Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

I'm re-watching the documentary part right now, and I like when he's describing LICM saying its vision is this like Alice in Wonderland, childlike, approachable thing and blah blah blah. I liked finally getting to hear him talk about LICM without promoting it in the present. The way he talked about it here, it almost felt like LICM was being referred to as his "first album," instead of his album right now. So it's nice to see there's a transition coming from his own descriptions. I always felt that LICM is great on an introductory stance and it worked geniusly as an accumulation of his last 22 years growing up. But on this bit from the DVD he definitely described it differently (allliteration! :P ) than he ever did in interviews, so something new must be on the way! It's like he's completed and fulfiled all the ideas he had with LICM, and that how he spoke of it on the DVD... "This was the concept of my first album." At least, that's the vibe I'm getting!

Interesting!

Thank you for this.:thumb_yello:

I'm going to watch it again and this time I'll turn on the English subtitles.

He is also talking about something that sounds like making this show has something to do with him not releasing next album until 2009 but I didn't get that part...:blush-anim-cl::naughty:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting!

Thank you for this.:thumb_yello:

I'm going to watch it again and this time I'll turn on the English subtitles.

He is also talking about something that sounds like making this show has something to do with him not releasing next album until 2009 but I didn't get that part...:blush-anim-cl::naughty:

yeah he said he has to do something...quick and right so he won't postpone his album until 2009.... :sneaky2:

so mr. meek didn't do a very good job with whatever it was...(i forgot:blush-anim-cl:)

yeah he said he has to do something...quick and right so he won't postpone his album until 2009.... :sneaky2:

so mr. meek didn't do a very good job with whatever it was...(i forgot:blush-anim-cl:)

No he was basically saying that the conceptual changes from LICM to what he was doing with PDP would allow him to hold off releasing the album until 2009. In other words he could convince people he was doing something different without having to produce an album when he wasn't ready.

I'm re-watching the documentary part right now, and I like when he's describing LICM saying its vision is this like Alice in Wonderland, childlike, approachable thing and blah blah blah. I liked finally getting to hear him talk about LICM without promoting it in the present. The way he talked about it here, it almost felt like LICM was being referred to as his "first album," instead of his album right now. So it's nice to see there's a transition coming from his own descriptions. I always felt that LICM is great on an introductory stance and it worked geniusly as an accumulation of his last 22 years growing up. But on this bit from the DVD he definitely described it differently (allliteration! :P ) than he ever did in interviews, so something new must be on the way! It's like he's completed and fulfiled all the ideas he had with LICM, and that how he spoke of it on the DVD... "This was the concept of my first album." At least, that's the vibe I'm getting!

Yes it felt like that to me too. He says he's basically come up with a new concept for his shows, which will be a big step up from what he did before. I also liked the way he talked about LICM. I DO think his new album will be more of a coming-of-age album, while LICM was his growing up album.

I also think it's very healthy if his music matures over time, because, although we might not like to think about this... He is getting older like we all do, and when he gets in his thirties he won't be able to continue if his music doesn't reflect his maturity. I actually think that the reason Take That have become so phenominal since they got back together, is because their music has matured the way they have. They sing more power ballads now, than they did before. Mika will surely be wise enough to do a similar thing with his music eventually

I actually think that the reason Take That have become so phenominal since they got back together, is because their music has matured the way they have. They sing more power ballads now, than they did before. Mika will surely be wise enough to do a similar thing with his music eventually

I like to imagine Mika taking the Beatles' path rather than Take That. A bit ambitious perhaps, but I hope so. :naughty:

No he was basically saying that the conceptual changes from LICM to what he was doing with PDP would allow him to hold off releasing the album until 2009. In other words he could convince people he was doing something different without having to produce an album when he wasn't ready.

Thanks.

That is what I thought he said but I wasn't sure!:thumb_yello:

I like to imagine Mika taking the Beatles' path rather than Take That. A bit ambitious perhaps, but I hope so. :naughty:

I don't know so much about Take That, but I when someone makes some kind of comparision between Mika and the Beatles I always agree, two big things in the world of music!:wub2::wink2:

I agree with Sienna- that's interesting

Yes it felt like that to me too. He says he's basically come up with a new concept for his shows, which will be a big step up from what he did before. I also liked the way he talked about LICM. I DO think his new album will be more of a coming-of-age album, while LICM was his growing up album.

I also think it's very healthy if his music matures over time, because, although we might not like to think about this... He is getting older like we all do, and when he gets in his thirties he won't be able to continue if his music doesn't reflect his maturity. I actually think that the reason Take That have become so phenominal since they got back together, is because their music has matured the way they have. They sing more power ballads now, than they did before. Mika will surely be wise enough to do a similar thing with his music eventually

I must admit, I hope he doesn't. I like loud music you can dance to rather than power balads

I'msorrybutIdon'tunderstandwhyeverybodylikestheBeatlessomuchpleasedon'tshootme!

*Tries to think of a mature artist she likes* Um, maybe like U2, in that the lyrics are a more powerful commentary on real life. It's something he's said he's trying for, and should naturally improve if he doesn't change direction. In fact he said the new songs were becoming more "empowering" because of the credit crunch. Unfortunately, I always associate "empowering" with Girl Power and the Spice Girls

Edited by Soaring Simpson

:doh: thanks!

and sorry for misunderstanding :blush-anim-cl::bleh:

I'msorrybutIdon'tunderstandwhyeverybodylikestheBeatlessomuchpleasedon'tshootme!

*Tries to think of a mature artist she likes* Um, maybe like U2, in that the lyrics are a more powerful commentary on real life.

I wasn't trying to compare Mika to an artist that I like, just an artist I find him more comparable to than Take That. I am also a U2 fan but Mika is nothing like U2 past or present and I would be very surprised (and perhaps even disappointed) if he became like them.

