"Rain," Everybody!

This is my interpretation...

Nooocat.jpg

LICM is the only album I have absolutely loved from beginning to end - even from the very first play :wub2: So I guess it was always gonna be hard to follow that up, but if Rain is a sign of things to come then I feel more than just a little bit disappointed :(

Like others who have shared their opinions on this thread I find the chorus too repetitive (and quite frankly a bit lazy) - it just goes right through me. Also am I the only one who keeps thinking of Elvis' 'Suspicious Minds' when MIKA sings " ...caught in a trap, can't look back"?? Aaarghhhh get out of my head with your hip-shaking ways :bash:

No doubt it will sound better once it had been 'tampered' with in the studio, I'm just keeping everything crossed that the new album lives up to my *impossible* expectations, sigh... :mf_rosetinted:

(Blimey, don't think I've ever used the rose-tinted smiley before!)

OMG! I love that LOLcat!

I don't hear the Elvis bit... but I don't want to ruin him for me... I actually like Elvis now...

I hope the tampering makes it better... but I'm thinking it won't...

I agree with everything you said ....

I also believe your LOLcat is a much better interpretation than mine :roftl::wink2:

Yours is good... but I do like the NOOOO!ness of Blue Eyes' one... if that makes sense...

The poor thing looks like it's about to drop dead!

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! I love that LOLcat!

I don't hear the Elvis bit... but I don't want to ruin him for me... I actually like Elvis now...

I hope the tampering makes it better... but I'm thinking it won't...

Yours is good... but I do like the NOOOO!ness of Blue Eyes' one... if that makes sense...

The poor thing looks like it's about to drop dead!

:lmao: "drop dead" ..... :roftl:

My face was quite like the Shrek expression(but not green of course) as I listened, but my reaction at the first chorus was more like this:

39.jpg

Perhaps it was just because of the "quality" of this particular performance, but the song was just kind of "there". It wasn't bad but it wasn't something phenomenal either... live performance was definitley not up to par...

I know he can do it better of course, but it detracted from my first impression of this song. sorry.

Maybe he couldn't hear himself properly... :confused:

Please excuse my brutal honesty.

:lmao: "drop dead" ..... :roftl:

It does!

My face was quite like the Shrek expression(but not green of course) as I listened, but my reaction at the first chorus was more like this:

39.jpg

Perhaps it was just because of the "quality" of this particular performance, but the song was just kind of "there". It was bad but it wasn't something phenomenal either... live performance was definitley not up to par.... sorry.

DAVID TENNANT!!! :das:

What a hottie... and he's Scottish too... like the very gorgeous Martin :das:...

I do like the song a lot, but even so I agree that the chorus is repetitive and reminds me of HMDYLM.

I love HMDYLM so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but if both songs are on the album I would hope that that would be the end of it... no more songs with that similar style. Even having them both on the album would emphasise how repetitive they both are. In HMDYLM I loved it because it felt like a simple sweet message, but if it becomes a common writing style for him it could get annoying. He's a good songwriter, so I don't want him to be dumbing it down for us.

For some reason this has reminded me that the first time I listened to LICM I didn't like Over My Shoulder AT ALL. I thought it ruined the album for me. It wasn't until I saw the video of him performing it live that I really saw what he was doing with it and began to like it, and also realized how powerful the lyrics were. But even now I have to be in the right mood to listen to it - and I rarely listen to it.

I didn't love all of LICM right off the bat. I guess for me there are some songs I just KNOW that I love right away and won't ever get sick of (for me it was Love Today, Relax and SITM), there are some I warm up to, and some that I end up getting tired of. This one - for me - is somewhere in the middle. I like it a lot right now, but I have a hunch it might be forgettable in the end and won't get as much play on my ipod.

It's nice to see that some people have really connected with the song though! I certainly don't want to take that away from anyone... we all have our favourites.

39.jpg

Perhaps it was just because of the "quality" of this particular performance, but the song was just kind of "there". It was bad but it wasn't something phenomenal either... live performance was definitley not up to par...

I know he can do it better of course, but it detracted from my first impression of this song. sorry.

think I found a cat for you ...

whydudothat.jpg

I agree with everything you said ....

I also believe your LOLcat is a much better interpretation than mine :roftl::wink2:

Thanks Caz :biggrin2:

I love Elvis:mf_rosetinted:

OMG! I love that LOLcat!

Nooo, I didn't mean I don't like Elvis (love his old films) - it's just the same lyrics ... "caught in a trap"

When I'm listening to MIKA I don't want to be thinking about Elvis :roftl::wink2:

though the first time I heard it/saw it it was a bad recording and it sounded like a cat screetching in heat, but I love the mp3.

:lmao:

Everything. If I could take all the little things I dislike about various Mika songs and roll into a big ball - it would come out in this song.

Erase doesn't contain all the components I dislike.

Tough! :naughty: Whatare each of the components you dislike?

Ahem...

*coughitookitoffadiscsomeoneelsehad*

I originally thought it was called She... it's Gave It All Away alright... *shudders cause it's playing*

Where the hell did you get it? I neeeed to hear it! Are you sure it's him?

And I shouldn't say anything about wearing out hte disc... I have worn out the original disc and almost done the burnt copy for my car... good thing I have the Chinese version of it!

Oh, you have a Chinese version do you?

Okay, first, Question: Was it said this is for the new album, or just that it's a new song?

It's funny reading this thread and seeing the massive differences in what people think of songs, some people's very favourites are others' very least favourites. Am I the only one that finds that amazing?

I think it means none of his songs are neccesarily lacking, it's just a case different tastes, kind of like the whole thing like how some people despise and some love Mika.

Anywayyy, I like it. It's not like a hit single you feel like dancing along to and get stuck in your head, but it's kind of more like OMS. But I think it's a beautiful song, with the voice and the music, it just creates a mood or something, I love that. It's a different kind of song to HJ, etc, because it's not about the catchy tune or anything, and I think you'd need to see it live or hear a proper studio recording to be able to appreciate it properly.

I dunno, that's just what I think :bleh:

But the first time I heard it I couldn't understand a word he was saying and was like ":blink:?", but I had the same thing with HMDYLM :rolls_eyes:

haha I just changed my sig :sneaky2::naughty:

Kata you can come and clean the wetty wetty spit off my screen if you keep posting this sort of thing.

This is my interpretation...

Nooocat.jpg

No doubt it will sound better once it had been 'tampered' with in the studio, I'm just keeping everything crossed that the new album lives up to my *impossible* expectations, sigh... :mf_rosetinted:

(Blimey, don't think I've ever used the rose-tinted smiley before!)

Oooo another convert. Next try this one:ap_rosetinted:

think I found a cat for you ...

whydudothat.jpg

WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now I fell off my chair. My kids think MFC has gone crazy, but I said No it's just Kata trying to kill me.:roftl:

Kata you can come and clean the wetty wetty spit off my screen if you keep posting this sort of thing.

WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now I fell off my chair. My kids think MFC has gone crazy, but I said No it's just Kata trying to kill me.:roftl:

just put the screen outside and wait for the wetty wetty rain to fix it :mf_rosetinted:

And I'm not trying to kill anyone, don't blame me for what is happening here :mf_rosetinted:

It's fantastic!!!!

I cannot even listen to anything else at the moment!!!!!!!!!!:blush-anim-cl:

I SIMPLY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ALBUM!!! I' m not really the only one, am I? :naughty:

You've done an amazing job already, Meeks!!! I truly am looking forward to hearing news about your new album :bow::bow::bow:

TOI TOI TOI for Arras!!!:thumb_yello:(off topic I know)!

graham_cringe.jpg

Tough! :naughty: Whatare each of the components you dislike?

I have an extremely tenuous relationship with Mika's falsetto. I can only tolerate it in very small doses with the exception of a couple of songs. HMDYLM because he restrains it so it comes out soft and pretty, unlike the falsetto bits in Love Today that are harsh. Love Today I can also tolerate because the song is fun and energetic and it draws some of that energy from the falsetto even though it's still hard on the ears in places.

The falsetto in Rain is grating and harsh when the song doesn't call for it because it's otherwise a soft ballad. I was having trouble with the video freezing and I was told by a couple of people that once I could see the video properly I would appreciate the song better. But when I finally watched it all the way through it confirmed for me what I was hearing - that the falsetto is too strained. My poor ears feel it and you can see it clearly in Mika's face. It's painful to listen to and it's even more painful to watch.

As others pointed out the rest of the song is entirely forgettable. The lyrics are weak. He was never a strong lyricist to start with, but this and HMDYLM are a regression from much of LICM and it's quite disappointing since Rain doesn't have the redeeming features of HMDYLM that save it from being an entirely bad song. Like others have said, I'm starting to fear now that too much of album could be songs with weak and repetitive lyrics.

Finally the performance here has the cheese factor that really drives me up a wall about some of his ballads, particularly Erase. He does this Broadway showtune thing...I don't even know how to describe it because I'm no technician when it comes to singing. But he adds these extraneous sounds in front of some syllables.

It's a way of fake emoting and I notice a lot of bad singers do it because they are incapable of transititioning smoothly and in pitch from one note to the next. Mika is not incapable of this so he shouldn't do it. It makes him sound like he's trying to disguise limited vocal skills.

I agree that the chorus falsetto is very grating...I put it down to the pitch being slightly off...

I was just listening again to it, thinking, can you imagine living in the house with Mika formulating all his new songs and choruses....having him walk around all day going

RAIN AND RAIN

Will it rain and rain

RAIN AND RAIN

You'd be like

OK time for some sun now Mika, put a sock in it:naughty:

Then he'd start going

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo DOO!!

Christine will be saying....I rest my case....

funny how we either love it or hate it... i personally love it.

of course i think with time, it will get better...

i am curious to see how it will sound in studio versus live in parc au prince.

i think sometimes it's better to hear a song on an album first and then take it on the road and do whatever you want with it after (adjustments and such)