Mika - My London Evening Standard 8/1/10

Naectegale

And you can't turn off to correct yourself, because there never seems to be a left/right turn, when you need one!:naughty:

and you can't stop to check the map becasue there's no room to pull over, and there's always a queue behind you :roftl:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep - driven across central London a few times - it's OK if you know where you are going. It once took me an hour to get from Kings Cross to Islington becasue i went badly wrong :roftl::blush-anim-cl:

Yeah, I find it alright if I know exactly what my route is and where I will need to turn in advance, etc (which, when I've been driving around, I mostly don't) but it can get tricky otherwise with all the one-way streets, etc...:aah:

I tend to avoid it big time, and I have no real need to drive around London anyway, so since I stopped driving to work a couple of years ago I've hardly gone into the center with the car. It takes way too long from where I live, as the traffic around the south is horrid :blink:.

Ever driven around Piccadilly and Westminster?

The roads you mention are heaven compared to them!

Westminster is like driving around a Dodgem Car rink!!!

Westminster? That's nothing compared to the Elephant & Castle area; The Roundabout From Hell :sneaky2:

and you can't stop to check the map becasue there's no room to pull over, and there's always a queue behind you :roftl:

Yes, that's one of the things that stress me out. I remember driving from Canary Wharf to pick hubby up at Barts Hospital, and I nearly died whilst driving through the City an having no idea of where the heck I was going, or if I would end up in the right place :naughty:. I guess that it doesn't help either that I'm not exactly the chilled, zen type :biggrin2:.

Thank you posting this article Naectagale.:thumb_yello:

It is always nice to learn a few more things that Mika likes - though when he gets too many interviews at once he likes to fib too.:roftl:

He's always fibbing, it doesn't even require for him to have a few interviews at the same time :lmfao:

Yeah, I find it alright if I know exactly what my route is and where I will need to turn in advance, etc (which, when I've been driving around, I mostly don't) but it can get tricky otherwise with all the one-way streets, etc...:aah:

I tend to avoid it big time, and I have no real need to drive around London anyway, so since I stopped driving to work a couple of years ago I've hardly gone into the center with the car. It takes way too long from where I live, as the traffic around the south is horrid :blink:.

Westminster? That's nothing compared to the Elephant & Castle area; The Roundabout From Hell :sneaky2:

Yes, that's one of the things that stress me out. I remember driving from Canary Wharf to pick hubby up at Barts Hospital, and I nearly died whilst driving through the City an having no idea of where the heck I was going, or if I would end up in the right place :naughty:. I guess that it doesn't help either that I'm not exactly the chilled, zen type :biggrin2:.

Oh yes, that is a pain to drive around, if you get in the wrong lane at all, it's a nightmare to get out of it!!!:shocked:

Oh yes, that is a pain to drive around, if you get in the wrong lane at all, it's a nightmare to get out of it!!!:shocked:

I know :sneaky2:. Total nightmare. I ended up in the wrong place and it took me a while to realise that I had, so I had to take this strange detour through who knows where, until I found an area that I vaguely recognised.

Another time, whilst driving to work, I got creative and figured that I would try and find a "shortcut". I ended up getting lost and taking an extra 1.5 hours, so I had to call my boss to tell him that I would be very late that day (I think that I may have blamed it on a puncture :blush-anim-cl::naughty:).

You pussies.

:roftl:

I was just thinking about you while I was reading their stories!:biggrin2::wub2:

Well I don't know my way around everywhere and I do take wrong turnings sometimes, but hey. Some places I know pretty well, parts of West, North and Central London.

The place I have the biggest problem with is Liverpool St Station. I can never find it. Unless I have Jennie as my personal sat nav. :naughty:

Well I don't know my way around everywhere and I do take wrong turnings sometimes, but hey. Some places I know pretty well, parts of West, North and Central London.

The place I have the biggest problem with is Liverpool St Station. I can never find it. Unless I have Jennie as my personal sat nav. :naughty:

But you found my hotel against all odds, remember!:wink2:

With all those dead end streets and heavy traffic, so crazy!:roftl:

Liverpool Station was the place I spend the whole night outside, waiting for a bus to Stanstead, and I had no idea whether it would come or not, it was after SW.

It really surprised me that it could be so cold in London in the month of June!:naughty:

Neat Article :thumb_yello:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/article-23792087-mika---my-london.do

I've been in that Homebase in Earls Court :biggrin2:

And I love the ducks quote

"What animal would you most like to be?

