2008 - Reports/photos/videos/afterparty For Brixton 28-02-2008

carrinevie

Wow, that is ridiculous!! And deeply, deeply disappointing.

Actually, not just disappointing--embarrassing. :boxed:

As if it's not bad enough for the queue situation to get so out of hand as to come to John's attention, then when there is an afterparty to make up for it, people have to spoil that too? Can't people act maturely without being forced to behave by someone? Is John going to have to be Mika's tour manager or the MFC's babysitter?

(I'm honestly not very pleased by the fact that John's kind one-off gesture of hot cocoa has been turned into basically an obligation due to people whinging, either. I've never really interacted with the man, but geez.)

I understand that it was almost all MFCers...:thumbdown:

I think there were 2 extremes happening here:

(1) You stand back and watch others monopolizing him, so you think to yourself - it's now or never and I'm gonna get my turn now, because if I don't act fast, I might never get this chance..

VS.

(2) Need to listen to what he requested and wait patiently, even if it means I might not get my chance...

I know that in DC there weren't 150 people, but there was quite a group--both of MFCers and non-MFCers. Somehow everyone managed to politely wait their turn, have their little chat with Mika and then give someone else a chance, and people even went out of their way to make sure that no one was neglected and that no-one was monopolizing Mika's time. Everyone went away having got a piece of the Mika pie.

Both in NY and Philly too, people waited, said their bit to Mika, left, came back for a second round if they had something else to say after others had got their turn. It's not that difficult people.

I hope only a few were affected by this sad turn of events though, and that a lot of MFCers got to have a nice experience. Surely the pushy people couldn't have kept everyone else away... waiting to hear the other resports.

--Jack

Actually, not just disappointing--embarrassing. :boxed:

As if it's not bad enough for the queue situation to get so out of hand as to come to John's attention, then when there is an afterparty to make up for it, people have to spoil that too? Can't people act maturely without being forced to behave by someone? Is John going to have to be Mika's tour manager or the MFC's babysitter?

(I'm honestly not very pleased by the fact that John's kind one-off gesture of hot cocoa has been turned into basically an obligation due to people whinging, either. I've never really interacted with the man, but geez.)

I know that in DC there weren't 150 people, but there was quite a group--both of MFCers and non-MFCers. Somehow everyone managed to politely wait their turn, have their little chat with Mika and then give someone else a chance, and people even went out of their way to make sure that no one was neglected and that no-one was monopolizing Mika's time. Everyone went away having got a piece of the Mika pie.

Both in NY and Philly too, people waited, said their bit to Mika, left, came back for a second round if they had something else to say after others had got their turn. It's not that difficult people.

I hope only a few were affected by this sad turn of events though, and that a lot of MFCers got to have a nice experience. Surely the pushy people couldn't have kept everyone else away... waiting to hear the other resports.

--Jack

Vancouver was exactly the same..we were polite and waited and the MFC was essentially seen first! we were told to stay in a straight line and MIKA would see everyone of us individually and gave us he time we needed.What is world has caused this? Desperation???what happend in England? Seems like that ever since the tour finished in Vancouver., the tone changed.....or is this a regional thing?

[

It TOTALLY IS!! You can see it at 1:11. Go Sara!! :punk:

I think so too! :woot_jump: I remember thinking 'Is that another new t-shirt?! I LOVE IT!' I'm really not making that up either!! :roftl: Afterwards we were talking about it with these other 2 guys we met and one of them said, 'I looked in the store for that shirt Mika was wearing, but they didn't have it! I thought it was for sale... *in a whiney tone* I want oneeeeeee!' :lmfao: That guy was great!

pics please??

Mine is this one, but bear in mind that it looks quite different on him, LOL!

This is a bad shot of the Tshirt squished on the bed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sariflor/MikaInDusseldorf/photo#5129444516800250674

Hun, that t-shirt is awesome - of course it would look better when you saw it on his bod instead of deflated lying on the bed. :blush-anim-cl: And MrsP videotaping you - love it!!!!

