TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

I strongly agree with you. Mika is a very intelligent song-writer and because he realizes how much ambiguity there has been concerning his sexuality (which obviously he wants to keep private), I think he is more provoked to write even more ambiguous lyrics. On the other hand he once told that one could learn more about him from his songs than from interviews.

Anyway, let's face the truth: do we REALLY want to know everything about him? Even if so, it's not going to happen and this ambiguity, and really really smart playfullness are the things that make him so intriguing!!!

yep totally agree, it's like when I or we get ideas from his songs it's not necessarily a idea about himself or his life or even his views, but more often than not he is telling stories via lyrics, I love it that is why I write "poetry" myself, you can take from life not always your own and create a story, situation, SONG.

Edited by sparkly1

Mika has chosen to keep his private life private. The songs are not some secret message to us about his private life. They are songs. They may be based on him. They may be based on someone else. He may be singing in the narrative voice of the person whose story he is telling. He may be making things up because they amuse him.

I think you're making a good point here!:thumb_yello:

I was just offering the context before I launched into it because it felt like I sort of pulled it out of the blue and just dropped it into the middle of a thread the first time I posted it and didn't want it to feel that way a second time. :blush-anim-cl:

:doh: ok then. I am old you have to explain me things sometimes :naughty:

We're definitely not discussing it there. I believe we are talking about how we can never remember stuff and some of us are more mad than others :naughty:

maybe I will enroll then... In fact, I think I was meant to be listed as 36th or similar number back in 2007 but my name was somehow not put there, and then I just forgot and did not visit... maybe tomorrow.. I should go to sleep now. I am old...:biggrin2:

I will seriously make a point that I don’t especially think this is an autobiographical story at all.

It could be a story about anyone who didn’t fit in to the society in an obvious way.

Like in Billy Brown when Mika explicitly says, when he’s asked the question, this is a story of my friend Billy Brown.

But in my interpretation it’s a story about a gay experience, “sleeping with a boy” “a toy boy”.

Mind my limited nuances in the English and please don’t bite my head off:roftl: this only what I hear in the song, it can be a thousand other ways to listen to it and I think just that is the beauty of it!:wub2:

When you look at him singing this song behind the piano you can see how he's is joking and smiling.

I think it’s a big flirt with the gay community!:naughty:

Sienna, I love our interpretation. It is most definitely the one closest to what exits in my mind but I am not good at expressing it as I am not a writer... :wink2:...you obviously have an eye for this

:thumb_yello:

Sienna, I love our interpretation. It is most definitely the one closest to what exits in my mind but I am not good at expressing it as I am not a writer... :wink2:...you obviously have an eye for this

Thank you suzie!:huglove:

I will seriously make a point that I don’t especially think this is an autobiographical story at all.

It could be a story about anyone who didn’t fit in to the society in an obvious way.

Like in Billy Brown when Mika explicitly says, when he’s asked the question, this is a story of my friend Billy Brown.

But in my interpretation it’s a story about a gay experience, “sleeping with a boy” “a toy boy”.

Mind my limited nuances in the English and please don’t bite my head off:roftl: this only what I hear in the song, it can be a thousand other ways to listen to it and I think just that is the beauty of it!:wub2:

When you look at him singing this song behind the piano you can see how he's is joking and smiling.

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold and the smartest styles

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry

Just setting it, telling the story.

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything

It is wonderful thing for any (mother) to have a little toy boy.

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

-Because I’m gay and not like other little boys

Come a little close I’m going to pull your hair

-But I have learned to protect myself in this matter, just try me!

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you

-We have found each other and are happy so far, hold me and feel that I’m just like you. Two boys feeling comfort!

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl

Now mama had to break in, this is not acceptable, you are better of with a girl.

-But in my world girls are not the subject of my love, they are Barbie girls, stiff and peculiar.

You were that I adored-ah

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?

-How could you fail me and force me to see girls? You left your love for me way behind. In Georgia.

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match

-And from this moment there was only pain and misery in my life!

You couldn’t even dress me, I’m better than you to know what to wear and what suits me.

Of course, how could you even question that, I have it in me.

So she dressed me up as the man she loved

-She tried to dress me the way she thought men was supposed to dress, like my father for example.

And dressing has a wider meaning, manners and the way we behave.

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

-But she really didn’t care in the long run.

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

-I am tortured and have so much pain.

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you?

-How could it be like this?

How could you not love me for the person I am?

You frighten me.

On a long lost day when you’re grey and old

Would you be there remembering your old toy boy?

When you’re old and wise? will you look at me?

Tell them the story of a boy like me

-Will this be a lesson for you? Ever?

Will you be wiser some day and realise what you have done to me, tell the story?

very interesting interpretation....

thank you Sienna... I really enjoyed reading it :thumb_yello:

holy macaroni. my internet goes down for two days, and you guys could talk albert's ear of. how am i gonna catch up on all your conversation? :blink:

Just call your school and tell them you got more important things to do!

Make some sandwiches and tea and voalà...you're good to go!:naughty:

very interesting interpretation....

thank you Sienna... I really enjoyed reading it :thumb_yello:

Thank you so much for the nice words!:wub2:

Sexuality, like much of our personalities, isn't something that is carved in stone from the moment of our birth. If it was, puberty wouldn't be so confusing and stories like Billy Brown would never happen. There are a great many things that contribute to how we discover who we are and how we get shaped into who we are. If all of that was simple, we wouldn't be so confused by people who are different than us and there wouldn't be so much fighting about why we are different and what we should do in order to get along.

And that's my opinion on that.

In fact I think sexuality is something you have from birth on. I am not a scientist, I saw some very serious documentaries about the subject.

It is not known how you get your sexual orentation, but they are quite sure it starts in the womb.

A story like Billy Brown could defo indeed happen in this world where sexual orientation other then normal hetero sexual is not accepted. E.g. a lot of men got (and get!) married to a woman to keep up appearances. Or just realize later in life what their orientation is.

-She tried to dress me the way she thought men was supposed to dress, like my father for example.

This was my idea also. Not that she made him like the image of another man, but how she'd like to see him.

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold and the smartest styles

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry

Just setting it, telling the story.

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything

It is wonderful thing for any (mother) to have a little toy boy.

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

-Because I’m gay and not like other little boys

Come a little close I’m going to pull your hair

-But I have learned to protect myself in this matter, just try me!

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you

-We have found each other and are happy so far, hold me and feel that I’m just like you. Two boys feeling comfort!

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl

Now mama had to break in, this is not acceptable, you are better of with a girl.

-But in my world girls are not the subject of my love, they are Barbie girls, stiff and peculiar.

You were that I adored-ah

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?

-How could you fail me and force me to see girls? You left your love for me way behind. In Georgia.

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match

-And from this moment there was only pain and misery in my life!

You couldn’t even dress me, I’m better than you to know what to wear and what suits me.

Of course, how could you even question that, I have it in me.

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

-But she really didn’t care in the long run.

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

-I am tortured and have so much pain.

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you?

-How could it be like this?

How could you not love me for the person I am?

You frighten me.

On a long lost day when you’re grey and old

Would you be there remembering your old toy boy?

When you’re old and wise? will you look at me?

Tell them the story of a boy like me

-Will this be a lesson for you? Ever?

Will you be wiser some day and realise what you have done to me, tell the story?

You amaze me, i have exactly the same interpretation!

:shocked:

Kinda makes you thing about SITM orientation, innit???

In fact I think sexuality is something you have from birth on. I am not a scientist, I saw some very serious documentaries about the subject.

It is not known how you get your sexual orentation, but they are quite sure it starts in the womb.

A story like Billy Brown could defo indeed happen in this world where sexual orientation other then normal hetero sexual is not accepted. E.g. a lot of men got (and get!) married to a woman to keep up appearances. Or just realize later in life what their orientation is.

This thread is getting very constructive!

Just call your school and tell them you got more important things to do!

Make some sandwiches and tea and voalà...you're good to go!:naughty:

well, its saturday, and i've got to go out in a hour. oh well, i'll spend that time knuckled down into some serious catching-up.

This was my idea also. Not that she made him like the image of another man, but how she'd like to see him.

Yes, it's genius to make the comparison of having a doll to dress!

You amaze me, i have exactly the same interpretation!

:shocked:

Kinda makes you thing about SITM orientation, innit???

Definitly!:wink2:

This thread is getting very constructive!

It is indeed!:thumb_yello:

There is still a lot of debate and observation going on in the field of this kind of research. We don't have any definitely specific answers yet.

What we do know is that there is a wide spectrum of feelings and expressions that is not easy for anybody to figure out. So, rather than people being strongly one way or the other, we have people all over the spectrum, including the middle.

There are also all kinds of factors affecting where people end up on the spectrum in terms of feelings and expressions and how far a person can travel along that spectrum in a lifetime.

Documentaries are good introduction to the basic points, but actual research covers more of why there's a spectrum, how people fit onto it and change their position and all of that sort of thing.

My point was that sexuality is not a static unchanging thing, but rather is a dynamic expression of stuff we are only beginning to figure out.

I probably could have worded that better because I didn't mean to open a can of worms about whether people have an inherent sexuality beyond their choosing or if they are able to choose. I think there's plenty of evidence suggesting that sexuality is NOT a choice and certainly wasn't seeking to undermine that. Merely acknowledging that there's a wide range of how people learn to express what none of us fully understand.

I do agree with you Rivers. I too didn't want to start a discussion about how sexual orietation evolves. I am curious about it tho, but there is another place and another time for me to quench my thirst for science....:wink2:

*whew* I was afraid I'd inadvertently started something that was totally not my intent!

Let me know if you need any help tracking down anything specific. I'm good at finding reliable resources :punk:

Okay I will! :thumb_yello:

But now I have to go to bed, so: goodnight, talk to you later:punk::punk:

I think at the end of the song, instead of "How'd a boy once who loved you, know be so afraid of you"

I think its "had a boy once who loved me, now he's so afraid of me"

:naughty::thumb_yello:

And I guess you got it good!

So much more could be taken from these lyrics, I'm a bit uneasy about something else that came to mind like... being a sewer of curtains to ballet tutu's, the reference to voodoo pins and clothing etc.... (he could have taken this inspiration from closer to home). and how TB feels that the real him is locked away in an old toy box hidden so he has to live the lie of a life that the hag wants... she has made him sell out and disguise who he is and it's too painful to bear.

I adore how this is song plays like a wind up toy, it speeds up in the middle and slows right down again at the end like it needs winding up again..... bloody awesome, I think it's totally superb.

So much more could be taken from these lyrics, I'm a bit uneasy about something else that came to mind like... being a sewer of curtains to ballet tutu's, the reference to voodoo pins and clothing etc.... (he could have taken this inspiration from closer to home). and how TB feels that the real him is locked away in an old toy box hidden so he has to live the lie of a life that the hag wants... she has made him sell out and disguise who he is and it's too painful to bear.

I adore how this is song plays like a wind up toy, it speeds up in the middle and slows right down again at the end like it needs winding up again..... bloody awesome, I think it's totally superb.

Oh that's true! Good thinking ;)

My favorite new song so far! I loove it.

I love how it sounds like a wind up toy too!

Now I have Coin-Operated Boy by the Dresden Dolls stuck in my head :naughty:

oh yea another song I think is fab.

ps I also hear this in these parts of the lyrics

It’s a cruel CRUEL cross that I have to bear

You KNOW that I adored YA

"More than an illustration

Points of articulation"

I'VE GOT IT!!

that part - is removed from the actual storyline; i think those two lines are about the actual song, toy boy.

first line: More than an illustration. OK. this is saying; the doll is more than a illustration; i am the doll, or something like that.

second line; Points of articulation. thats saying; there are parts of this song to articulate over, but just for that, you can ponder over them.. but? it doesnt expand on that point.

"More than an illustration

Points of articulation"

I'VE GOT IT!!

that part - is removed from the actual storyline; i think those two lines are about the actual song, toy boy.

first line: More than an illustration. OK. this is saying; the doll is more than a illustration; i am the doll, or something like that.

second line; Points of articulation. thats saying; there are parts of this song to articulate over, but just for that, you can ponder over them.. but? it doesnt expand on that point.

yep I thought that bout the first line too, and the 2nd line could mean either he is good at articulating his story or/AND the TB was rather special as it was more than just a physical resemblance to the boy it even has articulated joints etc.