TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

uhmm my whole view of this song is that there once was a kid who had a doll, the mother thought her baby was too big to play with rag dolls, the child grew up and abandoned the doll.

why can't we just leave it like that? :tears:

it's way too dark if we get another idea of it.

actually i didn't sleep last night because i was struggling to understand the song and to find the meaning...so i just decided to keep that one and stop complicating things :roftl:

:lmao:

I'm sorry you made me laugh with this comment, although I doubt it was your intention...:naughty:

sorry ruxi.. you made me laugh, too :roftl:

agree.. better not analyze it too much..... its already sad enough :naughty:

although its also amusing ... the clothes don't even match .. this verse is irresistible :roftl:

ow...that one scares me now.

when i was little i enjoyed it :blink: i remember i was laughing.

i got to go. i'll be back later :bye:

Thank you:thumb_yello:

I found it in the meantime... I am sure I saw this film... but I might be mixing it up with another film from a bit earlier ...

I think the child of that woman died in the film and the whole film was even more spooky....

Ok, it WAS Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby in NY.. It seems I have mixed up this film with Chucky - (both horror movies but this one from Polanski seems to be stronger as I clearly remember both the actress and the city even though I can't have been more than 10 when I saw it )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFB8TYG8Vx8

"Originally Posted by lovempls View Post

Please correct these if they're wrong, thanks!

- I have (in red) from others' suggestions in the gig thread.

-----------------------------------

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold and the smartest styles smallest size

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry"

This phrase seems out of place to me - does anyone else think he may have forgotten the words and improvised ? :blink:

Same could be true for other songs too - we may have to re-visit these lyric threads after every concert, just to be sure :bleh:

Ok, it WAS Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby in NY.. It seems I have mixed up this film with Chucky - (both horror movies but this one from Polanski seems to be stronger as I clearly remember both the actress and the city even though I can't have been more than 10 when I saw it )

Oh that one! I've always wanted to see that one... I've heard so much of it but they never air it over here :blink: Guess I'll have to rent it sometime...

OT, I actually wonder what made him decide to write a song from the point of view of a doll in the first place... I really wonder how he comes up with something like that. I mean, was he like staring at one of his toys and started thinking: 'hey you, what goes on in that head of yours?'. Must be cool to just get inspired like that.

"Originally Posted by lovempls View Post

Please correct these if they're wrong, thanks!

- I have (in red) from others' suggestions in the gig thread.

-----------------------------------

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold and the smartest styles smallest size

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry"

:confused:

sounds like a typical Mika phrase for me:

"I try to make commands but instead I make a mess of things for me"

remember? :cool:

sorry ruxi.. you made me laugh, too :roftl:

agree.. better not analyze it too much..... its already sad enough :naughty:

although its also amusing ... the clothes don't even match .. this verse is irresistible :roftl:

nah don't worry :lol3:

i love that verse too

and the "come a little closer i'm going to pull your hair" one i don't know why but for me it has an amazing impact. i just see a little hand gently grabbing some hair threads....well maybe i'm just weird :bleh:

the soundtrack is making me shiver... i guess the film is quite scary too.

OT, I actually wonder what made him decide to write a song from the point of view of a doll in the first place... I really wonder how he comes up with something like that. I mean, was he like staring at one of his toys and started thinking: 'hey you, what goes on in that head of yours?'. Must be cool to just get inspired like that.

:confused:

I see.. so it's actually him having left his toy boy in Georgia...:poke:

:no:...not nice

someone needs to slap him on the face :das:

"With all the little girls who want to pull your hair "

Does he mean the fangurls with this?:roftl:

MOST DEFINATLEY it's what more than half of them want to do, "ooo I would die just to touch his hair" it's his way of nicely saying naff off I'm NOT your pet OR your toy!! leave my hair alone weirdos lol :naughty:

MOST DEFINATLEY it's what more than half of them want to do, "ooo I would die just to touch his hair" it's his way of nicely saying naff off I'm NOT your pet OR your toy!! leave my hair alone weirdos lol :naughty:

:lmfao: .........

nah don't worry :lol3:

i love that verse too

and the "come a little closer i'm going to pull your hair" one i don't know why but for me it has an amazing impact. i just see a little hand gently grabbing some hair threads....well maybe i'm just weird :bleh:

the soundtrack is making me shiver... i guess the film is quite scary too.

HAHA! I have that too! In my head I had this image of a little Chuckie-like doll that has been abandoned standing there all innocent and then all of a sudden grab your hair.:naughty:

This discussion got me thinking about the Toy Story movies. In the first one, Buz Lightyear doesn't realize he is a toy and thinks he's a real Spaceman who can fly and save the universe etc. He's so disappointed when he realizes that's not true, but in the end he accepts that being someone's toy is the best thing of all.

In the second one, Buz's friend, the cowboy doll Woody has to decide whether to stay with his boy, or become a collector's item in a museum, with generations of children loving him, insted of one child who will soon grow up and cast him off. But in the end he decides to go back to his boy, for the rest of the time they have together.

I think there are elements of Mika's new song in both of those movies.

HAHA! I have that too! In my head I had this image of a little Chuckie-like doll that has been abandoned standing there all innocent and then all of a sudden grab your hair.:naughty:

well my imagination wasn't that dark but hah yours is pretty good :roftl:

This is one of the interpretations I get from these lyrics, but they are waaay deeper, there is so much going on in these words, I LOVE that about it (and I left this one till last to listen to as well cos the title didn't grab me) how wrong was I love it, I also love the jingly child-like reminiscing feel to the music.