That is really such a cute shirt. It screams Mika. No wonder he wears it all the time! I'd never stop smiling if I were you.:thumb_yello:

Thanks guys:wub2: . It does look nicer in reality though. It has silver glittery braces, and silver shoes with sequins, and then the rest is plain colour...red for the pants and black the rest...

It was meant to be a "play" on the one he usually wears with the boy on it, but kind of making it a little Mika (hence the curly hair and braces and so).

:roftl: :roftl: Soooo cute... I love that....

Yeah he is a sweetie, isn't he?!! "go ask my mum":roftl:

I see...thanks for answering my question. I was just curious if things appeared to end on a positive note. Especially since some people have felt the night didn't go too well.

Btw...glad you had a nice experience tonight!

I really don't know..I hope we'll find out.

Vancouver was exactly the same..we were polite and waited and the MFC was essentially seen first! we were told to stay in a straight line and MIKA would see everyone of us individually and gave us he time we needed.What is world has caused this? Desperation???what happend in England? Seems like that ever since the tour finished in Vancouver., the tone changed.....or is this a regional thing?

England is a LOT different than the USA and Canada! He's popular there! :naughty:

A big one is that England is far more Mika crazy than Vancouver, and there seemed to be far fewer "uber fans". Secondly, I suspect the demographics might be different. I may be wrong, but I'm gettting the impression that pre-teen and teenage girls make up a huge chunk of the North American fan base, whereas in the UK, he seems to attract a more diverse (and potentially more sh*t-disturbing?) crowd.

I'm sincerely happy for Sariflor and RAK1's good news. :punk:

But again, not everyone will be pleased... because a handful ruined it for others who didn't get their chance.:thumbdown:

I know Sariflor (Sara) - and I am positive that she was not one who contributed to the crowding, but that she was very fortunate to have had that interaction with Mika before the crowding happened.

On a happier note, Sariflor, that's so great! First off, so glad you got a nice chat with him and his mum... hopefully makes up for any annoyances of days past! And that t-shirt is amaaaaaaazing, as someone would say, and whoa, so cool to see him wearing it! :punk:

Rak1, you haven't posted the rest of your write-up yet, but I hope you had as good a time as Sara!

--Jack

I think that's it! :shocked: I might be wrong (it's not unknown :blush-anim-cl:), but I really think that was the one!!

There were no camera's allowed, but I found this video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dpfIqu80zsI

where you can't tell! :sneaky2: I think it is though!

It TOTALLY IS!! You can see it at 1:11. Go Sara!! :punk:

Wow,thanks for that guys! I thought he was making it up, haha!

[

I think so too! :woot_jump: I remember thinking 'Is that another new t-shirt?! I LOVE IT!' I'm really not making that up either!!

Afterwards we were talking about it with these other 2 guys we met and one of them said, 'I looked in the store for that shirt Mika was wearing, but they didn't have it! I thought it was for sale... *in a whiney tone* I want oneeeeeee!' :lmfao: That guy was great!

Thanks so much for these comments! I thought I was just making a silly tshirt and now all this. Hahahaaaaaa.

I found some pics that an mfc'er posted from the Chicago gig and here it is:

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081989&id=102900006&l=20967

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081991&id=102900006&l=20967

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081998&id=102900006&l=20967

Omg I just can't believe it ,this is hilarious. How could he have worn it for a while and I didn't even notice :roftl:

"Hello, is it me you're looking for?" LOL!

Sorry for the wait, but when you go hob nobbing with these big stars, they tend to keep you out all night, heh heh.

Rose, you crack me up! :roftl: Love your report -- anxious for part 2!

pics please??

Mine is this one, but bear in mind that it looks quite different on him, LOL!

Awww, your shirt is adorable! But no, not the shirt from NYC, definitely

not. :( But it does look like it might be the one from Chicago -- hard to

see on that video, but definitely possible! :thumb_yello:

Well, as others have said, we don't want to overreact until we here

more of the story... Let's hope it wasn't so bad...

*remembers DC backstage* *sighs*

We really were so lucky -- it was just about the perfect experience.

I wish it could be like that after every show... but realize it can't be.

The way this afterparty was described sort of

reminds of me when I go to Disney World

and one of the characters appears -- everyone immediately crowds

around trying to get an autograph or a photo... The difference is

that at Disney the characters have handlers who then organize the

crowd into a line, and everyone has to wait their turn. I guess maybe

a little more structure is helpful. :blink:

OK, now I'm envisioning future Mika Meet & Greets set up like a Disney

character experience -- one line for Luke, one for Mikey, one for Martin,

etc. and then the last one for the big M, who is in this case MIKA, not

Mickey. :naughty:

Yeah, I'm delusional... and I'm leaving for Disney World in a few hours... can ya tell? :wink2:

dcdeb

Rose, you crack me up! :roftl: Love your report -- anxious for part 2!

Awww, your shirt is adorable! But no, not the shirt from NYC, definitely

not. :( But it does look like it might be the one from Chicago -- hard to

see on that video, but definitely possible! :thumb_yello:

*remembers DC backstage* *sighs*

We really were so lucky -- it was just about the perfect experience.

I wish it could be like that after every show... but realize it can't be.

The way this afterparty was described sort of

reminds of me when I go to Disney World

and one of the characters appears -- everyone immediately crowds

around trying to get an autograph or a photo... The difference is

that at Disney the characters have handlers who then organize the

crowd into a line, and everyone has to wait their turn. I guess maybe

a little more structure is helpful. :blink:

OK, now I'm envisioning future Mika Meet & Greets set up like a Disney

character experience -- one line for Luke, one for Mikey, one for Martin,

etc. and then the last one for the big M, who is in this case MIKA, not

Mickey. :naughty:

Yeah, I'm delusional... and I'm leaving for Disney World in a few hours... can ya tell? :wink2:

dcdeb

the line does help! that is how we did it!:)

Thanks so much for these comments! I thought I was just making a silly tshirt and now all this. Hahahaaaaaa.

I found some pics that an mfc'er posted from the Chicago gig and here it is:

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081989&id=102900006&l=20967

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081991&id=102900006&l=20967

http://kendall.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30081998&id=102900006&l=20967

Omg I just can't believe it ,this is hilarious. How could he have worn it for a while and I didn't even notice :roftl:

Now that you know you can brag about it nonstop!! :lmfao: You did such a great job! I really loved it!! :wub2: Ok.. I'm going to stop now.. you know I loved the tshirt. :blush-anim-cl: I'm starting to annoy myself.

Rak1, I'm glad you got your wristband to go backstage, and it seems like your night was amazing..can't wait for the rest of your report!

Sariflor, what an experience! Sounds incredible, the shirt is insanely cute/awesome, and I'm glad your night was way better than the other two this week.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you guys.

I hope we get a clearer version of the events (because I wouldn't rely on making too many more conclusions then the little 5 minute conversation I had with Christine to tell the whole story). I'm just hoping that the people who monopolized him, although registered MFCers, are not the active members we expect more well-mannered and gracious behaviour from. :blink:

Oh, I doubt it was so bad as to get Mika's team to really notice or change their mind about MFC's official status or anything--but I'm still disappointed on behalf of even the few people who did not get their chance because they tried to be polite and wait their turn, and embarrassed simply for MFC's own sake... I know we can do better.

--Jack

Oh, I doubt it was so bad as to get Mika's team to really notice or change their mind about MFC's official status or anything--but I'm still disappointed on behalf of even the few people who did not get their chance because they tried to be polite and wait their turn

I know :( Reminds me of the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished." :thumbdown:

dcdeb

I feel bad for that handful of people that lost out. :( And I'm curious who the people are that caused a stir...

*dons moderator hat*

I know most people wouldn't think of it - least of you, Manda - but let me say right now that if and when names start being dropped, there will be no MFC-wide mass retaliation against anyone whose behaviour may have come across as questionable.

