TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

the boy shags the toy boy then mom gets angry gives the toy boy to georgia she shags him then the mean hag shags him that goes on like that then Gepetto steps in makes the toy boy a real boy and toy boy shags them all for revenge end of story:mf_rosetinted:

Makes me think of Artificial Intelligence. (movie)

This is constructing on the bit that people have said, "This song isn't necessarily about Mika".

One of the things that makes Mika such a wonderful musician, is that he's not afraid to write about real life. Where other artists stick to reality as a relationship between a man and a woman, a break-up between a man and a woman; Mika explores reality as it actually is.

He'll write about two men in a relationship. He will write about larger ladies. Mika sings about aspects of life where other artists don't dare to.

If or if not these issues are a part of Mika's life doesn't matter. What matters is that he's made a wonderful, interesting song about it and shared it with us!

That's my take on it. :wink2:

When you said fag hag you reminded me of Lily Allen's song :roftl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMVjnsJExLA

Thank you, never heard it before!:thumb_yello:

I know I'm late responding to this but I just read through everything!

Before the term f*ghag appeared, a hag just meant a woman...but it's quite derogatory... like you'd say "that old hag who owns the sweet shop is horrible" or something....it originally didn't have to do with gay guys at all.

Yep, I agree, cos I think in these lines, the toy boy is talking to the boy who owned him, right? And since the boy forgot about the toy so long ago, the toy is wondering how that happened....maybe?

Also, has anyone figured out the second last line yet? I hear something like

"When you're old and sons what you want to be" but I'm trying to figure out words that sound like this but make sense! :naughty:

EDIT: I think the last line is "Tell HIM the story of a boy like me", so the previous line, I think, says something about the owner's son's something...?

Could it be: "when your oldest son's what you want to be"? :blink:

The hag part: Yes you're so right, fag used to be any woman, in a not so nice way, and I love how he use it in this song to emphasise the double meaning.

In the second last line I can definitly hear a "be" in the end!

I'm so thankful that you're trying to figure out what he's singing, it's almost impossible for a not native English spoken person!:thumb_yello:

This is constructing on the bit that people have said, "This song isn't necessarily about Mika".

One of the things that makes Mika such a wonderful musician, is that he's not afraid to write about real life. Where other artists stick to reality as a relationship between a man and a woman, a break-up between a man and a woman; Mika explores reality as it actually is.

He'll write about two men in a relationship. He will write about larger ladies. Mika sings about aspects of life where other artists don't dare to.

If or if not these issues are a part of Mika's life doesn't matter. What matters is that he's made a wonderful, interesting song about it and shared it with us!

Agree!:wub2:

Let's not forget Mika wrote "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) in 15 minutes.

This might be just a story he whipped up in 12 minutes too! Tragic and funny perhaps, and we can make it as deep and complicated as we want.

Edited by Suzy

Let's not forget Mika wrote "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) in 15 minutes.

This might be just a story he whipped up in 12 minutes too! Tragic and funny perhaps, and we can make it as deep and complicated as we want.

exactly:thumb_yello:

that's what i meant with my previous post,no one get it though:naughty:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jagrb5

:fisch:

I don't know if I should be posting it, but a mod can remove the link if it's necessary.

youre pretty mmuch my hero! :P my friend really wanted to listen to it last night, and we were going to sing the lyrics along w/ the video, but it ws downn, and so i sang it how i thought the tune was, then we made it a rap :P

You both made a point in there:

Adding, IMO:

There's a contradition here...

He's "Such a wonderful plaything"

Because he is...

More than an illustration - meaning that he considers himself real not an illusion, besides being a "toy"...

but then he has...

Points of articulation - meaning flexible, like a puppet ( Pinoquio's knees had those nails/pins when he was made of wood, remember the movie???)

who only...

Come to life on a brass spring - needs someone to pull the spring

Or maybe i just listened to it so many times i need medication by now...:mf_rosetinted:

one can NEVER listen to it too many times :naughty:

The hag part: Yes you're so right, fag used to be any woman, in a not so nice way, and I love how he use it in this song to emphasise the double meaning.

In the second last line I can definitly hear a "be" in the end!