A duck. When I was a child I was obsessed with them. They get fed, they don't have money problems and they go on holiday for free in big groups of friends."

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

nice article!! what makes it even more interesting is that most of the questions are about london. love this city so much, i've been obsessed with it ever since i was fifteen:biggrin2:

t4p

Interesting! Okay so I had to Google all these places that I'd never heard of, but it's all good. :naughty:

Why would he go to Homebase when he's depressed? Doesn't it sell furniture and appliances? Couches cheer him up? :roftl:

And, what's up with the sheep reference? Do people walk sheep in central London? And he's really into Eel Pie Island, isn't he. I wonder if someone took him on a date there, for a romantic stroll around the island. :das:

And yes, I also thought his Fiat was red. I suspect it will change colour depending on the interview. :naughty:

Interesting! Okay so I had to Google all these places that I'd never heard of, but it's all good. :naughty:

Why would he go to Homebase when he's depressed? Doesn't it sell furniture and appliances? Couches cheer him up? :roftl:

And, what's up with the sheep reference? Do people walk sheep in central London? And he's really into Eel Pie Island, isn't he. I wonder if someone took him on a date there, for a romantic stroll around the island. :das:

And yes, I also thought his Fiat was red. I suspect it will change colour depending on the interview. :naughty:

Homebase is a DIY store - it sells paint and doorknobs and drills and electric fittings and lighting and garden equipment and doors and flooring and stuff. :biggrin2: I like wandering around DIY stores too :blush-anim-cl:

Mika is confusing being Mayor wth being given the Freedom of the City of London, which gives you the right to herd your sheep over London Bridge.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Local_history_and_heritage/Freedom_of_City/

"A number of ancient privileges are associated with the Freedom - although they are more a product of collective memory than of documented evidence. They include the right to herd sheep over London bridge, to go about the City with a drawn sword, and if convicted of a capital offence, to be hung with a silken rope. Other advantages are said to have included the right to avoid being press-ganged, to be married in St Paul's Cathedral, buried in the City and to be drunk and disorderly without fear of arrest." :lmfao:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Local_history_and_heritage/Freedom_of_City/priveleges.htm

By making this mistake, he dodges a political question - the expected answer would be something like "make the buses free to Londoners" or something.

Ha! Same here! I'm still in awe :bow: When I grow up I want to be as fearless as Bab!

-This is the bus lane.

-Yeah, I see.

:blush-anim-cl:

What, like after Graham Norton? :lmfao:

Yeah you should have stayed for dinner, it was really nice...

btw, why does mika love to buy bits of wood, what does he do with all that wood? :blink::roftl: ok, he might throw it in his fireplace - but the way it sounds, that wood has sth to do with DIY, so it's not really meant for the fireplace, or did i get that wrong? :blink:

Yeah you should have stayed for dinner, it was really nice...

I'm sorry I live in Essex lol :aah:

No seriously, I wish I lived closer to London.

Or IN London...I wanted to stay :(

Nice end to the evening though eh, with that creepy man banging on about trains in South Africa or whatever the hell he was on about :aah:

I'm sorry I live in Essex lol :aah:

No seriously, I wish I lived closer to London.

Or IN London...I wanted to stay :(

Nice end to the evening though eh, with that creepy man banging on about trains in South Africa or whatever the hell he was on about :aah:

Oh haha I forgot about him. :naughty: Maybe we should email him see how he is getting on? :aah:

Homebase is a DIY store - it sells paint and doorknobs and drills and electric fittings and lighting and garden equipment and doors and flooring and stuff. :biggrin2: I like wandering around DIY stores too :blush-anim-cl:

Mika is confusing being Mayor wth being given the Freedom of the City of London, which gives you the right to herd your sheep over London Bridge.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Local_history_and_heritage/Freedom_of_City/

"A number of ancient privileges are associated with the Freedom - although they are more a product of collective memory than of documented evidence. They include the right to herd sheep over London bridge, to go about the City with a drawn sword, and if convicted of a capital offence, to be hung with a silken rope. Other advantages are said to have included the right to avoid being press-ganged, to be married in St Paul's Cathedral, buried in the City and to be drunk and disorderly without fear of arrest." :lmfao:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Local_history_and_heritage/Freedom_of_City/priveleges.htm

By making this mistake, he dodges a political question - the expected answer would be something like "make the buses free to Londoners" or something.

Oh, how could i waste such an image...:mf_rosetinted:

j950yw.jpg

Archived