A wise saying goes "There are three sides to every story: Your side, my side, and the truth." Even if it does come to light that some of our nearest and dearest did not conduct themselves as they should have (:boxed:), running after them with torches and pitchforks will only further the type of negativity that the MFC works very hard to avoid.

OK, now I'm envisioning future Mika Meet & Greets set up like a Disney character experience :wink2:

Can I have one of those character breakfasts with Mika...and Stitch?

Love Mika. Love Stitch. Love breakfast. There could be no better day. :blush-anim-cl:

Part 2

To cut all long story short:

Another interview at party, Andy said they all think I'd make a great tv presenter.

Mika singled me out in his speech, saying all the fans were great even the ones in the silly animal costumes, to which I replied no need to worry, the penguins retiring tonight. To which he replied so we'll get something bigger and better then, so I said I'm only short what do you expect from me. He asked what was next, and I told him he'd have to wait and see, heh heh!

Bearing in mind this conversation was happening over the heads of about 40 people, as he was by the bar,and I was stood on a bench seat the other side of the room!

I got a pic with Mikey (FINALLY!)and pinned him down to sign the flag, also got John to sign it too. Almost got Luke, (who was with his brother tonight) but me and Avoca got distracted by John, heh heh.

Talked to Cherrise, took some photos of her with Jemma and a couple of other people, spoke with Yasmine, told her that her brother was mad following me round with a camera for 3 months, which she thought was funny.

Talked quickly to Martin, who was with his wife(lovely lady, must have the patience of a saint, bless her), before he launched into singing Happy Birthday to one lady, and our Dani, who looked quite shocked by it.

Then the final interview with Andy, who got me to admit that Mika is now the greastest singer between him and JC Chasez, which I wouldn't do before, but because of the Champagne reception I had to conceed Mika,a puts on awicked meet & greet;-)

Then it looked like Mika was about to leave, but Avoca was on a mission to help me sign the flag. So we stood in front of him, which isn't easy, when he keeps zigzagging around the crowd.

Finally we were face to face, and the first thing he said to me was,"All this time, and I still don't know your real name" So I told him what it was, and I mentioned that he signed it on my vinyl copy of LT at HMV last year, but he said "You expect me to remember that far back!" So I said far enough. Then we got talking about my job, which he strangely remembered that I'm a courier, but can't remember my name!

He then signed the flag with "Mikaxxx, Dear Rose, better name than penguin"

The things that make him SO great!

Then I had 3 photos with him, taken by him!

He didn't like the first 2 but was happy with the 3rd.

I LOVE MY LIFE!

THE END.

I'm sincerely happy for Sariflor and RAK1's good news. :punk:

But again, not everyone will be pleased... because a handful ruined it for others who didn't get their chance.:thumbdown:

I know Sariflor (Sara) - and I am positive that she was not one who contributed to the crowding, but that she was very fortunate to have had that interaction with Mika before the crowding happened.

Thanks for that Suzy:wub2: - I hope I behaved well:blush-anim-cl:.

I was just on a high about the tshirt, so when we were all there I went over (didn't push or do anything of the sorts though!) and asked about it, and then asked for the pic.

Then I went off to chat to others for ages, and a bit later I went back there to stand close when others were chatting and stuff, but I really don't think that I hogged him, or did anything bad:sneaky2:. I just stood there watching other ppl's interactions....hope I didn't annoy anyone. I know I'm probably irritating everyone tonight:naughty:.

And I just decided to go for the pic because I've been waiting so many months for one and I never want to bother him, so after Mika just thanked me for making the shirt seemed like an occasion where he would not say no, LOL!!!!

I think I was the first one to ask

On a happier note, Sariflor, that's so great! First off, so glad you got a nice chat with him and his mum... hopefully makes up for any annoyances of days past! And that t-shirt is amaaaaaaazing, as someone would say, and whoa, so cool to see him wearing it! :punk:

Rak1, you haven't posted the rest of your write-up yet, but I hope you had as good a time as Sara!

--Jack

Thanks!!