I'm so thankful that you're trying to figure out what he's singing, it's almost impossible for a not native English spoken person!:thumb_yello:

Awh :blush-anim-cl: I just watched Sara's vid, and I think I've got the 2nd last line!!:

When your oldest son's wondering what to be

Tell him the story of a boy like me

What do you think?

ha ha! lyrics are already on lyric sites!

http://www.elyricsworld.com/toy_boy_lyrics_mika.html

Oh wow lol

Awh :blush-anim-cl: I just watched Sara's vid, and I think I've got the 2nd last line!!:

What do you think?

I think it can be right, it makes perfect sense to the rest of the verse!:thumb_yello:

What do you think?

Oh wow lol

Could it perhaps be your ONLY son?

Edited by AnnaMariaPetra

Does hag mean witch?

I ask because the dutch word for witch is heks....

No, now it's just a derogatory term for a woman, but I'm pretty sure that was its original meaning...like probably back in Old English..so I guess that's where the connection with Dutch comes in...interesting!

I agree with that and think I said so earlier but in a different way lol. I mean when I was a kid I used to fancy the dark haired guy out of Stingray and thunder bird 1 Scott, and Captain Scarlett phwoar don't get me started on him lmao, so it's yet another twist taht it could take.... that is why I love it and I love Mika's writting cos it really can MEAN whatever EACH and every one of us wants it to. It's far more enjoyable for it to have a so much going on and COULD be going on :thumb_yello:

i hope you don't mind me breaking the flow of 'only son' conversation, but..

gawd, i just love this song *dies*

Ha, doesn't matter! I love the song too:blush-anim-cl: That's why I keep coming back to this thread!

I really love the lyrics (that is in fact my number one reason why I love Mika's music!) and I am really in love with his singing- and storytelling voice in this song. From high to low and back, yummie:mf_lustslow:

Edited by AnnaMariaPetra

oh gawsh, don't get me started on how much i love mika's low voice :wub2: that makes my heart do funny things.

this is why i love toy boy;

it reminds me of lollipop, but with darker lyrics on a better level.

the tune is so beautiful, flutey, trumpety, violiny flirty and carefree.

the lyrics are interesting, full of double meanings, twists,and they're quite dark.

its not made out of enirely low singing but high too

i just love everything about that song :wub2:

I've been following this thread with great interest, and have given in to the impulse to join the fun.

I love the voice Mika shows in this song. For every time I've spent listening for the words, I had another time when I absolutely ignore the words and admire his voice as an instrument.

I am grateful and thankful for the recordings of Mika at a time when he has not been madly touring, and his voice is rested, and he does not have a sore throat or a cold! Quick, let's work out a plan to keep him this healthy forever!

I will seriously make a point that I don’t especially think this is an autobiographical story at all.

It could be a story about anyone who didn’t fit in to the society in an obvious way.

Like in Billy Brown when Mika explicitly says, when he’s asked the question, this is a story of my friend Billy Brown.:

Love Sienna's interpretion. Haven't yet got enough of an opinion myself to comment, except that I like to consider that the lines -

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

-might be about the lack of independence of a wind-up toy, and a grown-up person's opinion that an incompetent boy/toy is likely to stuff up most things he touches. (In the context of Sienna's song notes.)

Another thought - I love what this song (most of Mika's songs) show about him.

It does not matter whether or not they are in any way autobiographical. What matters is that he writes songs expressing an emotion/mood/feeling, and you can't do that unless you understand those emotions and that point of view.

(If they were all autobiographical, that might not be true, but I'm taking his word for Billy Brown and Holy Johnny at least. :roftl:)

What that means to me is that he is a deeply empathic person, and really does receive what other people 'tell' him, and can enter into their feelings. That skill is so rare... He's not just doing the standard 'love and lust and lost', he's seeing the wholeness of people...

Another thought while I am on a roll -

This sort of song, with strong storyline lyrics and amazing melody is strongly reminiscent of the best songs in musicals like Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miserables.

I wonder...

Is he hearkening back to his past, or giving a glimpse of his future - or both?

What that means to me is that he is a deeply empathic person, and really does receive what other people 'tell' him, and can enter into their feelings. That skill is so rare... He's not just doing the standard 'love and lust and lost', he's seeing the wholeness of people...

I agree with you there:wink2: I like the fact that his songs can be about so many different things. Most songs you hear are about relationships/love/wanting but not getting any... And those songs just are what they are, there aren't *insert number here* different interpretations possible.