Billy Brown sounds like a lost Beatles track to me. Not some blatant rip off like Oasis but the real deal in the same way Amy Winehouse sounds like an actual 70s soul singer and not just some second rate wannabe. Mika has the same talent for throwing together a great melody and slightly odd topics and tossing in some violins and trombones while he's at it.

Whether you like the Beatles or not there's no denying it was a long road from She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah to Let It Be. And I really hope in a few years time we will be hearing a lot less Rain Rain Rain. :naughty:

I wasn't trying to compare Mika to an artist that I am also a U2 fan but Mika is nothing like U2 past or present and I would be very surprised (and perhaps even disappointed) if he became like them.

I was talking about U2's substantial lyrical development- obviously (I thought) their musical and personal styles are different from Mika's. But many of U2's earlier lyrics were either inane or incomprehensible- or both- and they improved massively. There's plenty of room for Mika's lyrics to develop- and IMO they need to.

No I wasn't actually meaning he should be LIKE Take That, I was just using them as an example, because they have matured in their image and their music since they got back together. But Mika's music can mature and yet still be his own original kind of work. But I'm sorry if people misunderstood and think I want him to be another Take That, I certainly DON'T. I prefer The Killers to Take that anyway.

Not that this matters at all, or anything, but just to add my won opinion as usual :bleh: : I don't like The Beatles much either. I quite liked John Lennon, but I find Mc Cartney TOTALLY overrated and not much to listen to.

I actually watched one of his recent concerts on tv the other day, and I stopped after 3 songs because I found that it wasn't doing anything for me. I don't think that he's got a nice voice, the songs leave me cold, and I just don't enjoy him at all :naughty::thumb_yello:

Not that this matters at all, or anything, but just to add my won opinion as usual :bleh: : I don't like The Beatles much either. I quite liked John Lennon, but I find Mc Cartney TOTALLY overrated and not much to listen to.

I actually watched one of his recent concerts on tv the other day, and I stopped after 3 songs because I found that it wasn't doing anything for me. I don't think that he's got a nice voice, the songs leave me cold, and I just don't enjoy him at all :naughty::thumb_yello:

I can fully understand that, I can't listen to him either.:blink:

I’m not going to do some kind of big “speak of defence” about the Beatles, but Paul McCartney without his three other mates is absolutely nothing worth comparing to, what once upon a time was a fresh new group of talented musicians who wrote music history!:wub2:

I repeat, Paul McCartney with Wings or whatever, has, imo, nothing to do with the former Beatles!:bleh:

I’m not going to do some kind of big “speak of defence” about the Beatles, but Paul McCartney without his three other mates is absolutely nothing worth comparing to, what once upon a time was a fresh new group of talented musicians who wrote music history!:wub2:

I repeat, Paul McCartney with Wings or whatever, has, imo, nothing to do with the former Beatles!:bleh:

I agree with you on that. (And I'm more of a Lennon fan than Mc but like him still)

When the four of them were together something amazing happened. Whether people like the music or not, you can't deny they changed music history with their 3 chord jingles.

I agree with you on that. (And I'm more of a Lennon fan than Mc but like him still)

When the four of them were together something amazing happened. Whether people like the music or not, you can't deny they changed music history with their 3 chord jingles.

Hmmmm....that is an interesting pov...I may give the boys a fresh look then, who knows.

I'm sure that I will never be a fan, but I may like them a bit more than up to now :naughty:

Hmmmm....that is an interesting pov...I may give the boys a fresh look then, who knows.

I'm sure that I will never be a fan, but I may like them a bit more than up to now :naughty:

Maybe you have to be a child to really appriciate them?:roftl:

I think I got their music intravenous, or together with the mother's milk!:naughty:

Oh they did!

I use to think that the world of pop music wouldn't have been what it is today without their influence.

And one of the reasons some of us are so keen on comparing, or at least mention Mika and his music in the same sentence (is that the word?) as The Beatles is in the desire that his music will have the same kind of power in the future. Because we love it so much and are seeing similarities in the impact it has on us.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking?:wink2:

Oh, good luck! This will be interesting. :roftl: Maybe go for a 'best of' album. Or perhaps search for some cover versions. Hearing another artist cover a song can change your opinion of the song itself.

Maybe you have to be a child to really appriciate them?:roftl:

I think I got their music intravenous, or together with the mother's milk!:naughty:

:roftl: I think you're right because I was the same actually. My parents had alot of Beatles 45's. And I listened to them alot. (Still have them) But on drives we often listened to John Lennon's Rock n Roll album so that's why I love him more. Now I know what I feel like listening to. :naughty:

Oh they did!

I use to think that the world of pop music wouldn't have been what it is today without their influence.

And one of the reasons some of us are so keen on comparing, or at least mention Mika and his music in the same sentence (is that the word?) as The Beatles is in the desire that his music will have the same kind of power in the future. Because we love it so much and are seeing similarities in the impact it has on us.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking?:wink2:

Yeah, I vaguely remember seeing a doco that said there were a few bands doing something similar to them when they were first discovered, but they just did it better. And then everyone imitated. Mika definitely has the potential. And I can see other artists imitating him which is a sign that he's making a mark (just like The Beatles had: The Monkees, Easybeats, Hermans Hermits).

Oh, I can compare Mika and the Beatles. There's similarity in the storywriting style. Can you imagine Mika dressing up and singing "I am the Walrus"? I can. :naughty:

Edited by Kelzy

So I gave the DVD to my friend for Christmas. She really enjoyed it, but she said her cats were unhappy with it. I asked the whole thing or one song in particular? She said, well a few songs, but especially Rain. One cat's ears flared back and another came running from another room.

lololol :naughty: