brits Best Breakthrough Artist, an award voted by Radio One Listeners and one where I am sure you played a major part. Thanks a million guys – fantastic effort!

MIKA was not so lucky with the Best UK Single, Best UK Male Singer and Best UK Album but still had an amazing night with a stellar opening performance. His medley of ‘Love Today’, a duet with Beth Ditto on ‘Standing In The Way Of Control’ and Best Single nomination ‘Grace Kelly’ will surely be a talking point for some time to come.

So a great night that cap a great 12 months of MIKA achievements – thanks to you all for your support and your votes and your general well wishes. Top stuff.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As nice as this is, I would hope that Mika himself will post a thanks to the fans, much like he did for the birthday present last year.

Because he didn't do it in his speech, and that's a big no no.

In fact the only ones who did thank the fans, were Take That.

I'm not dissing the big guy, and maybe he was going to say something if he'd won best male, but to be honest, the time to say it was for the breakthrough, because that was voted for by the fans.

As I said in an earlier post, the Fratellis made the same mistake last year and apologized afterwards.

I know he mentioned the people who initially discovered him in the popbitch blog, but over the last year he has gathered a much larger fanbase and not to acknowledge this is hardly fair.

Just my opinion.

As nice as this is, I would hope that Mika himself will post a thanks to the fans, much like he did for the birthday present last year.

I'm not dissing the big guy, and maybe he was going to say something if he'd won best male, but to be honest, the time to say it was for the breakthrough, because that was voted for by the fans.

As I said in an earlier post, the Fratellis made the same mistake last year and apologized afterwards.

I know he mentioned the people who initially discovered him in the popbitch blog, but over the last year he has gathered a much larger fanbase and not to acknowledge this is hardly fair.

Just my opinion.

I agree Rose! I said a similar thing to someone earlier.....I was quite disappointed that he failed to mention the fans, who have been his main support. Hell, the only support besides Jo Whiley and Chris Moyles:roftl:

It was probably the emotions and excitement of the moment...

Hum, turns out he sort of did...he thanked the radio 1 listeners then? I must admit i was hoping for him to mention fans in general though, for the support he got last year, knowing how hard people have pushed him, etc...Specially the PR work we do for him!!

I lost count of the number of people that I have converted to Mika so far!

Just my opinion.

i was very happy when they announced the award i didn't catch what he said actually ... he screamed i think ??

yeah!!!! i quite liked take that at brits, the guy with beard and mark owen looked very nice

I just heard some of Mikas acceptance speech on R1 and he did indeed say thank you to everyone who voted on R1.

So my heartfelt apology for my massive blunder.

Sorry big guy, next time I'll make sure my ears are well and truly cleaned out, and if you feel the need to slap me round the head at Hammersmith on Monday, feel free.

Just my opinion.

I agree, I just watched it, and I was just waiting for him to go...and to the fans, but he only thanked those who found about him 2 years ago! dammit! i didnt even know he existed then! but Im as much a fan as anyone so, i felt dissapointed. especially since some of us couldnt call in and vote!

not dissing him or anything, its such a small space of time to thank everyone.

on a better note ZOMG! I loved the beginning when he picked up the thing and said YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Just my opinion.

i agree :thumb_yello: i was also waiting anxiously for him to thank the fans , especially with the mfc going official ... hopefully he will do it in a myspace bulletin or blog :)

He was great .. the performance and his speech ..

I just felt so bad for him when he didn't get best male .. he looked so disappointed :(

It was the establishment's fault. It's all about who went to The Brits School, and who is their favourite. Mark Ronson is great, but the award should have gone to a singer/songwriter (Mika) not someone who just takes songs and adapts them for other artists. Mika was robbed, but at least the public came through for him.

And I'm glad Leona didn't win anything. She shouldn't even have been nominated. She hasn't earned the right to be there.

It was the establishment's fault. It's all about who went to The Brits School, and who is their favourite. Mark Ronson is great, but the award should have gone to a singer/songwriter (Mika) not someone who just takes songs and adapts them for other artists. Mika was robbed, but at least the public came through for him.

And I'm glad Leona didn't win anything. She shouldn't even have been nominated. She hasn't earned the right to be there.

Like you say, it was Brit School night.

Kate Nash, Adele, Mark Ronson.

By rights KT Tunstall should have won Best Female, she's earned it, but I guess the committee was pushing for their alumni to get the votes.

Don't get me wrong, I like the three of them, but it does seem to be Brit School heavy.

And what a strop they got in over the Arctic Monkeys second speech, they cut it off, just because they took the mickey out of the school. I thought they were hilarious. Good on 'em!

Like you say, it was Brit School night.

Kate Nash, Adele, Mark Ronson.

By rights KT Tunstall should have won Best Female, she's earned it, but I guess the committee was pushing for their alumni to get the votes.

Don't get me wrong, I like the three of them, but it does seem to be Brit School heavy.

And what a strop they got in over the Arctic Monkeys second speech, they cut it off, just because they took the mickey out of the school. I thought they were hilarious. Good on 'em!

Totally agree :thumb_yello:

It was all a bit nauseating at times, with the Brit School thing. So cliquey.

I'm glad the Arctics took the p***. I bet the Brits people had to BEG the Arctics to turn up last night because they knew only too well that they'd be the only real comedy moment! And then they cut them short!

When you look at it like that, it really is no wonder Mika didn't get given any award by the Brits Clique.

I am convinced, too, that they waited to see if Mika would win the Breakthrough award before deciding they could then get away with not giving him Best Male. I believe they really didn't want to give him that, and were relieved when he got the other award, so they could give it to Ronson.

Oh I am such a wicked cynic:mf_rosetinted: