Secret LA Gig - April 15 2009

guylainem123

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it seems to me, that His chewing of a gum was a certain protection. As if He was the detached onlooker. And still it emphasized informality of conditions. Was not MIKA, but Mica... In fact you do not get out a gum from a mouth at conversation with friends.

I agree that his chewing is a form of protection..it does calm the nerves, but only the nerves of the person chewing!! For people who have to look at it and hear it, it's horrible :thumbdown: I find it incredibly annoying to even talk to a friend if they are chewing like that. I just think it is really bad manners.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it makes me want to walk away from that person, however much I like them. It annoys me THAT much. It's my #1 pet peeve in the whole world. I'd go as far as to say it is a phobia I have.

Ok, that's my rant for the day! :naughty:

And it seems to me, that His chewing of a gum was a certain protection. As if He was the detached onlooker. And still it emphasized informality of conditions. Was not MIKA, but Mica... In fact you do not get out a gum from a mouth at conversation with friends.

interesting analysis :thumb_yello:

I agree that his chewing is a form of protection..it does calm the nerves, but only the nerves of the person chewing!! For people who have to look at it and hear it, it's horrible :thumbdown: I find it incredibly annoying to even talk to a friend if they are chewing like that. I just think it is really bad manners.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it makes me want to walk away from that person, however much I like them. It annoys me THAT much. It's my #1 pet peeve in the whole world. I'd go as far as to say it is a phobia I have.

Ok, that's my rant for the day! :naughty:

I get a lot of complaints at the moment because I'm chewing gum :badmood: Funny enough it's from the same people who were constantly whining when I was smoking - even though I always went outside and such...now do I have to go outside to chew gum as well? I frankly think that is pushing it a bit :boxed:

Erm guys, don't you think he was just chewing gum, like, because he likes to? I always chew gum, even when there's no reason :naughty:

he should have still taken it out of his mouth when talking

Edited by suzie

So would I. I mean c'mon, free ice cream! Why would you say no to that?

I would!

It's not the proper Italian style ice-cream but some fattening rubbish full of preservatives... :puke:

I'd rather it his autograph :naughty:

I actually imagined him serving proper ice-cream (scoops):cool:

:naughty:

Edited by suzie

Erm guys, don't you think he was just chewing gum, like, because he likes to? I always chew gum, even when there's no reason :naughty:

I chew gum too!! I don't hate it per se, but I think you should be discreet and keep your mouth closed. That's just good manners! :naughty:

Oh never mind :roftl:

I would!

It's not the proper Italian style ice-cream but some fattening rubbish full of preservatives... :puke:

Yummmm fattening rubbish and preservatives :licks_lips:

I would!

He'd be scooping all day and night:roftl:

I finally managed to read through all 50 pages. :biggrin2:

Thanks for all the reports, pics and vids! They're amazing and I can live vicariously through them. ^^

I'm a bit rusty on my time differences, but I'm guessing it's not quite queuing time in LA yet.

I'll be looking forward to the pics and the reports of the gig. (If I can get my internet connection -or rather, my neighbour's wireless connection... :fisch:- to work that is.)

Mika on Polistar.com yesterday http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/04/14/660988.aspx

Mika Moonlights

Posted on Tuesday April 14, 2009 at 03:30 PM Add |

U.K. popster Mika has announced a free show in Los Angeles tomorrow (April 15) to mark the completion of his sophomore release and will personally give away tickets – from an ice cream truck.

Mika and blogger Perez Hilton will be passing out wristbands for the event (along with ice cream cones) beginning tonight at 6 p.m. PST at Beverly Gardens Park in Beverly Hills.

Details on the location and time of the Wednesday night show will also be available at the park, which is located at the corner of Rodeo Dr. and Santa Monica Blvd.

Mika’s debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion, was the fifth best-selling album worldwide in 2007.

Mika on Polistar.com yesterday http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/04/14/660988.aspx

Mika Moonlights

Posted on Tuesday April 14, 2009 at 03:30 PM Add |

U.K. popster Mika has announced a free show in Los Angeles tomorrow (April 15) to mark the completion of his sophomore release and will personally give away tickets – from an ice cream truck.

Mika and blogger Perez Hilton will be passing out wristbands for the event (along with ice cream cones) beginning tonight at 6 p.m. PST at Beverly Gardens Park in Beverly Hills.

Details on the location and time of the Wednesday night show will also be available at the park, which is located at the corner of Rodeo Dr. and Santa Monica Blvd.

Mika’s debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion, was the fifth best-selling album worldwide in 2007.

thanks to you, too! :wink2::thumb_yello:

What a day! :shocked

So Andrew (StandardToaster) and I rented a car this morning, and drove to the hotel where Christine and Zoots14 are staying. We picked them up, had brunch, did a little shopping, and introduced Zoots to the beauty that is Santa Monica State Beach.

Then, we were off to find MIKA!

We got to the park around 4 o'clock. There were about 10 people there, relatively pleasant people who showed us a sign they'd made for Mika. We then went wandering a few blocks up Rodeo Drive to find a toilet, and by the time we got back the line had grown to about 25 or so people.

Us MFCers were standing around in front of the ice cream truck, when this random blond chick comes up and snarkily tells us to get away from the truck because she wants it to be organized. She started going on and on to me about how if we don't move people will mob Mika, and was looking right and me while saying it. Her confrontational attitude kind of caught me off guard, so when she started on some line about how we'll still get tickets if we move away from the truck, I blurted out "oh, we're not worried about getting tickets, we're on a list." :roftl

It likely came out more elitist-sounding than I meant it to. And frankly, I don't like to send off those "Oh, I'm MFC, I'm better than the average fan" kinid of vibes. But this chick had one hell of a tone in her voice, and more than that, she was confusing me. Both Christine and I asked her if there was any sort of system in place, any kind of organized line up, and she just kept barking at us her mantra about moving. :blink:

So anyway shortly after that we spotted some people from Mika's management, including the gal who had been in contact with dcdeb and StandardToaster about making sure MFC got wristbands. She told us just to stand to the side, away from the main queue, and she'd ensure we got our bands.