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world (this is when he IS the toy)

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure (this is like all those stories of toys in your toy box coming to life in the night and getting up to mischief)

I’ve a heart of gold in a smaller size

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry (he's trying to be a brave little soldier)

More than an illustration

Points of articulation (there's far more to him than what you can see)

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything (he's trying to let us know just how cute he is {the toy})

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

With all the little girls who want to pull your hair (it's hard when fans want a piece of him)

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit (I wonder if he actually HAD a toy like this, it reminds me of a stuffed clown my son had)

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you (he is not just a toy but a boy like his owner, it's all very symbolic)

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long (his mother thinks he needs to grown up and stop playing with toys now)

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl (his mother worries playing with doll type toys is "girly" and effeminate)

You knew that I adored ya

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?(it changes now and he (the toy) finds himself dumped as if he has no feelings and shocked at being used)

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been (I agree about the HAG word used, if it was on purpose it was very clever.)

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin this sounds very symbolic cos it's how you DO stuff and unstuff toys)love it.

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match(he's feeling dirty, used and abused)

So she dressed me up as the man she loved (darker again now, since the hag who could take on a number of forms, is manipulating his appearance and most likely his mind and soul), it could be someone dressing him in a more manly way like a soldier or something to disguise his effeminacy.

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be(this is to show us just how horrid the hag is to him)

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you? (I think it's accidental cos it kinda wasn't' meant to be this way for him and maybe the hag didn't mean to be a hag since he did love her in the beginning)

There is much going on in this one I hope we get to find out the true meaning although it's part of the fun to have our own ideas on it.

Edited by sparkly1

This is one of the interpretations I get from these lyrics, but they are waaay deeper, there is so much going on in these words, I LOVE that about it (and I left this one till last to listen to as well cos the title didn't grab me) how wrong was I love it, I also love the jingly child-like reminiscing feel to the music.

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world (this is when he IS the toy)

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure (this is like all those stories of toys in your toy box coming to life in the night and getting up to mischief)

I’ve a heart of gold in a smaller size

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry (he's trying to be a brave little soldier)

More than an illustration

Points of articulation (there's far more to him than what you can see)

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything (he's trying to let us know just how cute he is {the toy})

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

With all the little girls who want to pull your hair (it's hard when fans want a piece of him)

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit (I wonder if he actually HAD a toy like this, it reminds me of a stuffed clown my son had)

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you (he is not just a toy but a boy like his owner, it's all very symbolic)

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long (his mother thinks he needs to grown up and stop playing with toys now)

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl (his mother worries playing with doll type toys is "girly" and effeminate)

You knew that I adored ya

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?(it changes now and he (the toy) finds himself dumped as if he has no feelings and shocked at being used)

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been (I agree about the HAG word used, if it was on purpose it was very clever.)

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin this sounds very symbolic cos it's how you DO stuff and unstuff toys)love it.

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match(he's feeling dirty, used and abused)

So she dressed me up as the man she loved (darker again now, since the hag who could take on a number of forms, is manipulating his appearance and most likely his mind and soul), it could be someone dressing him in a more manly way like a soldier or something to disguise his effeminacy.

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be(this is to show us just how horrid the hag is to him)

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you? (I think it's accidental cos it kinda wasn't' meant to be this way for him and maybe the hag didn't mean to be a hag since he did love her in the beginning)

There is much going on in this one I hope we get to find out the true meaning although it's part of the fun to have our own ideas on it.

I adore this interpretation. Oh, this song has got me thinking harder than I've ever thought before. :naughty:

I go on holiday for 5 days and I come back to these new songs?!! Bloody hell, I need to catch up - I've missed waaaayy too much.

yes it's rather wonderful, because it's so intriguing and cleverly written.

yes.. very cleverly written... I think your interpretation is basically the literal meaning and funnily most of us automatically thought of secondary meanings as soon as we heard it ....:naughty:

As I said before, the beauty of this song is that it can be interpreted in many ways and the music supports the literal meaning, not the darker / real life side.

But Mika's fans are of different ages and with different life experience, so everyone has their own interpretation ( most likely the meaning they themselves first read into it...)

I don't think I can add anything more to this. It was so great to read first thoughts of everyone though:thumb_yello:

Who's labelling anything as gay? It's a story that, among other things, involves a relationship between two boys. That's not the only thing in there. Are we supposed to ignore it because as soon as we say that there's a gay relationship in a part of a song, that has to make the song "about" gayness?

--Jack

Thanks for your post.

I think it's MEANING is that it's about a mother's dissaproval of her son being gay, or noticing as a child and trying to turn them straight.

A little boy has a male-doll that he loves, his mum thinks he is gay

The story is a metaphor for: The character in the song/Mika (the doll) is a guy, who is dating a guy (the little boy), who's mother disapproves of him being gay and tries to break them up.

I love Toy Boy, and if this is him coming out, I am so glad that he's doing it through his music, I knew he would.

What did you say again?

No, really - I completely agree with what you said - I said exact the same thing yesterday in my discussion with PurpleGrape, Neiobi, etc.

Even if it DOES include some...uh, romantic relationship between two boys moments, the whole song certainly isn't about that and it isn't the primary thing at all.

Maybe it's a song with a double meaning.

Or maybe it's another prostitution song. I mean, heck what do we know? We aren't even sure whether we got the lyrics right or not.

I must say Sparkly's interpretation was certainly very interesting.