The Australian Thread: Party Twenty Two

nico_collard

awww they are very cute :wub2:

ntawwwwww!!!!! how sweet are they!!! :wub2: i simply love cats just something about them makes me feel all warm inside! :wub2:

how old are they if you dont mind me asking? :teehee:

They are so cute and cuddly when I see them ... Cleo is 2 or 3 and Jack is 9ish

Awwww, what cute cats!
Yup they sure are

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully :biggrin2:

Yaes!

:poke:

Where are you all? :sneaky2:

At that time I would've been on my way back from seeing the neurologist.

I wasn't supposed to see him again, but this morning i ended up having two minor seizures, and I ended up in hospital. They did a CT scan which didn't show any new clots, but showed that one of the main arteries in my brain is quite large (not sure how that will affect me). Then eventually I saw the neurologist and it was his opinion that I'd had 2 seizures. I ended up getting discharged at about 3:30, then at 4:30 I went to have an EEG, which showed there was some seizure activity on the left side of the brain so I'm gonna be back on seizure meds.. So I'm absolutely buggered.

So I know some of you are big youtube watchers (I hope).

Also some of you have kids, another area I need expertise in.

So hopefully you guys can help me out (education assignment wise again :naughty:)

Okay firstly I need to know what kind of shows kids (any primary school age, though I'll also take highschool) are watching nowadays at home, and what shows/movies they might have watched recently in the classroom (for parents/people with younger siblings)

For others: do any of you have examples of youtube videos which have really stereotypical gender roles to the point of being out there/outrageous/almost ridicilous in how stereotypical/sexist they are? :naughty:

(I'm looking myself but would love suggestions)

I will ask the kids.

Soangel, I decided not to ask the kids, best to leave them while they are quiet.

Here is some info, hope it helps.

DS7 and DS10 DD13 and DD4 (I think DS17 is in there too actually) are watching masterchef right now. I think it started from playing Sims3 and running a café on there, the boys in particular, get dressed up just like the sims in aprons and beanies, and cook. DS 7 and 10 aren’t into tv so much these days more games. Their favourites at the moment are Sims and age of empires style games. You could be guaranteed that if all the contestants on masterchef were women, or the sim’s chefs were all girls, they would be way less interested in the whole thing. Its sort of cool for boys/men to be into cooking at the moment.

My kids all seem to love watching old re runs of I dream of Jeannie and Bewitched. Which I suppose are pretty stereotypical as far as gender goes, and the women only hold their own cause they have magic on their side.

Grace is only 4 but she loves girly stuff. Its weird because I did notice with the boys, that they loved that stuff too, barbie in the nutcracker and the like, until they realised it was ‘girly’ (at around 5-ish - school age) and then they decided they hated it. So I don’t believe they actually hate it (they have an excuse to watch occasionally because they can hide behind the fact that their sister put it on and they appear to enjoy it) but even at that age, as soon as they had input from older kids and classmates) they became worried about putting themselves at risk of appearing girly, or maybe babyish. I suppose its just a survival thing, doing what you think you are meant to do to fit in.

A couple of animated shows the boys like are Avatar and Star Wars, and they have some strong female characters.

Kids shows do have a lot of power with gender perceptions because I know if I tell Grace something is ‘for boys’ she will instantly veer away from it, and likewise if they boys get a ‘girly’ vibe from a show they will switch off. The popular shows have a big influence over the kids who watch them, usually my kids will watch a show and then if they go and play lego afterwards, they will be re-inacting scenes from the show with the lego men.

DD13 is into twilight lol, I don’t think they really watch movies at school. They seem to be very careful to give girls and boys the same experience now, not like when I was there and the girls did cooking and sewing and the boys did woodwork and metalwork.

Its hard not to be stereotypical because men and women are different, and although there are many exceptions there are a lot of families where men and women still fit the old mold. I suppose the thing that is shaping my kids ideas more than tv etc, is watching me and DH. I because I have so many kids the older ones have a very clear picture in thier heads of me being home, pregnant, breastfeeding, cooking, cleaning, and DH going to work each day.

(My kids are also very used to seeing me mowing the lawn, working on the house, and building things in the garage so I hope that balances it out)

:lmfao:

Okay, I know it isn't funny but...

No, it is funny! :lmfao::roftl:

I meant it to be funny. Cat should've gotten down the way he got up instead of relying on us, or else he wouldn't know the ugly truth about Dad's dark side.:naughty:

So hopefully you guys can help me out (education assignment wise again :naughty:)

Okay firstly I need to know what kind of shows kids (any primary school age, though I'll also take highschool) are watching nowadays at home, and what shows/movies they might have watched recently in the classroom (for parents/people with younger siblings)

For others: do any of you have examples of youtube videos which have really stereotypical gender roles to the point of being out there/outrageous/almost ridicilous in how stereotypical/sexist they are? :naughty:

Two kids' shows on Cartoon Network that I'm really into right now are Chowder and Flapjack.

Here's one of my favorite Chowder scenes, just wish the person who posted it hadn't pasted the names of the voice actors right into the middle of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOLigSw1jM&feature=related

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1wt5UDdY0

I wasn't supposed to see him again, but this morning i ended up having two minor seizures, and I ended up in hospital. They did a CT scan which didn't show any new clots, but showed that one of the main arteries in my brain is quite large (not sure how that will affect me). Then eventually I saw the neurologist and it was his opinion that I'd had 2 seizures. I ended up getting discharged at about 3:30, then at 4:30 I went to have an EEG, which showed there was some seizure activity on the left side of the brain so I'm gonna be back on seizure meds.. So I'm absolutely buggered.

Oh no!:shocked:

Sorry to hear that, Teegs. Stay safe, my dear.

Oh dear Teegs - hope this isn't too much of a setback. :huglove:

First aid training then minor shopping spree. I bought new shoes (well I needed a pair of simple black heels, and then I fell in love with another pair), picked up a layby etc.

Picked up a what? :blink:

Yaes!

Bugger Teegs. You and your attention seeking brain :chair:

Really am sorry to hear this has happened though.

Do the seizure meds make you drowsy? Is that why you dont like taking them?

This isn't going to affect your new job is it?

Chin up Teegs :huglove:

Picked up a what? :blink:

A layby.

The greatest invention since sliced bread for the slightly impoverished but hopeful generation.

You want something but cant afford it so you put it on layby, dont they call it layaway somewhere out there?, anyway, you pay it off over 6 weeks.

Magic.:thumb_yello:

3 year old watches Playschool but recently declared it "naff". Now she watches Winx Club on TV and Barbie and every old Disney fairytale we can get our hands on DVD. Girly girly girly.

10 year old watches The Wizards of Waverley Place (which I recently declared as "naff" but that means nothing) and Escape From Scorpion Island. She watches Twilight, New Moon, Dr Who and Harry Potter on DVD.

In the classroom last year they watched James and the Giant Peach.

wow thats good, how cute give them a little cuddle for me :teehee: :teehee:

I will and take updated pics next time I see them

I got epilepsy and am on seizure meds and yes some can be drowsy but it's a matter of getting around the side effect which is the tricky bit :boxed::shocked:

Sorry to hear that babygirl ... did you get my text this morning darl?

Two kids' shows on Cartoon Network that I'm really into right now are Chowder and Flapjack.

Here's one of my favorite Chowder scenes, just wish the person who posted it hadn't pasted the names of the voice actors right into the middle of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOLigSw1jM&feature=related

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1wt5UDdY0

ohhh i love flapjack, i always watch it he is so funny :aah:

I will and take updated pics next time I see them

aww yay!!! :aah: cant wait to see them :teehee:

and i just got twitter if anyone would like to be followed my twitter name is MeekCheeks :naughty:

Yaes!

****, sorry to hear that Teegz. How ya feeling now? Its a major bugger to have to be on those meds eh. My sister has to take them everyday too.

Glad to hear there were no more clots. Hope all works out for ya Teegz.

I'm so excited! In martial arts class tonight our regional instructor was there and she asked me to do a demonstration at our next grading day. :biggrin2: I'm so happy about being asked.

Sweeeet well done!!! :thumb_yello:

hii alll

just wanna pop in quickly to say hiiiiiiiiiiii

how are you all doing

Hey Shanzii. Im good. Work is busy, but keeps me outta mischief i say LOL Hows you been?

A layby.

The greatest invention since sliced bread for the slightly impoverished but hopeful generation.

You want something but cant afford it so you put it on layby, dont they call it layaway somewhere out there?, anyway, you pay it off over 6 weeks.

Lay-by rocks. I put my 'This is it' dvd's on lay-by last month, and got them out the other day on pay-day :P yayeh!

I meant it to be funny. Cat should've gotten down the way he got up instead of relying on us, or else he wouldn't know the ugly truth about Dad's dark side.

Oh no!:shocked:

Sorry to hear that, Teegs. Stay safe, my dear.

:teehee: I laugh when cats hurt themselves...

Thanks Amy... :huglove:

Oh dear Teegs - hope this isn't too much of a setback. :huglove:

It shouldn't be... I managed pretty well today, not that i did much...

Tell me about it! :sneaky2:

I don't notice any real difference in tiredness when I take the seizure meds, but they do affect my INR, so I'm gonna try and get it tested so I can see if my warfarin doasge needs to change..

It shouldn't affect my job, except that I probably won't get paid for yesterday :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear that babygirl ... did you get my text this morning darl?

Thanks again for the message hun :huglove:

****, sorry to hear that Teegz. How ya feeling now? Its a major bugger to have to be on those meds eh. My sister has to take them everyday too.

Glad to hear there were no more clots. Hope all works out for ya Teegz.

I'm feeling okay, though i have noticed my arm twitching a few times which is irritating... Once it starts to get into my system I'll be fine... and I love the fact that my neurologist isn't going to report to the RTA that I've had a seizure, cause otherwise I'd have to redo my licence like I did last time! :chair:

I may not be on again till Friday or so... I have TAFE again tomorrow so I'll prob just go straight to bed rather than come on here...

Night all!

Yaes!

Oh no, I missed this post, that sucks! So unfair that you have this crap to deal with :(

Hey Shanzii. Im good. Work is busy, but keeps me outta mischief i say LOL Hows you been?

hiii im good alot of school work in the holidays :biggrin2:

been very busy

but i really cant wait to see KICK ASS

:teehee: I laugh when cats hurt themselves...

I'm feeling okay, though i have noticed my arm twitching a few times which is irritating... Once it starts to get into my system I'll be fine... and I love the fact that my neurologist isn't going to report to the RTA that I've had a seizure, cause otherwise I'd have to redo my licence like I did last time! :chair:

Night all!

Oh thats good about ya neurologist not blabbing about ya seizures. That would majorly SUCK if ya had to go through all that bullsh#t again!!!

hiii im good alot of school work in the holidays :biggrin2:

been very busy

but i really cant wait to see KICK ASS

I wanna see kick-ass again!! :thumb_yello: You'll loooove it. :aah:

Oh no, I missed this post, that sucks! So unfair that you have this crap to deal with :(

true, but I just have to deal with it...

Oh thats good about ya neurologist not blabbing about ya seizures. That would majorly SUCK if ya had to go through all that bullsh#t again!!!

For sure! I love my neurologist! He's awesome! :fangurl:

OMG!

this is potentially desasterous! I just got a futureme email from my past self!

But I cant remember who else I sent one to!

my futureme email

"dear FutureMe,

I am writing to you from the past almost 1am on the 21st of april 2009

you are a wounderful person dont you ever forget that!

remember that I plan to learn to surf and guitar, and see snow

you can do what ever you want, if you want him, go get him!

you will move out soon, its almost your 21st and you can tell that you have had almost enough of things at home! I just got our new laptop now! its so wounderful!

if all has gone according to plan you should be in america right now as you are reading this...so? make it? I hope so!"

A layby.

I don't think we have a term for it any more - everyone just seems to get everything they want straight away using credit cards :naughty:

Wool shops are about the only places I can think of where they still put stuff by for you until you need to get it :dunno:

OMG!

this is potentially desasterous! I just got a futureme email from my past self!

But I cant remember who else I sent one to!

my futureme email

"dear FutureMe,

I am writing to you from the past almost 1am on the 21st of april 2009

you are a wounderful person dont you ever forget that!

remember that I plan to learn to surf and guitar, and see snow

you can do what ever you want, if you want him, go get him!

you will move out soon, its almost your 21st and you can tell that you have had almost enough of things at home! I just got our new laptop now! its so wounderful!

if all has gone according to plan you should be in america right now as you are reading this...so? make it? I hope so!"

Why are you so sure you sent one to someone else?

Archived