So we did just that, standing off to the side behind the main line up while more and more people arrived and the line grew until it was snaking around the park. You can see this in the pic Mika posted on Mikasounds...we're just kind of milling about in a group while the line grows.

Not long after this we saw Andy arrive, and we waved to him. Yasmine was also there, looking like she'd just stepped out of the pages of a magazine. That girl is freaking stunning. Must have good genes or something. :naughty:

Just before 6pm chicky from Mika's management came, grabbed us, and told us we were going to go first to get our wristbands and, yes, free ice cream.

See, here's where things didn't go quite as smoothly as we'd hoped. The first, oh, 35 or so people in line got their wristbands from Mika's managment people, then got ice cream from Random Ice Cream Man. About 15 minutes into the whole thing Mika and Perez arrived, and thus everyone further down the line got their ice cream from those two.

So I'm thinking that Mika's managment wanted to ensure MFC got our wristbands first, which is hugely awesome of them, and I'm so appreciative of the fact that we got our bands first. But I don't see why they needed to start the process of handing out ice cream and wristbands at all until Mika and Perez had arrived. If they'd just waited another 15 minutes, everyone in line (well, apart from those at the end who were cut off) would have gotten their wristband, then had a few seconds to talk to Mika.

But the way it worked out, the most eager people - as in, us MFCers and the other non-MFC fans who were among the first in line - ended up being the ONLY fans who didn't get any face time with Mika, who apart from giving out ice cream was also doing pics and autographs. I even felt bad for the snotty chick who basically told us off at the beginning because, while she'd been snappy with us, she had indeed been waiting there early, and I don't think she got her ice cream from Mika, either. And again, while I'm grateful to have my shiny gold wristband, it's unfortunate that the first 15 minutes of people essentially got shafted in that regard. :tears:

That aside, though, Mika looked freaking amazing, as you can see from those pics. After we'd gotten our wristbands we moved back onto the grassy area to watch the scene. At one point, someone - Chrstine, maybe? Said, "there's Ella." That's when we saw Greg Wells walking the beautiful Ella through the park.

See, Mika was in an ice cream truck ten feet away from me, but when I saw Greg and Ella, my stomach started turning in knots. *blush* I heart them.

They walked by, but a few minutes later Greg was back, so I walked over to him. Ella is a seriously gorgeous dog! Her coat was all shiny, so I'm thinking she'd likely had a bath recently. There were about five of us at that point, and Greg laughed and said "wow, she's the most famous dog around!" I reminded him that most dogs do not, in fact, have their own Twitter stream, and he had to agree.

We also spotted John, who was really sweet to us. He was standing back and watching the scene from a distance, so he was able to talk to us for a few. He was telling us that working with Mika has resulted in "a lot of firsts" for him, this when I asked how many times he'd stood in a park while one of his artists hung out of an ice cream truck handing out ice cream and gig wristbands. Hehe.

He also said he's particularly excited about two songs from the new album, but I didn't want to push my luck and ask for titles. He did suggest, however, that we're likely to hear these songs at the gig. Ayyiiiee! I asked him how long he'd been working in the biz, and he laughed and asked me how old I am. I told him, 24, and he said he's been doing this longer than I've been alive. :roftl:

I'm thinking it would be seriously cool to live a month in John's life. Touring with artists, making things happen, keeping things organized, hitting the ground running, all that stuff.

Anyhow things were winding down, and some guys came buy with pro-looking camera equipment. I'm not sure where they were from, but when they started interviewing Mika they - and he - did so in French. I'd never heard Mika speak French in person before, so even though he wasn't speaking to me directly, it was cool to hear. Ouais! :wub2:

So Mika and Perez crawled out of the ice cream truck, and started walking back across the park. He stood in the middle of the mob for about two minutes, before he started toward his car. He jogged for the first, oh, five steps, but relaxed to a walking pace when it became clear that not many fans were actually going to follow him. It was all relatively low-key, some screamers, some hyper fangurls, but no crazy mob scene.

So now - onto tomorrow! The gig is at the Roxy on Sunset, a 500-ish (!) person venue that Mika actually did a showcase at waaay back in January 2007. In addition to our wristbands we got little flyers, telling us that our wristbands don't guarantee that we will FOR SURE get into the venue; if enough people arrive early and they reach capacity, even people with wristbands could be turned away. So, tomorrow will be a day of queuing in West Hollywood.

Stay tuned, ladies and gents! The Mika rollercoaster is back!

Wow that's great to hear Mana!:wub2: I'm really sorry you didn't get to talk to him or Perez, but maybe you do tonight!

Can't wait to get everything about the gig! Though I won't stay up:naughty:

I chew gum too!! I don't hate it per se, but I think you should be discreet and keep your mouth closed. That's just good manners! :naughty:

Oh never mind :roftl:

Yeah, true, my father's always telling me "close your mouth" but it IS closed! lol

Yummmm fattening rubbish and preservatives :licks_lips:

Lol this word preservatives, it's funny, cause in French it kind of doesn't mean the same thing :naughty:

Do you think they started queuing outside the "official queue"? (sorry, I didn't know how to express that :blush-anim-cl:)