"Rain," Everybody!

I've read through the thread, and I guess I understand why some don't like it. That's fine, of course, nobody is making you. Go non fan girl attitudes:bleh:

I've listened to Rain again, and I still like it. And not just because "ilikeeverythingmikaevenifitsoundslikesh*tjustbecauseit'smikasinging"

I like the lyrics and the flow of the song. Even if it wasn't mika singing it, i think i'd still like it. *shrugs*

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for it... that song is screaming for new lyrics...

Just like Erase was screaming for new lyrics...

I kind of like a few of my original interpretations of the Rain lyrics better than what they actually are. :naughty:

And Kata- It's not that you're making fun of it- You can have real feelings and dictate them cheesily, in any case. IMO.

But I do personally still really like this song, anyway.

I definitely think the chorus will sound better in the studio than this live recording, I just don't think it's supposed to sound strained. There's definitely like technological editing for that kind of effect it seems he's going for.

I've listened to Rain again, and I still like it. And not just because "ilikeeverythingmikaevenifitsoundslikesh*tjustbecauseit'smikasinging"

I like the lyrics and the flow of the song. Even if it wasn't mika singing it, i think i'd still like it. *shrugs*

Even if that was the case that people just like it because Mika is singing it...there's nothing wrong with that. If you fell in love with Mika because you love his music then chances are you're going to like most of what he does because that's your taste in music.

My feelings about Mika's music have always been more ambivalent. I generally like more of a gritty, bluesy type of sound like Adele, Paolo Nutini, Amy Winehouse, etc. That's just my taste.

I do think this song is a bit lacking in some objective ways, but mostly it's just a matter of taste. If you enjoy his falsetto and don't mind a bit of schmaltz in your ballads you're probably going to like the song.

I like it.

First time I a bit dissapointed, but at the end of the song I cried a bit:naughty:

I think and hope the studio version will be better:thumb_yello:

Why the hell were you talking about I gave it all away?

I personally, watching the performance last night, don't think it's Mika's voice that is the problem. He had Saranayde, new guy David and the other newbie, whose name escapes me harmonising during the chorus. And watching them singing, and not wanting to be too critical feel it was David that let him down.

I'm sure he is a good singer, but not for THIS song.

It should have been Martin accompanying him, with Saranayde , their voices are much smoother and the right pitch, and would have been spot on.

And should he happen to read this, I would have said it last night, but you were in a hurry so I left it.

But if I see him in Amsterdam, I will mention it, and I won't be wearing a silly costume, so maybe now he'll take me seriously!

I was checking to see today and I still love the song,

but as I said earlier, I like the piano the best and the vocals, the lyrics are repetative and perhaps a bit lacking...

but last night this song made me cry my eyes out. I love almost every song that can make me feel something, because not a lot of pop music today can...of course it was a really long day and it was at about 1am and I was feeling pretty emotional..

but again, watching the video, it is painful. Listening to the mp3, I love it.

I wonder what the Paris people thought of it then if it took most of the people who liked it to listen a few times...

I personally, watching the performance last night, don't think it's Mika's voice that is the problem. He had Saranayde, new guy David and the other newbie, whose name escapes me harmonising during the chorus. And watching them singing, and not wanting to be too critical feel it was David that let him down.

I'm sure he is a good singer, but not for THIS song.

It should have been Martin accompanying him, with Saranayde , their voices are much smoother and the right pitch, and would have been spot on.

And should he happen to read this, I would have said it last night, but you were in a hurry so I left it.

But if I see him in Amsterdam, I will mention it, and I won't be wearing a silly costume, so maybe now he'll take me seriously!

The name of the other one is Sam:thumb_yello:

Hmm...dunno. I have to hear his voice alone to judge about that I think.

I was checking to see today and I still love the song,

but as I said earlier, I like the piano the best and the vocals, the lyrics are repetative and perhaps a bit lacking...

but last night this song made me cry my eyes out. I love almost every song that can make me feel something, because not a lot of pop music today can...of course it was a really long day and it was at about 1am and I was feeling pretty emotional..

but again, watching the video, it is painful. Listening to the mp3, I love it.

I wonder what the Paris people thought of it then if it took most of the people who liked it to listen a few times...

when I was there and he starting playing the piano, the whole stadium fell silent in quiet anticipation. The melody was simply enchanting and as the song progressed I fell in love with it, as did everyone around me. It was a mesmerizing performance and I think it was one of the best performances that night for him. Also, he said it was an acoustic version of the song, so in the end it could have any arrangement - from piano like OMS to dance like Love Today, we just don't know yet. I personally love the song.

I almost feel like some people here won't be satisfied unless the new songs are like LICM. Any attempt at something new, and you'll analyze every note to death and find something you don't like about it as much as you love LICM.

I like "Rain". I do think the chorus goes on a bit, but the song itself is beautiful, and I look forward to hearing it again--a studio version would be wonderful to get my hands on eventually, so I hope it is on the album. I think we need to hear it performed more than once to get a real sense of the song. One listen isn't enough, especially a live performance.

Just my two cents. :wink2:

when I was there and he starting playing the piano, the whole stadium fell silent in quiet anticipation. The melody was simply enchanting and as the song progressed I fell in love with it, as did everyone around me. It was a mesmerizing performance and I think it was one of the best performances that night for him. Also, he said it was an acoustic version of the song, so in the end it could have any arrangement - from piano like OMS to dance like Love Today, we just don't know yet. I personally love the song.

It was acoustic?:shocked:Great!:punk:So it may be even better?

I almost feel like some people here won't be satisfied unless the new songs are like LICM. Any attempt at something new, and you'll analyze every note to death and find something you don't like about it as much as you love LICM.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Well, it is true for some people I'm sure, but I wouldn't say that is what's going on with this song.

I definitely would love to see something new, even very different from LICM. But I think many of us have high expectations and it's going to be hard to please us now. Not because we want more of the same, but because we've seen glimpses of how very talented he can be, and what his potential is. I think that many of us are just hoping to be blown away, whether or not it has a similar sound.

Edit: I'd actually like to see him focus less on the spectacle and more on the basics... just to let us hear his voice. At Adele's concert there was no "show", just her at the front of the stage, baring her soul. I would soooooo love to see Mika do that, but it's not going to happen - at least not for many years until one day he decides to reinvent himself. Right now he just wants to be a showman, and although it made for a spectacular concert I think it might make me lose interest if the actual songwriting and craft of the songs on the next album don't do it for me.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Well, it is true for some people I'm sure, but I wouldn't say that is what's going on with this song.

I definitely would love to see something new, even very different from LICM. But I think many of us have high expectations and it's going to be hard to please us now. Not because we want more of the same, but because we've seen glimpses of how very talented he can be, and what his potential is. I think that many of us are just hoping to be blown away, whether or not it has a similar sound.

thats so true, we all have huge expectations, or at least I do.

listening to HJ and HMDYLM and Rain, especially those last two, have a similar feel to each other...I just hope Mika doesn't think he has to have songs completely different from LICM..because I really love the concept of a happy sound with a darker lyric...but again...those rain and HMDYLM lyrics..are repetative and right now leave something to be desired for me.

If you enjoy his falsetto and don't mind a bit of schmaltz in your ballads you're probably going to like the song.

I do occasionally enjoy a bit of schmaltz. :naughty:

Well, I know people want something new, and expect amazingness from Mika, but...if it's too different, will you still like it? Maybe the direction Mika wants to go isn't one you want him to go.

That said, I also think very much that Mika is saving the best for the record. We're not going to hear the final songs, or the ones he's really excited about right now, because he wants us to be in suspense, and really be surprised when the new album comes out.

I really like the beginning of the song. But I'm not really convinced by the chorus... Too whiny, as someone has already said... And maybe too repetitive.

But it has happened with some songs of Mika; I didn't like some at the beginning, and learnt how to like them later...

Really, I'm listening to "Rain" right now. It's the chorus which is a problem for me ^^.

Even if that was the case that people just like it because Mika is singing it...there's nothing wrong with that. If you fell in love with Mika because you love his music then chances are you're going to like most of what he does because that's your taste in music.

My feelings about Mika's music have always been more ambivalent. I generally like more of a gritty, bluesy type of sound like Adele, Paolo Nutini, Amy Winehouse, etc. That's just my taste.

I do think this song is a bit lacking in some objective ways, but mostly it's just a matter of taste. If you enjoy his falsetto and don't mind a bit of schmaltz in your ballads you're probably going to like the song.

And that makes perfect sense, everybody has their own style that they like. I love Mika's music, and i will admit that i am always biased towards him, even if i don't mean to be.

One thing i will say about Rain, is that i wish he would change the lyrics a bit where it repeats the second time. I keep in mind though, that recorded in the studio, it will be cleaner sounding. In the beginning, during the chorus, the falsetto was good (imo) but towards the end chorus, you could tell he's was getting tired.

I can do with a little schmaltz:bleh:

I'm wondering how this song will sounds recorded though- oh, and I like the backing vocals in it also.

I dont want to judge him and maybe "you had to be there" , but it doesnt sound a patch on how much do you love me

The worry for me is the 2nd album needs to be something really good , and LICM was a tough tough thing to beat

Let it rainnn , I could be brownnnn , I could be blueeee rainnn , I could be snow , I could be iceeeee

Maybe has a better ring to it:naughty: