Tomorrow's Big Bang

CazGirl

Hey, who knows about the "Big Bang" Scientists have created?

It's happening in Switzerland I believe, underground.

The experiment is happening TOMORROW (10th Sept 08) and if it goes wrong, the world will get sucked into the black hole.

However, if it goes correctly, the UK's newspaper THE SUN claims that the planet may have benefits.

But still, the end of the world could possibly happen tomorrow.

That's kinda scary right? Who thinks it will go right/wrong?

Heck, should experiments like these that could endanger intelligent life and our planet even go ahead?

What are your thoughts?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1666267.ece

Scientists are attempting to re-create conditions in the first billionths of a second after the Big Bang start of the universe.

Some experts fear it could create a huge black hole that swallows the planet and wipes out mankind.

But the boffins behind Wednesday’s landmark experiment insist the £4.4billion project — known as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) or “Big Bang machine” — is completely safe and could lead to countless lives being SAVED.

The benefits, they say, could include the eventual discovery of a cure for cancer and solutions to nuclear waste and global warming.

In the test — taking place 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border — atomic particles will be fired in opposite directions along a 17-mile tunnel at mind-boggling speeds.

The collisions of the particles will recreate the conditions seen when the universe came into existence 14billion years ago.

The LHC will be fired up by Dr Lyn Evans, 63, from South Wales — one of the experiment’s creators at the European Nuclear Research Centre, known as CERN after its French initials.

CERN say the aim of the test is to unlock the secrets of matter that forms everything known in the universe. And there could be more immediate practical benefits.

Researcher Paul Collier said: “Everyone is looking at the start-up of the LHC, but CERN has many other research programmes with important practical uses.”

These include the development of a form of radiation therapy that could help wipe out cancer.

Existing radiation therapy damages healthy tissue as well as destroying cancer cells, greatly reducing chances of survival.

But this problem could be solved by a spin-off development from the Big Bang experiment.

Researchers say future particle beams could pass through healthy tissue without damaging it while destroying the cancer.

These charged particles would include protons, carbon ions and, crucially, anti-matter.

At the moment this is impossible because anti-matter does not exist naturally.

But it can be made using the accelerator CERN has created to generate protons to send hurtling through the LHC tunnel.

Another potential benefit of the accelerator is a method to make nuclear waste harmless.

CERN researchers believe firing beams of protons at lumps of lead will release neutrons that could be used to neutralise the radiation.

The technique is being studied by the nuclear waste industry.

A third spin-off could lead to a solution to global warming.

Part of the climate change problem is no one is entirely sure what causes it. But research is under way in CERN laboratories to create clouds using simulated cosmic rays made from proton beams.

If successful it would suggest solar activity is a leading cause of global warming, perhaps more so than greenhouse gases.

Professor Bob Bingham of Oxfordshire’s Rutherford Appleton Lab, which is involved in the project, explains: “If the beams cause cloud formation, it will suggest a link between cosmic rays and climate, which has interesting implications.”

Climate change could then be halted, and possibly even reversed, by finding a way to block or deflect the sun’s rays.

The Big Bang experiment could also help revolutionise the world of technology.

The tunnel collision is expected to produce enough data in a year to fill 56MILLION CDs.

To cope, scientists have created The Grid, an ultra-sophisticated computer system designed to handle vast volumes of data at high speed.

It is believed The Grid will become the model for future generations of advanced home computers.

Previous CERN research has led to huge developments in physics.

The discovery of neutral currents in the Gargamelle bubble chamber in 1973, and of W and Z bosons in 1983, will not mean anything to most of us, but they were huge steps forward for science.

But these developments are nothing compared to what may be to come.

The Big Bang tunnel is by far and away the most powerful piece of scientific equipment in the world.

Located under the Swiss Alps, it has taken 54 YEARS to build, with funding from 20 European countries including Britain.

CONSUME

CERN believes Wednesday’s experiment will create mini black holes that vanish almost immediately.

But no one is entirely sure what will happen. Critics have accused CERN of playing God.

As The Sun reported, they think the atom-smashing collision — in what they have dubbed the Doomsday test — will create a black hole, or quasar, that will consume the Earth and whole solar system in a matter of days or even hours.

A group of US scientists is even trying to serve a restraining order on CERN.

German chemist Otto Rossler has filed a complaint with the European Court Of Human Rights — although he thinks the test will take a little longer to kill us.

He claimed: “Nothing will happen for at least four years. Then someone will spot a light-ray coming out of the Indian Ocean.

“A few weeks later we will see a stream of particles coming out of the soil on the other side of the planet. Then we will know there is a little quasar inside the planet.

“The weather will change completely, wiping out life. There will be a Biblical Armageddon.”

The man with the finger on the button, Dr Evans — dubbed Evans the Atom — says Rossler is “crazy”.

He said: “We have shown him where his elementary errors are, but people like that just won’t listen. There are thousands of scientists around the world who have been preparing this machine and they know what they are talking about, unlike these other guys.”

CERN has 2,500 full-time scientists working on the Big Bang test and associated projects, with input from a further 8,000 scientists and engineers at universities worldwide.

It also commissioned a report by independent scientists five years ago that ruled the project was safe.

Tom Feilden, a science expert on BBC Radio 4’s Today show, agrees.

He said: “Don’t panic. The world is not going to end on Wednesday.

“The Collider almost certainly WILL produce microscopic black holes, perhaps at a rate as high as one every second.

“But these will be so small and unstable that they will vanish as quickly as they form.”

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I dunno...I have two friends who studied physics, and they told me about this experiment about a month ago, and when I asked about the black hole thing, they explained to me that the black hole that may be formed in this experiment is absolutely minute, so there's no way it can have any effect on the world.............

phew! :naughty::thumb_yello:

i read this news few days ago..but in my opinion we are not in danger..i mean,the major part of the physics assure us there won't be problems..so...why should we get worried?i think the experiment will go well,and we'll get benefits from this experiment:wink2:

Hmmm...I dunno...I have two friends who studied physics, and they told me about this experiment about a month ago, and when I asked about the black hole thing, they explained to me that the black hole that may be formed in this experiment is absolutely minute, so there's no way it can have any effect on the world.............

phew! :naughty::thumb_yello:

yeah, according to the article i've just posted, they say black holes will form but will disappear as quickly as they appear (i.e. not very long at all) but still. Though they claim it's safe, it can still go horribly wrong.

I know the creation of the Universe is a huge mystery, but I don't think EVERYTHING needs to be uncovered. Some things, I believe, are better left undiscovered. Leave it alone, who cares how we got here? The fact is we are here and we should be grateful for that, and we should just live our lives as we choose! I think so, anyway...it's unneccessary meddling!

Ow, is it tomorrow? :blink:

I thought it was in 2012 .. that would be another thing then .. :roftl:

I don't want to .. I just graduated today .. I can't have it that the world ends tomorrow :blink::tears:

Or something like that.. :bleh:

I don't want to .. I just graduated today .. I can't have it that the world ends tomorrow :blink::tears:

congratulations on your graduation!

The Olympics is happening in 2012 lol :naughty:

congrats:thumb_yello::wink2:

congratulations on your graduation!

congrats:thumb_yello::wink2

I've struggled 5 years for it .. a lot of blood, sweat and tears (litterally :bleh:) .. so now I have it I just want to go on living.. :bleh:

The Olympics is happening in 2012 lol :naughty

Yeah.. ok .. :bleh:

But there was something else .. or maybe it was only here and will only happen in Belgium/The Netherlands :blink::roftl:

to post...or not to post... oh well.. i;ll post my idea about this :bleh:

i just think these whole ideas about the black hole and the end of the world or anything that's going around it's just silly...

everything is going to be normal.... experiments like these have been made before only that this is happening on a larger scale

well anyway...:) here's another topic :roftl:my science teacher keeps telling us that the cardinal poles are changing in 2012 and we're either going to die, live very badly or pass into another dimension...(well yeah...see what i have to go trough every week?...and then they ask me why i hate school :naughty:)

hmmm maybe you were thinking about this bienie? :D

well anyway...:) here's another topic :roftl:my science teacher keeps telling us that the cardinal poles are changing in 2012 and we're either going to die, live very badly or pass into another dimension...(well yeah...see what i have to go trough every week?...and then they ask me why i hate school :naughty:)

:thumb_yello: That's what's going to happen!! :roftl:

Well, anyway .. we'll see .. have to go now .. will be back later today .. I suppose (or hope?) the world will not end while I'm gone .. :mf_rosetinted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :roftl:

SHREK 5 IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!

....What about Mika's 2nd album? :blink: Poor Mika....beaten by a computerised ogre....:tears:

:shocked: hey but mika's album is coming before 2012 :boxed:.....right?

:shocked: hey but mika's album is coming before 2012 :boxed:.....right?

Well yeah, but what if we all DIE TOMORROW? :shocked:

I know a perfect song...

Shock, shock me!

Shock, shock me!

Shock, shock!

I said everybody's gonna DIE today,

gonna DIE today, gonna DIE today!

Everybody's gonna DIE today! Gonna DIE today!

Anyway you want to, any way you've got to,

DIE WITH ME, DIE WITH ME, DIE DIE!

Ha.

Well yeah, but what if we all DIE TOMORROW? :shocked:

I know a perfect song...

Shock, shock me!

Shock, shock me!

Shock, shock!

I said everybody's gonna DIE today,

gonna DIE today, gonna DIE today!

Everybody's gonna DIE today! Gonna DIE today!

Anyway you want to, any way you've got to,

DIE WITH ME, DIE WITH ME, DIE DIE!

Ha.

:lmfao:

we're not dieing tomorrow simply because i haven't met mika and i haven't listened to his 2nd album neither got his 2nd dvd :wink2: (and i'm not the only one...so it's impossible that so many people have such a cruel death :roftl:)

NOOOOOOOOOOO the world CAN'T end tomorrow!:shocked: what will i do, my life is so unfulfilled! hell i've never even met our lovely curly haired Mr Mika yet!!!:wub2: noooooooo the world cannot end so soon, i will bloody well complain if it does :naughty: nooooooooooooooooooooooo no no not true surely?!?!?! L2a Ruby xxx :-D

Kudos on your graduation! :thumb_yello:

I've seen somewhere (the news on TV) that in March 2014 an asteroid will come near the earth and might fall inside. It was aired once, but nobody talked about it again :rolls_eyes: And I'm not crazy, they said that on TV...

I'd be 27 in 2014, at least I have enough time to graduate!